PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using the Chicken Thighs from Restaurant Depot?

Q-Dat
03-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Seemed like a good price for a 40 lb case. But I couldn't open it and tell how they looked as far as consistency.

I think the brand was Koch.

deguerre
03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Koch? I've never seen that brand, or even heard of it, but I've never been to RD.

Are they from roosters?:roll:

ButchB
03-05-2013, 12:09 PM
The RD in Charlotte, NC doesn't carry thighs...and I was in there 2 weeks ago and they had changed from IBP pork to Prairie Fresh "minimally processed" brand. Pissed me off after I drove 1 1/2 hours to get some stuff.

thillin
03-05-2013, 12:11 PM
that is a lot of thighs. I try to by fresh for comps. And I hate buying something I cant see.

Sawdustguy
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Sorry I have never seen chicken thighs in our RD.

Full Draw BBQ
03-05-2013, 02:28 PM
We don't have thighs like that at our RD, and I also use fresh, and have to see them before I buy.

Qbert60
03-05-2013, 02:32 PM
I have only seen "Boneless, Skinless" chicken thighs. I bought a case for a catering gig. IT'S A LOT OF CHICKEN. AT LEAST 100 PIECES. I froze it in 10 piece packages.

Ron_L
03-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Our RD doesn't stock them but the meat department manager told me he can get them any time. I've thought about it but decided against it since I have no clue what they look like.

Q-Dat
03-05-2013, 03:18 PM
I probably won't pull the trigger, but I kinda thought it might be worth if there are 100 thighs in there, to take all of the best and most uniform thighs, separate and vac seal/freeze them for comps(with my cooking process it really doesn't matter if its fresh or frozen) and keep the rest for home use.

Thigh meat makes a killer Jambalaya!

Pigs on Fire
03-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Koch Foods is a fairly large poultry producer. Their main fresh product goes to commercial/food service sectors, not in the Piggly-Wiggly.

I bet every RD that any of you walk in has thighs and other fresh poultry products. Hardly any of you have worked in a grocery/meat market, so you don't notice the stacks of waxed cardboard boxes in the other areas of the cooler. It's there. It's just not in those self-serve meat cases you pull the butts, briskets and ribs out of.

And no, I wouldn't buy a 40 lb box of thighs to use for competition. 1. It's a LOT of chicken. Poultry is best prepared and served 'fresh'. The USDA classifies "fresh" as never frozen.

swamprb
03-05-2013, 03:49 PM
40lb cases of frozen thighs at RD here in Whoville!

Mad About Que
03-05-2013, 04:24 PM
if they do have them and they are anything like the quarters, be afraid, be very afraid. sloppy cuts, skin all over the place (and not in a good way)...stuff like that. used to used it for the catering.. then got a crappy case for a good money gig. was embarrased, but had no other option due the time of the day and lunch was the next day at 11:30 delivery.. ugly yardbirds...

Funtimebbq
03-05-2013, 06:10 PM
I understand the 40# case is "thigh meat". When I purchased one for a gathering, it was pieces with very few whole thighs. I cooked (grilled) most of it on the ranch kettle after thawing and marinading. Definately not competition worthy but good tasting.

Benny

NRA4Life
03-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Bought a 40 lb case of the boneless/skinless for a pulled chicken catering gig one time from RD.

sdbbq1234
03-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Don't think the RD up this way has them. If they do, they are in the frozen section and probably by the ton!

I did get some thighs from Costco a while back. They are frozen 2to a pack IIRC. I think like 8 or 10 packs? They seemed pretty good; decent even size (kinda small, but still ok), and they looked pretty fresh. Nice white skin. They cooked up pretty nice.

wallace

zoogme
03-06-2013, 03:56 AM
Yes, We bought them and only found about 16 to 18 pieces that were large enough for a competition.

Stick with small packages is our secret. We buy 8 4-pk packages and we get one large thigh per package. Then we freeze the others for catering or vending.

Hope that Helps,

Sweet Beaver BBQ