PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment SUNY Old Westbury 5/3/13

motoeric
02-08-2013, 01:38 AM
Old Westbury BBQ Throwdown

Date: Friday, May 3
Location: SUNY Old Westbury (LIE to 106/107 north, just passed Jericho Tpk).
Type of Event: Full BBQ (chicken, ribs, pork, brisket)
Rules: BBQ Brethren
Proclamation: Working on state proclamation from Governors Office.
Entry Fee: $150.00 w/ ALL money going back to the teams
Lots: Standard size, but we can get you as much space as you need. No extra fee.

Yes, this is on a Friday. Teams can arrive Thursday evening or early Friday.

This is a fantastic opportunity for BBQ on Long Island and your supporting the event would go a long way towards us making this an annual and large contest.

The venue is HUGE and accommodating.

http://www.oldwestbury.edu/about/maps.cfm

Payment can be sent via check made out to BBQ Brethren and mailed to:

BBQ Brethren
PO Box 58
St. James, NY 11780

Please include a note with: Your name, team name, number of people on the team, email address, phone, size lot you need if 20 by 20 doesn't work and what time you'd like to arrive. Please email the same information with "Old Westbury" in the subject line to: events@bbq-brethren.net

I'll be posting soon about some amenities.

Eric

scm1226
02-08-2013, 07:38 AM
So the turn-ins will be Friday at 12:00, 12:30,1:00, 1:30?? Interesting??

early mornin' smokin'
02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
slightly confusing? all turn ins on friday?

motoeric
02-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Yes, all turn-ins, judging, awards, prizes on Friday.

You can, if you'd like, arrive on Thursday evening.

Eric

motoeric
02-08-2013, 03:43 PM
There will be butchery demonstrations onsite by the master butcher for J. Kings as well as showings of BBQ related documentaries by the Southern Foodway Alliance.

I'll be following up with some other amenities soon.

Eric

JimmyDAL
02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Why Friday?

motoeric
02-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Why Friday?

That's when school is in session.

Eric

nosmo
02-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Check sat.am...turn in at noon?

motoeric
02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Check sat.am...turn in at noon?

There is no Saturday am. Everything will be concluded by Friday evening.

Standard turn in times.

Teams can arrive Thursday if they'd like. Someone will be available for meat inspections Thursday evening.

Eric

timzcardz
02-11-2013, 07:44 AM
I love the idea of another local competition, but the Thursday/Friday scheduling is likely a deal breaker for us.

OneBallBiscuit
02-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Electric provided?

scm1226
02-11-2013, 08:56 AM
I love the idea of another local competition, but the Thursday/Friday scheduling is likely a deal breaker for us.
Same for us!!

boogiesnap
02-11-2013, 03:45 PM

same here, that's three days off work. wed. finish prep/pack, thursday travel/setup, friday turn ins.

if i was to take three days, i'd go on vaca. somewhere other than L.I. :icon_smile_tongue:

Sawdustguy
02-12-2013, 08:13 AM
The weekday, one day, full KCBS kills it for us. It would be managable if it was a Friday/Saturday contest. It's a shame because my brother and teammate lives only one town away in Hicksville.

trohrs123
02-12-2013, 10:13 AM

same

Cue's Your Daddy
02-12-2013, 11:47 AM
I love people who chime in and say why Friday....yada yada yada. Especially new England teams who never support LI contests. If u want to say something pig maker, say it. Yes I am calling u out.

motoeric
02-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Electric provided?

Yup. Electric provided.

Eric

motoeric
02-12-2013, 02:17 PM
The problem with not making it a four category event is that it wouldn't be a qualifier.

Would the event be more attractive as a non-qualifier and a rib and chicken contest, making it much more feasible to just show up Friday morning?

Eric

Cue's Your Daddy
02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
I would make it a non qualifier. Having a contest as a qualifier that is limited to people to me is not fair, and to some people will seem like an unfair advantage. Just my opinion.

Sawdustguy
02-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Eric,

I will only speak for my team so here goes. We have cooked Friday/Saturday contests in New England and down in MABA territory and usually sneaking a friday off to do so is not too difficult a task. We pack up Thursday night and leave early Friday morning. If we are going to cook a 4 meat contest on a Friday only event, we will need to get there to start cooking and setup early Thursday night. We have to get home, grab something to eat, then drive there, get set up and then start cooking. Thats a tall order for us. Hell, we suck as it is. That will only make it worse.

BBQchef33
02-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Listen.. the contest is what it is.. the organizer is the university staff. Not us, but they looked to Eric for some help and guidance.. that is it. Like it, good, dont like it, oh well, move on. No where does it say that a contest has to fall on a weekend, and even a mid week contest is open to everyone. They have had contests there before, have already gotten teams from within the culinary school and are looking to expand it to 2 days and possibly attract some outside teams. Its not up for discussion and no one here is empowered to change the rules. They announced the contest, its Thur-Fri to fall in line with the schools schedule. If you can attend, great, if not, Im sure they would understand.

A few posts were scrubbed.. take it private...From this point forward, WE will NOT be instrumental in degrading this contest the way the Bethpage FD contest was. Anyone who tags it with anything derogatory will be permanently removed form this forum.

bbqdavarrow
02-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Listen.. the contest is what it is.. the organizer is the university staff. Not us, but they looked to Eric for some help and guidance.. that is it. Like it, good, dont like it, oh well, move on. No where does it say that a contest has to fall on a weekend, and even a mid week contest is open to everyone. They have had contests there before, have already gotten teams from within the culinary school and are looking to expand it to 2 days and possibly attract some outside teams. Its not up for discussion and no one here is empowered to change the rules. They announced the contest, its Thur-Fri to fall in line with the schools schedule. If you can attend, great, if not, Im sure they would understand.

A few posts were scrubbed.. take it private...From this point forward, WE will NOT be instrumental in degrading this contest the way the Bethpage FD contest was. Anyone who tags it with anything derogatory will be permanently removed form this forum.
:clap2:Well said!

timzcardz
02-13-2013, 08:04 AM

Upon further review, I'm going to see how things go and see if I can figure out a way schedule-wise to do this one.

It could be fun!

Sawdustguy
02-13-2013, 11:18 AM

Phil,

I don't think anyone is disparraging the contest like was done on the Bethpage contest. I think some of us locals feel bad because we would really like to support a local contest but can't, due to the weekday logistics. Otherwise everything else about the contest is a cooks dream, like low price, 100% of the entries going back to the teams, as much space as you need, it is a beautiful campus etc. I am very bummed out that we can't make this contest. I think we all agree that it would be the best contest ever if it was a Friday/Saturday contest, but it is, what it is. I also want Eric not to get discouraged. I am 110% thankful he does what he does to breathe life into these local contests. His efforts to us are always greatly appreciated.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-13-2013, 12:36 PM
I might do this one, just a few questions about judging? Is it the school employees? I am just trying to figure out blues hog or sweet babyrays?

MattCom
02-13-2013, 03:08 PM
I can't make the comp, but I would attend the Butchary Demo if my schedule permits.
Is there a time slated for this demo?

Woooo!

motoeric
02-13-2013, 06:09 PM
I might do this one, just a few questions about judging? Is it the school employees? I am just trying to figure out blues hog or sweet babyrays?

The judges are from our standard pool of trained judges. The vast majority are both CBJ's and BBQ Brethren trained judges.

Eric

motoeric
02-13-2013, 06:11 PM
I can't make the comp, but I would attend the Butchary Demo if my schedule permits.
Is there a time slated for this demo?

Woooo!

I'll post the itinerary as soon as I have it. I know that the SFA documentaries will be going throughout the day.

Eric

speedrcer1
03-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Bump.
Is this still going to happen?

timzcardz
04-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Yes this is still happening.

Someone from SUNY Old Westbruy came around to teams at Williepallooza this past weekend.

I think I can make this work and am deciding this week.

CBQ
04-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Some NE teams like to support LI contests. We have done 3 Brethren events and a Sam's there, and have another Sam's on the calendar for this year. (With all the Maine contests dropping like flies, I'm hoping there is a Smokin' at the Maples again. Any plans?)

The Thurs/Fri is a bit tough for me only because we are booked the two weekends before that, and the two weekends after it, but you have to applaud the effort to turn this into a sanctioned event.

ique
04-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Especially new England teams who never support LI contests. If u want to say something pig maker, say it. Yes I am calling u out.

Pigmaker is from your lovely state FWIW! :)

motoeric
04-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Pigmaker is from your lovely state FWIW! :)

If this is an implication that Long Island should be its own state, wholeheartedly agree.

deez20
04-10-2013, 05:42 PM
So do we have any teams doing this? Trying to see if I can make this one.

motoeric
04-17-2013, 10:08 PM
We need to have 15 of us (regular BBQ teams) competing to make this a qualifier and it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

I realize that is a deal breaker for teams that are mostly looking for the draw for the invitationals.

We would still love to have teams come down and compete. It is a low cost, fun event at a beautiful location in Westbury. This would be an exceptionally good first or second event for new teams.

Please let me know if you have any questions and hopefully I'll see you there.

Eric

rxcellentq
04-17-2013, 10:36 PM
how many teams are in right now?

timzcardz
04-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Tried to figure out how I could work this one in, but a business dinner on the 2nd is the proverbial final nail in the coffin.

If the weather is nice I may stop by late on the 2nd to visit, as I will already be in the area.

timzcardz
04-18-2013, 07:37 AM
We need to have 15 of us (regular BBQ teams) competing to make this a qualifier and it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Why wouldn't the school teams be included in the count? Aren't they doing the same 4 categories?

Jaskew82
04-18-2013, 09:30 AM
If I can get my trailer ramp repaired in time, maybe I can do this content but I would need a 'pit bitch' since my wife is pregnant and not to keen on sleeping in a trailer. Anyone willing?

BBQchef33
04-18-2013, 10:16 AM
I got the rundown yesterday. Here's how I understood.

The organizers plan actually makes sense . He wanted to have 2 separate contests. Let's call one Pro BBQ and the other Amateur(like a backyard contest). Bbq teams do a standard 4 meat onsite contest and the college teams do a seperate contest. But they would have 3 sets of awards. Pro BBQ judged by cbj using our scoring. That would be a qualifier if they had 15 BBQ team(us). College teams judged separately in their own contest using same scoring system and weights. Each contest has their own winners, and they would also have a 3rd set of award for best overall which would be determined by combining the scores of both contests. He also has 2 desperate proclamations. One for BBQ AND one for the 'amateur'. So bottom line it was meant to be 2 separate contests.

Disclaimer. Just to be clear. This is run by the long island culinary school. They are the organizers and trying to get their feet wet in comp BBQ. Its not run by BBQ brethren or affiliates but members here have offered to help and guide them the best theye can.

motoeric
04-18-2013, 10:42 AM
To follow up on what Phil is saying, there are two separate proclamations, not desperate.

Eric

timzcardz
04-18-2013, 10:46 AM
He also has 2 desperate proclamations.

Silly me! I would have thought that 1 DESPERATE proclamation would have been enough! :biggrin1:

Thanks, Phil.

I wish I could do this one. I'm really desperate.

Bob S
04-18-2013, 01:37 PM
So...how many "pro" teams are signed up? Maybe we can help get it to the 15 that are needed.

motoeric
04-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Currently three with 5 more expressing serious interest and an additional 5 or so inquiring.

Eric

BBQchef33
04-18-2013, 04:43 PM
I hate autocorrect. My typing is bad enough I don't need any help screwing up:cool:

rxcellentq
04-23-2013, 08:17 AM
What's the word on this contest. How many teams do they have now. I put in a request for the day off at work so I can try to help.

NS Mike D
05-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Good Luck gents Wish I was there.