PDA

View Full Version : Biggest/most respected bbq comp?

Trumpstylz
01-22-2013, 08:18 PM
What would you say is the biggest? Most respectable (Cuz I know a lot of time the one with the largest attendance can be more of a marketing/tourist thing)? Jack daniels? Memphis in May?

Offthehook
01-22-2013, 08:28 PM
I would say the jack

Funtimebbq
01-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Not the biggest in team count but you can't argue with the prestige of King of the Smoker.

boogiesnap
01-22-2013, 09:29 PM
most respectable, i might say sam's national. all master judges, all teams top 10 or better from all regions more than once.

most pretigious, i'd say jack...damn how can you deny competing against teams that won seven or more GC's in a season just to be there. that's big stuff fella's.

Big Poppa
01-22-2013, 09:38 PM
I say the American Royal Invitational...hehehe seriously I thought that before we won it all champions...great judging no celebrity or customer judges.

biggs98
01-22-2013, 09:47 PM
It would have to be hands down WILLIEPALOOZA!!!! :becky:

Muzzlebrake
01-22-2013, 09:56 PM
KCBS, The Royal is the biggest and along with The Jack arguably the most prestigious. I think that while you can certainly add Sam's Club and now King of the Smoker to the discussion they are new events and it will take some time before they reach the same level as The Royal and Jack which just celebrated their 33rd and 24th year respectively.

As far as other sanctioning bodies the Houston Livestock Rodeo and Memphis In May contests are also considered very prestigious trophies.

I'm sure I'm leaving 1 or 2 out but those are the ones that come to mind right off the bat.

boogiesnap
01-22-2013, 09:58 PM
I say the American Royal Invitational...hehehe seriously I thought that before we won it all champions...great judging no celebrity or customer judges.

without a doubt, that for sure is one of them!

OP topic slide, maybe, but, another way to pose the question might be, as a competitor, which big contest would want to GC? royal, jack, sams, MIM?

answers to that might give a better perspective as to what is perceived as the biggest/most prestigious etc.

but really, there are those contests that the best of the best earned attendance and you can't quantify how great they are.

with that right now, i'd say jack or royal if i could choose one to put my name with. :rolleyes:

Neonnblack
01-22-2013, 10:02 PM
hey guys. New guy here, and its definitely the Best in the West Rib Cookoff. Shameless first post, i know.

Scottie
01-22-2013, 10:03 PM

Pffffttttttt...

boogiesnap
01-22-2013, 10:04 PM
hey guys. New guy here, and its definitely the Best in the West Rib Cookoff. Shameless first post, i know.

my plane ticket is already booked. any leads on open hotel rooms?:tongue:

boogiesnap
01-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Pffffttttttt...

without steve around somebodies gotta do it. :cry:

Neonnblack
01-22-2013, 10:35 PM
my plane ticket is already booked. any leads on open hotel rooms?:tongue:

Yeah, book it last year! lol, but no not really. You either gotta be really early or you gotta be ready to pay a premium even for crap hotels/motels. Not me though! :-D

Big Poppa
01-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Scottie way back when you won the jack that was probably number one. Way back

Hawg Father of Seoul
01-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Stop kidding around guys, It's the Jack.

Scottie
01-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Scottie way back when you won the jack that was probably number one. Way back

You should tell Johnny that then... :-P

bbq.tom
01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
It is kind of a matter of perspective IMHO. Depends on what sanctioning body you compete in and what you consider "respectable".

KCBS = AR Invite AND the Jack, and now Samís Club Finals
MIM/MBN = Memphis In May
Between these comps, the largest is MIM, but if you include AR Open then that is the largest.

Most respectable/prestigious "Whole Hog Cook-off" would be the Newport Pig Cooking Contest (80 to 100 teams cooking ONLY whole hog on the grill).

But you canít leave out the World Barbecue Championship as part of the World Food Championship in Las Vegas or the World Barbecue Championship sponsored by the World Barbecue Association (even though there arenít many (if any) teams from the USA involved).

PERSPECTIVE

Lake Dogs
01-23-2013, 09:45 AM
It is kind of a matter of perspective IMHO. Depends on what sanctioning body you compete in and what you consider "respectable".

KCBS = AR Invite AND the Jack, and now Sam’s Club Finals
MIM/MBN = Memphis In May
Between these comps, the largest is MIM, but if you include AR Open then that is the largest.

Most respectable/prestigious "Whole Hog Cook-off" would be the Newport Pig Cooking Contest (80 to 100 teams cooking ONLY whole hog on the grill).

But you can’t leave out the World Barbecue Championship as part of the World Food Championship in Las Vegas or the World Barbecue Championship sponsored by the World Barbecue Association (even though there aren’t many (if any) teams from the USA involved).

