PDA

View Full Version : KCBS Judges & Teams: KCBS Events Search Application General Availability

gw1500se
01-18-2013, 09:29 AM
First I want to thank the beta testers that helped find bugs in this application before general availability.

As a judge it seemed like an arduous task to find events that were within a reasonable driving distance. I had to look through the web site for something that seemed close enough then find how far it is and determine if I want to apply. As a solution I decided to write an application in which I can specify a "home" location and a maximum driving time or distance. The application then scans all future KCBS Events and calculates the distance from the "home" location. It then gives me a list of events within that specified distance. In addition, it includes a link to the event website to make finding the application easier. I also had trouble keeping track of which events I had submitted an application so I added a feature that tracks events for which I had and those for which I was confirmed. I found it even more useful when I was planning to travel to unfamiliar areas. I could easily find if there were any nearby events at the time I was going to be there and possibly apply.

I thought this was sufficiently useful that I would share it with fellow KCBS members. This is a standalone Java application so it requires no installation and should work on any desktop/laptop computer with Java JRE 7 or better installed. It has been tested on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and several distributions of Linux. Since Java is platform independent, there is no reason to think it would not work on a Mac as well. Sorry, there is no mobile version at this time.

This is shareware so there is no cost to KCBS members for personal use. If you find it useful a donation is requested to defray costs of support and future releases but not required. To download the application simply click on this link and fill in the form. Further instruction will be provided at that point.

http://dap002.dyndns-ip.com/KCBSEvents

ButchB
01-18-2013, 09:48 AM
I tried it but it says its for certified judges only.

cpw
01-18-2013, 09:54 AM
I tried it but it says its for certified judges only.

Same here.

gw1500se
01-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Is your KCBS membership up to date?

I did not make it for general use since I did not see a point for non-KCBS judges or teams. I may need to rethink that if non-KCBS members think it would be useful.

bmonkman
01-18-2013, 10:46 AM
I don't believe KCBS membership is required to compete in most KCBS sanctioned vents. So, yes, I believe it would be useful for competitors who are not members of KCBS.

Brian

BrewerDJ
01-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Same problem here. And I have an up to date membership but I am not a certified judge. And you said this was for KCBS Judges AND Teams.

gw1500se
01-18-2013, 10:58 AM
But it is for judging. The main reason for limiting it is to prevent robots from killing my server with downloads. If I require something I can verify such as KCBS membership then bogus downloads are prevented. I would need to think how to allow non-members to download without opening my server to attacks. I don't like using captcha.

gw1500se
01-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Same problem here. And I have an up to date membership but I am not a certified judge. And you said this was for KCBS Judges AND Teams.
I'd like to make it for teams but verifying teams that are not judges is problematic. The KCBS web site makes verifying judges easy but teams are much more difficult. It is something I plan to work on but for now the automation only works for certified judges.

However, I can handle teams manually. If you PM me your name, membership number, email address and team name, I can get you the app.

ButchB
01-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah my membership is up to date. PM sent.

rweller
01-18-2013, 02:39 PM
It told me the same thing and I am a paid up member and CBJ.

gw1500se
01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
It told me the same thing and I am a paid up member and CBJ.
Did you include the suffix on your name the same way it is on KCBS? You may have uncovered a bug as I think your are the first one with a suffix. PM me your KCBS number and I'll check it out if you still can't get verified.

Porcine Perfection
01-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Worked great for me. Thank you!

fnbish
01-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Did you ever try just seaching the events section on KCBS' site for "GA"? Then it only lists the ones in Georgia. That is how I gauge my distance, by only then seeing what is in the state and how far that city is.

gw1500se
01-18-2013, 06:42 PM
No need, that is why I wrote this tool. I'm in north GA so all of south GA is too far. I'd have to search GA, Al, NC, SC and TN which are all potentially in range.

cpw
01-18-2013, 06:55 PM
It works like a champ, after an upgrade to the latest version of java. Turns out there's 5 contests within a 4 hour drive of me.

fnbish
01-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Loganville isn't that north :razz:. I guess I figured you might just be looking in GA :loco:, but yes your way is easier. I'm more of an eyeball it kind of guy :becky:.

Uncle Buds BBQ
01-18-2013, 10:01 PM
As a judge and a cook I find this tool very valuable and will gladly make the donation to help keep it supported.

Thanks for writing it!

2Fat
01-19-2013, 09:39 AM
works great for me!!!

Ron_L
01-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Is it safe to use Java again? Last I heard was that there were still vulnerabilities in Java 7 Update 11 and I don't see a newer version on the Oracle web site.

gw1500se
01-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Java JRE 7u11 has the vulnerability fixed.

gw1500se
01-20-2013, 02:00 PM
This is an update for KCBS members on a registered team but are not a certified judge. I believe I have the verification working for you. If you have any trouble verifying now, please let me know.

In addition, for those judges that had trouble verifying because your name consisted of more than just 2 parts, that is also fixed.

Sorry for any inconvenience but thanks for your patience.

Teamfour
01-20-2013, 02:19 PM
This is an update for KDBS members on a registered team but are not a certified judge. I believe I have the verification working for you. If you have any trouble verifying now, please let me know.

In addition, for those judges that had trouble verifying because your name consisted of more than just 2 parts, that is also fixed.

Sorry for any inconvenience but thanks for your patience.

Works fantastic now!! Note: team name is CASE sensitive. Thanks!