PDA

View Full Version : new bbq logo, what do you think?

gibbleDaddy
01-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Full Belly BBQ is the team name. brutal honesty is appreciated.

deguerre
01-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Hate the dotted line, but the rest is good.

gibbleDaddy
01-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Hate the dotted line, but the rest is good.

ahh yes that dotted line is not in the logo,just part of the web based tool for making clothing. oops.

Mustanger
01-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Looks Great!!!

Especially without the dotted line.

deguerre
01-22-2013, 02:53 PM
ahh yes that dotted line is not in the logo,just part of the web based tool for making clothing. oops.

Ah! Good. I do like the atypical font, it goes very well with the illustration, which I also like because it is unlike most anthropomorphic critters you see in logos all the time, and is simply a well done caricature drawn nicely.

Slamdunkpro
01-22-2013, 03:06 PM
From the East German Judge:

It's difficult to figure out what the dog is at first. On small logos like shirt breasts and possibly the hat (esp with embroidery) all you're going to have is an undecipherable orange half moon. I'd suggest exaggerating some of the details like the front legs and the ears to make the dog more identifiable.

fnbish
01-22-2013, 03:12 PM
I like the name a lot. Not crazy about the dog though. But probably easier on the eyes than a really fat guy. Any particular reason you chose the dog?

gibbleDaddy
01-22-2013, 03:15 PM
I like the name a lot. Not crazy about the dog though. But probably easier on the eyes than a really fat guy. Any particular reason you chose the dog?

we have weiner dogs and they are cute (and love BBQ). and to someone else's point: i have seen enough beer guts or grandma bellies in my day!

deguerre
01-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Still really like the dog. It reminds me of that cartoon where the dog is eating scraps under the table going back and forth until it's eaten so much the legs no longer reach the ground so it can't get to the food.:becky:

I'm not a professional illustrator any more but I do have an MFA, which means I have license to bullchit. :becky::becky: SDP makes a good point though. On some applications, the dog's outline might benefit from being a little more bold, but for me, that might detract from it's appeal. It has whimsy.

gibbleDaddy
01-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Still really like the dog. It reminds me of that cartoon where the dog is eating scraps under the table going back and forth until it's eaten so much the legs no longer reach the ground so it can't get to the food.:becky:

can i use that to describe the logo? it really fits my weiner dog. he will lay down if gets tired of standing but not tired of eating!

Lion Bout The Q
01-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Pretty cool

NickyG
01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
The wiener dog is awesome! Then again I am partial to them! I agree with making the dog more identifiable though.

timzcardz
01-22-2013, 04:09 PM
From the East German Judge:

It's difficult to figure out what the dog is at first. On small logos like shirt breasts and possibly the hat (esp with embroidery) all you're going to have is an undecipherable orange half moon. I'd suggest exaggerating some of the details like the front legs and the ears to make the dog more identifiable.

Maybe not brutal, but in all honesty I couldn't even tell that it was a dog. But then, that may just be me.

What really matters though is what you think.

deguerre
01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Guess I might be in the minority on instantly recognizing the doggie.

deguerre
01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Found it!

Fed Up - Simon's Sister's Dog with the RSPCA - YouTube

Lake Dogs
01-22-2013, 04:37 PM
i saw a very fat over-stuffed DOG; first time; not even a double-take. Looks like a weenie-dog that ate both cats...

Big Mike
01-22-2013, 04:43 PM
I thought the dog was actually a funky looking stomach (belly) at first. It took me a bit to figure out it was a dog.

N8man
01-22-2013, 04:57 PM
I Freakin' Love It!!!
As my colleague so elegantly described it, it has whimsy and, is delightful...
It is a breath of fresh air to see something other than the "cookie cutter" style
so prevalent with many of the BBQ logos,(of which I, myself, am guilty of drawing)

Kudos to you for stepping to a different beat....

