PDA

View Full Version : Tri Tip

Eggspert
01-23-2013, 06:32 PM
We are thinking about doing a non-KCBS sanctioned competition with a tri-tip catagory. I have never cooked tri-tip. I was thinking about using the same seasonings I do for brisket. In a competition setting would you inject a tri-tip? Would you put BBQ sauce on top of the slices. I know you leave it med. rare, so it will get cooked to that temp. In Minnesota I don't think I have ever even seen a tri-tip in the store. I need some help from others more familiar with this cut!

Any tips or suggestions, sear or reverse sear?

We have never cooked one and will try a few before the competition, but thought you could help us with the learning curve.

Eggspert BBQ

WineMaster
01-23-2013, 06:40 PM
I wouldnt inject tri tip. It has a great flavor all alone. Unless I was cooking on a frozen lake. :heh:

Ron_L
01-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Cook it indirect until it hits 115- 120 internal then sear on a hot grill to 125 internal. Slice across the grain.

Rich Parker
01-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Cook it indirect until it hits 115- 120 internal then sear on a hot grill to 125 internal. Slice across the grain.

I think Ron nailed how to cook it. I like to you a large grain rub on my tri tip. Sometimes I will use Montreal Steak seasoning out of the jar or will put it in a coffee grinder to break it down just a little.

jaestar
01-23-2013, 06:52 PM
I've never cooked one but would try it with Oakridge Santa Maria rub.

WineMaster
01-23-2013, 06:58 PM

Oh ya!

chriscw81
01-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Cook it like a steak hot and fast or reverse sear it like the others have said. I'm all about the reverse sear method, you get a nice smoke flavor too. After it cooks I wrap mine in foil for about 20 minutes to rest. The juices that settle in foil get kept for me to lay my slices in. Here is an excellent video on slicing tri-tip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxHmuV4vTU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rich Parker
01-23-2013, 07:07 PM

Good call! I bet the Black Ops would be a good mix too on a tri tip.

Muzzlebrake
01-23-2013, 07:26 PM
I like to use a medium coat of Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow, into mesquite smoke @ 325 until 120ish, sear it over HOT coals to 135ish, rest in a loosely tented pan. Slice & enjoy!

Watch as you slice, the grain tends to curve.

Bigdog
01-23-2013, 07:38 PM

I concur. :thumb: No need to inject. I used a combo rub of carne asada rub and Montreal Steak Seasoning. Farking amazing.

Coz
01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Before you get to worried about the med rare for the contest I believe that Turk said the organiser has a No Blood rule . So you may want to check that out. Montreal spice blend for me.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
01-23-2013, 07:57 PM
If you can't find tri tip, I believe some people call it bottom sirloin tip. I could be wrong though.

Bigdog
01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
I was surprised to find that there are no tritip threads in the roadmap. Anybody up for the challenge?

Eggspert
01-23-2013, 08:48 PM
For a competition would you put sauce on it? I was thinking a sauce similar to what I would do for brisket.
Eggspert BBQ

speedrcer1
01-23-2013, 09:29 PM
I would do a reverse sear with a simple S&P&G rub. Montreal steak seasoning is good.
A hint from last years Pitmasters show. On the tri-tip episode all the tri-tip looked like hell. Not the fault of the cooks. The judges (network) held everything for a while.
So I would cook it rare, resting it, knowing it will cook a little more in the box.
And no sauce other than a little paint of natural au jus.

Smokgineer
01-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Eggspert, I see tri-tip in the twin cities all the time at all the Costco's. I haven't purchased one since around October but I would not think it was seasonal. I don't know how often you get down here but I will look on Sunday and see if they are in stock.

kcmike
01-23-2013, 11:47 PM

I was just thinking the same thing...

Uncle Buds BBQ
01-24-2013, 07:28 AM
For a competition would you put sauce on it? I was thinking a sauce similar to what I would do for brisket.
Eggspert BBQ
Coming from California we cook tri-tip once or twice a month year round. And as previous stated Costco is your best bet to find it.

I would not sauce for a competition. But if you do... go lightly so as not to over power the meat flavor. This is basically a sirloin steak so why mess up the bold steak taste.

At home I take about 5 cloves of garlic and halve them. Make some cuts into the meat and jamb the garlic in. Salt and pepper on the outside and away you go!

Good luck.

billm
01-24-2013, 08:05 AM
i cooked this as a best dish category once..used Oak Ridge Santa Maria Seasoning ..I didnt have a grill with so I cooked it on the top shelf of my Backwoods chubby where it would get more heat ..to about 12o-125 internal..came out fine...sliced and fanned two rows of slices in box like brisket
keep in mind as you are slicing the grain on that cut changes..
I didnt sauce..

Untraceable
01-24-2013, 09:29 AM
I was informed that the no blood is directed at the pork and chicken. Judges would be informed of the diference between blood and delicious beef. and if they couldnt do that, they shouldnt be judging.

Id still stray away from med rare

Outnumbered
01-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Is it like rib roast where you need to go lower cook temp so it maintains a consistent color throughout?

Rich Parker
01-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Is it like rib roast where you need to go lower cook temp so it maintains a consistent color throughout?

They average 2 - 3lbs, so they aren't that thick. I think cooking it slow and indirect and then a hot and fast finish is beneficial to any piece of meat but even more important on the lean select and choice grades.

Coz
01-24-2013, 05:45 PM
I was informed that the no blood is directed at the pork and chicken. Judges would be informed of the diference between blood and delicious beef. and if they couldnt do that, they shouldnt be judging.

OK you heard more then I did.

southernstyle
01-24-2013, 06:15 PM

Definitely on board with the black ops. Its really good

Captain P.J.
01-24-2013, 07:41 PM

I hope so! I "practiced" my tri tip for this contest last weekend and took it to 148* IT and it was past what I would have liked to turn in...

GrillBillie_D
01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
I always cook tri-tip at about 400 until IT reaches about 130 - 135, usually only take 45 minutes (depending on how thick it is)....then pull and rest....when resting, they always just start oozing out with great juices (I dip garlic bread in it :thumb:). We use a rub with a peppery taste....S&P&G would prob be just as good. Sometimes do a combo with Dizzy Pig Rasin' Da Steaks over the top. Oh yeah, we've tried injecting and honestly it doesn't need it.

Make sure you slice across the grain.....made that mistake once!:doh:

big brother smoke
01-24-2013, 10:48 PM
I cook Tri-tip hot and fast in smokers @ 300-375 whilst catering. It comes out buttertery. I only use prime tip from Costco. I pull at 130 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoothsmoke
01-24-2013, 11:47 PM
Something I've been doing is icing the tip of it for about 10 minutes before putting it on the grill. Normally when the larger part of the meat is medium rare, the tip is medium. The icing helps get it to medium rare as a whole.

Oldbob
01-25-2013, 05:31 AM
I have yet to find a Tri-Tip here in Indiana...maybe I have missed them...or maybe they are called something else here?Any Ideas would be appreciated !! Thanks !!

Rich Parker
01-25-2013, 07:08 AM
I have yet to find a Tri-Tip here in Indiana...maybe I have missed them...or maybe they are called something else here?Any Ideas would be appreciated !! Thanks !!

Can't find them in the normal grocery stores up here either. Find a specialty store or a butcher that will order you a case.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

BChawg
01-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Try harterhousemeats.com -- they will ship it free for an order over 100.00 grilling instructions in the box get it with Pappy's seasoning -- Can't be beat. I cooked over 150 Tri Tips this past year for them and had to peel my fingers off the knife once I sliced so many -- good gawd folks love it. They leave a nice 1/8 " fat cap on one side, so you flame that for 5 minutes direct heat and then indirect cook it for another 30-35 minutes till about 135-140 degrees internal. Let it rest and slice -- you will have to chase the grain as it will vary a bit from tri tip to tri tip. OOOO and they have Kobe Tri Tips as well. If you want a taste stop by the Clark Kent Super Smokers booth at the American Royal on Friday night and I'll give you a bite fresh of the pit and you can decide for yourself!

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Clark

Eggspert
01-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Wow. We cooked our first tri-tip tonight with input from all of you, much appreciated by the way, and it was soooo good. Why don't restaurants serve this? Oh my it was so rich, tender, slightly smoky and then delicious caramelized bark from the reverse sear. Wow. I think I found my new favorite Q. I don't understand why they are not more popular in the Midwest. I know you folks from the west coast eat a lot of tri tip, but it's not popular around here.
Eggspert BBQ

Untraceable
01-28-2013, 06:34 AM
shhhhhh, youll drive up the price

MeyerzBBQ
01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
http://www.susieqbrand.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&c=1&p=7

I've used this seasoning for years and everyone loves it. Buy a prime tri tip, sear both sides, cook indirect until you reach an internal temp of 130. Wrap it for 20-30 minutes. Cut and serve. Sauce it up if you'd like. Doesn't really need it unless you want to change the flavor profile.

The Turk
01-29-2013, 04:22 PM
I need to talk to Tony (New Fire on Ice King) about the no blood rule on this entry for Fire on Ice. If tri tip is not a little bloody it's overcooked. In the past simple rubs, almost all salt and pepper with a few additions have been good, I have also tried some really nice marinaded entries and remember all meats can be Pre marinaded. We'll let all the teams know about doneness before the contest. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone there!

Eggspert
01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
I need to talk to Tony (New Fire on Ice King) about the no blood rule on this entry for Fire on Ice. If tri tip is not a little bloody it's overcooked. In the past simple rubs, almost all salt and pepper with a few additions have been good, I have also tried some really nice marinaded entries and remember all meats can be Pre marinaded. We'll let all the teams know about doneness before the contest. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone there!

We talked to Tony at the MN BBQ Banquet and he said, he will educate the judges that tri-tip is more like steak, then traditional BBQ. He said that medium rare should be fine. The no blood rule does not apply to tri-tip he specifically told us. I am going to cook it how it is suppose to be cooked and how it tastes the best, if judges only like "well done" meat then so be it I will get poor scores and be okay with that. I would rather turn in quality product and score poorly then turn in over done shoe leather and score well. It's just principle!

Eggspert BBQ

The Turk
01-29-2013, 05:35 PM
With trip tip, when perfectly cooked should have some meat more done, the ends, and some finished properly, medium rare. P.S. did you talk to Tony before he found the Bar to his liking? See you at Mille Lacs.

Untraceable
01-29-2013, 06:41 PM
That changes a lot of things. I have a feeling the judges are in for a real treat