PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Club Announcment

Heath Hall
12-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Anyone know what time today KCBS plans to release the dates and locations of the 2013 Sam's Club contests?

Fat Freddy
12-28-2012, 11:20 AM
I talked to Carla in the KCBS office minutes ago(11:15) and she had no idea. She said KCBS does not actually run the KCBS website so when the group that runs the website posts it shhe will know when we know. She was very nice but sounded like she has answered this question alot today.

Slamdunkpro
12-28-2012, 11:32 AM
http://www.slamdunkpro.com/Resources/were-waiting.jpg

Jorge
12-28-2012, 11:45 AM
http://www.slamdunkpro.com/Resources/were-waiting.jpg

Did you buy the hat for the free bowl of soup?:twisted:

Slamdunkpro
12-28-2012, 11:48 AM
No, but on you it looks good

Rich Parker
12-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Their Facebook page said announcement around noon CST.

TTNuge
12-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Date's are up......

Team registration for the 2013 Sam's Club National BBQ Tour begins on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7 PM CST

http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=595

Region 1 | Hendersonville, TN
DateLocation
2/16/13Tampa, FL
2/23/13Daphne, AL
5/11/13Knoxville, TN
5/18/13Marietta, GA
6/1/13N. Charleston, SC
9/14/13Hendersonville, TN

Region 2 | Midwest City, OK
DateLocation
3/2/13Baton Rouge, LA
3/9/13Westworth Village, TX
4/27/13Overland Park, KS
5/4/13St. Charles, MO
9/28/13Kansas City, MO
10/12/13Midwest City, OK

Region 3 | Rockford, IL
DateLocation
6/22/13Indianapolis, IN
6/29/13Traverse City, MI
7/6/13Madison, WI
7/13/13Woodbury, MN
7/20/13Des Moines, IA
8/3/13Rockford, IL

Region 4 | Las Vegas, NV
DateLocation
3/16/13Albuquerque, NM
3/23/13Tucson, AZ
3/30/13Thornton, CO
4/6/13Salt Lake City, UT
4/13/13Renton, WA
4/20/13Las Vegas, NV

Region 5 | Chesapeake, VA
DateLocation
6/8/13Asheville, NC
6/15/13Lexington, KY
8/10/13Medford, NY
8/17/13Laurel, MD
8/24/13Richmond, VA
9/7/13Chesapeake, VA

Sam's Club National BBQ Championship
DateLocation
10/19/13Bentonville, AR

cvath
12-28-2012, 12:15 PM
The 6/8 Asheville, NC date is very disappointing. The only NC date pretty far in western NC, near TN where a Region 1 event is already occurring under a month earlier, but it's also the same day as an existing contest in Western NC. Poor planning in my opinion.

cpw
12-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Stupid question, do you have to be a KCBS member to enter? The web page states that, just want to clarify.

nthole
12-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Woohoo, St. Louis gets a first rounder this year!

sweetracks
12-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Stupid question, do you have to be a KCBS member to enter? The web page states that, just want to clarify.

yes you need to be a memeber

SCSmoke
12-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Yes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

wmaes47
12-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Nothing in California...

Big disappointment for a large BBQ base...

White Dog BBQ
12-28-2012, 01:17 PM
No Pittsburgh event this year. :-( It's understandable, since it didn't fill up last year, but I enjoyed competing there the last two years.

Slamdunkpro
12-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Laurel, Md is on the same weekend as Cumberland Md. Cumberland struggled last year, this will kill it. At least our region is before the Royal cutoff this year.

stevrod
12-28-2012, 01:56 PM
:boxing:Could this be a slap in the face?
Anyway maybe Sterling can start another race! From what was said on Rempe's show "KOS" may have been the BEST comp ever! (For the Competitors and the Public)

smoke-n-my-i's
12-28-2012, 02:01 PM
The 6/8 Asheville, NC date is very disappointing. The only NC date pretty far in western NC, near TN where a Region 1 event is already occurring under a month earlier, but it's also the same day as an existing contest in Western NC. Poor planning in my opinion.

