PDA

View Full Version : Dickey's BBQ pit?

superlazy
02-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Looks like one just opened in town. Are they any good?

VoodoChild
02-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Never been to One ... But Several opened Here in Phx and A few Shut Down about as fast as they opened.

bigabyte
02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Depends what you mean by good.

My vote is "no".

MaximumJEFF
02-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Nothing spectacular

wmrrock
02-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Looks like one just opened in town. Are they any good? They arent bad. Nothing you could't do better in your backyard. We have one here in Bridgeport CT & They are always busy.

SmokinJohn
02-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Looks like one just opened in town. Are they any good?

They are the IHOP of BBQ.

I think that you could take 5 random Brethren, and they could make a better product.

deguerre
02-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Man. The photos of their food aren't exactly appetizing.

superlazy
02-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Bummer thanks guy's

The_Kapn
02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Got some from the Warner Robins site a while back.

Cardboard BBQ.

Don't want to speculate beyond that.

TIM

BigTone
02-04-2013, 05:18 PM
I was not crazy about it. If I can't make my own I go to Shane's Rib Shack (another fast food rib joint) but I prefer backyard BBQ.

Bludawg
02-04-2013, 05:18 PM
They have good sweet tea and the free Jalapenos are good beyond That Not so much! The one In Waco lasted all of 6 weeks before they folded like a house of cards in a west Tx wind storm.. there aint any place in Waco that has great "Q" Rudy's is passable and the bad places are still doing business... SO what 's that tell ya.

deguerre
02-04-2013, 05:24 PM
That tells me to stay the Hell away from Waco...

Bludawg
02-04-2013, 05:25 PM
That tells me to stay the Hell away from Waco...
Go west 75 mi I'll feed Ya:biggrin1:

Neonnblack
02-04-2013, 05:40 PM
I don't mind eating there. But my standards are low.

Smoked Ham
02-04-2013, 05:51 PM
It's Fast food BBQ, I thought the brisket tasted like pot roast. I have ruined BBQ that tasted better than Dickie's.

sdbbq1234
02-04-2013, 06:50 PM
At one time, they wee pretty decent for fast-food BBQ. That was about 20 years ago when we lived in the Dallas, TX area.

We ate at one in San Jose (or somewhere in that area) about 2 years ago.

Terrible!! I think they used 1 stick of wood for about 1 ton of food.

wallace

Jester
02-04-2013, 06:54 PM

I think that you could take 5 random Brethren, and they could make a better product.

I think the above pretty much sums this place up.

Avoid if at all possible.

Yendor
02-04-2013, 07:27 PM
I'd rather eat a gas station roller dog. I ate at one not far from my work, disgusting is being nice. I have no idea how they are still open.

Brian in Maine
02-04-2013, 07:29 PM
I went once, and had the 2 meat plate. The pulled pork may have been loin instead of butt, and was not edible without sauce. The cheddar jalapeno sausage was really good, and the fried onions were delicious. I would go back for the sausage and onions.

cookingdude555
02-04-2013, 08:09 PM
It depends. They are all over SLC, Ut, and I have seen different results at different locations. Yes, its not your backyard, but I dont think any of us go out to eat BBQ that honestly expect it to beat our backyard. So we know that before we go. However, the one by my house is super busy, and they do a decent job. I have tried two other locations in the Salt Lake valley, and they sucked. Bad. So I think its up to the owner. My guess is you have a guy at my location like one of us, that decided to do a franchise, so his food is very decent. YMMV.

Soonerman71
02-05-2013, 07:08 AM
They have good sweet tea and the free Jalapenos are good beyond That Not so much! The one In Waco lasted all of 6 weeks before they folded like a house of cards in a west Tx wind storm.. there aint any place in Waco that has great "Q" Rudy's is passable and the bad places are still doing business... SO what 's that tell ya.

The free soft serve ice cream was pretty good. They had one in Las Cruces that closed around the holidays. Ate there a few times, but it was real hit and miss.

