PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Thought

hogzgonewild
02-21-2013, 06:46 AM
Let me preface this with...NO I did not actually think to try this, it was just one of those bored 7am thoughts at work...

Now,
If someone wanted to turn in a KCBS rib box, with a layer of gold leaf on top of the ribs as the "sauce".....would it be legal?

Could you consider it your "sauce" or "rub"?

Hey, Judges are always saying you need a thin, shine coat of sauce! ;)

Pigs on Fire
02-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Foreign Object.

Why didn't you think of this at Young Harris and do it????

Uncle Buds BBQ
02-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Damn! You took 1st in ribs at YH...now you want to add gold! You crazy! :crazy:

hogzgonewild
02-21-2013, 08:28 AM
My first thought was foreign object too...But the rules aren't straight forward...what's to say BBQ sauce is not a foreign object? It's not meat?

If the rule is "something added during the cooking process to enhance the color or flavor...," I think gold leaf could apply? Heck, they put it on cakes and other food!

And no that wasn't my secret at Young Harris....I've just got to stay one step ahead of you all! ;) I'm hoping I can pull out another victory this weekend and get "Rib King" on my new business cards.

Ron_L
02-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Is it cold and snowy in Georgia? It sounds like cabin fever has set in. :becky:

Uncle Buds BBQ
02-21-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm hoping I can pull out another victory this weekend and get "Rib King" on my new business cards.

Where you at this weekend? I'll be judging Sam's Club at Daphne, AL.

boogiesnap
02-21-2013, 08:55 AM
you could always use this too....

http://trendland.com/color-your-food-with-food-finish/

discussed here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119153

Funtimebbq
02-21-2013, 09:07 AM
I'd say, tell the reps what you plan ahead of time so judges can be reminded that edible "sauce or rub", not pooled or chunked, is legal. Gold leaf in sheets may be questionable but gold leaf sprinkled like a finishing rub should be good. Look forward to hearing of your results.

Benny

CBQ
02-21-2013, 09:18 AM
With gold at $1,600 an ounce, your ribs are going to start making SRF briskets look like bargins. :becky: (Seriously, I think anything over 1/8 of an inch wide could be considered a foreign object, vs. say chunks of something in a sauce.) Maybe gold sparkles in the sauce would be legal though. :becky:

hogzgonewild
02-21-2013, 09:59 AM
I think you guys may be on to something with the Gold finishing rub or sauce.....Just think, I could make my Chicken or Ribs look like a Ranger bass boat!

Yes...Cabin Fever had set in...In order to leave in a timely manner to head to Competition tonight, I got here at 5am.

Uncle Bud's - I'll be trying my hand at Perry for my first GBA.

Untraceable
02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
works better if you marinade the cook with it

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luhhy9S6Dk1qevz7so1_1280.jpg

big matt
02-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Blinged out ribs..now that's thinking outside the box..I'd like to see the judges faces when they open the box.

deguerre
02-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Really fellers. It took 10 replies before this got posted? Alla Y'alls is slackin' off...

works better if you marinade the cook with it

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luhhy9S6Dk1qevz7so1_1280.jpg

wmaes47
02-21-2013, 11:55 AM
"Foreign Object"

KCBS Rep

Fatback Joe
02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Really fellers. It took 10 replies before this got posted? Alla Y'alls is slackin' off...

Well, this aint the wood pile, ya know.

hogzgonewild
02-21-2013, 12:38 PM
"Foreign Object"

KCBS Rep

Could you go into more detail? As a sheet or small pieces inside of sauce/rub too? What makes gold leaf a foreign object over, say, chopped garlic pieces?

Uncle Buds BBQ
02-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Uncle Bud's - I'll be trying my hand at Perry for my first GBA.

Good luck. Let us know how it went!

jketron
02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Marked box

deguerre
02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Well, this aint the wood pile, ya know.

I know. I'm always horrified when I realize I was in the Comp forum after I hit submit sometimes...especially if I'm making a comment from the standpoint of MIM/MSN...

Here's a thought though. If the Goldschlager was used for a marinade or an ingredient in a sauce, and a judge saw a foil flake on the surface of the meat, might that be considered a foreign object by mistake?

Fatback Joe
02-21-2013, 03:22 PM
If the Goldschlager was used for a marinade or an ingredient in a sauce, and a judge saw a foil flake on the surface of the meat, might that be considered a foreign object by mistake?

I would say, almost without a doubt, that it would get called foil.

wmaes47
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Could you go into more detail? As a sheet or small pieces inside of sauce/rub too? What makes gold leaf a foreign object over, say, chopped garlic pieces?

If the judge could see the material as a flashy, shiny object, who notified the TC and the TC said, "I'll call the Rep for clarification", the Rep would use their judgement, after examination, then identify as foil in the sauce or on the meat that wasn't removed or missed by the cook... Foreign object in the box...

Funtimebbq
02-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Which is exactly the reason a cook should let the rep know what they are doing before taking such a risk. If the rep knows in advance that edible gold flakes, not foil, are being sprinkled over meats in the same manner as a finishing rub, the rep will know how to properly respond to the table's concerns.

Benny

BigBellyBBQ
02-22-2013, 12:31 AM
there goes the blues hog reign.....

Bunny
02-22-2013, 08:01 AM
you could always use this too....

http://trendland.com/color-your-food-with-food-finish/

discussed here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119153

HA... DQ!!!! :laugh:

Q-Dat
02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
If the judges are anything like this guy, you're good!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/23/u8ebepyq.jpg

deguerre
02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm liking the idea of that sharp touch of cinnamon in the schnapps as an ingredient for a final glaze...especially on pork.

bbq.tom
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Fix a box and photograph it for BBQCritic and see how it rates!!!

