PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee

Just BS
01-17-2013, 11:25 PM
I'll be flying into Nashville the first week of April.

On my "To do" list:
~ Drive down to Lynchburg and meet Jack.
~ Stop at Martins on the way back for lunch.
~ See the Grand Ol' Oprey.
~ Road trip to Memphis for a night of debauchery on Beal St.
~ Visit Elvis at Graceland.

Any suggestions on BBQ in Memphis? I was told Corcky's was good.

Maybe someplace to stop for lunch on the road between Nashville and Memphis. The smaller, funkier, the better.

I'd also like to do some Turkey Hunting if anybody has a connection. I don"t really need to kill one, would just enjoy being out in the woods, calling 'em in for the experience. Kalifornia hunting sucks!

I know it's a stretch, but lastly, I'd like to try some good ol' fashion moonshine and/or some "Apple Pie".

Any other "Must Do's" while in the Volunteer State???

TRS
01-18-2013, 05:33 AM
Martins is good and you will enjoy the Jack tour. I live about 1 mile from Martins and Jack Daniels is only about 65 miles or so from here.
The original Opry is downtown Nashville and its the Ryman. The "new" Opry is across from Opryland Mall and thats where all the performances are now but the original Opry was the Ryman off of Broad St downtown.
Shine is illegal here :wink:. There are a few places that sell "legal" shine (liquor stores). If you pick up a qt or so and infuse it with apples you can have some legal apple pie. Visitors may have a hard time getting real shine though.
As far as turkey's, they are usually walking around fields along the side of the backroads. Take a ride down the Natchez Trace and you will most likely see hundreds of wild turkey's. While you cannot hunt there you can hike and walk around in the woods/fields and practice calling them.
Country Music Hall of Fame is good if you like country music. It's right arcross from the Bridgestone Arena downtown. If you go downtown and park you can walk to the Ryman, Country Music Hall of Fame, and hit all the honky tonks downtown. There is live music in every bar on Broad St everyday/night of the week. Tootsie's is where many stars got their start.
There is also a Hard Rock Cafe, Jimmy Buffet's, Coyote Ugly, and a few micro breweries downtown also. George Dickel Distillery is not too far either if you want to tour another distillery.
Not familiar with anything in between here and Memphis besides Loretta Lynn's ranch in Hurricane Mills.
Enjoy your trip to Tennessee.

John Bowen
01-18-2013, 07:48 AM
In Memphis Rendezvous BBQ is good and I also can suggest eating at 10 Bones BBQ. If you want a good steak – The Butcher Shop is a classic old school steak house and they have the fire pit right there in the dining room. You can watch or even cook it yourself.

WineMaster
01-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Memphis is a cool place. Gotta try Gus's Fried Chicken and Leonards BBQ. Corkys was good too.

gtr
01-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Big +1 on Gus's. Make sure you get the fried green tomatoes too.

You might wanna pull through a Krystal's while you're out that way. :thumb:

It's been a long time, but I had a very good meal at Central BBQ on Central a while back.

WineMaster
01-18-2013, 11:15 AM
All the grocery stores carry Corkys sauces along with alot of local rubs and sauces. Stop by one and grab some to use on your Q. Great way to experience their flavor on good Q. Definately get a bottle of the Corkys apple.

cameraman
01-18-2013, 11:19 AM
While you're in Nashville you really should consider stopping at Arnold's for lunch. Southern cooking at its finest.

JBF Awards 2009: Arnolds Country Kitchen (Nashville, TN), Americas Classic Award - YouTube

deguerre
01-18-2013, 11:35 AM
All the grocery stores carry Corkys sauces along with alot of local rubs and sauces. Stop by one and grab some to use on your Q. Great way to experience their flavor on good Q. Definately get a bottle of the Corkys apple.

Yep. Definitely stop at a Kroger and get Corky's, Germantown Commissary, and The Rendezvouz rubs. The Rendezvouz is a very interesting and savory one.

Heck. You can even get Corky's pulled pork, ribs and chicken in the frozen food section and microwave them in the hotel room. Not that you'd want to, but you could.

deguerre
01-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Oh, also, as GTR said, Gus' Fried Chicken is a MUST. It's downtown just a trolly ride away from Beale.

John Bowen
01-18-2013, 11:58 AM
I can't believe I forgot about Gus's Fried Chicken - a must stop! I think I will go there tomorrow when we go to Memphis! :grin:

Stingerhook
01-18-2013, 05:14 PM
I second Martins and Jack. The only problem is Jack is in a dry county so there are no samples!