PDA

View Full Version : I am thinking again to develop WiFi thermometer to beat igrill

woodpelletsmoker
01-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Inspired by success of igrill, I was thinking to develop a WIFI thermometer.
I gave up later as I heared too many goods about igrill.
But today I read different stories, I am thinking again to develop WIFI thermometer.

No Bluetooth Range!
Written by Ron B from Kansas City
Oct 31, 2012
The Igrill works great if you are in a travel trailer and grilling outside your unit, but if your grilling in your garage and want to walk to the other end of your home and watch Telelvision, forget it, it won't happen, I could not be more than 40-50 feet away from my smoker using the Igrill, it has no blue tooth range. Sure, it works great if you have fresh batteries and no obstuctions, but if you put a wall between you and your grill the range is very limited. In summary the igrill eats batteries and it has very little range.

Goog idea - doesn't work
Written by Kim R from Cairns
Jul 28, 2012
I really liked the idea of this product, but found it really hard to connect to either my iPhone or. iPad. Used it twice before it brokdown -will be askiing for my money back!
Not recommended for real cooks.

Doesn't work as advertised
Written by Farrell B from Colorado Springs
Jul 16, 2012
The Bluetooth range is about 20 ft, not 200.
Even 10 ft away Bluetooth only works for a while, then you have to take the batteries out to reset to get it to start working again.
The display turns off after a very short time, making it not very useful as a non-Bluetooth device.
Great idea, terrible implementation.

So doesn't meet the Apple standard for quality
Written by Bradley J from Minneapolis
May 30, 2012
When this contraption and app work everything is great. It's when it doesn't work that it really fails, which unfortunately is all too often.

I am thinking these points:
WiFi will have LONG range.
WIFI can be viewed by more devices, not only Apple series
I will use 2 pieces of A5 Li-ion batteries inside, plus recharging circuit and AC/DC adapter.
temp.-time graphing to be stored in your computer, and you can write a memo for each graphing.
High/Low temperature alarm
armored three wires probe other than 2 wires, more accurate and sturdy
Retail price of $60, free air mail

Your suggestions are appreciated before I walk the first step forward.

JOMANCHU
01-14-2013, 04:40 AM
You have my vote. Count me in for one.

tcoop4899
01-14-2013, 06:40 AM
I have the igrill and havent experienced any of those problems. However I will be watching this thread with anticipation. I am always up for a new and improved version of a toy that i enjoy.:wink:

woodpelletsmoker
01-14-2013, 08:44 AM
aslo the user can set sampling frequency, say 1 second, 10 second,30 second, 1 minute, just to save energy(battery). Or the user can turn off wifi to save energy (battery)

Gore
01-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Rugged (probes do not go bad when you close the lid on them or wash them)
low-power (long battery life)
easy-to-use (for us dummies)
does not disconnect
Decent range (I'd be happy with 10' and through one wall)

For some reason, I don't see all of these "features" in any package. I've read of these problems with every system out there and others will say the system is flawless. Seemingly, QC issues abound.

Toronto
01-14-2013, 09:27 AM
I think a lot of those problems are user related, especially when it comes to dealing with WIFI. If you are a total noobie and know nothing about WIFI it can be a very difficult task to overcome even when its a simple problem to fix.

woodpelletsmoker
01-14-2013, 09:37 AM
I think a lot of those problems are user related, especially when it comes to dealing with WIFI. If you are a total noobie and know nothing about WIFI it can be a very difficult task to overcome even when its a simple problem to fix.
I have good lessons fron the LION

Triple T BBQ
01-16-2013, 07:33 PM
I have good lessons fron the LION

I could comment here but won't. :tsk::tsk::tsk:

woodpelletsmoker
01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
I could comment here but won't. :tsk::tsk::tsk:
You simply check all WIFI signals in your computer, and double click Golden-Lion.
Then in your browse just type 168.192.1.15, you will minitor and control your smoker from your computer, iPhone, iPad.
Not any setting is needed in your computer.
Simply Plug and Play.

