PDA

View Full Version : what is your greatest BBQ accomplishment?

chromestacks
01-04-2013, 08:03 AM
We are talking in competition bbq. What is your greatest accomplishment? how long did you compete before you got there? What is the next thing you want to accomplish in the BBQ world? How far do you want to or are you willing to take it?

As for us, our first accomplishment was making it all the way through a KCBS contest with out getting DQ'd! The next was actually placing (not in the same contest). Our latest was getting in the top 10 on 3 of four catagories at the same contest! My next goal is to win GC at a contast. If I were independantly wealthy, I would open a bbq chain, YES, I love Que that much!

this should be an interesting conversation and I look forward to hearing from you

NickyG
01-04-2013, 08:34 AM
This being my first year of comp BBQ (4 contests) not finishing last in any category and breaking the top half in most of my entries was good enough for me. This year I hope to bump up the expectations.

timzcardz
01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Without a doubt, the quality time spent with my teenage son!

Come March 1, I am am picking him up at college for the start of his mid-winter break and we are shuffling off to Buffalo to take Chris Hart's BBQ class. It should be yet another great weekend spent together.

Yeah, we get some trophies and ribbons including taking first place in ribs in a contest that Chris Hart GC'ed, but they all pale in comparison.

spicewine
01-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Having 6 BBQ Sauces and Spices on the market makes me the most proud of my efforts and having alot of winning cooks useing them in comps as well.

tnjimbob
01-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Second comp, first call - 1st place chicken. :mrgreen:

Also helped a couple of friends get a third place rib call and reserve grand in a recent comp. I guess that's why I am cooking with them this year.

The most satisfying and yet most humbling BBQ experience I have is cooking for 12 homeless men from the local Rescue Mission at our church every year. I don't do this cook for accolades, but getting a standing ovation and many compliments and handshakes reminds me of the good we can do for others with our talents.

Lake Dogs
01-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Greatest was my 3rd comp; top 5 in every category and still only RGC'd, but by under 1/10th of a point total.

Last comp was probably my second favorite, no RGC or GC, but I walked in everything (except ribs) including every ancillary (I think there were 9 ancillaries), 3 first places in them, 3 second places... Tied for 4th in pulled pork, but more importantly beat out many previous Memphis In May GC's and category winners... (ie. it was probably the toughest top-to-bottom field I'd ever competed in/with, and tied for 4th). It was a good day.

As a judge, judging Memphis In May was a real joy, but my greatest "accomplishment" was overcoming the overwhelming urge to puke when I was able to gnaw a bite off of a rib one time. I was the only judge at the table either stupid enough or dedicated enough to take those ribs and place them in my mouth. Been there, done that 1 time; never again. Lets just say they were BAD, looked horrendous, smelled almost as bad as they looked, and the taste was, well, it was a pure "spitter". I learned that day that some people have no shame and will turn-in anything...

jbrink01
01-04-2013, 11:12 AM
There are 2 questions here. Purely from a contest standpoint, there have been many, but the singular #1? 1st Place Pork at the AR.

On a personal level? Being on a first name basis with some really great cooks, and knowing which "Big Name BBQ People are actually jerks (there aren't many) masquerading as cooks and not worth my time.

fnbish
01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
I haven't burned down my or anyone else's cook site :becky:..........yet:icon_blush:.

Ron_L
01-04-2013, 11:35 AM
As Jeff said, there are a couple of way to look at this.

Overall I think our biggest "accomplishment" is all of the great friends that we have made through competitions and the Brethren! At every comp we enjoy catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. The awards are cool, but BBQ people are the best!

From an awards point of view I think the accomplishment that means the most to us is taking first place ribs, first place brisket, the Land of Lincoln award for the top Illinois team and RGC at the Illinois State BBQ Championship in Shannon, IL in 2009. What made this special for us first of all is that it was at Shannon, which was one of the oldest competitions anywhere and always brings in a very prestigious field, and second, we cooked next to our first sponsor and great friend, Todd Johns from Plowboys BBQ. Great memories!

