PDA

View Full Version : Comp Sauce Question Please

Shiz-Nit
02-15-2013, 09:04 AM
this a 2 part question please.

1. Have you won with using a sauce sold at an average store say like Krogers or Walmart.

2. I am wanting to try some new sauces for a base to build on for Comps and instead of me going out buying to much. Could you give me some good sauces that you may like that I can use as a good base to build up on.

Current sauces I have used or use are;
head county - original
blues hog - original and Red
smokin guns
the slabbs
cow town

Spydermike72
02-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Sweet Baby Rays is a pretty common sauce to use as a base...

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-15-2013, 09:16 AM
if you have a costco near by, try Pork Barrel BBQ's sauce. I know its in other grocery stores as well, good stuff! Im happy with the results.

Sal

boogiesnap
02-15-2013, 09:18 AM
big ron's
meat mitch whomp
tasty licks secret
slabs amazing glaze(not as a base, but excellent)
BH smoky mountain
funni bones
plowboys 180

Podge
02-15-2013, 09:42 AM
this a 2 part question please.

1. Have you won with using a sauce sold at an average store say like Krogers or Walmart.

2. I am wanting to try some new sauces for a base to build on for Comps and instead of me going out buying to much. Could you give me some good sauces that you may like that I can use as a good base to build up on.

Current sauces I have used or use are;
head county - original
blues hog - original and Red
smokin guns
the slabbs
cow town

Your list is good enough. I don't know what part of town in Kentucky you're in, but Mark's Feed Store BBQ Sauce (red one) is pretty good stuff.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
02-15-2013, 12:01 PM
+1 on the Big Ron's, it's got a nice kick to it.

rooftop bbq
02-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Shameless plug worning, but we use Rooftop BBQ Sauce as base and work off that for different categories. Anyone else?:grin:

Pappy Q
02-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Your list is good enough. I don't know what part of town in Kentucky you're in, but Mark's Feed Store BBQ Sauce (red one) is pretty good stuff.

Well now you've done it, revealing the KY secret

southernstyle
02-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Garland jacks
Sticky fingers Carolina sweet
bulls eye sweet and tangy
All three are very easy to build on

Q-Dat
02-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Well now you've done it, revealing the KY secret

KY? Really? I would think the Methyl Cellulose would give an off taste...:D

bigbeef24
02-16-2013, 04:43 AM
How much consideration is given for your sauces in competitions? It seems to me it would be difficult because some may like sweet, hot, vinegar or salty.

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS

tiehacker
02-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Big fan of N Carolina Vinegar, but it seems like all I see around the midwest is sweet tomato sauces, However, I did get a second in Ribs once with a bit of "shine" in it. I have judged before, to me ribs start tasting like sugar candy on a bone with all that sweet sauce.

landarc
02-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Not me, but, I have seen quite a few teams using Cattlemen's as a base, then doctoring from there. It is a pretty common food service sauce, and not too bad, not distinctive either, which is why I think it is popular.

Brauma
02-18-2013, 03:30 PM
SBR is the only sauce we can get from a local grocery that we use in comps. But it's never used 100%. Always a blend.

One time, two years ago, a local Kroger carried Blues Hog. But once it was gone they didn't restock. :sad: