PDA

View Full Version : Grill Marks Question for the Judges

powerpig
03-09-2013, 04:42 PM
I feel I have the taste of my chicken down pat. Tied for first in taste in the last comp, but average on presentation.

I'm thinking of a quick sear of the chicken to add grill marks before my traditional way of preparation. I feel it would look more appetizing. What say you?

Rookie'48
03-09-2013, 06:08 PM
If the grill marks enhance the appearance - yes :-D !

I know of a couple of teams who have added them with good results. But you gotta be careful, don't burn the skin & don't go overboard with them :shock:.

DanaK6JQ
03-10-2013, 11:22 AM
You're playing with fire, literally, with grill marks. A CBJ is not going to complain about a grill mark that isn't there, but there's always a judge that expects perfection if there is a grill mark. Give it a try in a test cook, put the pieces in a box to evaluate the appearance.

Good luck!

rib runners
03-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Good luck at getting 6 or more pieces to look alike from the grill. It's hard to do and could change your flavor. You can score well without it. Strive for same size and color in the box for your apperance.

Ron

Pitmaster T
03-10-2013, 07:42 PM
http://youtu.be/cNN2TLEvfWs

At about 1 minute just look what goes into presentation of a Mc Donald's Burger.

DanaK6JQ
03-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Good luck at getting 6 or more pieces to look alike from the grill. It's hard to do and could change your flavor. You can score well without it. Strive for same size and color in the box for your apperance.

Ron

Exactly, once you have grill marks, then some judges will want them to be all the same-looking in the box.

Crash
03-11-2013, 12:28 AM
My first thought upon seeing this post was the chicken with grill marks that Bigmista did a while back. He might be able to shed some good light on this for you.

As for me, I think there are more important aspects of appearance that should be focused on for competition. Uniformity and sauce/glaze application are the first two that enter my mind.

mobow
03-11-2013, 07:47 AM
I would not put my energy there. Focus on trimming, saucing and arranging in the box. keith

rweller
03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
I would not put my energy there. Focus on trimming, saucing and arranging in the box. keith
I would agree!!!

DawgPhan
03-11-2013, 01:09 PM
this one is easy. if your taste is there, just post a picture of your box and everyone will tell you what is wrong with it. Most folks can't get the taste so you would be ahead of the game.