PDA

View Full Version : Any Predictions

mobow
02-14-2013, 01:26 PM
I noticed that the pork parting rule is on the agenda for tomorrows board meeting. Any predictions of if it will stand or fall? keith

Scottie
02-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I thought any rule changes had to be submitted last year?

mobow
02-14-2013, 01:50 PM
I thought any rule changes had to be submitted last year?
Don't know about that. It is listed as a motion that the rule be stricken effective immediately. keith

jketron
02-14-2013, 01:57 PM
there will be no parting of the pork :)

Podge
02-14-2013, 02:57 PM
I'd bet the rule stays as-is.

Spydermike72
02-15-2013, 07:03 AM
I would bet it stays as is...

jbrink01
02-15-2013, 07:55 AM
I hope it stays as is, but wish they would enforce a bit more......

Podge
02-15-2013, 08:00 AM
I really don't give 2 $h!ts if it changes or not, it won't change the way I do my pork.. I just think it's pathetic to treat one category differently than the other 3, especially when it is difficult to enforce.

tnjimbob
02-15-2013, 08:24 AM
From KCBS website - Sanctioning & Rules Reports:

http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=610

Motion on Rule # 10
I move that the definition of PORK be changed as follows:
Pork: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, being one piece, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds (bone in or bone out).

Doesn't look to be changing, only clarifying.

mobow
02-15-2013, 10:17 AM
O Motion - Randy Bigler; Seconded by Jeff Stith: In regards to KCBS Rule number 10, under pork, motion is made that the sentence "At no time shall the meat once separated be returned to a cooker" be stricken from the rules effective immediately.

DawgPhan
02-15-2013, 10:20 AM
To be honest I think that KCBS should consider rule changes every year to make sure that they keep the focus on what they consider to be traditional bbq values.

I dont know that butter baths and parting out pork butts is what they traditional view as BBQ, but I think that they have a responsibility to make sure that the rules reflect their views on BBQ and what the teams are presenting as such.

Untraceable
02-15-2013, 10:34 AM
I think its an odd rule being that you can return any other cut of meat to the smoker besides Pork. Hard rule to enforce so why bother?

drbbq
02-15-2013, 10:52 AM
If it passes I can turn in Italian sausage! I'm gonna kick ass!

Podge
02-15-2013, 11:00 AM
If it passes I can turn in Italian sausage! I'm gonna kick ass!

Just as long as you put blues hog on it or it doesn't stand a chance!:razz:

boogiesnap
02-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Just as long as you put blues hog on it or it doesn't stand a chance!:razz:

or whatever the heck you sauce with...

carlyle
02-15-2013, 12:05 PM
There was lively and passionate debate over this at the rules meeting in KC.
Lots of gnashing of teeth and waving of arms.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of it and how and when any changes are implemented.

Not betting either way.

Alexa RnQ
02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Some teams will do their best to conform to the rule as written, some teams will adhere to their own wildly creative interpretation of the rule, some teams will do whatever they want to saying that as long as there's no specific microprohibition of that exact thing it's okay, and some teams will openly declare that they'll do as they damn please because nobody's checking anyway.

Yeah, I'm freaking psychic.

Pappy Q
02-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Only Moses can part Pork

Slamdunkpro
02-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Part / don't part, whatever. It's wrong to change the rule for 2013.

drbbq
02-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Anybody listen to the meeting? Any board members talking to us these days?

Rookie'48
02-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Anybody listen to the meeting? Any board members talking to us these days?

The motion that was passed is below.

Pork: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, being one piece, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds (bone in or bone out).

This Rule change will go into effect for the 2014 BBQ season.

Randy withdrew his motion after the BoD passed mine.

Smoke'n Ice
02-16-2013, 07:09 AM
The motion that was passed is below.

This Rule change will go into effect for the 2014 BBQ season.

Randy withdrew his motion after the BoD passed mine.

This change replaces the current pork rule in its entirety???

"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole
Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork shall
be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
separated during the cooking process. At no time shall the
meat once separated be returned to a cooker."

If this is the case, then it creates a whole new and different category of cooking pieces of pork at different temperatures and times after inspection.

drbbq
02-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Thanks for letting us know Dave. I personally think this is a huge mistake but I do appreciate you being available here.

Slamdunkpro
02-16-2013, 07:21 AM
Pork just became a grilling contest

Kit R
02-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Look at it this way. You've got a whole year to work on your grilling techniques! :decision:

Slamdunkpro
02-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Look at it this way. You've got a whole year to work on your grilling techniques! :decision:
Don't forget butt butchering:-P

drbbq
02-16-2013, 08:34 AM
I don't understand why we have to show up with a 5 lb butt if we can cut it anyway we want after inspection. That's like saying you have to bring whole chickens but can turn in just thighs.

Ron_L
02-16-2013, 09:19 AM
I don't understand why we have to show up with a 5 lb butt if we can cut it anyway we want after inspection. That's like saying you have to bring whole chickens but can turn in just thighs.

Yep, but we'll have a whole year to discuss it at least :)

Funtimebbq
02-16-2013, 09:28 AM
If the BoD's intent is to still have butts cooked in one piece this rule change will likely change two or three times between now and next year. If not, then there is no point in bringing a 5 lb. minimum butt to a contest only to cut it into pieces.

Next rule change will be to forbid trimming of meats prior to inspection so pork is not singled out (again).

Benny

Podge
02-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Thighs can be grilled.. a lot still do.

I'm going to start practicing grill marks on my money muscle slices.. :)

I'm not going to worry about people grilling their pork. It won't do much for their tenderness scores.

Smoke'n Ice
02-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Money Muscle -Tenderloin , what's the difference, my best recollection of why the current pork rule was formulated. I've got some great ground pork recipes for the left over trimmed pork butts!!! Wonder if someone will feature a class or do a U-tube primer on proper disection of a boston butt?

ModelMaker
02-16-2013, 10:07 AM
I think all that has happened here is for pork to be treated like the rest of the meats.
If they meet requirments prior to cooking, the rest is up to the cook.
As a poor cook team the cooks occaisionaly for the purpose of having fun and hanging with friends, I cook one butt and will appreciate being able to remove that one muscle before it turns to mush.
I'm ok with it.
Ed

WineMaster
02-16-2013, 11:26 AM
I predict in pork, people will see their scores hold or even drop because of this.

Big Mike
02-16-2013, 11:59 AM
I know they took out the part that say it can't be parted, but It says it must be one piece that is 5lbs. So to me, you have to cook a piece of meat that is 5lbs or bigger. A money muscle is not 5lbs so you would not be able to cook it by itsself. To me, all it really changes is that you could maybe put it back in the cooker to heat up.

Of course, my interpretation could be way off base. Wouldn't be the first time, thats for sure.

Fat Freddy
02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
If I am reading things right,is this really going to change much for anyone. I can see it benefiting some people by being able to cook 1 butt to 2 different temps rather than 2 butts. But other than that i really dont see how this will change much. Of course I could be completely wrong which wouldnt be a shocker either.

Podge
02-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Big Mike's got a good point.. it'll just bring back the argument of "what is the definition of cooked?".. I guess that rule, if changed, needed to be re-worded to begin with, to bring closure to the discussions brought on a few years ago.. maybe I'm missing something?

YankeeBBQ
02-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Big Mike's got a good point.. it'll just bring back the argument of "what is the definition of cooked?".. I guess that rule, if changed, needed to be re-worded to begin with, to bring closure to the discussions brought on a few years ago.. maybe I'm missing something?
Once Your 5 Lb butt Or shoulder Is inspected Cook It Any Way You See Fit. That Is The Rule For 2014

DawgPhan
02-16-2013, 01:08 PM
I wonder how much people are going to push it this season to get ready for next.

Smoke'n Ice
02-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Once Your 5 Lb butt Or shoulder Is inspected Cook It Any Way You See Fit. That Is The Rule For 2014

I believe you should add after "is inspected Cook" all or part any way you see fit.

swamprb
02-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Who is going to be able to tell a CT Butt from a Pork Collar?

Bunny
02-16-2013, 02:53 PM
I hope it stays as is, but wish they would enforce a bit more......

It is too hard to enforce it, Jeff. We can usually tell, but there is always an argument. Let's let the artistry be what it is in cooking.

My 2 cents worth.

Bunny
02-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Some teams will do their best to conform to the rule as written, some teams will adhere to their own wildly creative interpretation of the rule, some teams will do whatever they want to saying that as long as there's no specific microprohibition of that exact thing it's okay, and some teams will openly declare that they'll do as they damn please because nobody's checking anyway.

Yeah, I'm freaking psychic.

Spot on!

Bunny
02-16-2013, 02:59 PM
I know they took out the part that say it can't be parted, but It says it must be one piece that is 5lbs. So to me, you have to cook a piece of meat that is 5lbs or bigger. A money muscle is not 5lbs so you would not be able to cook it by itsself. To me, all it really changes is that you could maybe put it back in the cooker to heat up.

Of course, my interpretation could be way off base. Wouldn't be the first time, thats for sure.

That's the way we interpret it.

Slamdunkpro
02-16-2013, 03:10 PM

That's the way we interpret it.
The Board member who made the motion disagrees

Alexa RnQ
02-16-2013, 03:36 PM
So now we have three short-cook categories. Switch over to steak and everybody can get some sleep.

Jeff_in_KC
02-16-2013, 04:18 PM
I would have preferred this happened immediately but I understand points made last night. I'm just happen it finally got done. It's being done now anyway with butts being filleted out and muscles held together by the thinnest of pieces of meat. There was no point whatsoever in treating pork any differently than any other category. Even brisket can be trimmed down to small, quick cook pieces. For the record, I was not really in favor of requiring starting with five pounds because the point was made that unless you shop at places like Sam's or RD, large butts are hard to find. But to get it done, I was fine with it.

Hawg Father of Seoul
02-16-2013, 06:28 PM
So now we have three short-cook categories. Switch over to steak and everybody can get some sleep.

Whatever, I am turning in carpaccio of deckle. The part up near the ribeye is really tender raw. :becky:

Smoke'n Ice
02-16-2013, 06:39 PM
I would have preferred this happened immediately but I understand points made last night. I'm just happen it finally got done. It's being done now anyway with butts being filleted out and muscles held together by the thinnest of pieces of meat. There was no point whatsoever in treating pork any differently than any other category. Even brisket can be trimmed down to small, quick cook pieces. For the record, I was not really in favor of requiring starting with five pounds because the point was made that unless you shop at places like Sam's or RD, large butts are hard to find. But to get it done, I was fine with it.
I assume that you appreciate the fact that, with this rule change, you have eliminated all possibilities of enforcement of the cut of pork being cooked. Once you inspect a 5 pound butt, the cook can then part it out and substitute pork collar, pork tenderloin and any other cut of pork and it will be a pi$$ing contest between the rep and the cook over it and the cook will win as it was inspected by the contest folks. At least this year, there is a semblance of conformance by leaving it attached by the slimmest of threads to the honest to God pork butt or shoulder.

You got to realize that the pork rule evolved over the last 15 to 20 years because of the honest, law abiding cooks and now we take away all requirements and open the door again. This is full circle and déjà vu.

Thanks

Jeff_in_KC
02-16-2013, 06:52 PM
I think you're assuming a lot with that. Cooks can get away with pretty much the same thing you're talking about that now if they're inclined to do so.

Smoke'n Ice
02-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Locks are designed to keep honest people honest. Remove the lock and even the honest person will open the door and look in.

boogiesnap
02-16-2013, 07:33 PM

yup, and not compete in BBQ.

boogiesnap
02-16-2013, 08:58 PM
I think you're assuming a lot with that. Cooks can get away with pretty much the same thing you're talking about that now if they're inclined to do so.

maybe, but now it's allowed.

jbrink01
02-16-2013, 09:22 PM

4 Hour brisket wins. Just sayin'...No need to be there on Friday at all now.

DawgPhan
02-16-2013, 10:14 PM
4 Hour brisket wins. Just sayin'...No need to be there on Friday at all now.

