PDA

View Full Version : Comp Brisket- Sauce or No Sauce

ButchB
12-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Just curious how many of you use sauce on your competition brisket? Is it your regular sweet style sauce like for chicken and ribs? Or is it just the drippings from your brisket cook? Just trying to get an idea because I just can't make myself like the taste of a sweet sauce on beef and wondering if it's just me? Or maybe I need to do something different with my sauce for brisket? Thanks

Rub
12-23-2012, 01:52 PM
I've done well each way.

Smokin' D
12-23-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm a simple drippings kind of guy with my Brisket as I like beef to taste beefy!
Got a few top 50% and but 1 first in the comps I've done this way. I will tell you that I've had iQue's brisket and it is beyond sweet. As you know his success in comps is far greater than mine, so you be the decider and guess what the judges like.

What kills me is that the judges are people too, and most people say they don't like a sweet brisket. Judges lie. I am a KCBS judge.

smokinit
12-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I think we have lost track of what BBQ used to be and it surely wasn't all about the sauce. Its up to us as competitors to try to make the change.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

wjwheeler
12-23-2012, 04:35 PM
We've had four 180 briskets. Au jus only.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
12-23-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm certainly no big winner in the brisket category by any means.... but from a cooks perspective, and someone who likes to eat BEEF, I prefer no sauce!!! A properly seasoned and cooked brisket needs only to be touched up with the au jus. IMHO

bam
12-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Combo of beef broth butter and dripping.Take a dip in then place in the box.:thumb:

Alexa RnQ
12-24-2012, 08:45 AM
What kills me is that the judges are people too, and most people say they don't like a sweet brisket. Judges lie. I am a KCBS judge.

I don't see a reason here to call judges liars.
They are perfectly free to not like sweet brisket, but if one is put in front of them, they are supposed to judge it AS PRESENTED. If what is presented is an extremely well-executed sweet brisket, where the sauce allowed the flavor of the tender, juicy, perfectly-cooked meat to come through in a balanced manner, it can be 9 all day and still not be that judge's personal preference.

We've sauced, and not sauced, and won both ways. Good cooking and a good palate in finishing matter more than saucing or not.

Sawdustguy
12-24-2012, 09:25 AM
I think we have lost track of what BBQ used to be and it surely wasn't all about the sauce. Its up to us as competitors to try to make the change.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Who cares what BBQ used to be. When you compete you are trying to win, not teach the Judges a lesson on how it used to be. How do you propose to change someone's mind on what they like and don't like?

ZBucket
12-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Au jus with 5-10% sauce makes a nice blend