PDA

View Full Version : Waffle House - A Must for BBQ Road Trips.

neuyawk
12-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Wrote about a BBQ roadstop on my BLOG (http://arrogantswine.com/2012/12/21/bbq-roadtrip-interlude-waffle-house-macon-georgia/#)

Some fun facts :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Opened since 1955 and have sold almost 900 Million waffles and over 2.5 Billion eggs
You can have your very own White Trash wedding at your local waffle house location. The rings of course come on a bed of waffles.
Urban Dictionary actually uses Waffle House as an adjective - When an activity or situation transcends being raunchy or disgusting.
The Waffle House is legendary for staying open through the worst of disasters. So much so that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) actually has a “Waffle House Index”. There’s different levels of affect but if your Waffle House is closed, it means the storm is huge and you are officially screwed.
The Austin, Texas Waffle House has 4 stars on Yelp. Which makes it only half a star away from the $400 a person Per Se restaurant in New York.
The President, Executives, and all managers are required to work at least one third shift a month at waffle house. So it’s likely there’s a chance that the CEO is at your waffle house frying you an egg.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
12-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Best grits I have had yet were in a new Waffle House in NW Maryland.

BigWhit
12-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Had the ribeye, 2 eggs over easy, toast, and grits for lunch today at WH. It was the first time I had eaten at WH in a long time. I'd give it 4 stars on Yelp. Better than some places I've eaten at 3 times the price.

bbqbull
12-21-2012, 05:34 PM
None in our area but ate at one outside of Indy last fall headed to the A. Royal.
Food was excellent IMHO!!!

Mdboatbum
12-28-2012, 12:50 PM
First encountered WH on a marathon trip to the keys in 1991. 3 guys in a Jeep, 22 hours straight through. We must've stopped at 4 or 5 Waffle Houses along the way. For years afterwards, any disagreement was settled by threats of "The hashbrown treatment". Basically, the usual progression was something like:
"You jerk, you took the last piece of pizza"
"So what, it was mine, you've already had 3"
"I have not!! I'm gonna scatter, splatter, and smother you for that!"

Yeah, it was pretty juvenile, but fun.
By the way, there is an app available for finding the nearest Waffle House. Also, on my old Garmin GPS, I had it set so that whenever we passed within a mile of a WH, you'd hear Homer Simpson saying "mmmm waffles" and it would give you the option to navigate to it.

cameraman
12-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Hashbrowns scattered and smothered with two over easy is bliss. Cut into the egg and let the yolky goodness run down through the potatoes. More often than not the staff is as friendly as can be too.

neuyawk
12-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Hashbrowns scattered and smothered with two over easy is bliss. Cut into the egg and let the yolky goodness run down through the potatoes. More often than not the staff is as friendly as can be too.

Really nothing than can't be improved by yolky goodness! :thumb:

mytmouz
12-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Sadly, all the local Waffle Houses are not very good. Rarely do i get my order correct. I give it the sad look, and the wait staff will say something must not be right. I eat it anyway and when I pay, they always say 'sorry it was not right". I always reply "It's Waffle House, I didn't expect much"... lol.

Oh, and worst grits ever to boot...

caseydog
12-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Waffle House is a great "morning after" breakfast joint. Pull 2 sausage. Drop one hashbrowns. Triple scramble plate. That's my order. :becky:

CD

Cloudsmoker
12-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Raisin plate, over medium, smothered and covered.
Then again, sometimes I'll splurge and go for the country ham.

colonel00
12-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Ugh, Awful House

To be fair, I am probably jaded since we have them all around here and probably eaten too much at the wrong time of day (read: late at night) and it only added to the discomfort the next day. Decent food I guess and have them make cheesy grits for you.

caseydog
12-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Ugh, Awful House

To be fair, I am probably jaded since we have them all around here and probably eaten too much at the wrong time of day (read: late at night) and it only added to the discomfort the next day. Decent food I guess and have them make cheesy grits for you.

I stick to the basics. Scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausage and toast. They do that as well, or better, than anyone else.

CD

cameraman
12-28-2012, 10:55 PM
There's a lot to be said for a pecan waffle.

deguerre
12-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Def in the top 10 hangover joints.

PatAttack
12-29-2012, 11:06 AM
First place I went after getting home from the big sandbox!

Wrench_H
01-07-2013, 02:52 PM
I've probably been there 30 times, mostly in high school and college...I've never been there sober or outside of the 2-5 am window when my courage was highest.

Just BS
01-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Not one mention of "Chicken & Waffles"???

WineMaster
01-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Heading down to Miami in a few months for a cruise. Were driving so we can hit a couple of spots on the way so i'm hoping to hit one soon.

neuyawk
01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Were driving so we can hit a couple of spots on the way so i'm hoping to hit one soon.

If you get my usual order - the "country" hash, make sure the wife is driving. need a nice nap after than thing.