PDA

View Full Version : Trying to upgrade my contest cookers

Atlasman
02-12-2013, 08:54 PM
My current setup is an XL big green egg and a WSM 22.5" with a Weber charcoal grill to finish my chicken at high heat.

I am looking for an upgrade in both ease of transport and perhaps a larger cooking footprint. The egg is a beautiful thing........when you don't have to move it across town.

I was thinking of just getting another WSM but that doesn't help my egg transport situation............which isn't a nightmare but it could be way easier.

My other options I am considering are another larger cooker like a backwoods or pitmaker to take over the bulk of the operation and be easier to roll around. This would make my WSM a complimentary item instead of a major player.

Lastly I may grab a pellet rig like a green mountain or a yoder just for a change of pace and obvious ease of transport.

Any thoughts on which way you would go or would avoid. All my cookers are run by BBQ Guru temp control systems if that matters or helps.

djqualls
02-12-2013, 09:16 PM
You can't go wrong with a FEC100 but if you want sticks and/or charcoal, the New R&O smokers are making the best of either one in my opinion.

Atlasman
02-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Running into trouble being from NY because these companies don't have dealers around me. Pitmaker, R+O, Jambo, Backwoods, and lots of others are pretty far away and the shipping costs are prohibitive to say the least.........any issues I might have that needed service or parts would also be a nightmare.

The FEC 100 is nice but for some reason has dropped from my list of favs

dmprantz
02-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Look for used smokers or maybe a meat minster with the interior firebox from PCC. That's not TOO far.

dmp

dhuffjr
02-13-2013, 12:05 AM
I'd think hard about the Backwoods or Onyx Oven. Maybe you can do a contest the Guru guys are cooking and make arrangements for delivery.

BBQBeaver
02-13-2013, 06:16 AM
I had and hauled 3-4 Broil King Kegs last. Season. This year, I am going down to two kegs and added a Yoder YS640 with competition cart. Roll it out of the trailer, plug it in, add large meat and then focus on my kegs for chicken. Roll it back into the trailer when done.

New Pal Frank
02-13-2013, 06:52 AM
I love my Backwoods Competitor. I cook a complete contest on it. I cook 18-24 thighs three racks of ribs 2 butts and a whole packer brisket. This can also be done with a Fatboy and if you have your timing down pat, a Party will do also. All backwoods.
I have seen a lot of yoder YS640's popping up also if you want a pellet pooper.

Goddahavit
02-13-2013, 06:52 AM
You didnt say how you are transporting?

cmohr74
02-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Not sure if this is much help, but I made this for myself and it has helped me out in my choice.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150819

I throw the Backwoods in the back of my work van by myself along with the Memphis. Couldn't be happier with either cooker, they are both play key roles in how I personally cook my bbq. Unless you have a trailer, I do know the Yoder is crazy heavy to just pick up and more around, but many guys love'em. If you do go with Backwoods, I think Smokeinit on the Brethren is a dealer in NY.

smokinit
02-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Running into trouble being from NY because these companies don't have dealers around me. Pitmaker, R+O, Jambo, Backwoods, and lots of others are pretty far away and the shipping costs are prohibitive to say the least.........any issues I might have that needed service or parts would also be a nightmare.

MMM I think I sell Backwoods in NY:biggrin1: Were abouts are you and what size would you be looking at.

Big Poppa
02-13-2013, 10:06 AM
You can't go wrong with a FEC100 but if you want sticks and/or charcoal, the New R&O smokers are making the best of either one in my opinion.

David you havent cooked on a jambo obviously!

smokeisgood
02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
I looked at all the options, and almost went with a Jambo, but since I have an enclosed trailer I want to haul it in, I went with the Pitmaker Long Rifle Sniper model. Shipping was a bear, so as soon as they call I'm heading to Texas to pick it up....cannot wait!!!

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-13-2013, 03:31 PM

Same here....we are in PA and I have all Backwoods in stock....would be happy to assist.....also carry GMG and FEC.....

Atlasman
02-13-2013, 05:30 PM
I am in western New York outside of Buffalo for the dealers chiming in. Thanks for the replies so far guys, I will check back in a few hours as I have to work nights right now.

Thanks again.

Atlasman
02-14-2013, 07:24 AM
Damn.............didn't realize it would/could be a problem getting a smoker for competitions living in NY:crazy:

luke duke
02-14-2013, 12:57 PM
http://75.148.127.254/simple?page=cities&state=new%20york

RangerJ
02-14-2013, 05:12 PM

Not to thread hijack, but what are you basing this on? And are you referring to the clone of the backwoods / pitmaker or the Jambo?