That sounds like a good thing.

Scottie
02-16-2013, 10:20 PM
How did the vote go?

Bunny
02-16-2013, 10:39 PM
I assume that you appreciate the fact that, with this rule change, you have eliminated all possibilities of enforcement of the cut of pork being cooked. Once you inspect a 5 pound butt, the cook can then part it out and substitute pork collar, pork tenderloin and any other cut of pork and it will be a pi$$ing contest between the rep and the cook over it and the cook will win as it was inspected by the contest folks. At least this year, there is a semblance of conformance by leaving it attached by the slimmest of threads to the honest to God pork butt or shoulder.

You got to realize that the pork rule evolved over the last 15 to 20 years because of the honest, law abiding cooks and now we take away all requirements and open the door again. This is full circle and déjà vu.

Thanks

Are you kidding me? Reps can't tell the difference between the cut of a tenderloin and any other cut of pork? Yes, we can, and we can tell if you have parted your money muscle and put it back on the pit. We cook. We know the difference.

drbbq
02-16-2013, 10:50 PM
There was no point whatsoever in treating pork any differently than any other category.

Then why is there a weight limit and a requirement to bring a whole one. There is neither in the other three categories.

Jeff_in_KC
02-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Then why is there a weight limit and a requirement to bring a whole one. There is neither in the other three categories.

Ray, I saw no need of having the five pound aspect of the rule either and at one point in the discussions, I retracted my second on this motion. But it seemed that if it wasn't in there, it might not pass at all so I re-submitted my second on the motion without it being amended. I call that compromise, something everyone has criticized the board for not doing in the past.

Jeff_in_KC
02-17-2013, 11:18 AM
How did the vote go?

I believe it was unanimous but I could be mistaken. I don't have notes with me.

Coz
02-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Are you kidding me? Reps can't tell the difference between the cut of a tenderloin and any other cut of pork? Yes, we can, and we can tell if you have parted your money muscle and put it back on the pit. We cook. We know the difference.

First wouldnt you have to have a table captain or judge question it.Knowing how busy the judging tent is I cant believe that the reps would look at each box unless it was questioned?

CBQ
02-17-2013, 01:31 PM
A money muscle is not 5lbs so you would not be able to cook it by itsself. To me, all it really changes is that you could maybe put it back in the cooker to heat up.

I won't change my pork, but it would be nice to have an option to warm it up again. Pork takes more time to sort out then any other meat, and it's the only thing we can't put back on a heat source. It was 32 degrees at the Royal Invitational this year...having the option would be nice.

The rule was trying to prevent people from trimming a bunch of butts and cooking nothing but money muscles, right? Does that really help you? Discerning judges want to see slices, chunks, and pulls from the whole butt. I think turning in 3 pounds of MM isn't going to help you that much.

YankeeBBQ
02-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Then why is there a weight limit and a requirement to bring a whole one. There is neither in the other three categories.So The Meat Inspector Can Easily Identify It As Butt or shoulder. Not Everyone Is A Professional Meatcutter Like Bunny

Red Valley BBQ
02-17-2013, 03:24 PM
So The Meat Inspector Can Easily Identify It As Butt or shoulder. Not Everyone Is A Professional Meatcutter Like Bunny

Oh boy, this is gonna get good!!! :pop2:

Bunny
02-17-2013, 03:43 PM
So The Meat Inspector Can Easily Identify It As Butt or shoulder. Not Everyone Is A Professional Meatcutter Like Bunny

Thanks, Steve! :grin:

Bunny
02-17-2013, 03:45 PM
First wouldnt you have to have a table captain or judge question it.Knowing how busy the judging tent is I cant believe that the reps would look at each box unless it was questioned?

You're right. It always comes up with a table captain questioning it. There is no way we can see every box.

Rookie'48
02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
How did the vote go?

I believe it was unanimous but I could be mistaken. I don't have notes with me.

From what I remember the vote had one "Nay" and the rest voted "Yea".