Same thing last year with Greensboro and Apex (just 60 miles apart) on the same weekend.

Arlin_MacRae
12-28-2012, 02:04 PM
And Midwest City, OK (our local Sam's) is now a regional. W00t!

Oh - more stuff for us judges:

Judges registration for the 2013 Sam's Club National BBQ Tour begins on Jan. 16, 2013, at 7 PM CST. In the event that a judge cannot preside at an event, there will be an online opt-out button and the next person on the waitlist will be notified.

Registration for the National Championship event for Master Certified Judges will begin on Aug. 1, 2013

Arlin_MacRae
12-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Rules are here:
http://kcbs.us/samstour-rules.php

Scottie
12-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Nothing in California...

Big disappointment for a large BBQ base...

It wasnt well supported out there. Or the region does not have KCBS members.

Bigmista
12-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Absolutely no contests in California and only 1 in Texas. But there are 2 in Tennessee and 2 in Virginia. Kind of a slap in the face isn't it? Two biggest states in the continental U.S. an there is only one contest between them? Who's idea was that?

California contests were among the first to fill up. And there are thousands of KCBS members in California.

AppalachianAmericanBBQ
12-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Pretty new to competition bbq. I understand that you have to be member of kcbs to enter the Sams tour. But is the registration just the other contest? And can you just sign up for one Sams event or all of them in that region?

sfisch
12-28-2012, 02:46 PM
We are grateful to have another contest in Michigan this year but why did they have to pick the same place they did 2 years ago?

Bigmista
You can only cook one local contest.

SCSmoke
What is everyone's perception of the potential " open enrolment"? To me it sounds like if they can't fill them up teams may have a chance to enter more than 1 local. Not sure I like that idea.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ford
12-28-2012, 03:26 PM
No you can still only enter 1. If you don't get in the one you want you can sign up for another and wait list the one you really want. Then if somebody drops out you can switch over. But you can only cook one.

stevrod
12-28-2012, 03:29 PM
It wasnt well supported out there. Or the region does not have KCBS members.
Interesting thought, although as BigMista states; Thousands of members in So Cal., All previous have filled early and had waiting lists. Oh and by the way the one west coast event is in the heart of PNWBA territory. Here's an idea, maybe it time to let Sam's continue on their own. KCBS could just license the software and intellectual property. Sam's would then be free to do as they please, KCBS could operate as the members expect, and life goes on. Sam's has done some great things for BBQ awareness, but lets remember Sam's is doing this to build business and profits. We do this for the competition and camaraderie.

Kit R
12-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Assuming a team made it through the local qualifier, the Region 5 Final is the same weekend as Hedgesville WV. So, do you throw in for a shot at an automatic to the Jack, or do you go for the shot at $50K (assuming the recurrent rumors of another WV comp cropping up doesn't come true), and, as stated previously you make it thorugh the local qualifier. I'm not complaining; it's just an interesting question to ponder. Not to metion there's KCBS comps in Richmond and Shrewsbury PA the sme weekend as well.

dmprantz
12-28-2012, 04:02 PM

If it makes you feel any less dissapointed, notice that the region 1 final is pretty close to region 5, and just a couple hours from another region 5 event. Sorry for the long drive Florida teams, but at least there will be fewer of you having to make it this year:)

dmp

Rich Parker
12-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Interesting thought, although as BigMista states; Thousands of members in So Cal., All previous have filled early and had waiting lists. Oh and by the way the one west coast event is in the heart of PNWBA territory. Here's an idea, maybe it time to let Sam's continue on their own. KCBS could just license the software and intellectual property. Sam's would then be free to do as they please, KCBS could operate as the members expect, and life goes on. Sam's has done some great things for BBQ awareness, but lets remember Sam's is doing this to build business and profits. We do this for the competition and camaraderie.

Sam's Club competitions are not ran by KCBS only sanctioned by KCBS. They can do whatever they want.

jaestar
12-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Region 2 coming out of KC would be a tough few weeks...local Sam's Club, American Royal, Sam's Regional and then Sam's Final.