ParkAvenue_2
01-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Without a doubt, the quality time spent with my teenage son!

Come March 1, I am am picking him up at college for the start of his mid-winter break and we are shuffling off to Buffalo to take Chris Hart's BBQ class. It should be yet another great weekend spent together.

Yeah, we get some trophies and ribbons including taking first place in ribs in a contest that Chris Hart GC'ed, but they all pale in comparison.

I think the best answer has already been logged here. :clap:

Heath Hall
01-04-2013, 11:40 AM
I think our greatest competition accomplishment was winning the Perdue National Chicken Championship at the 2011 Safeway National Capital Barbecue Contest. Perdue provided each team with 4 very small whole chickens to use. After butchering them down we had 7 useable thighs and managed to get 6 beautiful thighs cooked and the 1st place chicken call!

A close second was our 6th place call in Chicken at the American Royal Open in 2011 and our 10th place call in Brisket at the American Royal Invitational in 2011.

Moving forward our goal is to finish in the top 25 in TOY standings.

cmohr74
01-04-2013, 11:54 AM
I have two overall that are similar personal and competition.

Personal, I was competing up at Kenosha, WI Grill Games. This was my second solo competition in a solid, solid field of competitiors. My wife and kids came up to visit and stay through awards. I asked my 4 year old daughter that if she heard daddys name called, would she like to go up on stage with me. I head my name called for Chicken and my daughter ran through the crowd before I could move, up on stage, and tapped the moderator to ask her for daddy's trophy. She was so proud of her daddy. She has become my biggest fan.

Competition, Sept. 2011 I walked around Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ trying to figure out if I wanted to get into competition BBQ or not when BillM (Head's Red BBQ) told me to grab a chair and ask questions. I decided the following year to compete in the field of 46 competitiors and won 1st place.

Bubba
01-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Winning the American Royal in 2007 and finishing tied for 4th in 2011 are my most notable overall awards. But I like helping people get calls with my help more than anything.

Wampus
01-04-2013, 11:55 AM
At the end of last season, we were technically done with the comps we'd said we were going to do, but we just didn't want to be done. So we decided to drive south from Indiana to Decatur, AL and do the biggest competition we'd ever done. We ended up getting 4th overall with a 4th place chicken call and a 1st place call in pork. When we got that winning call in pork we couldn't have been more pumped. People were looking at us as we walked up with a look on their face like, "Who the HECK are these guys?!"

That was pretty huge for us to go that far from home, not knowing what regional differences there might be, seeing 78 other teams (which included some real top notch world championship teams) and coming away with 4th place.

Candy Sue
01-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Made it into the black one year! That was huge, really. Love it, but it's a very expensive endeavor.

New goal is to complete my master judge requirement. Problem is if I'm at a contest, I'd druther be cooking than eating. I don't think I'll have to cook with a team though!

JD McGee
01-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Throwing away all the temp probes and learning to cook by feel...:thumbup:
Except for chicken...we stick everyone of those suckers...lol!
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Sawdustguy
01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Getting disqualified without breaking a single rule on our chicken turn-in and yes we make turn-in with plenty of time to spare.

DawgPhan
01-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Getting disqualified without breaking a single rule on our chicken turn-in and yes we make turn-in with plenty of time to spare.

but it does make for a really tasty chicken thigh at the tailgate.

mobow
01-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Any call is a good feeling. Best one to date for us is 12th place chicken at the AR. Hope to hear our name for Grand Champ one of these days.

Every contest is a great contest for spending time with wife and other family members and friends. Keith

darkdrako
01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Placing 4th in chicken at my first competition. Can't wait to do better this year and attend every competition possible with the same enthusiasm.

wjwheeler
01-04-2013, 04:24 PM
My Pitmaster slept in one morning and I cooked our brisket upside down and scored a 180 - that was good, but....
Our 40th anniversay - 2012 Ameila Island - my wife and I cooked as Chicken Butt BBQ. It was the first competition on our Jambo (only the second time we cooked on it) and the first time we cooked by ourselves. We had a 5th ribs, 6th brisket and 5th overall out of 41 teams.
It wasn't winning the Jack or the Royal but it was a great experience!

Big Mike
01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
As far as competition is concerned, getting a GC in my 5th competition. That allowed me to go to the Jack that year where I was able to get a 3rd place call in Chicken.

Outside of competition; Our local guard unit was heading to Afghanistan so a friend and I cooked a sendoff picnic for them and their families right before they deployed(about 800 people total)

Pappy Q
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
It hasn't happened yet, my greatest is still to come.

Big Poppa
01-04-2013, 06:05 PM
meeting Scottie Johnson.

BBQ_Mayor
01-04-2013, 06:09 PM
I have been cooking contests for many, many years and have had a lot of awards and crowning achievements along the way only missing one illusive award, the GC. The last couple of years I have focused solely on hitting that GC and lost touch of what BBQ is about.
To be honest, it wasn’t all that much fun. I needed a re-boot of sorts at the end of this year to purge my system of that insane desire. I say insane because I was not remembering why I started BBQ’ing in the first place.
Having a great time with friends and making new ones. That’s what it’s all about. Awards are an object that sets on the self and collects dust. Friends are what have lasted these many years. The BBQ Family is the best and it grows larger every year.

Red Valley BBQ
01-04-2013, 06:12 PM
So far, taking 5th place in chicken at The Jack tops my list so far.

Looking to the future, the goal is to win a GC for my team.

Nature Boy
01-04-2013, 06:20 PM
I once cooked BBQ at a Holiday Inn Express! Seriously, cool question.

I think for Dizzy Pig, this year may have been our biggest accomplishment. in 2005 and 2006 we won 8 or 9 grands just doing 10 contests a year. It was a sweet time. But it has been tough since then (hats off to teams like 3Eyz who are nailing it it a very tough time).

Anyways, this year, for the first time in ten years, we did well in both the Royal Open and the Invitational. Chicken calls both days, and overall scores very nice. I'm feeling that may be our coolest accomplishment.

How far do we want to take it??? We'd be happy to stay in the mix. No longer expecting multiple grands per year, but would make me complete just to be able to stay in the game. Tough job these days!

Cheers, and hope to see a bunch of yall on the trail this year.
Chris

Pitmaster T
01-04-2013, 06:26 PM
I invented the drum smoker... since everything since is not a drum smoker.... even though its a drum and it smokes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E4KJQ1dN-W4

Coz
01-04-2013, 07:26 PM
I think it was easier to win the first GC then it the ones since. Biggest accomplishment will be when one of the BBQ buddies I have talked into building their own cookers wins on it .

daveinwestmont
01-04-2013, 08:07 PM
In 2011 I cooked Westmont's amateur rib comp agaist a field of roughly 40 teams. It was the second time I had ever cooked comps egged on by my kids. As they were calling the top ten they had finished the top 9 with first to be called and I looked over to my daughter and she looked back at me and said "you've got this dad", I was then called for the win. The win felt great but not half as good as knowing the support I had from my family and freinds that all stood in the rain to hear the results.

The following weekend I cooked my first pro comp in Willowbrook, Il. I was certainly over my head but had great support and guidence from my buddie Scottie. I had 3 calls with a 1st in ribs. 3rd place overall!!! I was truley taken back by that experience also. I had so many teams come by during that event and offer up support as many new it was my first event. Truely a great group of people.

motoeric
01-04-2013, 08:11 PM
As an organizer the things I'm proudest of are 1) helping to grow the competition BBQ scene on Long Island, 2) Building the relationships that I have that have transcended BBQ with competitors and judges, 3) being able to help the various charities that we have worked with through the events.

As a competitor, the things that I'm happiest about are spending the time with family at events. I compete with my sister and my niece and we have my parents dropping by, my cousins stopping in, my BiL coming by and we have lots of friends join us. It really sounds corny, but the concern I have over placing is minimal compared to watching my niece carefully prep the meat or how excited she gets if we are lucky enough to get a call or just make something we are happy with.

Corny, but truthful.

Eric

Scottie
01-04-2013, 10:32 PM
meeting Scottie Johnson.

Suck up

Crash
01-05-2013, 02:34 AM
Luckiest accomplishment was taking 1st in ribs in the last KCBS competition in 2009 over the top 3 teams in the USA and a handful of top 50 teams. It took us about two years to "accomplish" that.

As for what our next goal is, well that would be to promote and support sanctioned BBQ competitions here in the state of Hawaii.

New Pal Frank
01-05-2013, 04:42 AM
2012 was my rookie year and cooking with my wife was quality time for us to get away and spend time with friends. ( we have been CBJ's for 2 years )

Most astonishing moment in my BBQ life was in Liberty IN, our first pro contest and we hear our name called THREE times. 6th Pork, 3rd Brisket and 7th over all out of 31 teams.

We did 8 contests and heard our name called 13 times :) with a 5th in Chicken,1st in Ribs 9th in Brisket and 3rd over all at Franklin IN and also a first in Chicken at The Jim Beam Classic in Springfeild KY.

This whole season, we will remember well.

New friendsips made and old ones forged deeper. BBQ people are some of the greatest people in the world!!!!!

Think I'm gonna spend a little time with Scottie Johnson also.

Smokin' Bad Habit
01-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Getting kicked out of the American royal 2011 after only being there 6 hours for boosting a security guards golf cart, then booking down to fayetville AR. And winning $650...woot!

Meat Man
01-05-2013, 08:03 AM
This was our first year, and I was thrilled to get a GC, but that's not our greatest accomplishment. All the great folks we have met and friends we have made, having a great time with my family. Finding out that I'm not the only one crazy about BBQ.

MattG
01-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Without a doubt its enjoyment that I have received from teaching my kids. When my son (8) asked me for smoker for Christmas. And my little girl (6) asked for a grill. To cook with them and go to competitions with them, but most of all when we walked at Pigs and Peaches Backyard and the whole family was there. Look at the PRIDE in those kids. Man that's whats its all about for me.:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu288/MattG902/IMG_3699.jpg

rocksbarbque
01-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Seeing my Son in law Kenny, My coworker and good friend Kevin and my Brother Scott catch the passion I have for BBQ was very kewl. Watching them pass this passion to others makes me know that BBQ nation is strong and growing. Did I say I love everything Barbecue?

rolfejr
01-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Having my wife tell me how much fun this BBQ thing is and have her excited about our team and the next contest.

Then surprise me with a trip to the cooking school in March.

What a women!

kenthanson
01-05-2013, 01:29 PM
In my first competition my team finished with the "best" worst position, if that makes any sense. Finished sixth with our worse being an 8th in chicken and every other team finished worse than 8th any one category.

sasa44
01-05-2013, 04:38 PM
My greatest BBQ accomplishment was my first year of competing. Keep in mind this is only my second year doing this.

We were taking our Oldest son to Fort Bliss and decided to do a BBQ competition with him before he shipped out to Iraq. Well short story we won our 1st GC with him there and helping during the entire cook. Later, we were told this comp was an automatic to the "JACK!" We made the trip to Lynchburg and place 4th in Pork at the JACK. WOW, I was on cloud nine to be at the JACK with such great talented teams and then to actually get a call was amazing. My Dad came up from South Carolina and shared the experience with me and my Family, it truly was a game changer for me.

Larry
MAD DAWGZ BBQ

NS Mike D
01-05-2013, 05:32 PM
As an organizer the things I'm proudest of are 1) helping to grow the competition BBQ scene on Long Island, 2) Building the relationships that I have that have transcended BBQ with competitors and judges, 3) being able to help the various charities that we have worked with through the events.

As a competitor, the things that I'm happiest about are spending the time with family at events. I compete with my sister and my niece and we have my parents dropping by, my cousins stopping in, my BiL coming by and we have lots of friends join us. It really sounds corny, but the concern I have over placing is minimal compared to watching my niece carefully prep the meat or how excited she gets if we are lucky enough to get a call or just make something we are happy with.

Corny, but truthful.

Eric

Cranking out the thousands of meals with the fellow brethren as part of Operation BBQ Relief after Sandy, tops the list of a rookie year that seemed to look like a lifetime of accomplishments.

Always a pleasure to see you and your family at these events.

CBQ
01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
This is an easy one.

It took us 5 years, and close to 50 contests to hit our first GC at the end of 2011. We then turned around and got two more at the local and regional for Sam's. This turned into an epic 1 month road trip hitting the Royal, Sam's National, and The Jack - and getting calls at all three. (OK, the Jack call was for best booth...but take 'em where you get 'em :becky:)

It was a great experience, and we got there after a lot of ups and downs. We learned a lot about teamwork along the way, and made a lot of friends. It's the pinnacle of our BBQ journey so far, and looking forward to see where it goes next.

djqualls
01-05-2013, 08:46 PM
I suppose all of these are tied for first.....

Cooking 21 Contests in our first serious Season with my wife and we're still Married
Meeting a whole new group of people who have offered us the proverbial the shirt off of their backs to help and have become friends in the process
A GC in this first Year
A 180 Brisket!
Cooking the Royal and not finishing DAL

Next Up,
Meeting Scottie Johnson,

My Next Goal.
Have a visit and a Nip with the New King, Big Poppa!

Big Poppa
01-05-2013, 09:34 PM
,ahahahahahahahadj. Great one. I'll have a nip of pelligrino. Doesn't meeting Scottie Johnson sound like a movie title?

djqualls
01-05-2013, 10:45 PM
I think it's a movie about the life and times of a closet Packer's fan!

Harbormaster
01-05-2013, 10:47 PM
For me it was developing enough confidence (with encouragement from some great Brethren friends) to enter my first comp. 6th in pork and 5th in brisket at that comp just fueled the fire.

First place brisket in 2011 at Warrens, WI was pretty dang cool too!

motoeric
01-05-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm hoping that in January, 2014 that I'll be able to say I met Scottie Johnson.

Eric

Alexa RnQ
01-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Meh, I've met Scottie Johnson. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

Pappy Q
01-06-2013, 05:42 AM
Come to think of it I've met Scottie Johnson too....so that would be it.

Hawg Father of Seoul
01-06-2013, 07:24 AM
This is an easy one.

It took us 5 years, and close to 50 contests to hit our first GC at the end of 2011. We then turned around and got two more at the local and regional for Sam's. This turned into an epic 1 month road trip hitting the Royal, Sam's National, and The Jack - and getting calls at all three. (OK, the Jack call was for best booth...but take 'em where you get 'em :becky:)

It was a great experience, and we got there after a lot of ups and downs. We learned a lot about teamwork along the way, and made a lot of friends. It's the pinnacle of our BBQ journey so far, and looking forward to see where it goes next.

It was good to meet you at the Sam's National. We could tell you were having the time of your life.

Scottie
01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
,ahahahahahahahadj. Great one. I'll have a nip of pelligrino. Doesn't meeting Scottie Johnson sound like a movie title?

Can it be an action movie? With hot chicks?

Basted moral support guy
01-06-2013, 08:12 PM
I think my favorite is our team getting three calls and placing 7th out of 55ish teams at our very first competition, which we did on short notice with a borrowed smoker that we had never cooked on before.

Also, getting a 1st in ribs on our cook's brand new smoker with no test runs was pretty awesome.

ModelMaker
01-06-2013, 08:22 PM
I Believe I'm one of the few pitmasters that have walked in every contest we've entered!
Ed

Sawdustguy
01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
but it does make for a really tasty chicken thigh at the tailgate.

Yes it did. We received an apology from the reps in the end for their mistake. It didn't cost any money because we finished 10th overall. Even had we gotten a good score we would not have finished in the money (top 3). We made our famous Polock non fried, bbq fried chicken (high temp egg washed skin smoked chicken)

jmoney7269
01-06-2013, 11:27 PM
1st ribs, 1st chefs choice, 3rd chicken and 9th brisket with 108 entries
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac174/justinmargist/34ee006f.jpg

New Pal Frank
01-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Oh. And next accomplishment on the BBQ bucket list is meeting Scottie Johnson next month in Chi-town.

