PDA

View Full Version : I-70 between KC and STL

Ron_L
02-15-2013, 05:55 PM
A friend is going to be driving from KC to STL in a couple of weeks and he is looking for recommendations on BBQ places along the way. Any suggestions?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Boy, I would hold out until I got to KC. :mrgreen:

Ron_L
02-15-2013, 06:48 PM
He's going from KC to STL not STL to KC.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-15-2013, 06:50 PM
In that case, I got nothin'.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-15-2013, 06:57 PM
How about sending Jay a PM to get his recommendations? He is in Columbia.

flyingbassman5
02-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Don't know anything along I-70. I-44 I do but I think the only place between KC and STL on I-70 would be to stop in Columbia and checkout the restaurants around the Mizzou campus. I think there are 2 or 3 BBQ joints around town there but I don't know much about them.

Hit STL though and my recommended "must stop" is Pappy's Smokehouse downtown.

1MoreFord
02-15-2013, 10:42 PM
I hear Pappy's Smokehouse in STL is recommended. Also Bogart's Smokehouse.

Midnight Smoke
02-15-2013, 11:08 PM
That looks like a long drive through nowhere. I have no recommendations, other than keep an eye out for signs. The small mom and pop places could be a good bet.

WMI
02-15-2013, 11:26 PM
Here is a recent article in the St Louis Post Dispatch. I personally cannot vouch for any of these, but this articles favorite ( Hendrick's ) is right off of I-70 in St Charles ( suburb of STL )

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/dining/restaurants/taste-test-how-new-barbecue-joints-stack-up/article_69875f00-e187-5c13-9374-58bd2fb4ec93.html

BTW, Pappy's Smokehouse in midtown St Louis is good.

MaximumJEFF
02-16-2013, 05:46 AM
Don't know of anything between. But, in St. Louis I'd check out Iron Barley, Super Smokers and Pennies. I've heard good things about Ropers Ribs. But, haven't personally been there.
Pappy's is overrated.

stlblues
02-16-2013, 08:44 AM
There is a place in Columbia called Shotgun Pete's BBQ Shack. Never been there but it gets good reviews in Columbia Press! Guy named it after his father....even got a drive-thru I understand. Might be worth a look.

Ron_L
02-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks, gang! if anyone thinks of anything else along the road please post. It's a couple of weeks before he will be there.

shirknwrk
02-16-2013, 09:43 AM
If he leaves KC lunchtime or later on Fri, Sat, or Sun it's worth a side trip (5 mi. or so) to Porky's Blazin BBQ on Buckner-Tarsney Rd. (main road through Grain Valley) it's between Grain Valley and Lake Lotawana. It's as good as the reviews say. http://www.yelp.com/biz/porkys-blazin-bar-bq-grain-valley

On a par with the best in KC.
Oh yeah, when the food is gone... it's gone.

WMI
02-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Forgot to mention Bogart's in Soulard area ( South St Louis )

http://bogartssmokehouse.com/

Outnumbered
02-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Biffle's Smokehouse in Concordia, MO is not bad. I've eaten there and would again. http://www.yelp.com/biz/biffles-smokehouse-bbq-and-lounge-concordia

On I-70 around Blue Springs there is a Smokehouse BBQ (Independence Center). It's one of the better sit down BBQ joints in the area, IMO. The beans are fantastic and my kids love the cheesy corn.

If he has time, he needs to just step across the line into Kansas and do Oklahoma Joes at 47th & Mission Rd....or Rosedale in on SW Blvd, again just across the state line into Kansas.

If he's coming through next Friday, have him stop at the Boone County Fairgrounds and take in the Polar Bear Challenge, where he can freeze with the rest of us. :-D

If he's on 70 just coming out of downtown KC, he'll see the signs for Gates or Bryants. Both are good, and they are traditional KC.

colonel00
02-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Tell him to stop in Boonville. I don't know if there are any BBQ joints but how can you not stop in a place named Boonville?

Spartan_Jeff
02-16-2013, 06:02 PM
The last time I made that drive on 70, we stopped in Warrenton and tried Two Dudes barbecue. Its was good, roadside shack, but the wife and I liked it. Looked like they were known for their giant pork steak. Looked it up its at exit193, more towards the St. louis side if i remember right.

rweller
02-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Shotgun petes in Columbia.

I have been to bougards in Soulard market in St. Louis and it was not what I like. The ribs were ok, the prime rib I have had a lot better and the Brisket was not good, real thin sliced, no smoke flaver and no bark or color at all. I won't go there again. JMO

Ron_L
02-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Shotgun petes in Columbia.

That was suggested back in post 11. He's in Columbia today or tomorrow and he's going to try it.

Bellybro
02-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Shotguns Petes is supposed to be good. I dont think they have inside seating???Also in Columbia there is Lutz's and Smokin Chicks and Buckingham's

Bill-Chicago
02-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Shotguns Petes is supposed to be good. I dont think they have inside seating???Also in Columbia there is Lutz's and Smokin Chicks and Buckingham's

Welcome

Go To Cattle Call....

CrackerJack from KC
02-27-2013, 09:42 PM
In KC, Oklahoma Joes, Gates, Danny Edwards BBQ, and Fiorellas if you want fancy.

In St Louis, Pappys, its good for St Louis, but I would put it fifth on the list of the ones I named here, but I might be a little biased. I liked their deep fried corn on the cob, it was good.

Not much in between that I know of. I know there are a couple smoker manufacturers in Columbia, so there has to be some Q around there somewhere.