PDA

View Full Version : Lee Ann's Chicago Q

BB-Kuhn
03-01-2013, 05:48 AM
My wife and I are headed to Chicago Q - Lee Ann Whippen's somewhat newer Chicago restaurant (I think it opened a year and a half ago or so).

Has anybody eaten there? She and I are pretty excited and have reasonably high expectations, but in the end it's a team of chefs making her recipes for the masses. Still though, it SHOULD be pretty good if not one of the better places around here IMO.

I'm really excited to get the Competiton Ribs from the menu - totally cool to have that as an option for the customers! I her she is pretty friendly when she is there too. I'll report back later!

IamMadMan
03-01-2013, 06:03 AM
My wife and I are headed to Chicago Q - Lee Ann Whippen's somewhat newer Chicago restaurant (I think it opened a year and a half ago or so).

Has anybody eaten there? She and I are pretty excited and have reasonably high expectations, but in the end it's a team of chefs making her recipes for the masses. Still though, it SHOULD be pretty good if not one of the better places around here IMO.

I'm really excited to get the Competiton Ribs from the menu - totally cool to have that as an option for the customers! I hear she is pretty friendly when she is there too. I'll report back later!

Look forward to your update..................

shucker
03-01-2013, 07:27 AM
I live about 45 minutes from her restaurant Wood Chicks BBQ which is in Chesapeake VA. That being said, I have eaten there many, many times. Its hit or miss (more miss than hit lately), but never outstanding. I hope the place in Chicago is much better and I am eager to hear how it turns out.

Bludawg
03-01-2013, 08:17 AM
JM2C but any Q eatin in a Restaurant has always left a less than favorable impression with me. Not that I'm a "Q" snob but if I'm a Payin ya to cook it It better be better than what I get at home. The bigger rock star name and the fancier decor the more it has sucked in my experience, but them I think Ron's Rroadkill Steak Emporium sucks too. The best "Q" you will ever eat comes off your pit & mine.

BB-Kuhn
03-01-2013, 08:54 AM
JM2C but any Q eatin in a Restaurant has always left a less than favorable impression with me. Not that I'm a "Q" snob but if I'm a Pain ya to cook it It better be better than what I get at home. The bigger rock star name and the fancier it is the more it sucked in My experience, but them I think MAcdonalds sucks too. The best "Q" you will ever eat comes off your pit & mine.

Agreed - I don't like ANYBODY's restaurant as much as my own, but after watching pitmasters for years and "getting to know" them all a bit it's exciting to be able to check it out. Plus, I live around Chicago, which contrary to some people's boasting, doesn't really have that much good bbq joints at all. I've been to the south, texas, memphis, etc - what passes up here is sad.

If Chicago Q is good or better, I'm happy to have it around here. We'll see.

BB-Kuhn
03-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Update: Amazing.

It's the only BBQ restaurant I've been to in the Midwest that I prefer to my own.

The normal bb ribs were tremendous. Total traditional, smoky flavor with great tenderness but not mushy. The competition spare ribs were obviously a lot different but I wasn't ready for just how different they ended up being. My comp ribs are different than I make for myself but not this different. They were so sweet and juicy, with a nice glaze. Had a great pull, without the whole rib coming off. Pretty amazing. Completely different color - had a significantly smaller amount of smoke flavor to them. I prefer the smoke of the standard ribs, but can't deny the candy-like deliciousness of the competiton ribs.

The brisket was sold as Kobe, and was the best brisket I've ever had. Simple smoke and beefy flavor, perfect texture and tenderness - slight tug and break on a pull test.

The sides were all good - smoked wings, hush puppies and shrimp. No notes - it was all delicious.

Does BBQ have to be fancy and expensive? Of course not. However, I applaud her for having an upscale place, having upscale items on the menu, top shelf booze, etc. because she keeps the main BBQ simple and delicious. The high brow elements are icing on a cake built on traditional BBQ. It's a really cool place and I loved my visit.

And I usually hate BBQ restaurants. If you're in Chicago, visit Chicago Q.

LTG
03-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Update: Amazing.

It's the only BBQ restaurant I've been to in the Midwest that I prefer to my own.

The normal bb ribs were tremendous. Total traditional, smoky flavor with great tenderness but not mushy. The competition spare ribs were obviously a lot different but I wasn't ready for just how different they ended up being. My comp ribs are different than I make for myself but not this different. They were so sweet and juicy, with a nice glaze. Had a great pull, without the whole rib coming off. Pretty amazing. Completely different color - had a significantly smaller amount of smoke flavor to them. I prefer the smoke of the standard ribs, but can't deny the candy-like deliciousness of the competiton ribs.

The brisket was sold as Kobe, and was the best brisket I've ever had. Simple smoke and beefy flavor, perfect texture and tenderness - slight tug and break on a pull test.

The sides were all good - smoked wings, hush puppies and shrimp. No notes - it was all delicious.

Does BBQ have to be fancy and expensive? Of course not. However, I applaud her for having an upscale place, having upscale items on the menu, top shelf booze, etc. because she keeps the main BBQ simple and delicious. The high brow elements are icing on a cake built on traditional BBQ. It's a really cool place and I loved my visit.

And I usually hate BBQ restaurants. If you're in Chicago, visit Chicago Q.
Thanks for the review. I will make the effort to try it out next time I'm up there.

jeffjenkins1
03-04-2013, 10:12 PM
I meet her once, she gave me her card and said to call before I came up she would let me know if she was there. Very nice place I here.

Glad it lives up to the hype!

Jeff

Bill-Chicago
03-05-2013, 07:00 AM
I just wish it was in a better neighborhood :twisted:

Q Moon
03-10-2013, 06:20 PM
I loved the homemade bread and butter pickles and the onions. Great selection of sauces as well. Quaint little place on Dearborn that I almost mistook for a house. My fave was the pulled chicken and the tour of the kitchen. Such friendly staff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD