PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn Barbecue Contest

BrooklynQ
01-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Saturday March 25, 2006
Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn

Benefit for St. Mark Sports Association, non-profit, non-sectarian sports program with special olympics basketball team.

One day contest. Non- sanctioned. Cash prizes and trophies.

4 categories
Dessert contest on top of the 4 other categories

Details to follow. Mark your calendars now! Compete against other Brethren!

BrooklynQ
02-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Rules and entry forms will be available starting tomorrow! Space is limited. Sign up now!

BobberQer
02-01-2006, 04:04 PM
ya mean sign up now...........starting tomorrow :shock:

backyardchef
02-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Now, now, we mean that starting tomorrow you can sign up......

You gonna be cooking?

RichardF
02-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Rules and entry forms will be available starting tomorrow! Space is limited. Sign up now!

Is this a sponsored event.

The_Kapn
02-01-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote from the first post:

TIM

BobberQer
02-01-2006, 04:43 PM
we mean that starting tomorrow you can sign up......

Really :confused: ... Rob told us he did ALL the work metioned an albatross somewhere in the convesation, cant remember in what context it was.

I'll have to see what my work schedule is, but will give it a try ,I'm sure I can make it, but need to qualify that(work)

RichardF
02-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Quote from the first post:

TIM

Non-Sanctioned does not mean non-sponsored.

BrooklynQ
02-01-2006, 04:48 PM

We're talking to a couple of folks. If we get some sponsors it wil increase the prize pool. You want to sponsor it?

The_Kapn
02-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Non-Sanctioned does not mean non-sponsored.

I stand corrected.

TIM

Smoker
02-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Rob,

I will be there to either cook, judge or volunteer my time to help.

Steve

Sawdustguy
02-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Rob,

Just a suggestion, but if the event goes well and you get a sponsor why not try to get it sanctioned for next year? If it's alot of work I would be willing to pitch in some help. I definitely think Brooklyn would be a great place to host such an event.

RichardF
02-01-2006, 07:33 PM
We're talking to a couple of folks. If we get some sponsors it wil increase the prize pool. You want to sponsor it?

Do you have a location that would attract interest?

backyardchef
02-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Well, we have a few times that have agreed to cook it, so I think it will attract teams. Sounds like there might even be some new england folks coming down.

It would be nice to turn it into an annual sponsored event, but that's putting the cart before the horse. Then again, a sanctioned barbeque (not grilling) contest in the city would be awesome.

Albatross, huh? This from a guy that doesn't even cook. :roll:

BrooklynQ
02-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Rob,

Just a suggestion, but if the event goes well and you get a sponsor why not try to get it sanctioned for next year? If it's alot of work I would be willing to pitch in some help. I definitely think Brooklyn would be a great place to host such an event.

Funny you should say that. Some new developments tonight. Stay tuned.

And it won't be next year.

Sawdustguy
02-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Rob,

Good show! For selfish reasons I hope the date changes (you know why). If you need anything or need any help, don't think twice about asking. Great job Rob, I remember you mentioning you wanted to do this for a long time. Dreams come true for those who are patient.

BobberQer
02-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Now, now, we mean that starting tomorrow you can sign up......

You gonna be cooking?

it's "tomorrow".. is there a place we can get the info??

backyardchef
02-02-2006, 08:29 AM
We were trying to put the finishing touches on things last night-- talking with sponsors, etc... There are a couple of cool and exciting changes. Hang tight.

BobberQer
02-02-2006, 08:36 AM
<<<<< hanging... thanks..

Sawdustguy
02-02-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm hanging on for dear life.......:eek: :biggrin:

BrooklynQ
02-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Ok guys - if you're interested, send me an email to BrooklynQ@gmail.com.

I'll get you the cooks packet and registration form. There's a slight delay in gettig the web site up, but it will be up soon.

In a nut shell....

One day, unsanctioned grilling contest - March 25, 2005, Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn to benefit the St. Mark Sport's Association.

Entrance fee is $100. For that you get to cook in all categories. If you want to only compete in one individual category its $75. $25 to compete in the dessert only category. You must cook in every category except dessert to qualify for grand and reserve champion.

Of the entrance fee, 50% will go to the sports program and 50% will go to the prize pool. We have just secured a major sponsor who is adding a nice chunk of change to the prize pool.

Categories:

Chicken Wings - whole or segments - KCBS rules

Fish - Whole, steak or filet. No shellfish or crustaceans. Stuffing allowed. Stuffing to be composed of grain, dairy, vegetable and/or fruits. No additional meat, fish or poulty allowed. - KCBS rules for garnish and presentation.