Tim H
12-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Bummer... no OHIO contest site for 2013... was hoping for a Cleveland or Columbus site... will probably opt out of the Sam's festivities in 2013... just cannot afford to make the long travel arrangements

dmprantz
12-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Sam's Club competitions are not ran by KCBS only sanctioned by KCBS. They can do whatever they want.

I don't know that this is completely true. Walmart's marketing team is involved, but the series as run by MMA, who is KCBS' marketing team. Officially KCBS has no direct management of the events, but it happens on their retainer so to speak.

dmp

Rich Parker
12-28-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't know that this is completely true. Walmart's marketing team is involved, but the series as run by MMA, who is KCBS' marketing team. Officially KCBS has no direct management of the events, but it happens on their retainer so to speak.

dmp

Agreed, but doubt KCBS is telling Sam's Club who is putting up $500k where there comps are going to be to an extent other than denying their sanctioning.

Scottie
12-28-2012, 05:05 PM

It wasn't meant as a slam on Cali. I am speaking on what I know and saw. The KCBS banquet last year in SD was not well represented by the thousands of So Cal members then... and the SD contest took forever to sell out last year. Midwest locals are always the first locals to sell out. The series is not about where all the KCBS members are located. If that was the case why does texas keep getting contests and they are not a KCBS state with numbers? And Tucson is.dnot that far for So Cal teams. Other regions have to travel as well.

RangerJ
12-28-2012, 05:22 PM
I think a study of Sams / Wal Mart's history makes some of this obvious to include the "why" of Texas.

Which may not be heavy in KCBS membership but filling the 4 locals over 2 years here was not an issue.

Rub
12-28-2012, 05:37 PM
I loved the series last year and had a blast in Bentonville. But it amounts to 58 hours of pulling a trailer for 2 contests should someone in central FL progress through. That part is not fun.

JD McGee
12-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Gonna be a busy April in these here parts of the country! :becky:

Funtimebbq
12-28-2012, 08:16 PM
While at the Jack Daniel's contest this year, we had a visit from Troy Black who told us there would be no CA contest in 2013. His reason was due to the commercial fees he had to pay each year to get his RV into the state. For those of you who have been at contests, you know his RV is wrapped with all the sponsors logos from front ot back. He insisted, the RV was a private coach but the state truck inspection personnel thought otherwise and made him pay fees.

Benny

azwildcat
12-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Sounds like California. They never met a tax they didn't like. The Tucson Sam's is 45 min away from us. Just pure luck. Great to have it two years in a row, but even the year before it was just up in Phoenix. We expect a bunch of So Cal teams making the 8 hr drive.

Uncle Buds BBQ
12-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Here is a map view of the contests.

http://batchgeo.com/map/397f6bdf60a0810edd57c4618fdb9a56

wmaes47
12-28-2012, 09:07 PM
While at the Jack Daniel's contest this year, we had a visit from Troy Black who told us there would be no CA contest in 2013. His reason was due to the commercial fees he had to pay each year to get his RV into the state. For those of you who have been at contests, you know his RV is wrapped with all the sponsors logos from front ot back. He insisted, the RV was a private coach but the state truck inspection personnel thought otherwise and made him pay fees.

Benny

Benny

I don't believe Troy travels with the motorhome anymore... He sold it...

BasicPatrick
12-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Once again no local qualifier in geographic New England. Our closest local is out on long Island. Very disappointing.

This is America and we vote with our dollars.

Scottie
12-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Sounds like California. They never met a tax they didn't like. The Tucson Sam's is 45 min away from us. Just pure luck. Great to have it two years in a row, but even the year before it was just up in Phoenix. We expect a bunch of So Cal teams making the 8 hr drive.

I happen to be arriving in Tucson that weekend if you need a hand. I would be happy to come out and do what ever.

Bentley
12-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Same thing last year with Greensboro and Apex (just 60 miles apart) on the same weekend.

This would be a no brainer for me...I will choose Apex!

CBQ
12-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Benny

I don't believe Troy travels with the motorhome anymore... He sold it...

Ya, they move the gear in a box truck now and Troy flys in.

CBQ
12-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Once again no local qualifier in geographic New England. Our closest local is out on long Island. Very disappointing.

This is America and we vote with our dollars.

Could be worse. They cancelled Pittsburgh, not Medford. I did the Pittsburgh drive in 2011, and Medford is much better for NEBS teams. Catch the ferry at New London and it's not so bad. (Yes, you can take an RV and trailer.)

CBQ
12-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Agreed, but doubt KCBS is telling Sam's Club who is putting up $500k where there comps are going to be to an extent other than denying their sanctioning.

Sam's determines the locations. Per Troy, it's mainly based on store performance, as hosting the contest is a reward for high performing clubs.

djqualls
12-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Region 2 coming out of KC would be a tough few weeks...local Sam's Club, American Royal, Sam's Regional and then Sam's Final.

That's the run I'm shooting for.

bigdogphin
12-29-2012, 02:45 AM
Thank you SAMs club for the event in Renton...

Big Poppa
12-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I believe that Sam's and Wal mart know about demographics....

I also thank them for the opportunity that didnt exist before....

I understand as a promoter of a limited field contest that you will upset many people some who weren't planning on competing anyways....there are 25 contests at the beginning and 50 states....you cant please everybody. I have a hard time with the irate responses..Im glad they dont read these forums.

I think the reason why Southern California was left out is because many of the teams including ours just used it as a KCBS contest with no plans to advance even if we did (and we qualified and bailed)....Albuquerque was a bad weekend for us....Queen Mary contest in long beach and fell on mothers day and two of our team mates have kids under the age of two...
The year before they ended up in sacramento having to go down to the 13th place finisher to make it work. I think California brought the no contest here on ourselves.

indianagriller
12-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Quick question as I have never cooked a Sams competition. You register and pay for the first comp in the local, if you cook well enough and get lucky you get to move onto the regional...is there another entry fee for the regional round and so on?

Ford
12-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Quick question as I have never cooked a Sams competition. You register and pay for the first comp in the local, if you cook well enough and get lucky you get to move onto the regional...is there another entry fee for the regional round and so on?

$250 for each.

Pig Headed
12-29-2012, 11:19 AM

Yes and another entry fee if you qualify for the national. I think they give you 48 hours to pay. Someone will correct me if I wrong about the timing.

azwildcat
12-29-2012, 11:28 AM
I happen to be arriving in Tucson that weekend if you need a hand. I would be happy to come out and do what ever.
Sure Scottie, if you wanna cook the 4 meats i'll do everything else!:wink:

Jorge
12-29-2012, 12:19 PM
I believe that Sam's and Wal mart know about demographics....

I also thank them for the opportunity that didnt exist before....

I understand as a promoter of a limited field contest that you will upset many people some who weren't planning on competing anyways....there are 25 contests at the beginning and 50 states....you cant please everybody. I have a hard time with the irate responses..Im glad they dont read these forums.

I think the reason why Southern California was left out is because many of the teams including ours just used it as a KCBS contest with no plans to advance even if we did (and we qualified and bailed)....Albuquerque was a bad weekend for us....Queen Mary contest in long beach and fell on mothers day and two of our team mates have kids under the age of two...
The year before they ended up in sacramento having to go down to the 13th place finisher to make it work. I think California brought the no contest here on ourselves.

The only thing I'd disagree with is Sam's reading these forums. I can guarantee, even without being told, that their IT department is aware of what is said about them. They have more than ample resources, and to not do so would be foolish. Wal-Mart/Sam's does strike me as being foolish very often when it comes to business.

mr dirts bbq
12-29-2012, 12:28 PM
ill be online on the 9th waiting to sign up for medford!:becky:

dmprantz
12-29-2012, 12:59 PM
is there another entry fee for the regional round and so on?