Jaskew82
01-07-2013, 01:10 PM
For me so far it has been only 2 Sam's Club competitions in my career and finished:

Local:3 place ribs; 1st place pork butt and 3rd place overall
Regional: 1st place chicken

Haven't done another competition since the regional event last year but hope to do more soon. This year, unfortunately, might be out as I might have a little BBQ Pitmaster on the way. If that happens, my next goal will be to do a competition with him/her.

Fatback Joe
01-07-2013, 01:31 PM
GC with my son cooking with me on Father's Day weekend last year. It was nice since as soon as it was announced, he said "now I can tell her to shut up!!" The previous year I GC'd with just my daughter with me and apparently she had been telling him that I can't win with him around. LOL

Farking kids.

Pelkster
01-07-2013, 01:48 PM
I've competed in 9 competitions over teh pat two years. I would say that my greatest accomplishment competing was getting a GC and a 1st place ribs in my 9th comp would be it. Getting the email saying that I've been invited to the 2013 AR Invitational was also pretty darn cool (too bad I can't find the email now, hrmmmm).

Like so many others have previously said, there is nothing greater than being accpeted into a community with open arms where a complete stranger will literally give you the shirt off his back. I've met so many wonderful people so far, and there are still countless more to make acquaintences with. Can't wait for 2013!

MattCom
01-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Finding teamates that work like farking machines and party like the world is ending tomorrow. :thumb:

boogiesnap
01-07-2013, 04:48 PM
For me so far it has been only 2 Sam's Club competitions in my career and finished:

Local:3 place ribs; 1st place pork butt and 3rd place overall
Regional: 1st place chicken

Haven't done another competition since the regional event last year but hope to do more soon. This year, unfortunately, might be out as I might have a little BBQ Pitmaster on the way. If that happens, my next goal will be to do a competition with him/her.

congrats!!!

boogiesnap
01-07-2013, 04:49 PM
GC with my son cooking with me on Father's Day weekend last year. It was nice since as soon as it was announced, he said "now I can tell her to shut up!!" The previous year I GC'd with just my daughter with me and apparently she had been telling him that I can't win with him around. LOL

Farking kids.

yeah, that was awesome. i unfortunately missed the one with your daughter though, i think.

boogiesnap
01-07-2013, 04:52 PM
for me it's the people i've met along the way, blah, blah, blah....but it's true.

as far as accolades, it's every time i get an entire cooksite into my xterra the night before a comp.

an RGC after 3 or 4 events was icing quickly followed by my greatest failure so far, middle of the pack every contest since.

Smokenstein & monster crew
01-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Getting my wife to let me to do this :wink:

scm1226
01-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Getting first place ribs and then following that up with DAL ribs in the following contest. It's a crazy world we live in.

hogzgonewild
01-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Perfect 180 in chicken and Top Ten's for the GBC Season in Chicken and Pork!

boogiesnap
01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Getting my wife to let me to do this :wink:

now THAT is farkin funny!

Cue's Your Daddy
01-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Can it be an action movie? With hot chicks?

Would you do your own stunts or would you get a body double......

And i met Scottie Johnson

Coz
01-08-2013, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=Cue's Your Daddy;2321886]Would you do your own stunts or would you get a body double......

and almost I say almost would watch it if the chick from Stagecoach pics past was in it !

BKBBQ
01-08-2013, 08:28 PM
First place chicken in two different states ky and ga. On the same weekend i believe i am the only team to do that in kcbs. My first fba gc was an epic adventure.me and rub partied like rock stars.

tyotrain
01-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Watching my nephew that I was teaching to cook take first place in chicken and a 2nd overall in the youth division at lake placid I love BBQ festival. It was awesome 74333

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Muzzlebrake
01-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Watching my nephew that I was teaching to cook take first place in chicken and a 2nd overall in the youth division at lake placid I love BBQ festival. It was awesome 74333

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

SID VICIOUS!!!!!

:rockon:

Podge
01-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Having at least one GC per year since 2007.. and having Scottie Johnson on speed dial!