Pork: Ribs, loin, chop or tenderloin. Bone in or out - chef's choice. Stuffing allowed. Stuffing to be composed of grain, dairy, vegetable and/or fruits. No additional meat, fish, shellfish,crustaceans or poulty allowed. - KCBS rules for garnish and presentation.

Chef's choice - anything but an item that would qualify for the proceeding categories. No Desserts. No garnish rules, except if used, must be edible. Must be presented in 6 seperate and identifiable pices. Must fit into a standard container. No side contatiners. ie:sauce or dipping sauce.

There may be some slight tweaking of the rules before the week is out. We're still thinking thru some of the garnish rules, but the categories are set. This should be enough info to get you started. But feel free to email me if you have questions.

Sawdustguy
02-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Rob,

Is the possible sanctioned event separate from this event?

BrooklynQ
02-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Yup

that's all I wanted to say, but a reply has to be 4 characters or more.

backyardchef
02-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Howabout, yessir?

BobberQer
02-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Yup

that's all I wanted to say, but a reply has to be 4 characters or more.

Wha????? i sent you an email, escuse me, a gmail , or to a gmail... Idont remember how many characters were in the reply firpetesake:eusa_clap you mean the subject line or the body of the reply.. this is suppossed to be easy lmao:shock:

BrooklynQ
02-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Bob - i got your gmail reply. I'm at a client this afternoon, but I'll send you out the info tonight. Thanks for being patient

BobberQer
02-02-2006, 01:18 PM
No problem ,Rob .. thanks for putting this together.. Should be fun, and helps a good cause!!!

ique
02-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Hey Rob, sounds like a fun event. Hope to see you there.

Chris

Ok guys - if you're interested, send me an email to BrooklynQ@gmail.com.

I'll get you the cooks packet and registration form. There's a slight delay in gettig the web site up, but it will be up soon.

In a nut shell....

One day, unsanctioned grilling contest - March 25, 2005, Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn to benefit the St. Mark Sport's Association.

Entrance fee is $100. For that you get to cook in all categories. If you want to only compete in one individual category its $75. $25 to compete in the dessert only category. You must cook in every category except dessert to qualify for grand and reserve champion.

Of the entrance fee, 50% will go to the sports program and 50% will go to the prize pool. We have just secured a major sponsor who is adding a nice chunk of change to the prize pool.

Categories:

Chicken Wings - whole or segments - KCBS rules

Fish - Whole, steak or filet. No shellfish or crustaceans. Stuffing allowed. Stuffing to be composed of grain, dairy, vegetable and/or fruits. No additional meat, fish or poulty allowed. - KCBS rules for garnish and presentation.

Pork: Ribs, loin, chop or tenderloin. Bone in or out - chef's choice. Stuffing allowed. Stuffing to be composed of grain, dairy, vegetable and/or fruits. No additional meat, fish, shellfish,crustaceans or poulty allowed. - KCBS rules for garnish and presentation.

Chef's choice - anything but an item that would qualify for the proceeding categories. No Desserts. No garnish rules, except if used, must be edible. Must be presented in 6 seperate and identifiable pices. Must fit into a standard container. No side contatiners. ie:sauce or dipping sauce.

There may be some slight tweaking of the rules before the week is out. We're still thinking thru some of the garnish rules, but the categories are set. This should be enough info to get you started. But feel free to email me if you have questions.

ique
02-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey Rob,

Have you thought about getting this event sanctioned by NEBS? If it was NEBS sanctioned you may draw more teams interested in NEBS team of the year points.

Smoker
02-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Rob,

Whats the latest update? Entry forms?

BrooklynQ
02-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Well Brothers,

Once again, The Brethren hear the news first. The Grillin On The Bay event is now a NEBS (New England BBQ Society) sanctioned event. The results of this contest will be included toward their team of the year results.

If you want to get the entry forms, rules or cook packets, go to the St. Mark Sports Web Page (http://www.stmarksports.org/) and click on Grillin On The Bay (http://www.stmarksports.org/events.htm). Or send an Email (Grillin@stmarksports.org) to Grillin On The Bay (Grillin@stmarksports.org) and either Matt or I will get back to you.

You can download all the information from there. I'm working on cleaning that up so that the links are more straight forward, but you can get the information now. Or send an Email to Grillin On The Bay and either Matt or I will get back to you.