Scottie
02-17-2013, 09:31 PM
[?QUOTE=Jeff_in_KC;2371605]I believe it was unanimous but I could be mistaken. I don't have notes with me.[/QUOTE]

You push this this game changing rule through and don't know what the vote was?

Oh, ok.

Funtimebbq
02-17-2013, 09:50 PM
I won't change my pork, but it would be nice to have an option to warm it up again. Pork takes more time to sort out then any other meat, and it's the only thing we can't put back on a heat source. It was 32 degrees at the Royal Invitational this year...having the option would be nice.

The rule was trying to prevent people from trimming a bunch of butts and cooking nothing but money muscles, right? Does that really help you? Discerning judges want to see slices, chunks, and pulls from the whole butt. I think turning in 3 pounds of MM isn't going to help you that much.

Sorry, any judge who scores for what is not in the box rather than "what is presented" needs to be removed. I've seen great boxes with all sliced MM and scored appropriately. Please don't score down for something that is not in a box.

Benny

drbbq
02-18-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm curious if Carolyn Wells, the only founder of KCBS in the room offered an opinion on this rule change and if so what that was. Anybody?

Muzzlebrake
02-18-2013, 09:13 AM
I had a chance to give this some thought and had some great discussions about It this past weekend and have come to this conclusion;

A: I'm kind of happy that I will be able to set my sauce on pork like I can on all the other meats
B: I'm just getting the judges to like the pork I cook now so I'm not going to change a whole lot
C: I'm not going to sound the alarm about the death of BBQ
D: I'll let others set the pace with radical changes
E: How about we wait and see what happens before we start vilifying people, we have a whole year before this even takes effect. I'm going to worry about 2013 before I start sweating about 2014

columbia1
02-18-2013, 10:24 AM
The only change for us it that instead of cooking four butts, we can cook two since we can remove the MM at 180ish and return the remainder back to the cooker to run up towards 200 degrees for pulled. We will continue cooking the butts the way we do now, ie, not separating before the cook.

Rookie'48
02-18-2013, 10:39 AM
The only change for us it that instead of cooking four butts, we can cook two since we can remove the MM at 180ish and return the remainder back to the cooker to run up towards 200 degrees for pulled. We will continue cooking the butts the way we do now, ie, not separating before the cook.

And ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ is what the intent of the change was.

During the Open Rules Meeting the entire group was for eliminating the parting rule . . . not one person present wanted to keep the rule as it was. Out of all of the e-mails that members sent in, not one wanted to keep the parting rule, every one that mentioned pork wanted to get rid of the parting rule.

JD McGee
02-18-2013, 10:51 AM
The original rule never made much sense to me to begin with...you can part brisket but not pork...weird! But...the rule was what the rule was and in order to compete we play by the rules...period! I like the change...it shouldn't make a hoot what the cook does to the meat after it passes inspection...it still has to be cooked to perfection...attached or not! :becky: My 2 cents...

Rich Parker
02-18-2013, 11:15 AM
And ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ is what the intent of the change was.

During the Open Rules Meeting the entire group was for eliminating the parting rule . . . not one person present wanted to keep the rule as it was. Out of all of the e-mails that members sent in, not one wanted to keep the parting rule, every one that mentioned pork wanted to get rid of the parting rule.

Problem is a lot of members don't believe you have to remove the MM before the rest of the butt is ready to be pulled like the poster above states. On the surface it seems as if the BoD changed this rule for a small part of comp cooks that do this process.

Scottie
02-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Sorry. Dont want to bitch and moan... but spot on Rich. Folks get pissed at me for saying it. But learn to cook better and you can do it all without having to return any meat. I know that there are others that can do this as well... but to say that no one came out in support at the rules meeting in KC? Come-on. What is the percentage of cooks that go to KC and even if they did, change the times of the meeting, so more people will attend. I for one never realized that was the only way to make change or to keep it the same by only going to the rules meeting.

Q-Dat
02-18-2013, 12:09 PM
If they would just rename the category "Pulled Pork" then that would eliminate all of this.