But to access the LION to Internet via Router, you must have IT knowledge.
Service man/Tuitor is needed to teach common cutomers to access the LION to Internet.
We will pay commission of $30 for each LION accessing to internet.

woodpelletsmoker
01-20-2013, 03:38 AM
One more question:
One says that igrill is battery eater. WIFI will be more a battery eater.
I am thinking to use 2 pieces of A5 battery, and with an AC/DC socket.
I can also design a BUILT-IN recharge circuit for Li-ion battery.
Usually if you buy Li-ion battery, you also buy a charging adapter.
Do you pay for a built-in recharge circuit or not, extra cost is $5.

woodpelletsmoker
01-20-2013, 03:54 AM
Answer to Gore;2328161

Rugged (probes do not go bad when you close the lid on them or wash them),
A: yes! wires are protected by stainless steel braided and silion. If iGrill probe cost is $2 in China, my probe will be $10 in China. iGrill is made in China too.

low-power (long battery life),
A:Higher-Power, but I will supply an AC/DC adapter, optional an built-in recharge circuit

A:Not any setting on computer is needed

does not disconnect
A:depand on distance

A: at least WIFI is better than iGrill bluetooth

For some reason, I don't see all of these "features" in any package. I've read of these problems with every system out there and others will say the system is flawless. Seemingly, QC issues abound.
A:hopefully my WIFI will be better than iGrill, and it is my goal, otherwise I will quit.

Sawdustguy
01-20-2013, 05:08 AM
Inspired by success of igrill, I was thinking to develop a WIFI thermometer.
I gave up later as I heared too many goods about igrill.
But today I read different stories, I am thinking again to develop WIFI thermometer.

No Bluetooth Range!
Written by Ron B from Kansas City
Oct 31, 2012
The Igrill works great if you are in a travel trailer and grilling outside your unit, but if your grilling in your garage and want to walk to the other end of your home and watch Telelvision, forget it, it won't happen, I could not be more than 40-50 feet away from my smoker using the Igrill, it has no blue tooth range. Sure, it works great if you have fresh batteries and no obstuctions, but if you put a wall between you and your grill the range is very limited. In summary the igrill eats batteries and it has very little range.

Goog idea - doesn't work
Written by Kim R from Cairns
Jul 28, 2012
I really liked the idea of this product, but found it really hard to connect to either my iPhone or. iPad. Used it twice before it brokdown -will be askiing for my money back!
Not recommended for real cooks.

Doesn't work as advertised
Written by Farrell B from Colorado Springs
Jul 16, 2012
The Bluetooth range is about 20 ft, not 200.
Even 10 ft away Bluetooth only works for a while, then you have to take the batteries out to reset to get it to start working again.
The display turns off after a very short time, making it not very useful as a non-Bluetooth device.
Great idea, terrible implementation.

So doesn't meet the Apple standard for quality
Written by Bradley J from Minneapolis
May 30, 2012
When this contraption and app work everything is great. It's when it doesn't work that it really fails, which unfortunately is all too often.

I am thinking these points:
WiFi will have LONG range.
WIFI can be viewed by more devices, not only Apple series
I will use 2 pieces of A5 Li-ion batteries inside, plus recharging circuit and AC/DC adapter.
temp.-time graphing to be stored in your computer, and you can write a memo for each graphing.
High/Low temperature alarm
armored three wires probe other than 2 wires, more accurate and sturdy
Retail price of $60, free air mail

Your suggestions are appreciated before I walk the first step forward.

This one is a lead pipe cinch and has been done before with cheap Arduino, wifi shield and one wire temp sensor.

woodpelletsmoker
01-20-2013, 05:20 AM
This one is a lead pipe cinch and has been done before with cheap Arduino, wifi shield and one wire temp sensor.
If not, why.
If yes, link and brand name, and price ?
It seems that I want to reinvent wheels.
By the way I will use 3 wires probe with braided stainless steel and silicon and is better and stronger than iGrill's probe

Amigatec
01-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Sounds like a good plan to me, you can count me in.

woodpelletsmoker
01-21-2013, 01:42 AM
This morning our team made official desicion to go ahead with this WIFI thermometer.
1.With WIFI instead of Bluethooth
2.two probes
3.three wires probe armoured with braided stainless steel and silicon. sturdy and strong, and can be washed by water. Real cost of our probe in China is more than $6, price of iGrill probe is $1
4.graphing temp.vs time
5.High/Low temperature alarm
6.Accumulated time or time countdown
7.built-in recharging circuit
8.AC/DC adapter
9. li-ion battery (you need to buy Li-ion battery locally. Battery is not allowed to send via post office). Common non-rechargable battery does not work.
10. retail price $78, free mail cost door to door.

Expect to be ready middle of March as all China will have long holiday around Feb.10 for chinese new year.
You can book now at $58 and free mail.
Offer of $58 will be ended after March 15th, 2013

Amigatec
01-21-2013, 04:05 AM
Where do I send the money?

woodpelletsmoker
01-21-2013, 05:07 AM
Where do I send the money?
I will take the following up post as booking
and I will send you payment request earlier March after our internal test.

So if anyone wants this WIFI thermometer at $58, please simply post a followup here.

HolySmoke
01-21-2013, 01:42 PM

So if anyone wants this WIFI thermometer at $58, please simply post a followup here.

I'll take one!

deepsouth
01-21-2013, 01:46 PM
count me in.

Big Ace
01-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Add me to your list.

Freddy j
01-22-2013, 03:29 AM
Rugged (probes do not go bad when you close the lid on them or wash them)
low-power (long battery life)
does not disconnect

I bought an I grill last wed, used it sat & Sunday and returned it to AT&T on Monday.

Biggest frustrations were disconnecting and less than 10' range (horrible).

Great idea poorly executed.

If you can solve these problems and use better probes, I would gladly pay the additional costs for better quality.

I use a wsm so I don't need temp control, but, given how long it takes to smoke meats, I do need to monitor my wsm from inside the house. Saving up to get a guru or stoker to solve this, but I'm very interested to see what you come up with first.

Please add me to the list

woodpelletsmoker
01-22-2013, 06:16 AM
If you really need long distance, you can add a wireless Router as relay station, which is around $10 to $15 in China.

Amigatec
01-22-2013, 06:18 AM
I used my iGrill yesterday, and it worked perfectly, I controlled it from my iPod.

pixcolor
01-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Put me down for one also.
Thanks

Mornin' Wood
01-22-2013, 05:42 PM
My iGrill works better with my iPad mini than with with my iPod Touch, but at $58, I'd like to try one of yours, Wang. I have hopes for an excellent product!

Midnight Smoke
01-22-2013, 08:03 PM
You simply check all WIFI signals in your computer, and double click Golden-Lion.
Then in your browse just type 168.192.1.15, you will minitor and control your smoker from your computer, iPhone, iPad.
Not any setting is needed in your computer.
Simply Plug and Play.

But to access the LION to Internet via Router, you must have IT knowledge.
Service man/Tuitor is needed to teach common cutomers to access the LION to Internet.
We will pay commission of $30 for each LION accessing to internet.

Please excuse my ignorance. Are you referring to the Mac OS, will your product work with Windows?

bcbbq
01-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Will this new wifi unit have the ability to control a fan or blower like your lion or tiger models shown at your ebay store?

woodpelletsmoker
01-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Will this new wifi unit have the ability to control a fan or blower like your lion or tiger models shown at your ebay store?
This new unit is just a thermometer, not thermostat.
It is much cheaper than LION

woodpelletsmoker
01-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Please excuse my ignorance. Are you referring to the Mac OS, will your product work with Windows?
Not like igrill

woodpelletsmoker
01-23-2013, 09:47 PM
I will call this new unit as Wgrill, We grill or WIFI grill

opp493
01-24-2013, 07:59 PM
WIFI thermometer count me in

woodpelletsmoker
01-25-2013, 03:00 AM
one more question, what color do you want, black or white

Freddy j
01-25-2013, 04:22 AM
one more question, what color do you want, black or white

Black or silver or whatever, just not white.

HolySmoke
01-25-2013, 05:15 AM
Black...

pixcolor
01-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Black

Scottacious
01-26-2013, 10:08 AM
I will take a black one also.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

daveinwestmont
01-27-2013, 05:03 PM
I want to make sure I understand your product before I offer to buy one from you.

