PDA

View Full Version : Germany. yeah that's right.

Sawdustguy
01-27-2006, 01:24 PM
How's Germany for a roadtrip. Yup, going to Munich, the Beer capitol of the world on March 25th thru April 1st. May not be alot of Que but I am gonna drink me a chit load of beer. Why not? It's a company business trip.

racer_81
01-27-2006, 01:26 PM
How's Germany for a roadtrip. Yup, going to Munich, the Beer capitol of the world on March 25th thru April 1st. May not be alot of Que but I am gonna drink me a chit load of beer. Why not? It's a company business trip.

wurst and kraut !!!

WooHoo!

BobberQer
01-27-2006, 01:31 PM
You'll love it and come back never wanting to drink American beer again!!! I lived in Germany, both in ,and out of the Army.. Munich is a blast...I'll fill ya in at the Mini Bash in Feb, sans death, that is

CharlieBeasley
01-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Swinehocsin(spelling optional) Ham hocks to us southern boys GRiN

Arlin_MacRae
01-27-2006, 01:41 PM
That would be "schweinhaxen", and man those are GREAT.

Too bad you won't be there for Oktoberfest, Sawdust.

chad
01-27-2006, 02:22 PM
There used to be a place in Berchestgaden (sp) that served some pretty good ribs - I have no idea how he cooked them and didn't care.:razz: It's a drive from Munich...but if you get time for a side trip the history in that place is enough to warrant the trip.

It was in the basement of one of the local businesses just down the hill from the Gen. Walker Hotel...good ribs and great beer! The owner would ask you at the end of the meal, "corn"? Most moronic Americans would say "no corn" and miss out on the excellent schnapps that was being offered!!:biggrin:

BobberQer
01-27-2006, 03:01 PM
and thy got this stuff in Bavaria called Enzian.. made from flowers that grow above the tree line in the alps.. like jet fuel that chit!!! Avoid it at all costs!!!!!!!!!! Berchestgarten was where Hitler's Eagles Nest was.. and in the Mc Donalds, they sell beer .. called Happy Macs.. :eek: lmao no chit!!!

Smoker
01-27-2006, 03:04 PM
"and in the Mc Donald's, they sell beer .. called Happy Macs"

thats got to be better than the spaghetti Mac Donald's serves in the Philippines

ZILLA
01-27-2006, 04:34 PM
My son is stationed just north of Franfort at Ray Barracks he loves it there. Have fun man!

BobberQer
01-27-2006, 04:48 PM
"and in the Mc Donald's, they sell beer .. called Happy Macs"

thats got to be better than the spaghetti Mac Donald's serves in the Philippines

due to the strictness of the German beer laws, it is actually the same beer that you would get in any Guesthaus local to the area.... yum yum good:shock:

parrothead
01-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Make sure you make it to the Haufbrauhaus!. The best bar in the world. I did that when I was 15 years old. Big beers and big fraulines serving them. Buy a souvineer mug before you leave.

Sawdustguy
01-28-2006, 12:37 AM
and in the Mc Donalds, they sell beer .. called Happy Macs.. :eek: lmao no chit!!!

Now thats my kind of fast food! They really take their beer seriously. I had some Germans over to visit some customers of mine back in November and we went to the Black Forest Brew Haus over in Farmingdale after work their last night in the US. I asked them how they liked the beer and they said it was like drinking water. I guess their beers are a bit heavier than ours although they did like the Heffeweise.

Bigdog
01-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Make sure you make it to the Haufbrauhaus!. The best bar in the world. I did that when I was 15 years old. Big beers and big fraulines serving them. Buy a souvineer mug before you leave.
I agree. Great beer and great times. They serve beer by the liter. A couple of those and you are feeling no pain. Be prepared to sing. This is a must stop.

Sawdustguy
01-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Man, you guys are really getting me psyched to go.

Jorge
01-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Man, you guys are really getting me psyched to go.

Get your international drivers license, and if you have a chance get out of town. The small gasthaus out in the villages will provide some of the best food you'll ever eat. The Bavarians do it right. As an American all you have to do is show them courtesy, respect, and an effort to meet them half-way and they will give you incredible service and a meal to remember.

I love that part of Germany if you can't tell.

BobberQer
01-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Jorge writes >>>Get your international drivers license, and if you have a chance get out of town. <<<<<

Driving over there is like going to Disneyland NO SPEED LIMIT!!!!! lol well, ther eis an unofficial speed limit on the Autobahns of 88 miles an hour.. but no one, i mean none pays any attention to it...

not so sure about the international licence requirement.. I went back to visit in 90', i think it was, and drove Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Italy with a California license... best to call a car rental place to be sure...some sign are unique to Europe
http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/roadsigns/

Jorge
01-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Jorge writes >>>Get your international drivers license, and if you have a chance get out of town. <<<<<

Driving over there is like going to Disneyland NO SPEED LIMIT!!!!! lol well, ther eis an unofficial speed limit on the Autobahns of 88 miles an hour.. but no one, i mean none pays any attention to it...

not so sure about the international licence requirement.. I went back to visit in 90', i think it was, and drove Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Italy with a California license... best to call a car rental place to be sure...some sign are unique to Europe
http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/roadsigns/

You are right. Some rental companies may still require it. Last I heard the cost was $10 via AAA which is licensed by DoS to handle it.

Yakfishingfool
01-30-2006, 09:27 AM
I used to live in Fulda about 60 clicks north of Frankfurt. Beautiful area. Last time I was there, it was apple wine season. I went with 15 women and myself. A class in nursing school to study transcultural nursing. Started in England for a week, a 5 day tour of West and East Berlin, and then a trip to Frankfurt for a week. Hammered on apple wine. Probably one of my most memorable trips of a life time. Man it was great!!! Scott

chad
01-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Ah, Fulda...the old USSR's expressway into the rest of Europe!

I did a study for the 11ACR back in 1990 and was told by their XO that their primary function was to be a speed-bump.

You are so right about it being a beautiful area.

BobberQer
01-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Fulda.... brings back memories .. couple of funny stories, but a real eye opener ...I had to go there to deliver munitons at the "Gap", as it was called back then....A Major told us life expectancy in Fulda for a war between Russia and the US, was three seconds... We, US, had 1 tank division, Ruskies had 25.. drank alot of beer that night :eusa_clap

Yakfishingfool
01-30-2006, 02:54 PM
My father was stationed at...wassakuppa (sp) working on US radar installations. Apparently the mountain was always shrouded in fog and we didn;t even know about the glider training center there until we actually got to the top in WWII. Our friends who still live there, raise saluki's. Occaisionally one would get loose, cross the DMZ and be gone. Scary chit around there. I believe it was the USSR's via-duct. S

BobberQer
01-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Yak did you ever get to go to the CAVE?? Hitlers bunker near Straussburg?? another eeire place yikes!!!