PDA

View Full Version : If you could only Compete 1 time - were would you go?

Shiz-Nit
01-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Okay outside of all our dreams like an only invite Comp like the "Jack".

Were would you go to Compete if you could only go to one BBQ Comp per year?

This thread will give props to all the people behind the scenes, promoters and reps out there.

So tell us where is the best places to go?

Lake Dogs
01-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Paid for? Meaning, no cost to me?

Memphis In May. Beyond any shadow of a doubt. Preferably in whole shoulder, but ribs would be ok. But, it's very, very, VERY costly to participate.

If you throw that one out because of the qualifier and draw, then my 2nd choice would be the Big Pig Jig in Vienna, GA. Not nearly as expensive
ans MiM, but not cheap by any stretch, and more of an all week shin-dig, not just Friday night & Saturday. Huge field, 100+ LARGE teams (usually 6-15 people teams), loads of fun, and oh, by the way, they have a helluva pork MBN cookoff. The competition is just about as stiff as it is at MiM.

DawgPhan
01-29-2013, 08:30 PM
I plan on cooking dillard every year I am above ground and they will have me. One day I hope to beat my son there and if I am lucky, maybe a grandson as well.

Pelkster
01-29-2013, 08:33 PM
This is a tough one. Roc City Rib Fest is the largest in NYS and is a lot of fun, but I think I have to give a nod to Boston Hills BBQ Fest. This is the most competitor friendly competition I've ever been to. The GC and RGC trophies are the sickest/coolest I've ever seen (fire helmets on a wood base). And being about 10 minutes away doesn't hurt either.

Shiz-Nit
01-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Paid for? Meaning, no cost to me?

I was thinking of comps for BBQers to enter sorry about that so most would be cost to us.
And yes I agree MM in May is one NICE Comp Indeed!!!!! But it seems like it always rains each time we go.... I think that place is the BIGGGEST party at night that I have seen at a BBQ Comp also.

Podge
01-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Springfield, Ky... easy decision.

Gerrit_Boys
01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
The South Dakota BBQ Championships in Huron, SD. Although it is my hometown, I'd hit up this event even if I didn't live here.:thumb:

Shiz-Nit
01-29-2013, 10:54 PM

If all works out I will be there this year my friend. I sure hope all works out okay I would sure like to meet some of you all.

BKBBQ
01-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Live oak fl. Where you can smoke on the suwanee. Damon wooleys' fba event.

HoDeDo
01-29-2013, 11:02 PM
King of the Smoker is the high bar, granted it is an invitational... outside of that,

Big Blue BBQ! - gotta go back to the first win. and It is one of the best run comps out there!! They even send out Christmas cards/ornaments to the teams. 1st class folks all the way.

TooSaucedToPork
01-30-2013, 12:21 AM
I'm with Lake Dogs...Memphis in May is amazing to cook. +1

Yet I have never met any organizers or a contest more dedicated to teams than Boston Hills. Mike and his crew are awesome. This is a very close 2nd

Iso
01-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Any event with a People's Choice category. I enjoy feeding people more than feeding judges.

CivilWarBBQ
01-30-2013, 01:21 AM
+1 for Dillard, GA. The oldest KCBS event in the state and arguably the toughest field for a four meat contest in the South, barring The Jack.

Brew-B-Q
01-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Kenosha, Wisconisn. Great judges there.

Scottie
01-30-2013, 09:23 AM
That's funny Pat. Everyone knows they are all in Grand Rapids, MI.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
01-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Southern Krunk

dhuffjr
01-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Hard one.... I'd have to alternate years. Kettering Ohio because that is the contest that started us in this hobby. Xenia Ohio because one of the organizers moved on and started a contest being held at the fairgrounds there. A great guy and cause and it would be hard to choose....so I'd alternate.

On second thought Nelsonville has given us consistently better results, maybe I'd pick there ;>)

hogzgonewild
01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Another +1 for Dillard....One of the toughest fields around, but in a nice setting. Also the fact that they have all Master Judges at every table.

Granny's Gang Barbeque
01-30-2013, 10:24 AM
It would have to be the JACK. I wouldn't even have to win. Just to lose to that level of competitors woudl be honor enough.

Rich Parker
01-30-2013, 12:10 PM
That's funny Pat. Everyone knows they are all in Grand Rapids, MI.

I hope the change in venue this year breaks your spell on them damn judges!

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
01-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Probably our hometown comp. Its nice having friends and family come out and the view is pretty nice.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/31/qejazuqu.jpg

Shiz-Nit
01-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Probably our hometown comp. Its nice having friends and family come out and the view is pretty nice.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/31/qejazuqu.jpg

Would that be the Smoke on the water comp?

I was thinking of doing that comp this year myelf.

K-Train
01-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Anyplace in Texas, would be cool to BBQ there. As far as location, Hawaii. For reality: we cooked in Gettysburg PA last year. It was pretty cool to be near a historic site. Also we have a cool event in Deale MD, was our first pro event 2 years ago and is very close to home. Nice to have a bunch of family and friends able to come by.

Muzzlebrake
01-30-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm pretty partial to Lake Placid, something special about being on the Olympic Speed Skating Oval on the Fourth of July.

That being said if I can only do one, I'm going to The Royal. If I only have one at bat, I'm swinging for the fences!

Smoke on the Horizon
01-30-2013, 02:40 PM
I would have to say Slidell, LA great contest and a wonderful town.

RangerJ
01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Hawaii.

There are ways to get to both the Royal and the Jack and I'll either get there or I won't, but the logistics to get to Hawaii are a nightmare, so if I could pull it off I would.

Very few people can say they have cooked in Hawaii.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
01-30-2013, 04:08 PM

Yeah Jeffersonville IN. Smokin on the river. Technically not hometown but close enough.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
01-30-2013, 04:21 PM

Yeah Jeffersonville IN. Smokin on the river. Technically not hometown but close enough.

Scottie
01-30-2013, 05:33 PM
I hope the change in venue this year breaks your spell on them damn judges!

Why start now? :-P

Scottie
01-30-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty partial to Lake Placid, something special about being on the Olympic Speed Skating Oval on the Fourth of July.

That being said if I can only do one, I'm going to The Royal. If I only have one at bat, I'm swinging for the fences!

Lake Placid is probably our favorite . Where else can you eat cheap cheez, drink good vodka and eat raw pork fat, while rinsing it down with a Mai Tai... all after midnight!!! :-P

KC_Bobby
01-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Already cooked the Royal, the Jack and Sam's Club Finals so I think I'd either pick MIM or HLSR.

But I'd really like to get back to Mason City and/or Marshalltown Ia.

Muzzlebrake
01-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Lake Placid is probably our favorite . Where else can you eat cheap cheez, drink good vodka and eat raw pork fat, while rinsing it down with a Mai Tai... all after midnight!!! :-P

I have a present for you......

Pappy Q
01-30-2013, 07:54 PM

I'd agree!