PDA

View Full Version : sauces for competition

bigbeef24
02-16-2013, 04:47 AM
How much consideration is given for your sauces in competitions? It seems to me it would be difficult because some may like sweet, hot, vinegar or salty.

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS

Mr C
02-16-2013, 07:12 AM
I did my first year of competing last year and the thing I noticed most about sauces was the appearance and consistency is as if not more important then the flavor set you go with. With so many different likes in flavor I would go with one you like that complaments the meat. I would also try to get a good color and light consistant coverage so it does not prevent the judges from seeing the meat under it.

Lake Dogs
02-16-2013, 07:41 AM
How much consideration is given for your sauces in competitions? It seems to me it would be difficult because some may like sweet, hot, vinegar or salty.

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS

Lots and lots of consideration. For this reason I present a very balanced though, not too much of anything you said above. IF the sanctioning body allows sauce on-the-side, I suggest doing that, as it gives the judge an option as to how much sauce he/she likes. IF the sanctioning body allows multiple sauces on the side, use this too to give them choices.

Usually, not every time, but most times, around here the sauce put on lightly to medium (not heavily and/or thick) does best. They saying "its not a sauce competition" applies. However, there's always been exceptions. I've seen a couple of ribs slathering in a thick overbearing awesome sauce win...

Many, MANY times BBQ is presented with sauce that doesnt go well with the injections/rubs being used. Make sure you've "married" these, if you will. Tendencies being tendencies, around here the vinegar and mustard based sauces dont do as well. About a year ago I was at a table where one presented their mustard sauce on the side. This was probably the best mustard sauce I've had in 20 or more years, but it conflicted badly with the rub used on their BBQ. Funny though, at that same table (we found this out AFTER judging), there was a fairly bland entry that was cooked very well that with just a tiny dab of this mustard sauce really popped.