PDA

View Full Version : What kind of clock do you use at comps?

SCSmoke
12-31-2012, 09:02 AM
We have been using our cell phones for comp clocks. They work okay but we probably have thrown away an extra 200 gloves pulling them out of our pockets. Not to mention you can't sync them with the official clock.
So.... what is a good clock? One that has big enough numbers to read easily, battery powered, easy to sync with official clock, and affordable. Thanks!

lcbateman3
12-31-2012, 09:04 AM
El cheapo clock from a dollar store. Pull the battery out after every comp, next comp put it back in and sync it with the official clock.

Ford
12-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Atomic clock like reps use. Had mine for 10 years now.

SCSmoke
12-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Atomic clock like reps use. Had mine for 10 years now.

Any specific brand?

dmprantz
12-31-2012, 09:16 AM
I used one of these for two years and thought it was great:

Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology WS-8418U-IT Atomic Digital Wall Clock with Moon Phase: Home & Kitchen

My big complaints: It's overkill. You don't need cycle of the moon or "outdoors temp" for a comp clock. Also, while you can make it display seconds instead of the outdoors temp, it's a few button presses every time you install batteries. I sold it to another competitor because....

I still had this clock on my Amazon wishlist and some one bought it for me:

Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology WT-8005U-S Atomic Digital Wall Clock with Indoor Temperature, Silver: Home & Kitchen

It's more affordable, isn't as much overkill, and has seconds by the clock. I haven't used it yet, but I can't imagine it being any worse.

There is a third clock available, that I don't think was around before. It has two temps like the first clock, but no moon, and is the same size as the second one. It only costs $1 more on Amazon, but do you need the display to be crowded? Still, I like these clocks. I recommend either storing the clock somewhere where it can get a signal, or taking out the batteries between comps because not getting a signal will drain the battery.

dmp

EDIT: Maybe you do want outdoor temp if you use an RV or trailer. It would be nice to know the temp when you get up first thing in the morning. I've always competed in an EZ-UP, so the "indoor temp" was the "outdoor temp."

sdbbq1234
12-31-2012, 09:27 AM
SAMs also carry some of the Atomic clocks.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/atomic-digital-clock-wireless-outdoortemp/prod7940192.ip?navAction=push

It is a little busy and we were ready to pull the trigger on one, but found the older Skyscan model (a lot less busy) at a garage sale for $5.00 last year.

Works great!

Just make sure to pull battery out after each event.

wallace

daveinwestmont
12-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Andrew - My wristwatch, set it with the KCBS judge Friday night, check it again in the AM - Cross check it twice against my cell during the course of the AM on Saturday.

Happy New Year bud!!!

JS-TX
12-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Great idea, this is something I need to add to my comp. supplies. I got my cell phone with alarms/alerts but it's not convenient when your hands are all filthy. I lost track of time (which is easy to do!) at my last comp. and almost got DQd with my rib turn ins.

TRS
12-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Atomic Clock from Walmart or Target, approx $25. Can be hung in the comp trailer and also has 2 legs so it can be set on a table. Has big numbers to read easily and always dead on with the reps clocks.

Pole D
12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
If you are in a NC BBQ Society event you can just use a sundial. We did an event last year where the organizer (head of NCBS) went and bought a clock at walmart the night before.

He didn't spare any expense. He bought one that not only had an hours hand but it also had a minutes hand and a seconds hand!

Ron_L
12-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology WT-8005U-S Atomic Digital Wall Clock with Indoor Temperature, Silver: Home & Kitchen (http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-WT-8005U-S-Temperature/dp/B002BDV8DC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1356966797&sr=8-7&keywords=lacross+clock)

This is the one that we have. It's hanging on the wall of the trailer in easy view from our prep table.

Cast Iron Chef
12-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I use the Sams club one. Works great.

Rookie'48
12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Yep, the La Crosse one that dmp & Ronelle use is great. I've got one for home & one in the RV.

nucornhusker
12-31-2012, 11:04 AM
I use the usual $20 atomic clock on the prep table. It so nice to have a clock that is easy to see at any time to see if there is anything you need to be doing (rubbing, foiling, brining, putting on meat, etc).

smoke-n-my-i's
12-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Just an old el'cheapo analog one... check it on Saturday morning with the atomic and cell phone, and good to go... just pull the battery out after your done using it, and it will be ready for the next time. Been using it abt 8 yrs now and has never let me down....

Big Mike
12-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Just use my cell phone

dhuffjr
12-31-2012, 12:38 PM
I use my cell. I have discovered that Verizon time = atomic clock time...... at least on the clock the Grinstead's carry around.

SCSmoke
12-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys! I just ordered the La Crosse of Amazon.

chromesporty
12-31-2012, 01:04 PM
I use this. It syncs with the atomic clock every morning, and it's always exact to the second!

Sawdustguy
12-31-2012, 02:32 PM
iPhone 4S

early mornin' smokin'
12-31-2012, 02:53 PM
iphone4s...with alarms set 20 minutes, 15 minutes and 5 minutes before each turn in time...works great

didisea
12-31-2012, 03:16 PM
La Crosse ATOMIC time clock hangs in the trailer next to my prep table. I use my cell phone to set the "check back in 20 mins" alarms, as well as the 3:30am alarm to get up and start cookin'.

fnbish
12-31-2012, 04:04 PM
A watch. I never have to look at one specific place that a clock would sit to see the time or pull out a phone with dirty hands. But my girlfriend did just get me an atomic clock that we will bring now too.

Smoke'n Ice
12-31-2012, 05:26 PM
I use a Westclox atomic clock model number 70028 available from wally world for less than 30 bucks. Bought it 2 years ago and have not replaced or removed the batteries as of yet. May change them out this year as it also has alarm functions whcih are nice. Set it on the prep table where we build boxes and don't have to wonder? If it is not in sync with the reps clock, then check your cell phone and question the one that is wrong. your's or the rep's.

CBQ
01-01-2013, 12:21 AM
We use the La Crosse - it has always been an exact match for the rep's time.

ModelMaker
01-01-2013, 08:43 AM
I use a Westclox atomic clock model number 70028 available from wally world for less than 30 bucks. Bought it 2 years ago and have not replaced or removed the batteries as of yet. May change them out this year as it also has alarm functions whcih are nice. Set it on the prep table where we build boxes and don't have to wonder? If it is not in sync with the reps clock, then check your cell phone and question the one that is wrong. your's or the rep's.

Um, the reps clock is never wrong...
Ed

Cayman1
01-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Just an old el'cheapo analog one... check it on Saturday morning with the atomic and cell phone, and good to go... just pull the battery out after your done using it, and it will be ready for the next time. Been using it abt 8 yrs now and has never let me down....

We use one just like this.

smokeyw
01-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Is this the same contest that had turn in boxes with partitions in them?

If you are in a NC BBQ Society event you can just use a sundial. We did an event last year where the organizer (head of NCBS) went and bought a clock at walmart the night before.

He didn't spare any expense. He bought one that not only had an hours hand but it also had a minutes hand and a seconds hand!

Pole D
01-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Is this the same contest that had turn in boxes with partitions in them?

Sure was. Were you there? Are you planing on entering this year? I would love hear your thoughts.

Balls Casten
01-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Atomic Marathon Jumbo with 4in tall digits which is great for hangovers ... I mean seeing from across your spot.

I see this link says $100 but I bought ours at $40 something on ebay.
http://www.marathonhousewares.com/products/item/atomic-digital-wall-clock-jumbo-big-large

nmayeux
01-02-2013, 01:32 PM
+1 for the Target Atomic Clock. I keep and use my watch and cellphone, but nothing beats being able to look across the site and seeing the big numbers clearly. When Dave and I compete, we actually have two out... One in prep, and the other with the cookers. Also, it is kinda cool to see that your clock matches the Rep's clock when they do the Saturday morning walk around. :)

I was able to pick mine up for $6.99 clearance at Target, so just keep a eye on the sales.

smokeyw
01-02-2013, 05:00 PM
No I wasn't there. I heard about it from some very upset cooks. I can't imagine how you would prepare your boxes like that. I can't really say I'm surprised because it was the NC Barbecue Society. I used to be a member but did not have a very positive experience with them.

Sure was. Were you there? Are you planing on entering this year? I would love hear your thoughts.

TELL YOU WHAT BBQ
01-02-2013, 07:02 PM
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p503/ashkickinq/clock_zps9005940b.jpg

Dang...Does that mean we MISSED the turn-ins!??:roll:

BoneDaddy's
01-03-2013, 11:18 AM
I prefer a sundial

Pole D
01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
No I wasn't there. I heard about it from some very upset cooks. I can't imagine how you would prepare your boxes like that. I can't really say I'm surprised because it was the NC Barbecue Society. I used to be a member but did not have a very positive experience with them.

We were just told not to worry about appearance. That they the staff puts out the food for the judges.

tnjimbob
01-03-2013, 03:52 PM
El cheapo Timex battery powered alarm clock, sourced from Goodwill for $1. 1" numbers and reverse LCD, so it is easy to see from just about anywhere. I also remove batteries after comps, then sync with reps' clock on Saturday morning.

rolfejr
01-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Gotta Have One!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=74071&stc=1&d=1357137589