Hankdad1
02-05-2013, 09:44 AM
We have one close to us. The one time we tried it we stopped for take out on the way home. Ordered pulled pork, brisket and a couple of sides. We got home and found that they hadn't given us the brisket and one side. We called hoping they would send us a certificate, the employee that answered kept asking the manager to take the call but he refused and told her to have us drive back and pick up the missing items. Did I mention that this was during a good ol' Minnesota snow storm?

Well, we tried the pulled pork, tasteless mush. The one side they gave us was potato salad. It tasted like the overly sweet kind you get at the grocery store but had the consistency of mashed potatoes. Disgusting!

So we got half of what we paid for and that was pretty much inedible, I recommend you save your money.

Gore
02-05-2013, 10:00 AM
I've eaten it mainly in the Dallas airport while transferring. I can tell you it's not the worst BBQ I've ever eaten. :roll: Lately, though, I've been opting for other places when I'm there.

BB-Kuhn
02-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Food was ok - but it wasn't cheap, and the portions were measured and REALLY small for the price.

Had no desire to ever return.

stl-rich
02-05-2013, 06:13 PM
One opened near me. Place next to it was OK but Dickey's closed before we tried them. DANG :-P

Triple T BBQ
02-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Hankdad,

Which location was that one? Have tried a couple here in mn and they all about 3-4 out of ten. Of course we had some the last time we were passing through on the way to Austin, tx. It sure wasn't like it was years ago. Like everyone says, it's typically not the pit but the master. That being said, it amazes how a bad of product they are turning out while using a 15-17k smoker. Yikes.

Hankdad1
02-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Hankdad,

Which location was that one? Have tried a couple here in mn and they all about 3-4 out of ten. Of course we had some the last time we were passing through on the way to Austin, tx. It sure wasn't like it was years ago. Like everyone says, it's typically not the pit but the master. That being said, it amazes how a bad of product they are turning out while using a 15-17k smoker. Yikes.

That was the Inver Grove Heights store. It seems strange to walk into a restaurant that smells of wood smoke but to have no smoke flavor in the food.

accuseal
02-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Tolerable. If there are no other options and you're Jonesin for Q, its OK.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD

Dallas Dan
02-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Their headquarters's owned restaurants here in Dallas are decent for restaurant Q. However, their franchises are hit and miss. I think they are selling franchises faster than they can maintain quality control and their reputation is suffering from it.

BB-Kuhn
03-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Food is decent, but nothing special. Sides were awful.

Overall though, my biggest complaint is that they were SOOOO stingy with portions, weighing it to the nearest or under OUNCE like at a damn quiznos.

You should NEVER go to a BBQ place, order a 3 meat combo platter with 2 sides and go home still hungry. Plus, they are not cheap, so as far as dollar per portion size, this is where they absolutely fail.

rexbbq
03-01-2013, 01:25 PM
I am pretty sure that the one by me doesn't even have a smoker. I think that they might have the meat shipped in and they reheat. Not sure, but that is what it looked and smelled like the last time I was there.

El Ropo
03-17-2013, 12:23 PM

You are giving IHOP a bad rap. Their food is great compared to the Dickey's I tried here in Austin. It lasted about 5 months or so, but it was right next to the huge Dell complex in Round Rock, so it had a lot of hungry people to sucker into trying it once.

No smoke flavor, sides were really bad, soft drinks were watered down, and no noticeable smoker, or smoke aroma anywhere in or outside the building. I left hungry too, and spent more than I would normally spend for a decent lunch at other places in that area.

rightonQ
03-17-2013, 04:38 PM
The ones here in NC are mediocre and overpriced.

silverfinger
03-18-2013, 02:26 PM
They opened one in the city of Torrance a few years ago.
It went out of business within 6 months. Ate there one time.
Never went back.

PalmettoSmoke
03-30-2013, 12:16 AM
It's not great, but kids eat free on Sunday. We go there after church sometimes.

gmag
03-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Dickey's is the worst BBQ I've ever had.

NRA4Life
03-31-2013, 12:39 PM
It'll push a turd, that's about all their BBQ is good for.

philw
04-10-2013, 06:25 AM
one near me has closed,eat at one in ind. it was bad .

stick to the rules no chain food, unless you have to.
and Ihop is bad also ,one near me should close