Hawg Father of Seoul
02-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Seriously, am I the only smuck that cooks his butt till tender and then slices the money muscle and pulls the rest? At 180, there is still some tooth to the muscle and it is not what I would consider "pork butt" tender.

Which I thought was a criteria. And no, it is not mush.

I am now afraid we have a criterion problem.

Smokedelic
02-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Great, now maybe the board can rule that everyone gets a Participant ribbon. Let's dumb it down a little more please.

Q-Dat
02-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Sooooo because someone chooses not to cook a butt all in one piece to the same internal temp to get both sliced money muscle as well as pulled that automatically means that they don't know how?

Podge
02-18-2013, 01:31 PM
There's been a lot of good debate on this thread, some silly, some makes me scratch my head, some I think make a great point(s).. but if the board elected to keep the rule the same and not change it in any way, there'd still be 6 pages of ticked-off people on this forum.

Diva
02-18-2013, 02:07 PM
There's been a lot of good debate on this thread, some silly, some makes me scratch my head, some I think make a great point(s).. but if the board elected to keep the rule the same and not change it in any way, there'd still be 6 pages of ticked-off people on this forum.

No sh!t

Smoke'n Ice
02-18-2013, 04:34 PM
I was led to believe by several of the original founders of KCBS and PNWBA that the pork rule came about because of several factors. The most fundamental was cooks stretching the rules. Examples were: pork loin and pork tenderloin on the pit with the purported butt source and, once cooked, it was difficult to prove that the source was the butt and not the loin or tenderloin. Hence the 5 pound rule cooked whole. The parting rule came about because of cooks stretching the rule and substituting pork tenderloin for slice mm. In an attempt to make it quasi enforceable, the no parting and return to the pit was introduced. I’ve only been involved since the late 90’s and this is hearsay from that time. Others can chime in with additional insight or information or correction. I tend to believe that the “cooks stretching the rules” have not changed in the slightest regardless of the rule.

DawgPhan
02-19-2013, 11:07 AM
So is the unforeseen consequence of this rule going to be judges questioning lots of legal pork entries?

BBQ_Mayor
02-19-2013, 11:58 AM
I can see the judges have more trouble with this rule than the cooks. Their going to have a lot more looks.

Scottie
02-19-2013, 12:14 PM
I am sure the BOD has thoroughly thought this over and the CBJ's will have continuing education on this new major rule. I for one do not want to get marked down because i choose to put sausage in a box.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
No one is going to change what they do, I know I am not. I encourage you to grill your money muscle, slice your collar, turn is sausage or ground pork, please please do. I love getting that check with my properly cooked pork butt. I don't even use the money muscle...........BBQ comps are based on honesty and self policing to not cheat. If you choose to grill a tenderloin, I can assure you that it will not top a properly cooked 10-12 hour butt........

Jacked UP BBQ
02-19-2013, 12:18 PM
I am sure the BOD has thoroughly thought this over and the CBJ's will have continuing education on this new major rule. I for one do not want to get marked down because i choose to put sausage in a box.

Scottie you know you are going to continue to turn in what has brought you so far and won you so many awards.

Scottie
02-19-2013, 12:30 PM
I wouldnt count on that, Matt. I have played around a lot with butts.

DawgPhan
02-19-2013, 12:34 PM

you mean you dont expect to get a 2 when the CBJ sees a delish sausage patty sitting in the box.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-19-2013, 12:42 PM
I wouldnt count on that, Matt. I have played around a lot with butts.

I thought you were more of a breast kind of guy! haha

Scottie
02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Beggars cant be choosie

Funtimebbq
02-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Interesting question on the Ask the Board thread about this same topic. The question is, after inspection, can someone take a pork butt, grind the meat and cook a fatty for turn-in. Now that is creative. From what I have read so far, anything goes after inspection and that would be legal.

Benny

Plowboy
02-19-2013, 01:27 PM
I don't get why some want to turn the pork category into the Pulled Pork category. Must be a conspiracy from deep inside the MeatRake corporation. j/k

For everyone saying that won't change their cooking methods and go with what has always brought them success... come back in 2015 and give us an update on how that's going for you. As my good friend Justin Biebs says, "Never say Never".

