PDA

View Full Version : Med. Spicewine vs BBQ Safe

Eggspert
01-22-2013, 04:20 PM
We do competition BBQ and are tossing the idea around of adding another smoker to gain more capacity. I was just curious if anyone has cooked on a Spicewine Smoker and/or a BBQ Vault or Safe. Any pros and cons to these two smokers. Just curious about construction, ease of cooking on, consistent temperature, etc. Let me know your thoughts. If anyone has cooked on both I would especially love to hear your input.

Eggspert BBQ

smokinit
01-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Have you considered Backwoods in the mix.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Fatback Joe
01-22-2013, 08:33 PM
I like my med. spicewine very well and would have no trouble recommending it other than it is a handful to move if you aren't on pavement tough so load/unload since it is so damn heavy.......but man does it cook well.

Muzzlebrake
01-22-2013, 08:36 PM
I've never cooked on a BBQ vault or safe but I have cooked on more than one Spicewine. It's been a while but I remember them to be very efficient and hold steady temperatures even in some adverse conditions. They are second to none when it comes to craftsmanship solid as a rock, are built to last a lifetime are customizable, beautiful cookers. The tradeoff of the solid construction is they are not light. As long as you are properly prepared you can move it around easily enough but they are not what I would call nimble. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you pick a Spicewine.
Jay Curry the owner is a long time Brethren and a great guy. Don't be afraid to drop him a line to find out anything else you want to know.

stan
01-22-2013, 08:46 PM
I have cooked on a spicewine and I own a vault they are very comparable. I like the vault better but that is my preference. I would recommend you cook on both. They cook very close to each other. Find someone that has one of them and cook to see if you like it.

jbrink01
01-23-2013, 07:32 AM
Might consider a Rebel. Just my $.02.

Eggspert
01-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Do the spicewine smokers come with wheels? We will be hauling in an enclosed trailer with a ramp in the back. We already haul 3 large BGE's, which are not easy to load, push on gravel/grass, etc. We could think about propping the ramp door up and just smoking out the back of the trailer???

I have seen a number of Backwoods Smokers and they just don't seem like the same construction as the Spicewine and BBQ safe/vault. I want something that is going to hold up for a long time. Also I want something that is well insulated and will hold temp. We cook a lot in the bitter cold MN winter and I don't want a smoker that is going to struggle with that. Also after cooking on BGE's, we like to set up the smoker and forget about it, which I would think the more insulation the easier that is to do.

County Line Smoker, what do you like about the BBQ vault over the Spicewine? Do you notice any difference in flavor on your meat?

Does anyone in Minnesota own either one of these smokers? Anyone willing to let us see the smoker working?

Thanks for the help everyone,
Eggspert BBQ

thillin
01-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes, the SW has wheels. I cook on a med SW and a large egg at comps. Running with a guru, and I made a U shape charcoal backet. Love it and have been doing great with the combo.

thillin
01-23-2013, 09:32 PM
let me know if you have any other questions.

Bonkers789
01-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Ty's set up is nice
Also look into r&o smokers his fatgirl is nice

BBQ_MAFIA
01-24-2013, 04:50 AM
The Spicewine is a great cooker.
It will certainly last a lifetime.