1) It will have two heavy duty probes - What wire length?
2) Probes can be used for pit / food or food / food.
3) Thermometer will measure in F or C?
4) The range will be what?
5) It can be powered by either a provided ac to dc converter or a Li Ion battery which can be bought locally?
6) Will it connect via wifi to a Apple MAC mini, ipad or an Itouch 4G?
7) Will you sell extra probes? If so how much?
8 Have you thought about mutiple temp probes for various meats cooking at the same time? Like 3 or 4 meat probes?
9) Are the stainless steel temp probes straight or bent at a 90 degree angle. I would prefer straight as I have a port for probe entry into my PCC Meat Monster that is over 2" thick and I always have to straighten out the bent probes.

And the current cost is estimated at $58.00 US if preordered.

I like the idea and want one depending on the answers above.

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for coming up with the great ideas to make BBQ more fun!!!!

woodpelletsmoker
01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
1) It will have two heavy duty probes - What wire length?
A:three wires, armoured with braid stainless steel and silicon, 6' feet or 2 meters long.
(it is much strong and sturdy than igrill, can be water washed, and iGrill seems 2 wires)
One probe as standard.Second probe optional at extra cost of $10
2) Probes can be used for pit / food or food / food.
A:yes. For any use. It is just a thermometer.
3) Thermometer will measure in F or C?
A:C- F optional
4) The range will be what?
A:standard WIFI 2.4MHz. at least same as iGrill.
Indeed effective distance depends on your computer or iPhone.
I use big antenna outside.
( next generation will be wireless module of 433 instead of WIFI, which is 600' feet, but price is higher too)

5) It can be powered by either a provided ac to dc converter or a Li Ion battery which can be bought locally?
A:yes! AC/DC adapter is included. You need to buy Li Ion battery locally

6) Will it connect via wifi to a Apple MAC mini, ipad or an Itouch 4G?
A:yes!

7) Will you sell extra probes? If so how much?
A:$10

8 Have you thought about mutiple temp probes for various meats cooking at the same time? Like 3 or 4 meat probes?
A:present model has two sockets for probe.
next generation will have 5 sockets for probe. But this depends on market feedback

9) Are the stainless steel temp probes straight or bent at a 90 degree angle. I would prefer straight as I have a port for probe entry into my PCC Meat Monster that is over 2" thick and I always have to straighten out the bent probes.
A:straight

And the current cost is estimated at $58.00 US if preordered.
A:yes.

I like the idea and want one depending on the answers above.
A:welcome

daveinwestmont
01-27-2013, 10:32 PM
I would like one and an extra probe. Please sign me up.

woodpelletsmoker
01-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Simply increasing range on my thermometer does not work.
It needs bi-literal communication with your computer, iPhone,iPhone.
Indeed the effective distance is up to your devices.
I am also planning to develop another model by 433 wireless module.

Midnight Smoke
01-27-2013, 10:54 PM
As much as I would like to support this endeavor, I really need to read more thoroughly regarding the use, functionality and compatibility of the unit for the cooker I would want to use this on... FWIW

ChrisH
02-09-2013, 11:39 AM
As a somewhat happy of a gen4 golden lion, I am interested in one - will it have the same (terrible) interface of the lion?

Thanks

Ron_L
02-09-2013, 11:48 AM
I am interested but would like to see the unit and probes before committing (quality pictures are fine, unless you want to send me one :-D).

Have you thought about the ability to have two operating at the same location? (for monitoring four meats, for example).

woodpelletsmoker
02-09-2013, 07:47 PM
I am interested but would like to see the unit and probes before committing (quality pictures are fine, unless you want to send me one :-D).

Have you thought about the ability to have two operating at the same location? (for monitoring four meats, for example).