PERSPECTIVE

Agreed. I've always thought of the "Big 3" as AR, Jack, and MiM, in no particular order.

There are many out there that I'd say are close in many aspects, you mentioned a few, mentioned earlier was the Houston Livestock one, I haven't seen anyone mentioned (is it) Salisbury in MD (Pork N The Park, I think), and two others in GA being Big Pig Jig in Vienna and the National BBQ Festival (was in Dillard, now in Waycross.

bbq.tom
01-23-2013, 09:58 AM
There are many out there that I'd say are close in many aspects, you mentioned a few, mentioned earlier was the Houston Livestock one, I haven't seen anyone mentioned (is it) Salisbury in MD (Pork N The Park, I think), and two others in GA being Big Pig Jig in Vienna and the National BBQ Festival (was in Dillard, now in Waycross.

FYI...
The National BBQ Festival (formerly held in Dillard, then moved to Waycross in 2011) has ceased existance as a bbq contest. Kell stated that they held the contest for 10 years, but decided it just wasn't "fun" any more so they cancelled it last year.

Many organizations hold contests that they consider "respectible/prestigous", but to outsiders they may not show up on their radar.

Big Poppa
01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Houston is pretty cool too....

Jorge
01-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Houston is pretty cool too....

If you want to know anything about the time Scottie spent in Houston, you should probably ask Randy Pauly:mrgreen::mrgreen:

RangerJ
01-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Houston is right around the corner. The amount of money spent on that event is mind boggling.

Rich Parker
01-23-2013, 11:17 AM
The Jack is probably top on my list.

Podge
01-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Even though, not near as large or well known, there are plenty of great state contests that are run very much respected by the people who attend them year in, year out.. I think it starts with Organizers who are very passionate about running a contest, along with great reps.. I feel very fortunate to be able to compete in those kind of contests.

deguerre
01-23-2013, 02:51 PM
If chicken is involved it's NOT a BBQ contest. Just sayin'...

:bolt:

OK, off to my room now.

:becky:

Scottie
01-23-2013, 03:01 PM
If you want to know anything about the time Scottie spent in Houston, you should probably ask Randy Pauly:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Man, what a set-up Holy Cow Cookers has! Coyote Ugly on the bar. And it is a real bar... that is about all I will say. Other than i like cowgirls...:evil:

Jorge
01-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Man, what a set-up Holy Cow Cookers has! Coyote Ugly on the bar. And it is a real bar... that is about all I will say. Other than i like cowgirls...:evil:

I describe HLSR to people that have never been as a combo of the Royal and MIM on steroids. I haven't had too many folks disagree after they have been there.

Bentley
01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
American Royal Open.

jimbloomfield
01-23-2013, 07:15 PM
American Royal

Coz
01-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Toss up for me The Jack and the Royal Open. Having finally weaseled our way to the Jack , I can truly say that If we get the chance to do both in the same year I will do what ever it takes to make both. Driving over the bridge at the Royal and lookin at all those cookers WOW

DawgPhan
01-24-2013, 09:13 AM
royal jack mim

TooSaucedToPork
01-24-2013, 10:14 AM
IMHO

Depends on the kind of BBQ you are cooking...

For Pork the most prestigous is Memphis in May as that is what MIM focuses on. Ribs, Shoulder, and Whole Hog. It is certified as the largest Pork BBQ Contest in the World. This make the winner of Memphis in May the World PORK BBQ Champion

For Brisket it is the Houston Rodeo. Nobody does Brisket like Texas and this is the biggest, baddest Comp in the Lonestar State. You win this and you are the KING of Beef BBQ.

For KCBS it is the Royal. As KCBS is a style adapted all over the USA due to it being the premeire and most used sanctioning organization, this means you are the top amongst 5500+ BBQ Teams in the organization. You are the KCBS World Champion

Now that brings me to the Jack. The winner of MIM is invited to the Jack, the winner of the Royal is invited to the Jack, pretty much gotta be a Grand Champion at one (more times than most many) regional contests. Since the Jack is, unlike the Royal, composed of winning teams from different sanctioning organizations besides KCBS, I would argue that this makes the Jack Grand Champion the Overall BBQ World Champion as you have to be able to cook many styles of BBQ well in order to win.

Like I said, Just my view

Neil

Scottie
01-24-2013, 10:50 AM
The winner of Houston Rodeo is also invited to the Jack.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
01-24-2013, 11:54 AM
We've had an AR invite several times and I have never bothered to go. I've never had my name called for the Jack and don't plan on turning it down WHEN it happens. Perspective.

Alexa RnQ
01-24-2013, 12:39 PM
For us, always and only, the Jack.

We've qualified a number of ways: through the draw twice, through a one-and-done contest once, and twice by grinding out 7.