As others have mentioned, you have to pay for each round, but the payout structure last year guarenteed that you won at least enough money to pay for it if you moved on. This did not help those who qualified but were not top 6, etc. Not that any one asked me, but I'd rather regionals and national be free entry and reduce the overall payouts by $250 in each spot. Helps ensure that teams don't take the "move on" money and run.

As for the WalMart marketing team and this forum, I know for a fact that they know about it. I told them.

dmp

swamprb
12-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Let me be the first to welcome any Brethren planning on making the trip to Region 4-Renton, Washington!

Here is a little glimpse of what we're in store for!

Ode To Renton - YouTube

I like Sterlings analysis of why there are no California events this year and wonder to myself (and some PNWBA cooks) that will support the event, but do not advance to Las Vegas.

little bit of r & r
12-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Looks like we are leaving Alabama to compete in Lexington either way I was looking at a 300 mile drive one way

Meat Man
12-29-2012, 04:40 PM
We'er happy as heck to have Sams back in SLC this year, and even happier to have the regional in Vegas. We weren't able to go to the NM regional last year (kids graduating from college), but no conflicts this year. Any California teams that want to come up to SLC and cook in 40 degree weather come on up. :laugh:

drbbq
12-29-2012, 04:55 PM
There seems to be a misunderstanding. You are not required to cook in a Sam's contest so if it's too far or on a bad date or you don't like the water situation just don't sign up. I hope that helps.
See you in Tampa!

Hawg Father of Seoul
12-29-2012, 05:21 PM
The only thing I'd disagree with is Sam's reading these forums. I can guarantee, even without being told, that their IT department is aware of what is said about them. They have more than ample resources, and to not do so would be foolish. Wal-Mart/Sam's does strike me as being foolish very often when it comes to business.

Dude, you would freak if you knew. It's not the IT guys though.

They don't care what we are saying here. As long as we do not get in to the "core operations". But they are not naive.

columbia1
12-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Very happy to see a contest up in Washington State, it is going to be fun cooking in either 6' of snow or 4" of rain a day, feel sorry for the California teams, make sure you bring your goulashes and a good warm coat and check ahead of time to see if the passes are clear.
http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/oxygen-icons.org/oxygen/128/Status-weather-snow-rain-icon.pnghttp://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/oxygen-icons.org/oxygen/128/Status-weather-snow-rain-icon.pnghttp://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/oxygen-icons.org/oxygen/128/Status-weather-snow-rain-icon.pnghttp://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/oxygen-icons.org/oxygen/128/Status-weather-snow-rain-icon.png

:rain::rain::rain::rain::rain::rain::rain::rain::r ain::rain::rain::rain::rain::rain::rain::rain:

sitnfat
12-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Why would you drive to Lexington from Alabama? If you move on its a longer haul for the regionals?

Muzzlebrake
12-29-2012, 06:42 PM
These people have some nerve, sponsoring 31 contests nationwide with half a million dollars in prize money. Then they expect us to drive to them and not even have the decency to provide running water.

Yup, this is the kind of thing that's going to ruin competition BBQ..........

Am I missing something?

Smoke'n Ice
12-29-2012, 07:01 PM
I have been reading this thread with some interest and fail to understand why the "Sam's" bashing. It appears that they go out of their way to spread the contests around. As an example, looking at the number of stores in the US, Texas (73) has almost twice as many stores as the next closest state which is Florida followed by California a distant 3rd. Additionally, I shop in more Sam's clubs in my small part of Dallas than the State of Washington has (3, all in the Seattle area).

As far as selecting a club for the contest, it is a mystery to me because I know for a fact that their newest endeavour, which is a double decker with a Wally World on top and Sam's below in an "L" configuration with 3 levels of covered parking and one of the highest grossing stores, period, received absolutly no consideration for this. I was business member of the year at this club several years ago and know most of the staff personally and they don't have a clue either.

Let us, as BBQer be thankful for the event and payout and, as Dr. BBQ stated, YOU DON'T HAVE TO COOK THEM IF YOU DON'T WANT! Support of this and other events that MMA has brought forward, has put money in my pocket, as well as a bunch of other cookers and, especially the GC's at each level for the last two years. Just ask them what the tax rate was on their winnings. :oops:

blackeyedpig
12-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Can someone please give a quick run down of the registration process? Yes, I know you have to be a KCBS member.

82's BBQ
12-29-2012, 10:08 PM
I believe registration begins on Jan 9. You have to register online through the KCBS website

wmaes47
12-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Can someone please give a quick run down of the registration process? Yes, I know you have to be a KCBS member.

- Team registration for the 2013 Sam's Club National BBQ Tour begins on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7 PM CDT
- $250 entry
- KCBS website
- 30 teams per event maximum
- 1 contest registration, only

JD McGee
12-29-2012, 10:20 PM
I just don't get it folks...all this ranting and raving over nothing...boohoo this...boohoo that...get over it! :drama: We're happy as hell to get a local event up here! For cryin' out loud we're happy to get ANY KCBS events up here! I guarantee you it will be very well received and most of all not taken for granted...at least not by us. And guess what...everyone gets a 20x40 space...20x40...it's like bbq heaven! Un-farkin'-real...:tsk:

Crash
12-30-2012, 01:30 AM
No local this year in Hawaii, again.....and we are 100% OK with that!

Props to Sams for providing the opportunity for all of you cooks on the mainland. :thumb:

rolfejr
12-30-2012, 08:44 AM
The thing I enjoy is competing against passionate competitors.
You have to "WANT" to compete in this event.
It takes effort to enroll, it takes effort to get to the site, it takes effort to compete, and it takes effort to win and move on.
No slackers allowed, just dedicated teams who love the effort it takes to go against like minded competition.

Getting a call in a weak field is nothing like getting a call against those who compete at the highest level.

You'll never be the best until you beat the best!

Maddog's
12-30-2012, 11:18 AM
If my local compadres wanted to cook Sam's in the past it was a 900 mile drive (one way) to Salt Lake City or 1,225 to San Diego. Damned right, PNWBA folks are pleased to see Sam's is coming to Renton, WA. (Scratchin' my head over only having 6 days to be at the regional in Las Vegas - 1,200 miles away but what the hell. I won't qualify anyway!) Damn right Sam's knows what they are doing. Bazillion dollar corporation, folks. They don't do ANYTHING by accident. Finally, take another look at that map. The one lone pin in the region consisting of Mont, Idaho, Ore & Wash is there for the very first time, unless I'm mistaken. Yeah, we're KCBS members, up here. We cook the VERY few KCBS events we get but mostly cook PNWBA events because they're scheduled most EVERY weekend through the season. Thanks SAM'S. We're really looking forward to it!

Rich Parker
12-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Wish we could get a casino or offshore gaming site to take bets. :cool:

nukenight
12-31-2012, 01:54 AM
The proposed Sam's contest in Baton Rouge, LA is 16 miles from an eleven-year old contest that raises money for St. Jude and the Dream Day Foundation. This established sanctioned contest (not with KCBS) has had anywhere from 35-61 teams. It is obvious to me that KCBS and Sam's do not understand BBQ in Louisiana. This is why KCBS needs some type of regional representation! The farther you get from KCMO, the less KCBS cares about BBQ, judges, or cooks. Here, I am using the phrase KCBS to mean the 20-50 people associated with the office, board, and other insiders, not the 15,000 plus other members.

Smoke'n Ice
12-31-2012, 06:35 AM
I don't believe that the locations and dates have a lot to do with KCBS. It appears to be more of logistics about going from one contest to the next, week after week. Sam's along with MMA pick locations and dates and then check for other KCBS contests in the area since it is a KCBS sanctioned contest. Most of the time, other sanctioning bodies do not even consider what others are doing as there are no established communications except via phone calls after the fact.

If you feel strongly enough about the scheduling, then contact the folks who are in charge, MMA, and discuss it with them. Last year, there was a problem with one of the locations chosen that only the local people were aware of. This information was communicated to MMA and they, in discussions with Sam's, made a change.

Bringing it up on a forum is well and good and allows you to vent and gather addition support for your position but, it won't acheive the desired results, only direct communications with the actual people doing the schedule can accomplish change.

huminie
12-31-2012, 01:34 PM
I am grateful for the Sam's Club sponsorship of this series and I think it is great for the "sport" of BBQ.

It is a little disappointing to see no contests in CA, which is a very fast growing BBQ region. Most of the issues I have seen in past contests were due to scheduling conflicts. Most notably regionals that conflicted with pre-scheduled large state events.

In the end it is up to the organizers and sponsors to make the decisions that they think will best serve the program. I wish them all the best in making this a successful series of events that will continue on for years to come.

I also wish all the brethren teams that sign up the best of luck and success for their cooks!

dmprantz
12-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Is it the opinion of some that if some one throws enough money your way, you lose all rights to openly question or critique him? I don't argue that this is Walmart's party. They can bring whatever toys they want, allow whomever they want to play, and take them home whenever they see fit. I also agree that no one is required to play, but I don't think it means that people should be made to feel badly for voicing opinions that aren't complete praise. Whether or not you feel that this is good for KCBS or BBQ, and whether or not you participate, you should be allowed to speak your mind, especially if you do it respecfully.

Just my humble opinion,

dmp

Smoke'n Ice
12-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Is it the opinion of some that if some one throws enough money your way, you lose all rights to openly question or critique him? I don't argue that this is Walmart's party. They can bring whatever toys they want, allow whomever they want to play, and take them home whenever they see fit. I also agree that no one is required to play, but I don't think it means that people should be made to feel badly for voicing opinions that aren't complete praise. Whether or not you feel that this is good for KCBS or BBQ, and whether or not you participate, you should be allowed to speak your mind, especially if you do it respecfully.

Just my humble opinion,

dmp

I agree whole heartly. It just how it happens that can be taken wrong. As an example a previous poster could have worded it differently and would have garnered support from a bunch of us.

Instead of
"The proposed Sam's contest in Baton Rouge, LA is 16 miles from an eleven-year old contest that raises money for St. Jude and the Dream Day Foundation. This established sanctioned contest (not with KCBS) has had anywhere from 35-61 teams. It is obvious to me that KCBS and Sam's do not understand BBQ in Louisiana. This is why KCBS needs some type of regional representation! The farther you get from KCMO, the less KCBS cares about BBQ, judges, or cooks. Here, I am using the phrase KCBS to mean the 20-50 people associated with the office, board, and other insiders, not the 15,000 plus other members."

It could have read "The proposed Sam's contest in Baton Rouge, LA is 16 miles from an eleven-year old contest that raises money for St. Jude and the Dream Day Foundation. This established sanctioned contest (not with KCBS) has had anywhere from 35-61 teams. I wonder if anyone knows or has thought of this. Whom should I contact to discuss this with a possiblilty to change the date or location?"

I think that this would at least get discussion and consideration at MMA and Sam's but might not get the desired results.

I was, in the 70 plus years of my life, taught that you are a part of the solution or you are the problem and to never present a problem without a proposed solution. It gets the ball rolling so to speak.

Just my .02 and thank you for at least reading.

rooftop bbq
01-03-2013, 03:07 PM
yep Big Poppa said it best. But I'm not sure it was us that brought it on ourselves. Having the regional on the very edge of the region was a big mistake. (Vegas is the perfect place for the regional and im glad they moved it back this year). Not to mention most teams had already signed up for the queen mary comp. We too qualified and didnt move on for those reasons.

tnjimbob
01-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Even though two Sam's events are in TN, only one is local. The second one in Hendersonville is a regional. Must win a local to qualify for a regional, IIRC.

RangerJ
01-03-2013, 09:23 PM
yep Big Poppa said it best. But I'm not sure it was us that brought it on ourselves. Having the regional on the very edge of the region was a big mistake. (Vegas is the perfect place for the regional and im glad they moved it back this year). Not to mention most teams had already signed up for the queen mary comp. We too qualified and didnt move on for those reasons.

Then you kind of did bring it on yourself.