Seriously, if you talk with the REP before turn-in and get their opinion, you will save a LOT of problems for yourself and/or the judges!

boogiesnap
02-22-2013, 04:57 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm liking the idea of that sharp touch of cinnamon in the schnapps as an ingredient for a final glaze...especially on pork...

honestly, you might be onto something there...i'd strain it though.

Q-Dat
02-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Here ya go...

http://www.ckproducts.com/products/5439/1-4-OZ-GLITTER-FLAKES-GOLD-78-690D-/612

deguerre
02-22-2013, 06:45 PM

honestly, you might be onto something there...i'd strain it though.

Seriously. I'm gonna try this at home pretty soon and post the results. Even if I hven't competed yet.

boogiesnap
02-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Seriously. I'm gonna try this at home pretty soon and post the results. Even if I hven't competed yet.

leave off the "yet". ya think the woodpile is a nuthouse? :loco:

deguerre
02-22-2013, 07:01 PM
leave off the "yet". ya think the woodpile is a nuthouse? :loco:
Um, duh? Still, I'm pretty serious at about joining a team at least in the future. :thumb: IF, anyone would have me...

Q-Dat
02-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Um, duh? Still, I'm pretty serious at about joining a team at least in the future. :thumb: IF, anyone would have me...

I would offer for you to come down and cook with me at Mobile, but I can't quite make that one happen.

boogiesnap
02-22-2013, 07:45 PM
HA... DQ!!!! :laugh:

bunny, on what grounds would that be a DQ? it's neither marking(my team name ain't GOLD Q), nor a foreign object.

no sh*t guerry! i had no idea. if i lived in the south, or if you're ever up north....a comp you'd be welcome at with me.

dmprantz
02-22-2013, 09:52 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while. If the gold were on the side and not meant to be eaten, it would be foreign object and/or illegal garnish for sure. The issue is that gold is (somewhat) edible. Goldschlager has been mentioned, and I distinctly remember there is a place that serves a very expensive piece of cheesecake with gold leaf on top. If it's intended to be eaten, how can it be a garnish or foreign object? You don't eat those. Just because it's the only box with it shouldn't mean much. If some one turned in ribs eith a blueberry based sauce, is that marking just because they're the only ones to do it? With the exception of red-tipped lettuce, and red juice in chicken, when does colour ever matter of the things you eat? On the other hand, what do I know about KCBS doing things that make sense, eh?

dmp

NOTE: I said above that gold is (somewhat) edible, and in deed you can consume small quantities of it. It can also lead to heavy metal poisoning if you eat too much.

Funtimebbq
02-23-2013, 08:52 AM
I would say, if it is in leaf form, the rule about chunks in the sauce could come into play as the leaf would exceed the dimensions of a chunk. Same could apply to whole blueberries in a sauce as opposed to mashed up.
A gold sprinkle over the ribs is likely to be good but anyone trying it should alert the rep ahead of time.

Benny

wmaes47
02-23-2013, 09:21 AM
If it's intended to be eaten, how can it be a garnish or foreign object?

Showing or informing a Rep to tell judges that a box will be showing up with sparkely stuff on it, WILL NOT HAPPEN

Then, taking the Rep out of the equation:

As a MCBJ and a box landed on my table... During the scoring, I would balk if I saw flecks of a shiny object on the product and the appearance score would suffer tremendously, probably in the lower boundries in appearance... I would not eat the product

Doing something like this is totally out of the box...

It doesn't affect the taste...

It doesn't affect the tenderness...

It will effect the appearance scores in a negative performance...

I see a DAL in anyone's efforts at a contest with trained judges...

kenthanson
02-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Showing or informing a Rep to tell judges that a box will be showing up with sparkely stuff on it, WILL NOT HAPPEN

Then, taking the Rep out of the equation:

As a MCBJ and a box landed on my table... During the scoring, I would balk if I saw flecks of a shiny object on the product and the appearance score would suffer tremendously, probably in the lower boundries in appearance... I would not eat the product

Doing something like this is totally out of the box...

It doesn't affect the taste...

It doesn't affect the tenderness...

It will effect the appearance scores in a negative performance...

I see a DAL in anyone's efforts at a contest with trained judges...

So if a box showed up with some little sparkly bits of bling on the ribs you would mark down, what if the ribs looked amazing otherwise? Just because something is there that doesn't mean that its wrong, just different. If it came across my table and the flecks were small enough to not constitute a foreign object and the ribs looked great I wouldn't score down because of bling, that's a idiodic assumption.

wmaes47
02-23-2013, 04:28 PM
So if a box showed up with some little sparkly bits of bling on the ribs you would mark down
YES

, what if the ribs looked amazing otherwise?
STILL, NO

Just because something is there that doesn't mean that its wrong, just different
NOT JUDGING INDUSTRY STANDARD - FOREIGN OBJECT IN THE BOX

If it came across my table and the flecks were small enough to not constitute a foreign object and the ribs looked great I wouldn't score down because of bling
A FOREIGN OBJECT CAN BE OF ANY SIZE, WHY DO IT IF NO ONE CAN SEE IT

, that's a idiodic assumption.
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm............ Whom???

dmprantz
02-23-2013, 04:39 PM

Did you ever play organized football? If you did, you might have heard a ref come over to your team before a game to ask about any special or trick plays? You think the ref goes and tells the other team what they are after? No. He likes to know so that he can be prepared for them. It's in that same vein that people acting outside the box should inform reps. Not so that they can inform judges, but so that they can be prepared for them. Apparently your misunderstanding has angered you, which is unfortunate.

dmp

wmaes47
02-23-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm not angry... My skin is tough

Where did that come from???

I made statements to his answers...

Trick plays are allowed in football...

Foreign object in a box are not legal, per KCBS rules...

... end

kenthanson
02-23-2013, 06:00 PM
statement deleted