Midnight Smoke
01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Nice but to me the dog looks like a seal...

cameraman
01-22-2013, 05:02 PM
On first glance I didn't recognize the image as a dog. Looked like one of those stuffed offal dishes you see on the strange food shows from time to time.

cpw
01-22-2013, 05:08 PM
I really like it! I do agree that you may want to "over-enunciate" the dog a little so it'll show up better embroidered and all that.

dhuffjr
01-22-2013, 05:25 PM
I like it. Also that it has meaning to you. I saw the dog right away FWIW

sdbbq1234
01-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Great name and great pic!

Go for it!!

wallace

MilitantSquatter
01-22-2013, 08:28 PM
At first, quick glance I could not tell it was a dog... thought it might be some pig...

Then when I realized it might be a dog, I questioned the association of a dog with a fully belly and BBQ.

All that said, it grows on you.. and I like it.

MattG
01-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Nice Logo. The dog adds the personal touch. Nice.

Outnumbered
01-22-2013, 08:41 PM
I got the dog right off and thought it was great. Guerry's statemeny of whimsy is a great way to say it. Love it.

Smokenstein & monster crew
01-22-2013, 08:45 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127226

boogiesnap
01-22-2013, 09:16 PM
i like it. slamdunk is right though, you'll never get those details in smaller renditions, unless silkscreened, and even then, seeing them could be tough.

as the father of a six year old, i am familiar with the illustration style and font and appreciate the deviation from the current trend.

i also like the play between the context of the name and the dog. one would initially think the people are full, but having a dog too, i know how it goes.:becky:

while i don't have an MFA like duguerre(fancy pants gubment employee with too much time on his hands and earned an MFA)i was sent to MASSART for college, so i like to chitchat this chit too. :-P

Mr. D
01-23-2013, 07:07 AM
at first glance I thought, "that Pig sure looks a lot like my weiner dog", and then I said "that is a weiner dog". Looks great. We have two of them and love em. Our big one was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of months ago and has had to go on insulin shots twice a day and gone from looking like your logo to half his body weight. He is now in the best shape of his life. Got to love weiner dogs.

gibbleDaddy
01-23-2013, 07:51 AM
thanks to everyone who responded with comments and helpful suggestions. in the second round of ordering merchandise we may try to make the dog a bit more recognizeable, i could easily see how it looks like a seal :loco: i tried to add the logo into the thread for bbq team logos but it is too old. thanks again!

Jaskew82
01-23-2013, 07:55 AM
I love it!

gibbleDaddy
01-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Found it!

Fed Up - Simon's Sister's Dog with the RSPCA - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQCwHluBqFc)

haha great video, my parents dog is just like that.

boogiesnap
01-23-2013, 08:04 AM
thanks to everyone who responded with comments and helpful suggestions. in the second round of ordering merchandise we may try to make the dog a bit more recognizeable, i could easily see how it looks like a seal :loco: i tried to add the logo into the thread for bbq team logos but it is too old. thanks again!

you can post to old threads, just need to hit "accept" or whatever it is down at the bottom of the page.

gibbleDaddy
01-23-2013, 08:15 AM
you can post to old threads, just need to hit "accept" or whatever it is down at the bottom of the page.

here is the message i get and i don't see any accept button.

This Thread is more than 36 days old, you can't reply to it.

boogiesnap
01-23-2013, 08:23 AM
hmm. i get a different one. maybe once you find some wood to cook with? someone smarter than i will know.

Basted moral support guy
01-23-2013, 04:27 PM
The graphic designer in me wants a different font and for the dog to be more easily identifiable as a dog (for ease of recognition). The barbecuer in me digs it. The graphic design me never amounted to much anyway (probably why I work in real-estate).

In summation, print it up!

deguerre
01-24-2013, 08:10 AM
here is the message i get and i don't see any accept button.

This Thread is more than 36 days old, you can't reply to it.

At the bottom of the page there's a box warning of old thread...there's a box that says I realize the thread is old but I want to post anyway. Just click to check and then hit post. I bumped it a minute ago.( Or, you get the same warning after you try to post so again, just check the box there)