Scottie
01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Having at least one GC per year since 2007.. and having Scottie Johnson on speed dial!

Yeah buddy!

You got me thinking. CSC has qualified for 8 Jack draws in a row. What does that mean? No clue, other than we only get in the jack with an auto.... :shock:

Teamfour
01-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Not poisoning anyone.

JS-TX
01-10-2013, 09:33 AM
I may have a few.
Getting my 1st ever rib call for 2nd place, with a recipe that I made up on the fly. It was enough to get me my 1st ever GC in the 5 comps I've done :grin:

Having your kids paint pictures at school that include me and them BBQing outside :grin:
My oldest had to use the word patience in a sentence at school. She said:
My daddy says you have to be patient with BBQ. :) - Love that one. :biggrin1:

Jeff_in_KC
01-10-2013, 01:13 PM
I have five that stand out, in no particular order:

1. Watching my daughter win her first Kids Q in 2006
2. Watching my daughter take 8th overall out of over 100 ADULTS in a wing competition at the Great American BBQ in 2009.
3. Getting perfect score pins two weeks in a row (Huron, SD - Pork and Raytown, MO - Chicken) in 2010.
4. Getting to compete in The Jack, getting two top ten calls and finishing 11th overall in 2011.
5. The whole experience it took to finish 5th overall in the 2010 KCBS Team of the Year race.

This list is why I'm rarely competing anymore. The BBQ Bucket List has been checked off pretty good.

Jaskew82
01-10-2013, 02:45 PM
for me it's the people i've met along the way, blah, blah, blah....but it's true.

as far as accolades, it's every time i get an entire cooksite into my xterra the night before a comp.

an RGC after 3 or 4 events was icing quickly followed by my greatest failure so far, middle of the pack every contest since.

I have seen the ENTIRE cooksite packed into the xterra and that truly is an accomplishment. You practically need a degree in advanced engineering to pull it off!

boogiesnap
01-10-2013, 02:49 PM
I have seen the ENTIRE cooksite packed into the xterra and that truly is an accomplishment. You practically need a degree in advanced engineering to pull it off!

thanks, it took some practice. :crazy:

now, if only i could get a degree in BBQ so i could fair better with all that junk i pack. :twitch:

Is It Ready Yet?
01-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Greatest moment was winning our first competition we ever entered (amature division - Plant City) and getting first place in the "anything butt" category in Lakeland 2009. Jamie Oliver, cooking with Bubba Grills took second.

Disconnect
01-19-2013, 07:25 PM
I have to agree about the community. That is my favorite part and we've been privileged to meet so many good people.

Outside of that, my greatest accomplishment is my brisket. No walks yet but 17th out of 113 at salisbury for our 2nd comp. (Until then, I had spent over 10 years perfecting the all-beef patio brick. Even now practices are 50/50 but competitions always come out great. Even when it is pulled brisket.. It is good to have forgiving judges sometimes :becky:)

KC_Bobby
01-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Meeting and sharing beers with people from coast to coast and other countries.

Bentley
01-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Cooking 3 or 4 times for the Marines at 29 Palms in CA desert. One year we cooked 6 Tons of meat, served 23,000 plates. Hot as the Dickens, 113 one year...but to this day, I can still remember the hair on the back of my neck tingling and the sense of Pride in our country I felt when they raised the Flag and you saw those Men & Woman snap to attention, not something I will soon forget!

Pappy Q
01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Not being selected to be on BBQ Pitmasters KY episode where they would have forced me to to do something with a sheep that should only be done in private

rib runners
01-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Does Bernie know about your dark side?:shock:

BigBill
01-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Greatest moment for me has to be my first ever competition last year. I had thought about and practiced for years and finally took the plunge. Got 11th place ribs out of 26 teams just to prove to myself I could do it. That led me into all the other comps I did in 2012 and a small shelf full of ribbons and trophies. Not to mention, all the great people I have met on the way!!!

silverfinger
01-22-2013, 12:49 AM
You guys our incredible!!!
Not even close to that!!!
One day!!!