They may have taken years off my life, but I'd rather do those 7 years again than sit through another Draw Day.

Ryan Chester
01-24-2013, 04:03 PM
AR as the largest for sure.

King of the Smoker as most prestigious. Yes the jack has 7 GC in 1 year guys but you can also get in by being lucky with 1 GC. Not to discount the difficulty in getting 1 GC but KOS is a more concentrated field of multiple GC winners who are hands down the best in the country. Not to mention the location/amenities being second to none!

boogiesnap
01-24-2013, 06:47 PM
i can see that^^^^.

i suppose it might be all relative like most things.

if i told someone i won the jack, MIM, or royal:roll:, they'd probably know what i meant. king of smokers, unlikely, despite it's prestige within our circle.

TooSaucedToPork
01-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Really??? King of Smokers, Sam's, World Food Championships??

Not to disrespect people's opinions but, they've only been around a couple years. You'll find just as many (if not more) teams with amazing track records at the Jack, MIM, and the Royal.

Not to discount those contests, but the prestige of contests is built by the skill of the teams competing AND age. In order of oldest to youngest: The Houston Rodeo, Memphis in May, the Royal, and the Jack are BBQ institutions...that creates prestige.

Wait ten years and ask this question again...I bet you ten bucks the four listed above will still be around, and still be considered the most prestigious in BBQ, where as many of the others; Sam's, World Food, King of Smokers...will be in the ash pan. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them lasting the decades the Legendary 4 have.

Lake Dogs
01-25-2013, 06:16 AM
IMHO

Depends on the kind of BBQ you are cooking...

For Pork the most prestigous is Memphis in May as that is what MIM focuses on. Ribs, Shoulder, and Whole Hog. It is certified as the largest Pork BBQ Contest in the World. This make the winner of Memphis in May the World PORK BBQ Champion

For Brisket it is the Houston Rodeo. Nobody does Brisket like Texas and this is the biggest, baddest Comp in the Lonestar State. You win this and you are the KING of Beef BBQ.

For KCBS it is the Royal. As KCBS is a style adapted all over the USA due to it being the premeire and most used sanctioning organization, this means you are the top amongst 5500+ BBQ Teams in the organization. You are the KCBS World Champion

Now that brings me to the Jack. The winner of MIM is invited to the Jack, the winner of the Royal is invited to the Jack, pretty much gotta be a Grand Champion at one (more times than most many) regional contests. Since the Jack is, unlike the Royal, composed of winning teams from different sanctioning organizations besides KCBS, I would argue that this makes the Jack Grand Champion the Overall BBQ World Champion as you have to be able to cook many styles of BBQ well in order to win.

Like I said, Just my view

Neil

Neil, I was trying to find a way to apply the appropriate perspective on each of them, and darned if you didnt do it (above).

+1

Careful though; you may accidentally lift a few folks' blinders.

Scottie
01-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Ronnie Cates was claiming a few years ago his contest was going to be bigger than All of them. Last I checked, the Big 4 are still there. And by no means is this any disrespect to those other contests that folks claim.

Meat@Slim's
01-25-2013, 08:38 AM
AR as the largest for sure.

King of the Smoker as most prestigious. Yes the jack has 7 GC in 1 year guys but you can also get in by being lucky with 1 GC. Not to discount the difficulty in getting 1 GC but KOS is a more concentrated field of multiple GC winners who are hands down the best in the country. Not to mention the location/amenities being second to none!

So how do you qualify or get invited to KOS?

Seems to me the most elite to qualify for and then get invited to is the Jack.

JD McGee
01-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Biggest...The American Royal...
Most respected...The Jack...
Most sought after invitation...King Of The Smoker...

In my humble opinion...:cool:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Rich Parker
01-25-2013, 09:43 AM
I have a hard time seeing prestige in an event that does not have published rules on how to get in.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

DawgPhan
01-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Biggest...The American Royal...
Most respected...The Jack...
Most sought after invitation...King Of The Smoker...

In my humble opinion...:cool:

I have never once heard anyone talk about trying to get an invite to the King Of Smokers contest. I am glad you guys all had a great time at the event.

Smokedelic
01-25-2013, 10:13 AM
I have never once heard anyone talk about trying to get an invite to the King Of Smokers contest. I am glad you guys all had a great time at the event.

Trust me, they'll talk about it now...

JD McGee
01-25-2013, 10:39 AM

We were not there...lol! You missed the "In my humble opinion" part...

DawgPhan
01-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Trust me, they'll talk about it now...

some how I doubt it.

Muzzlebrake
01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Really??? King of Smokers, Sam's, World Food Championships??

Not to disrespect people's opinions but, they've only been around a couple years. You'll find just as many (if not more) teams with amazing track records at the Jack, MIM, and the Royal.

