PDA

View Full Version : Are cabinet smokers the new trend in competitions?

GrillsGoneWild
01-03-2013, 08:53 PM
I was having a discussion with a BBQ buddy today and his opinion is he is seeing more cabinet smokers on the competition trail. He thinks that the cabinets will take over the percentage of smokers versus the traditional stick burners in competitions within a couple of years. What says the brethren?

RangerJ
01-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Jamie Geer is about 9 months out for a new pit and Rich at Gator is about 6, so someone is ordering offsets.

I don't know that any one style will ever "overtake" another. Where do you put WSM's or Drums or Pellet smokers? Walking around a KCBS competition I see the entire gamut of cookers.

DawgPhan
01-03-2013, 09:26 PM
I guess this is probably a very regional conversation. Seems like around here everyone has some sort of cabinet style cooker.

Rub
01-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Southeast has been loaded with them for 5 years. I'm working on changing that trend. ;)

trufunk
01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
I ordered a Gator from Ritch in Nov. I'm in TX it'll be my first offset. Proly won't be ready until march or so depending. If it turns into a longer wait no biggie.

BB-Kuhn
01-03-2013, 09:59 PM
I think cabinets appeal to backyard and competition cooks a lot because of the small footprint:high food capacity ratio. They are more portable than a huge offset, and dont take up the whole patio.

My opinion, of course. I like both, but imagine that I'd go for a large cabinet (stumps, backwoods, rebel,etc) until I had to make SERIOUS quantity. Then the large offsets start making sense.

dmprantz
01-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Most cabinet smokers are insulated and offer some form "set and forget" mode, even if it's from add-on electronics. I think that appeals to comp cooks who like to cook low-and-slow and get sleep.

While there are a lot of stick burners out there, I see very few of them in use for low-and-slow cooks. Most of them are hot-and-fast cooks, or they're for cooks who do one competion per year. I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions, but that's the trend I've been seeing at comps in Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia over the last five years or so.

Of course, just because something is a cabinet (vertical) smoker doesn't mean it isn't also an offset, and not all offsets are "horizontal pipe" smokers. There's the Brethren/Klose MOAB, the Yoder Stockdon, and my own personal pit, the Beast from Lonestar. I'm pretty sure Ritch has a couple of vertical only stick burners in addition to the Rebel cabint if memory serves.

I'm not sure if I have a point this time, except that insulated cabinet smokers that run on baskets, gravity, or pellets allow for sleep. Horizontal stick burners are still used a lot in comps, but mostly for hot-n-fast cooks from what I've seen. Things change...

dmp

Big Poppa
01-03-2013, 11:04 PM
I( see it going very strongly either Jambo type or Backwoods/rebel/assassin style cabinets...

NS Mike D
01-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Most cabinet smokers are insulated and offer some form "set and forget" mode, even if it's from add-on electronics. I think that appeals to comp cooks who like to cook low-and-slow and get sleep.

dmp

No to mention you can concentrate on all the other tasks of in a comp.

Also, since they take up a small footprint, you can fit it inside a trailer alongside your fridge, prep tables, sinks, bed, etc.

Untraceable
01-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Because insulated verticals are the shizz. They laugh at what weather has to offer. Heat wants to travel up. Why fight it?

Queology
01-04-2013, 09:08 AM
We use a Tucker offset and do about 10 events per year. We don't run hot and fast on it, but not as low and slow as we used too. It is a perfect size for a KCBS cook, and is almost a set it and forget it cooker, with the exception of having to recharge it every 5 hours. Having said that, my next pit will most likely be a cabinet style smoker because of the benefits mentioned previously.

Alexa RnQ
01-04-2013, 09:48 AM
There's no spot on top of the 9x9 box to indicate what type of cooker was used. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

spicewine
01-04-2013, 10:10 AM
I hope so !!! We got slammed in 2012. Not a bad problem to have!!

sitnfat
01-04-2013, 11:58 AM
I used a Stumps all this year. I will be going back to my stick burner Lena this year.

Muzzlebrake
01-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Here in the Northeast, cabinet smokers have been en vogue for a long time. There was and still is a large contingent of teams that are Backwoods fans, some of which have been very successful.