Jacked UP BBQ
02-19-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't get why some want to turn the pork category into the Pulled Pork category. Must be a conspiracy from deep inside the MeatRake corporation. j/k

For everyone saying that won't change their cooking methods and go with what has always brought them success... come back in 2015 and give us an update on how that's going for you. As my good friend Justin Biebs says, "Never say Never".

I will be sure to keep you in the know.... I have tried off the wall things, stuff that people have called me crazy for doing at a "bbq comp" Some have paid off, other times total disaster even if the product I was shooting for was spot on. You can change a rule, but you cannot change the mindset of who is judging it. Give them what they expect and give it to them perfect... Every time I went back to the basics and what they expected, thats where the consistent scores pay off. I do agree that once in awhile being very creative can put you above the rest, but most times not.

Smokedelic
02-19-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm just as confident that the Board will insure that the CBJ class materials and class cooking requirements will also be revamped to reflect the rule change. We need to be teaching new CBJs how to judge sausage patties, braised horn meat, and grilled mm medallions.

Podge
02-19-2013, 03:03 PM
People who have been grinding briskets into hamburgers have been doing great over the years in BBQ competitions.

so, go ahead, turn in grilled pork or whatever.. see how judges like that. It'll probably score as well as smoked chicken gizzards.

Plowboy
02-19-2013, 05:30 PM
I will be sure to keep you in the know.... I have tried off the wall things, stuff that people have called me crazy for doing at a "bbq comp" Some have paid off, other times total disaster even if the product I was shooting for was spot on. You can change a rule, but you cannot change the mindset of who is judging it. Give them what they expect and give it to them perfect... Every time I went back to the basics and what they expected, thats where the consistent scores pay off. I do agree that once in awhile being very creative can put you above the rest, but most times not.

I'm sure they told the first guy to put Parkay on his ribs that he was out of his mind. Now, the blue bottle can be found at nearly every competition on almost every category.

We are like sheep. As soon as someone finds a way to break through the gate, we all follow to the greener grass.

Q-Dat
02-19-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm sure they told the first guy to put Parkay on his ribs that he was out of his mind. Now, the blue bottle can be found at nearly every competition on almost every category.

We are like sheep. As soon as someone finds a way to break through the gate, we all follow to the greener grass.

It does seem to be a world filled with originators, imitators, and innovators.

jketron
02-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Baaaaaaaaaaaa

Q-Dat
02-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Baaaaaaaaaaaa

Yep. And the free thinking sheep usually get eaten by wolves(judges).

Jacked UP BBQ
02-20-2013, 11:02 PM

I agree with the Parkay, personally I think its gross, but seems to work for people, such an inferior product I dont understand it. I will admit I have used it, but more times not and do better without it. But I do agree 100% with the greener grass product for most of the field... I am happy to say that I think I dont chase the green grass puts you in even more of the crap shoot. I "think" not 100% sure obviously that our teams flavors are much different than most. But I cannot argue with statistics, parkay, brown sugar, honey and tiger sauce seems to be the rib norm. I am really interested to see and find out about the pork changes people make. I will be a guiniea pig and try anything....any ideas?

BigBellyBBQ
02-21-2013, 05:00 AM
Moms pork roast? on a bed of mashed potatos...gravy,,did they change the garnish rule?m maybe being a sheep is not all bad..

Jacked UP BBQ
02-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Moms pork roast? on a bed of mashed potatos...gravy,,did they change the garnish rule?m maybe being a sheep is not all bad..

I have done pork roast style pork turn in before with gravy....ended up middle of the road believe it or not. The one that did the best that was not "the norm" was pork seasoned like chorizo... Got a third place call with it in a KCBS comp.

Q-Dat
02-21-2013, 11:51 AM
How about we just change the category to Bacon...

JD McGee
02-21-2013, 01:23 PM

I prefer to call it "Squeeze Butter"...after a certain Pimaster that does the same. :D. Btw...he does ok with it...:cool:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2