PDA

View Full Version : Madison Wisc. bqq ribs where to go

bam
03-04-2013, 07:52 PM
My neice is working in Madison Wisc. and is missing some good bbq. Before the snow comes where is the best in this city?

prodano
03-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Fat Jacks on Monona Drive just north of the beltline is pretty decent. Used to go there in undergrad for all you can eat ribs and chicken on Wednesday nights!

Lytnin
03-04-2013, 09:03 PM
There's a Famous Daves on Park Street. Smokey Johns is over by the airport. There is a Papa Bear's BBQ place that I've heard is decent going towards Cottage Grove. There's a Texas Roadhouse on the east side near the mall as well as a Dickey's BBQ Pit, but I'd steer clear of that as reviews from just about everyone is unanimously crappy. Never been to Fat Jacks but they are on Monona Drive as the previous poster said.

Rockin W Smokers
03-04-2013, 09:04 PM
I would say stay away from Famous Dave's. I have tried Smoky Jon's " 2310 Packers Ave
Madison, WI 53704" it was better than the other ones that I have tried on my work trips to Madison.

cheapbeer
03-04-2013, 09:07 PM
decent ribs at TGIF but not like you would make at home.

superlazy
03-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Sadly Madison is country to itself inside of our great state.
I doubt you will find any good Q.
Have her get her CCW

Bluesman
03-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Sadly Madison is country to itself inside of our great state.
I doubt you will find any good Q.
Have her get her CCW

Better words have never been spoken. The People's Republic of Madison. Have her build an UDS and save the money for meat and beer........:thumb:

Harbormaster
03-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Bam,
If she wants good ribs, she best talk to me. Only way she is gonna get good BBQ in Madison. :wink: We can figure out a way to get her set up.

Famous Daves is ok. It's been a long time since I've had Smokey Jons. If I recall, I was disappointed. Never had Fat Jacks, but I have never heard anything negative about it.

I don't buy BBQ anymore.

BTW, used to have a T-shirt that read "Madison: Sixty two square miles surrounded by reality."

Neonnblack
03-04-2013, 10:16 PM
With harbors impressive list of BBQ's send her over there. lol

oifmarine2003
03-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Harbormaster, that shirt is awesome and true! Much like Chicago!

cheapbeer
03-05-2013, 12:14 AM
I have eaten at famous daves 3 times and have come to the logical conclusion that their cornbread and apples are much better than the bbq. very generic pulled pork and brisket although I did enjoy the dry ribs.

bfraze99
03-05-2013, 02:26 PM
I dunno, I eat at Smoky Jon's for lunch when im in never never land....

Prob... the best you can find...

:wacko:

bam
03-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks for your responses my neice will give them a try. I'll report back what she thought.

superlazy
03-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Bam,
If she wants good ribs, she best talk to me. Only way she is gonna get good BBQ in Madison. :wink: We can figure out a way to get her set up.

Famous Daves is ok. It's been a long time since I've had Smokey Jons. If I recall, I was disappointed. Never had Fat Jacks, but I have never heard anything negative about it.

I don't buy BBQ anymore.

BTW, used to have a T-shirt that read "Madison: Sixty two square miles surrounded by reality."

That shirt would go well with my "I was anti Obama before it was cool" shirt

mjl
03-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Bam,

I don't buy BBQ anymore.

Clark,
These 3 AR Open Rib ribbons would like to have a word with you. I hope the picture turns out ok, they are on a coat hanger in my garage near the push broom.
Huck,
Other that afreemaniii's backyard, Madison is a bbq wasteland. Lots of good food, just not much good bbq. Depending on where she is working, I would recommend The Old Fashioned or Quiveys Grove, both personal favorites.

Matt

Coz
03-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Clark,
These 3 AR Open Rib ribbons would like to have a word with you. I hope the picture turns out ok, they are on a coat hanger in my garage near the push broom.
Huck,
Other that afreemaniii's backyard, Madison is a bbq wasteland. Lots of good food, just not much good bbq. Depending on where she is working, I would recommend The Old Fashioned or Quiveys Grove, both personal favorites.

Matt

Now Children :bored: I cant argue ya all got better ribs then me ...So does Kwik Trip. Been so long since I won anything in ribs I cant remember. We sure do have a lack of quality BBQ joints here in Wi.

ScreamingChicken
03-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Fat Jacks on Monona Drive just north of the beltline is pretty decent. Used to go there in undergrad for all you can eat ribs and chicken on Wednesday nights!Agreed. At FJ's the back ribs come sauced and the spares have kind of a glaze, IIRC. It's been awhile...I should pay them a visit one of these days. Still haven't made it up to Papa Bear's, though.

There's a new place on S. Park St. called...I can't remember. Some kind of Cajun/barbecue menu, I think, and it's in the building where the fried chicken place used to be.

And there's this brand-new restaurant (http://host.madison.com/entertainment/dining/restaurant-news-blair-street-brew-bbq-comes-to-former-full/article_904234bc-8cbc-11e2-8b49-0019bb2963f4.html) on Blair St.

EDIT: The place on Park is JB's Eat-A-Bite (http://jbseatabite.com/#).