Upcoming Version 1 has 2 probes.
Version 2 may have 5 to 10 probes depending on market feedback

Amigatec
02-13-2013, 07:28 PM
This new unit is just a thermometer, not thermostat.
It is much cheaper than LION

What is this LION model?

woodpelletsmoker
02-13-2013, 09:15 PM
What is this LION model?
LION is a thermostat, a BBQ controller like Stoker or Guru CyberQ.
link: http://www.allchinas.com/probe

gigantor
02-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Will the WGrill have a PC or android app? Also, do you have a preview of what it looks like?

woodpelletsmoker
02-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Will the WGrill have a PC or android app? Also, do you have a preview of what it looks like?

WIFI is more flexible than bluetooth. wGrill can be viewed on any browser

criffaaa1
02-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Count me in. If it has minimum 2 food probes & 1 smoker temp probe. Thanks

sent from my Crifftastic $3

woodpelletsmoker
02-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Count me in. If it has minimum 2 food probes & 1 smoker temp probe. Thanks

Unfortunately it has TWO probes instead of three.
The two probe can monitor food, and/or pit.

Amigatec
02-17-2013, 04:43 AM
I would also like to see one with one with 4 or 5 probes and Cat 5 cable hookup.

woodpelletsmoker
02-17-2013, 05:43 AM
I would also like to see one with one with 4 or 5 probes and Cat 5 cable hookup.
I will add these on Version 2

Don Marco
02-17-2013, 06:01 AM

Im also interested ( I assume shipping to germany will be the same as to the US ?) and would like to pre-order a unit with extra probe. Most likely a couple more, have to ask some friends.

Pictures would be fine, though, and id also like to know if using multiple units at the same time would be possible. For example at competitions, there would most likely be a couple of units in use within each others wifi range.

Will the case be waterproof ?

DM

woodpelletsmoker
02-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Im also interested ( I assume shipping to germany will be the same as to the US ?) and would like to pre-order a unit with extra probe. Most likely a couple more, have to ask some friends.

Pictures would be fine, though, and id also like to know if using multiple units at the same time would be possible. For example at competitions, there would most likely be a couple of units in use within each others wifi range.

Will the case be waterproof ?

DM
You are first Germany.
I have Germany friend for 15 years and I visited Germany a few times.
I ask my friend whether he can sell BBQ products in Germany, he replys no, Germany do not like BBQ as States.

Different user can name his thermometer a different name, so there is no conflict even used together in competition

Freddy j
02-17-2013, 07:52 PM
How long until your product hits the market?

Ron_L
02-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Any word on pictures?

woodpelletsmoker
02-17-2013, 11:03 PM
How long until your product hits the market?
shall be ready before middle of March

woodpelletsmoker
02-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Any word on pictures?
not ready yet. please wait till middle of March

Amigatec
02-18-2013, 04:47 PM
It has to work better than the iGrill. I used mine again today. I had to remove the batteries once to get it to reset. I had multible disconnects and I was no farther than 30 feet away.

Pole D
02-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Different user can name his thermometer a different name, so there is no conflict even used together in competition

Two questions:

1. Will the thermometers be password protected or will others at a competition be able to see everyones temperatures?

2. So it has 2 inputs but only comes with 1 probe, correct? $68 for the unit and 2 probes delivered to the USA?

woodpelletsmoker
02-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Yes you will have your own user name and password
It has two inputs with 2 probes of PT100.

Please note most thermometer and thermostat use 2 wires probe.
I am using 3 wires probe.
In China cost of my probe is 4 to 5time higher

Pole D
02-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Yes you will have your own user name and password
It has two inputs with 2 probes of PT100.

Please note most thermometer and thermostat use 2 wires probe.
I am using 3 wires probe.
In China cost of my probe is 4 to 5time higher

Thanks for answering my questions. Unfortunately I'm still confused bout how many probes come with the unit because in an earlier post you said one probe.

When I order and pay $58 does my order come with 2 probes?

Thanks and sorry for being confused.

woodpelletsmoker
02-18-2013, 08:40 PM
$58 for thermometer plus 2 probes

Pole D
02-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Great! I'm in.

daveinwestmont
02-19-2013, 09:56 PM
$58 for thermometer plus 2 probes

That is great, as i said in a previous quote I'm in for the unit with two probes..

Can't wait to see it.

woodpelletsmoker
02-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Feb.10 is chinese new year. Most had 2 weeks of holiday.
Still some of sub-suppliers are in holiday.
I could not make it faster

DanReSQman
02-23-2013, 06:10 PM
I am in for one black, depending on ship date may take 2 or 3 more. Please post/send picture when have one.

-Dan

woodpelletsmoker
02-24-2013, 01:56 AM
I am in for one black, depending on ship date may take 2 or 3 more. Please post/send picture when have one.

-Dan

sorry. one ID one piece at $58

criffaaa1
02-24-2013, 03:01 AM
I'm still in I'd like a black one, also hope to get v2 that's gonna come with multiple probes.

woodpelletsmoker
02-24-2013, 06:05 AM
V2 is next generation and time to develop depends on feedback of v1

daveinwestmont
02-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Woodpellet - would it be possible to have a category 5 modular connector added on to the back of the unit so we could use a wireless router to boost the signal strenght and distance? Let us know if that is possible?

woodpelletsmoker
02-24-2013, 07:56 PM
V2 will add Cat5 and environmental temp. in addition to 5 probes.
But when or whether developing V2 depends on market feedback on V1

Amigatec
02-25-2013, 04:25 PM
I for sure would take one, it would be nice to combine this with Lion.

arne
03-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Interested to hear more. Middle part of March is soon enough. ;-)

DanReSQman
03-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Any updates on shipping date?

woodpelletsmoker
03-10-2013, 06:29 PM
sorry delayed to end of March.

Sherifftruman
03-13-2013, 09:20 PM
I would be interested.

rcbaughn
03-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Is there pictures? I'd like one I think, you are on top of customer service it seems which is a definite plus.

Pole D
03-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Any updates on this?

Pole D
04-01-2013, 01:06 PM
So has this died? I need to purchase a thermometer soon so I would like ot know i fthis will be available.

woodpelletsmoker
04-01-2013, 06:03 PM
3rd delay to middle of April

Hedgeley
04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
These things take time. I just joined brethren to see this thing thru. I will pay pal you funds when you tell me you can ship a functional unit. PM me if this a good thing.
Thanks
Hedgeley (new to smoking but not new to grilling):decision:

FMJ
04-01-2013, 09:56 PM
If you want web access you can always do a join.me to ipad within bluetooth distance then access from anywhere.

burnin butts
04-01-2013, 10:46 PM
I have an Igrill, I love it. I've had no issues with it. Also, it works on the android platform too. There's nothing wrong with wi-fi, but why fix something that's not broke?

woodpelletsmoker
04-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Fiat works good.
Ferrari has reason to live too.
iGrill is made in China.
iGrill uses 2 wires probe, cost is $1.20 in China
wGrill will use 3 wires probe, cost is $5.00 in China
iGrill uses bluetooth and it needs an ipad to access from anywhere.
wGrill uses WIFI, it can be accessed from anywhere if you have a wireless router which I am sure is available in most house.
wGrill can be used by most browsers say IE Chrome Firefox. not necessary to have specific model for certain operating system

woodpelletsmoker
04-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Someone says that iGrill is battery eater.
wGrill will use 2 li-ion batteries, with AC socket, and build-in charging circuit, and AC/DC adapter.

Freddy j
04-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Sounds good, any prototype pics or release date available?

DanReSQman
04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Any update? need a new temp monitor soon!!! when can i order?

Pole D
04-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Sounds like this is being delayed because he is too busy working on other stuff.

woodpelletsmoker
04-09-2013, 07:32 PM
ready.
in room testing.
expected to send out in one week

Amigatec
04-14-2013, 06:02 AM
Just tell me when it's ready.

DanReSQman
04-20-2013, 06:28 PM
I AM READY!! when can i order... i know we will have long shipping delay...

skrohn
05-08-2013, 08:46 AM
I ordered one of these from your e-bay store a couple of days ago. It sounds like a great invention and I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
Has anyone used one of these yet, and has anyone figured out how to get the thermometer to talk to a wireless router so you can check the temperature of your smoker from any range on your Iphone?
I'm also wondering what software people are using to graph the temperature of the meat and smoker?