BBQchef33
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
hellooo... and lets not forget the Spicewines (www.spicewineironworks.com). Once it locks in, mine runs for 14 hours on a bag of kingsford.

JD McGee
01-04-2013, 01:19 PM
We're seeing a lot of Backwoods showing up in our neck of the woods. WSM's are the most common followed by pellet poopers then stick burners. I am preferring the simplicity of my MAK these days...talk about zero issues...just program it...push the button...and go to sleep! :cool:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Sawdustguy
01-04-2013, 01:35 PM
hellooo... and lets not forget the Spicewines (http://www.spicewineironworks.com). Once it locks in, mine runs for 14 hours on a bag of kingsford.

Or you can do what the Polocks do and use our DIY charcoal basket and Guru. We would start the Medium Spicewine at 5 pm to cook ourselves dinner and end up putting the fire out the next day after turn-ins on a single bag of charcoal.

Pitmaster T
01-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Funny how we have no problem saying all these models (Vault, Pitmaker, Spicewine, Backwoods) are "Cabinet" smokers but tell someone a PDC is nothing but a smaller UDS or BDS and merely a well finshed "drum smoker" and you have a war on your hands.

Muzzlebrake
01-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Funny how we have no problem saying all these models (Vault, Pitmaker, Spicewine, Backwoods) are "Cabinet" smokers but tell someone a PDC is nothing but a smaller UDS or BDS and merely a well finshed "drum smoker" and you have a war on your hands.

You lost me there. What's a PDC?

Pitmaster T
01-04-2013, 09:17 PM
You lost me there. What's a PDC?

Muzzle... I never stopped loving you. Muzzlebrake ladies and gentlemen... the greatest straight man since Dean Martin.

SureFire Muzzle Brake video - YouTube

Pitmaster T
01-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Oh sorry Pit Barrel Cooker so PBC.

Big Poppa
01-05-2013, 12:33 PM
I love the hanging meat.....great cookers...funny there are some new people taking credit for this idea. hahahaha

dmprantz
01-05-2013, 03:48 PM
I've been hanging my meat for years. Learned from my father-in-law who learned it from his team's head cook who started doing it 25+ years ago. They both swear by it. I have a special hanging grate in my "cabinet smoker" :) and before I ever saw the PBC, I bought a hanging "kit" for a cajun bandit, WSM, and UDS from Smoke EZ. It works well, and is a great way to hang meat with a OTS lid and a regular UDS.

dmp

djqualls
01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
I have a R&O 5' Offset ordered with a small Cabinet Chicken Cooker and a FEC 100 mounted on the same trailer painted Bright (American Dream) Red! You might call it my rolling testing laboratory!

que_dawg
01-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Go to any competition in the south and I would bet you will see at least 50-60% of the teams cooking on a cabinet smoker or two. Usually the team using cabinet style cookers are the teams that cook multiple competitions each year. As stated above, it's one less thing to worry about throughout the weekend and the weather just doesn't affect them, so if you get a crazy weather weekend you won't be fighting your cooker and you can concentrate on staying dry and warm!

RangerJ
01-06-2013, 01:09 PM

Bonus points for cross post reference!

JS-TX
01-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Well here in south TX, I would say 90% are stick burners, many of them custom built. The other 9% are probably cabinet smokers. Most of them I've seen are Pit Makers or custom built. The other 1% are misc. like my 2 bubba kegs, UDS or WSMs. People win using whatever.. it's the cook not the cooker. :biggrin1:

Triple T BBQ
01-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Loved the Jambo's and Lang's but have not won enough competitions to offset the cost. So we built one.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/08/qa7u4aha.jpg

It will run low and slow or hot and fast and works well with a fan assist or manually. It was a lot of fun to design and build.

ribsrdone
01-07-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm sure people have been hanging meat over the fire for long time. John Willingham was winning competitions hanging meat almost 30 years ago. The Wham Turbo Cooker was also a pellet cooker.http://www.willinghams.com/

Code3BBQ
01-07-2013, 04:52 PM
I am planning on making the switch to a cabinet smoker for this season. We do see more and more people coming out to the comps with cabinets. For me, I dont have a full time commitment of other team members, so it's just me. A cabinet smoker makes sense so that I can do more as a one man team. As stated above, its easy to bring the smoker and what you need in an enclosed trailer.