PDA

View Full Version : SAM's and Smithfield

Pappy Q
02-27-2013, 02:01 PM
I've been told that SAM's is going to start carrying Smithfield "Competition Packs" of ribs and butts. Supposedly 2 packs of spares and 2 packs of butts in special packaging. Anyone else heard this and if so when it will happen?

Shiz-Nit
02-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Interesting if true. I wonder if the grade of meat will any better? Nice straight bones would be sweet.

Just Pulin' Pork
02-27-2013, 03:09 PM
I just attended the NBBQA conference this past weekend. A hog from Smithfield was one of the 3 hogs cooked for a class and SAMS, being a huge supporter of the NBBQA this would not surprise me.

Slamdunkpro
02-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Smithfield showed them off at the KCBS meeting. The ribs are packed back to back so you can see the tops of both racks. The butts are supposedly hand selected.

Pappy Q
02-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Smithfield showed them off at the KCBS meeting. The ribs are packed back to back so you can see the tops of both racks. The butts are supposedly hand selected.

Did they give any indications when they would be available?

Pigs on Fire
02-27-2013, 03:29 PM
So some companies are finally starting to acknowledge the competition BBQ market....Hmmmm

hogzillas
02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
In my local Sam's I've had some SF butts & ribs & have had good success with them taste wise but as far as appearance that's run the full range of wouldn't give it to a starving dog I hated to give it to the judges. Only thing I can hope for is like what someone posted above, it that the ribs are evenly cut across & no knife knicks. I would assume the price would be a premium if they go about hand selecting & that's the key question in all of this. Are they going to be hand selected for criteria or are they just going to be the regular stuff packaged in a special way?

Willie's Smokehouse
02-27-2013, 03:44 PM
what would i do with the spare butt?? :confused:

Slamdunkpro
02-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Did they give any indications when they would be available?

Spring 2013

Podge
02-27-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm anxious to see what they have, when they come in.. Now, to find out the delivery dates of my local Sam's to make sure I have a good pick from them, before the dads who boil them show up and buy all the good ones.

hogzgonewild
02-27-2013, 07:43 PM
I spoke with a competition who bought one of these packs last weekend...he said the meat was good quality, but the rib bones weren't straight. Not sure if they are hand selecting the meat for these packs.

$billBBQ
02-27-2013, 08:00 PM
It would be great if you could see both money muscle on the 2 packs of butts.

fnbish
02-27-2013, 08:07 PM
It would be great if you could see both money muscle on the 2 packs of butts.

How do they come where you get them? Do they pack them with the MM facing each other? I've only ever seen them with the money muscle showing.

nucornhusker
02-27-2013, 08:15 PM
How do they come where you get them? Do they pack them with the MM facing each other? I've only ever seen them with the money muscle showing.Same here, one MM on one side, and one MM on the other side.

Q-Dat
02-27-2013, 08:31 PM
$20 says that Louisiana Sam's Clubs never carry them.

RangerJ
02-28-2013, 06:40 AM
$20 says that Louisiana Sam's Clubs never carry them.

Unless I'm mistaken you have more KCBS comps than we do, so you might get them before Texas.

timzcardz
02-28-2013, 06:59 AM
So some companies are finally starting to acknowledge the competition BBQ market....Hmmmm

Or are some companies just starting to see value in "Competition" BBQ marketing.

Thaink about it. I assume that they will be labeled "competition." If you're the average backyard BBQer and you see a pack marked "Competition" aren't you likely to say "WOW! Let me do what the top guys do!" even though it may not be what they use?

smokeisgood
02-28-2013, 10:01 AM
My guess is they will be "packaged for convenience" in certain numbers, but the meat will be nothing special...

timzcardz
02-28-2013, 10:09 AM
It makes sense as a great marketing compliment to the Sam's Club National BBQ Tour.

rooftop bbq
02-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Got this reply

Good morning Andy,

Thank you for your e-mail. Smithfield has partnered with the Kansas City BBQ Society this year, earning their accredited Seal of Approval on two competition-style items, a medium sparerib and 8lb bone-in butt. We are currently working with a few different retailers to secure distribution of the product. We will notify KCBS members and partners on when and where the product will be available for purchase.

Thanks,

Kristen Orr
Associate Brand Manager

DawgPhan
02-28-2013, 11:58 AM
It makes sense as a great marketing compliment to the Sam's Club National BBQ Tour.

the next step is making sure that the teams at the sam's club events are using these comp packs.

timzcardz
02-28-2013, 12:18 PM

the next step is making sure that the teams at the sam's club events are using these comp packs.

My comment was actually geared towards the thought that shoppers seeing the comp going on would be more likely to purchase products marketed as "competition" packs. Surely, that is a much larger potential market than the competitors themselves.

Interstingly, last year while competing at a Sam's event, I was in buying some things for Friday night's dinner and while doing so I had a woman ask me if I might know if the pork butts in the nearby case would be the type of pork to use to make pulled pork. I chuckled saying that with the BBQ competition going on outside, and me standing here wearing a BBQ shirt, that yeah, I might just know! She got some and was heading home to put it in the crock pot, and I bet she enjoyed it too.

The best was at this competition, with Tysons best wing competition also going on, Sam's had no Tyson wings, plenty of other Tyson chicken products, but no wings. Ironic. Missed oportunity.

Rich Parker
02-28-2013, 12:23 PM
I quit buying my competition meats at Sam's as they have started switching producers almost on a weekly basis where one week is IBP, then Farmland, and then Excel.

Q-Dat
02-28-2013, 12:53 PM
I quit buying my competition meats at Sam's as they have started switching producers almost on a weekly basis where one week is IBP, then Farmland, and then Excel.

Down here the ribs at Sam's alternate randomly between Prairie Fresh(Seaboard) and IBP. Its usually Prairie Fresh and they usually have short bones and a HUGE rib tip side that makes up over half of the slab. I wish I knew what they were doing with the 2-3 inches of bone that they cut off of their spares. I used to think they were doing it to make their babybacks bigger but they look the same as any other brand.

Also our Sam's only carries select packers. Usually IBP. The flats are CAB.

thillin
03-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Also our Sam's only carries select packers. Usually IBP. The flats are CAB.

My understanding is it is up to the meat manager what he orders. Our Sams only carried Choice until the meat manager transferred from another store. Now He is moving in select packers, since he said it was preferred at his old store (in a less expensive part of DFW that only carried selects).