PDA

View Full Version : Finding KCBS judges

Buckscent
02-01-2013, 07:17 AM
What is the best way to find KCBS judges in Alabama for a comp? Also need someone to run turn in table and calculate scores. This is a backyard and not sanctioned by the kcbs but go by kcbs rules

John Bowen
02-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Where in Alabama? When is the comp? In the Tupelo, MS area there is 1. Don't be Cruel BBQ Duel, in Fulton there is "Stand by your Grill" and Cornith there is "Hog Wild". All are KCBS events and have judge teams. A call to any of those orgainizers should help you.

Buckscent
02-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Where in Alabama? When is the comp? In the Tupelo, MS area there is 1. Don't be Cruel BBQ Duel, in Fulton there is "Stand by your Grill" and Cornith there is "Hog Wild". All are KCBS events and have judge teams. A call to any of those orgainizers should help you.

In McCalla, between B'ham and Tuscaloosa on March 15-16

Lake Dogs
02-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Where ever you advertise/look, you may also want to consider CBJ's from other sanctioning bodies. Many have judged brisket and chicken. The rules otherwise have very little differences other than tenderness of ribs (IMHO) and allowance/not-allowance of garnish. You may find FBA, GBA, MiM, MBN, etc. CBJ's in addition to KCBS CBJ's right in your "back yard".

Just a thought.

ThomEmery
02-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Why not be a licensed KCBS event?
Minimal cost and every is on the up and up

dosvans
02-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Is your comp listed on the Alabama BBQ Association Website (http://www.alabamabbqassociation.com/)? They may also be able to assist you in locating certified judges.

ModelMaker
02-01-2013, 09:55 AM
If you want certified judges and use KCBS rules...have a sanctioned contest.
If you want a back yard grilling party, go to the local tavern and grab some fellas.
Y'all can't put a dress on a pig and call it a gurl....
Ed

Buckscent
02-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Why not be a licensed KCBS event?
Minimal cost and every is on the up and up

Can you have a sanctioned event for just back yard?
I assumed it was only for pro division

motoeric
02-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Most organizers that have run the same event for a few years will have a mailing list of judges. Find an organizer in your area that is friendly and experienced and ask if they would mind letting their judges know about your event.

Running an unsanctioned contest is neither a big deal nor difficult but I would suggest that you do not use the KCBS rules for your event. They've developed those rules and own them. I would question how appropriate it is to take them without recompense, but another concern is them taking legal action against you. They have sent out cease and desist letters in the past.

I'd suggest taking a look at the rules from KCBS, FBA, BBQ Brethren, etc. and modeling something on what you like best from each.

Good luck!

Eric