PDA

View Full Version : BBQ in and around Atlanta...

Al Czervik
01-12-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm going to be in the Atlanta area next week (staying in Norcross) and will have a couple nights to eat at local establishments. Any recommendations for BBQ joints and tasty restaurant/sports bars would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

Al Czervik
01-13-2013, 09:19 AM
bump... :wink:

Gore
01-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Other than flying through Atlanta, the only time I ever spent there was driving on our way from New Mexico to Nova Scotia to pick up some Olympic T-shirts. Yeah, it was a little bit out of the way to buy a couple of T-shirts, but this was pre-internet. I bet the place has changed a bit in the last two decades. If I'd known a couple weeks back you'd be out on this coast, I would've gone to meet you.

Al Czervik
01-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Other than flying through Atlanta, the only time I ever spent there was driving on our way from New Mexico to Nova Scotia to pick up some Olympic T-shirts. Yeah, it was a little bit out of the way to buy a couple of T-shirts, but this was pre-internet. I bet the place has changed a bit in the last two decades. If I'd known a couple weeks back you'd be out on this coast, I would've gone to meet you.

You drove through Atlanta from New Mexico to go up to Nova Scotia to buy Olympic T-shirts? :shock: Wouldn't it have been easier to just buy the T-shirts in Atlanta? :crazy: And when were the Olympics held in Nova Scotia? :confused:

Gore
01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Yeah, talk about crazy. They only had one event that year too. :crazy:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kE_bz-iJCEU/TZZiryszjnI/AAAAAAAAAgU/BNaGbIJ9FME/s1600/3020497978-24022011180315.jpg

Al Czervik
01-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Ooooooh... I love curling! It's about the only Olympic event I could ever see myself being fit enough to do. :becky: Not to mention is looks like babes are involved. :thumb:

gtr
01-13-2013, 12:54 PM
I don't know about the BBQ around there, but check out The Varsity. If I remember correctly they have tasty gut bomb burgers, hot dogs, etc. I used to always go there whenever I was going through Atlanta. In fact, on my last night of, um, "partying" I was digesting a Varsity burger (we brought our own mushrooms as condiments) and fries as I was sitting in jail. :tsk:

I recall reading about some kind of legendary place to eat in Atlanta, but I think it's more of a soul food spot than BBQ - not sure though. I'll rack what's left of my brain and see if I can remember what the deal is with that.

***on edit***

I might be thinking about the Busy Bee Cafe (http://www.thebusybeecafe.com/en/), but I'm not at all sure about this. The Yelp reviews, for whatever they're worth, are legion and very positive. There are a few haters, but they all seem to be sissies.

Gore
01-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Would you recommend the food in jail?

gtr
01-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Would you recommend the food in jail?

That jail was in Cleveland, TN. Fortunately, I never was in one long enough to get a meal. I once got out right as the hot dogs and tater tots were being served and I was actually a little disappointed to be missing out.

pmanzi
01-13-2013, 03:29 PM
IMHO Community Q off of Clairmont is a must.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Gore
01-13-2013, 03:38 PM

I'd be willing to bet money it's better than the hot dogs and tater tots you'd be getting following gtr's advice. :thumb:

Al Czervik
01-13-2013, 05:55 PM

Thanks pmanzi... :mrgreen:

Al Czervik
01-13-2013, 05:56 PM
I'd be willing to bet money it's better than the hot dogs and tater tots you'd be getting following gtr's advice. :thumb:

Not to mention the cold cherry bendovers... :shock:

kw
01-14-2013, 11:43 AM
This might give you some ideas... http://gabarbecue.blogspot.com/

I have only been to Cafe Pig in Peachtree City, and it's now closed, and Sprayberry's in Newnan. However, since the grandkids are now down there, I am doing a bit more searching.

brownkw
01-14-2013, 06:25 PM
I can't personally vouch for it, but I've heard great things about Fox Bros. BBQ.

http://www.foxbrosbbq.com/

Gore
01-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Well, it's Monday evening. You should've visited at least two places by now. Where's the pron?

Al Czervik
01-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Wow... this cross country trip is quite the jaunt when you are coming from the West Coast. Got up at 2:30 PST am to 18 degrees, fresh snot on the roads and an early morning flight out of Eastern Washington. Into Denver at mid morning to a balmy 0 F and a massive multi-hour layover. A couple pops at lunch, too big of a club sammich and subsequent snoring on the flight to ATL :shock: Into town at 6 six-ish, rental cars and traffic jams and finally made it to the hotel. We ended up eating (and drinking) at the bar at the Northeast Atlanta Hilton and I must say it was quite tasty. I had some sort of prawn/scallop garlic pasta dish that I truly enjoyed and am sure will kill my classmates tomorrow morning... :heh: No pron for now except for what's on my breath... Updates to follow tomorrow. :thumb:

Gore
01-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Yeah, that always makes for one farkin' long day. You'd be better off just driving. Then you could at least leave at a reasonable hour. :tsk:

pike51
01-15-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm a little late to the party here but there are 2 places you must eat while in the area.

First is Antico Pizza near GA Tech.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/9/1479611/restaurant/Midtown/Antico-Pizza-Atlanta

Authentic pizza and quite frankly the best I have ever had! The ovens were brought accross the pond on boats from Italy.

The other is just good soul food, Gladys and Ron's Chicken and Waffles. Owned by Gladys Knight and her husband.

http://gladysandron.net/

Get the Midnight Train and the Spring Roll Sampler.

markdtn
01-16-2013, 08:40 AM
We had some of this catered in here once and it was good. Never been to the store, but want to.

http://www.beavercreekbbq.net/

Gore
01-16-2013, 10:22 AM
I can't believe Al didn't eat anything yesterday. :shock:

Rich Parker
01-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Bub-Ba-Q restaurants North of Atlanta have some of the best restaurant BBQ I have ever had.
http://bub-ba-q.com/

hogzgonewild
01-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Al, One of my favorites in the Rosewell area is Swallow in the Hollow. It's kind of a hipster place (with folk music and PBR) but they have great smoked wings and ribs.

I also like Pig and Chick and if you can make it up to Woodstock, Bub-Ba-Q's is a great place.

Al Czervik
01-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions... It turns out the factory we are here training at had already figured out our dining arrangements... :tsk: Last night we ate at Taco Mac. Pretty much reminded me of Chili's, but with a hundred bazillion different types of beer. Tonight I guess we are headed to someplace called Norcross Station Cafe? Oh well...

Gore
01-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Ooooo, taco mac. Is that like macaroni and cheese in a taco shell or is it a double layer taco, like a Big Mac?

Al Czervik
01-17-2013, 06:36 AM
Ooooo, taco mac. Is that like macaroni and cheese in a taco shell or is it a double layer taco, like a Big Mac?

Yes... :caked:

Gore
01-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Yes... :caked:

Does that mean you ate cake for dinner last night? :shock:

pike51
01-17-2013, 11:01 AM
I like Taco Mac and make it a point to go there anytime I'm in Atlanta. It's nothing too special, but it's fun and the beer selection is unreal.

If you get some free time, I suggest you find a Tilted Kilt. You can thank me later!

WineMaster
01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Was in Atlanta a few years back and went to a Q-Joint next to a Harley Dealership. Cant remember the name but it is where I was turned onto Brunswick stew. Anyone know that place?

Gore
01-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Was in Atlanta a few years back and went to a Q-Joint next to a Harley Dealership. Cant remember the name but it is where I was turned onto Brunswick stew. Anyone know that place?

Fred's BBQ?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=atlanta+harley+&hl=en&ll=33.79156,-84.628147&spn=0.006375,0.011362&sll=33.787708,-84.398346&sspn=0.40803,0.727158&hq=atlanta+harley&t=m&z=17

Al Czervik
01-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Does that mean you ate cake for dinner last night? :shock:

As a matter of fact... I didn't. I ended up having a "Cajun" pasta dish with schwimp, andouille sausage and chicken that was marginal at best. My FIL (RIP) was pure CA (his term to describe himself-not mine) and that man knew how to cook Cajun. I don't know why I even bother to order Cajun dishes at restaurants... :tsk:

I like Taco Mac and make it a point to go there anytime I'm in Atlanta. It's nothing too special, but it's fun and the beer selection is unreal.

I heard that! There were so many, I had a hard time deciding. I've never been to a place that had so many beers they had to alphabetize them in small print on a four page menu... :shock:

Gore
01-19-2013, 11:20 AM
As a matter of fact... I didn't. I ended up having a "Cajun" pasta dish with schwimp, andouille sausage and chicken that was marginal at best. My FIL (RIP) was pure CA (his term to describe himself-not mine) and that man knew how to cook Cajun. I don't know why I even bother to order Cajun dishes at restaurants... :tsk:

Know what you mean. I just don't order Italian. No matter how rave the reviews, it is never as good as what I grew up with and almost always a disappointment. I always dread when the consensus is to "go to an Italian restaurant."

Gore
01-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Hey, when are you going to start posting the pics of all these wonderful things you've tried? :noidea:

Al Czervik
01-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Hey, when are you going to start posting the pics of all these wonderful things you've tried? :noidea:

I'll try to do better on my next trip. I'm headed to Dallas in a couple weeks and will give it a shot then.

---k---
01-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Bub-Ba-Q restaurants North of Atlanta have some of the best restaurant BBQ I have ever had.
http://bub-ba-q.com/

I'm headed to Atlanta tomorrow and have a car. I'll have to check this out.

---k---
01-21-2013, 07:02 PM
I went to Buh-ba-q tonight. I ordered pork, ribs, and brisket. I asked the server if the brisket was flat or point. He was like huh? I said is the lean, or fatty brisket. Still huh? I explained that there are two types of brisket. He said that he had worked there for 6 years and never heard that. Uh oh!

Over all, above average Q. My expectations might have been too high, hoping for competition level. Not quite. Not my style, either. Pork was chopped, I prefer pulled. Huge helping though! Brisket had good flavor, but not the pepper I like. It was flat btw. Ribs were pretty good. Falling off the bone though.

Its hard to give a fair review once you do your own Q.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk