PDA

View Full Version : Smoking vs. Grilling for catering.

FLAQUE
02-26-2013, 11:36 AM
I've seen some experienced caterers on the forum sat that they're catering is almost 50% grillling and 50% smoking for clients. Curious to see if that's for most caterers on here or maybe some in a certain region of the country, say California. Like Santa Maria style tri-tip and chicken. I can see why people would want burgers, dogs and chicken for the less exspenive price vs. ribs and briskets. Just want to make sure I get the right setup if there lots of grilling in BBQ catering. It also would depend on your specific menu too, I just don't want to have to turn any potential clients away if I don't have the proper setup.

As always much thanks!

cynfulsmokersbbq
02-26-2013, 11:52 AM
We do all smoking right now, because 1. I love it, 2. it allows me to handle other duties while the meat is smoking. 3. most importantly, we are a BBQ company, and it is the reason people get in our line.

BUT..........
Last year I was at an event where the guy across from me had all his smokers running, but was also grilling some ribeye steak sandwiches and corn on the cob. I chatted with him about it and he was the only one at the even selling steak sandwiches, it gave him something unique to sell and he did better than I did on total sales that day.

I have a couple events we may consider it for this year. We do a rodeo and a couple street festivals that I think ribeye sandwiches would go well at. So I may add it. It does add another person manning the grill though.

I'd be interested in hearing what other do as well.

Pyle's BBQ
02-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Right now I am not doing enough off site stuff. The things I am doing are with my BBQ. If you are vending, IMO I would have a grill available. This would allow you to vary your menu as needed. Like Cynful said you will have to look at the added costs.

Motley Q
02-27-2013, 10:41 PM
I've seen some experienced caterers on the forum sat that they're catering is almost 50% grillling and 50% smoking for clients. Curious to see if that's for most caterers on here or maybe some in a certain region of the country, say California. Like Santa Maria style tri-tip and chicken. I can see why people would want burgers, dogs and chicken for the less exspenive price vs. ribs and briskets. Just want to make sure I get the right setup if there lots of grilling in BBQ catering. It also would depend on your specific menu too, I just don't want to have to turn any potential clients away if I don't have the proper setup.

As always much thanks!

Check out Chiavettas on youtube if you want to see caterers grill hundreds of chicken halves.

For over 50 yrs.

BigBellyBBQ
02-28-2013, 02:04 AM
I grew up with Chiavettas in my home town of Angola, they do a great biz..several crews running all summer..... however for private parties -catering is the question. I try to use my smoker for all foods as having a pit is extra cost for help and the mess if doing 200 halves grilled..Now for even 200 people I can do finishing on a weber or my 5 foot char pit...but do have that as an option
I can do 100 people by my self using the smoker...but when grills are involved you need the help..but you most be versitile..