PDA

View Full Version : Mustard, Oil or Nothing and WHY?

Bodybag
01-18-2013, 09:51 AM
I've debated my team partner on this a few times. He's a oil guy and I'm a mustard guy. He makes some good points regarding using oil as a base for rub, and I have my opinions on mustard, but what do you all think, and more importantly WHY?

CBQ
01-18-2013, 11:20 AM
I don't see much difference whether I use a binder or not.

luke duke
01-18-2013, 11:20 AM
I've never seen a reason to use anything.

John Bowen
01-18-2013, 11:42 AM
When I first started Q’ing I used mustard – not for any other reason but to give me a visual aid when applying rub. A few years ago I changed to peanut oil after I watched Johnny Trigg use it on his ribs. I really could not tell any real difference between the two but since we always keep oil in our cook box I use a little since it is there. I do notice the times when I don’t use a binder my cutting board has a lot more rub left on it than when I do use a binder.
I have always known that there was a mustard / oil debate but for the life of me I can’t understand why.

indianagriller
01-18-2013, 11:50 AM
I have always heard that some spices give off more flavor if combined with an oil, maybe im wrong.

bruno994
01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm not a believer, but I have read or seen a number of people stating that the vinegar in the mustard helps tenderize the meat. Not sure of the validity to this claim...

boogiesnap
01-18-2013, 04:45 PM
the spices in seasonings are soluble in oil but not water. thus, they break down and release more flavor. after cooking for many hours though, not sure if it makes a diff. vinegar is an acid and 'cooks" the meat slightly, like a ceviche, again not sure if it makes a diff.

with that said, i use peanut oil on ribs(i can taste that nutty flavor and like it), and a mustard based slather on pork called hit me fred by pitmaster t, no wait, the resurected barbefunkoramaque.

cooper669
01-18-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm going to try mustard on my first brisket this weekend.:-o