Not to discount those contests, but the prestige of contests is built by the skill of the teams competing AND age. In order of oldest to youngest: The Houston Rodeo, Memphis in May, the Royal, and the Jack are BBQ institutions...that creates prestige.

Wait ten years and ask this question again...I bet you ten bucks the four listed above will still be around, and still be considered the most prestigious in BBQ, where as many of the others; Sam's, World Food, King of Smokers...will be in the ash pan. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them lasting the decades the Legendary 4 have.

I agree with most of what you said and said as much back on page one. However the original question was what is the "biggest/most respected bbq comp" and that does not always coincide with what is the oldest/most prestigious.
I agree with and like what you referred to as " the Legendary 4". But to say that a contest cannot be considered to be one of the most respectable for no other reason than longevity i think, is off base.
I have no idea how long some of these contests will be around but happen think that any title paying $50k to a team that wins a 3 round tournament of some of the best teams in the country has my respect.
As for KOS, when you have cooks the caliber of a Rod Gray talking about how great a contest he did not win was on the ride home, I think it might be a just a little bit special.
Now if we ask the question in ten years as you suggest, these newer contest still won't IMO have the same status as "the 4" but they will have had a pretty good run. If we're saying the same thing 20 years from now, then they might be approaching Legendary. To say that they can't be respected now because they are in their early years though, I don't think is fair.

wingpirate
01-25-2013, 02:42 PM
No hate here, I honestly have never heard of King Of Smokers. I guess I'll need to look that one up. :icon_cool

big brother smoke
01-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Here are my thoughts:

To dismiss the KOS event is foolishness. The competition there is as stiff as it gets IMHO. I have my invite to AR; I have a couple of Bungs in the barrel for the Jack and I am hoping to be considered for the next KOS event.

DawgPhan
01-25-2013, 03:09 PM
I know you cali guys have to stick up for each other, but no one is over looking that event or dismissing it or anything else. By all account was a really great contest and one that a lot of people want to attend.

Smokedelic
01-25-2013, 05:30 PM
some how I doubt it.

Because you weren't there...

Lake Dogs
01-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Always fun to get an invite to the Nude n Q'd, sponsored by The Cheetah III in Atlanta.

Prestigious... If you have enough money; sure is.

TooSaucedToPork
01-25-2013, 07:02 PM
I agree with most of what you said and said as much back on page one. However the original question was what is the "biggest/most respected bbq comp" and that does not always coincide with what is the oldest/most prestigious.
I agree with and like what you referred to as " the Legendary 4". But to say that a contest cannot be considered to be one of the most respectable for no other reason than longevity i think, is off base.
I have no idea how long some of these contests will be around but happen think that any title paying $50k to a team that wins a 3 round tournament of some of the best teams in the country has my respect.
As for KOS, when you have cooks the caliber of a Rod Gray talking about how great a contest he did not win was on the ride home, I think it might be a just a little bit special.
Now if we ask the question in ten years as you suggest, these newer contest still won't IMO have the same status as "the 4" but they will have had a pretty good run. If we're saying the same thing 20 years from now, then they might be approaching Legendary. To say that they can't be respected now because they are in their early years though, I don't think is fair.

Like I said, totally my opinion. A few people in the thread started throwing around the word "Prestigious"

The King of the Smoker looks like a great contest...I had to look it up to know exactly what it was, and I know ALOT about what goes on in BBQ.

Do I consider it a respectable contest, yes after reading about it I do...Do I consider it the MOST respectable or even one of the MOST respectable...not at all. Give it a few years to earn street cred and maybe it could be, who knows.

If I were to create the "WORLD BBQ BOWL", get a bunch of sponsors to put up a $150,000 prize, and invite the absolute best in BBQ to compete for it...would that make it the MOST respectable contest? Some would say yes because the "best" are there...I would say no because it needs time to mature and gain respect and status as a contest...

Like I said, just my opinion.

Podge
01-26-2013, 11:00 AM
If I were to create the "WORLD BBQ BOWL", get a bunch of sponsors to put up a $150,000 prize, and invite the absolute best in BBQ to compete for it...would that make it the MOST respectable contest? Some would say yes because the "best" are there...I would say no because it needs time to mature and gain respect and status as a contest...

Like I said, just my opinion.

Sam's is closely doing that. 750 teams down to 1. And it doesn't have to be an invite either. Just quick with the computer at sign-in time. This does not mean that I find it the most respectable contest. I haven't been to one to form an opinion.

TooSaucedToPork
01-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Sam's is closely doing that. 750 teams down to 1. And it doesn't have to be an invite either. Just quick with the computer at sign-in time. This does not mean that I find it the most respectable contest. I haven't been to one to form an opinion.

But again, you must be a KCBS member to do Sam's. So its not the "Best in BBQ", its the bestin KCBS.