PDA

View Full Version : Firin' up the Fox 2013

FirinUpTheFox
12-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Thank you all who participated in our 2012 Firin' Up the Fox Event.

We are busy working to ensure that we can hold our second annual event in 2013.

Saving you from all of the politics, the organization that was running St. Charles Riverfest (Pride of the Fox), and was going to run the 2013 event, has dissolved and we are actively looking to partner with another organization to support our event as a stand alone contest.

Those discussions are underway and once finalized, we'll get sanctioning and formally begin accepting applications. We are now targeting the weekend of July 5-7, 2013 and as part of the discussions, I would love to be able to show the organizations that we are talking with how much interest there is in our contest.

Please take a moment to fill out our survey, if you think you might compete in our contest on July 5-7, 2013 in either the KCBS, Amateur, or Kids Q competition. I can use these results to show these organizations how successful we can be.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/78BGNST

Thanks

Kevin - Firin' Up the Fox

Scottie
12-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Good luck Kevin. We had a awesome time at it!

FirinUpTheFox
12-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks Scottie for your support

Scottie
12-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Bring back those jumping dogs!!!

bogyo1981
12-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Very awesome contest. One of the best run contest especially for being a first year event.

cmohr74
12-14-2012, 07:54 PM
As my first KCBS Contest, I had a blast. Some pretty serious competition, but well put together. Thanks for all the hard work Kevin.

ITBFQ
01-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Hoping to compete in the amateur part of the contest this year. Just filled out the survey.

Ron_L
01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
What's the status of this, Kevin? The Sam's Local in Madison is on July 5 & 6 and we're signed up for that along with several other Chicago area teams.

Coz
01-16-2013, 08:01 PM
If you get a weekend that doesnt coincide with an existing contest we may be interested .

daveinwestmont
01-16-2013, 08:30 PM
What's the status of this, Kevin? The Sam's Local in Madison is on July 5 & 6 and we're signed up for that along with several other Chicago area teams.

I agree with Ron, I'm scheduled for Madison but would really like to cook this event if held on another weekend. You should check out June....

Ron_L
01-16-2013, 08:55 PM
If you get a weekend that doesnt coincide with an existing contest we may be interested .

You would leave Wisconsin? :boink:

:becky:

Coz
01-17-2013, 05:07 PM
You would leave Wisconsin? :boink:

:becky:

You funny guy you . Just cause I havent made it to the homeland (YUP I am a FIB) doesnt mean I dont leave Wi. :blah::blah::blah: We have only cooked about 30 contests in our time give or take a few and off the top of my balding lil head I think 10 maybe 11 were out of state. I did judge Libertyville once ...that count ? I have wanted to cook libertyville but something usually comes up. Like its colder then crap :caked: With my non BBQ schedule doin any more is tuff. I will miss several Wi comps this year due to date changes vs prior commitments. Trying to figure where to make those up. May as well put one of our I Passes to work with the BBQ trailer. Ya dont have any extra sticky thingies for the window for those do ya ? Need to change one out for an april trip to Rockford .

Ron_L
01-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Ya dont have any extra sticky thingies for the window for those do ya ? Need to change one out for an april trip to Rockford .

I don't, but they'll send them to you. I think it's free. Or you can pick them up at a tollway oasis.

Coz
01-17-2013, 05:23 PM
I don't, but they'll send them to you. I think it's free. Or you can pick them up at a tollway oasis.

I will look at the website. I thought maybe we would throw one of our I passes in one of the others who are going down for the HOF thing.

Rich Parker
01-17-2013, 05:47 PM
I barely remember seeing Coz in Indiana one time. He might have been lost and asking for directions, but I believe he was there. :tongue:

Coz
01-17-2013, 06:43 PM
I barely remember seeing Coz in Indiana one time. He might have been lost and asking for directions, but I believe he was there. :tongue:

No Chit I was lost :shock::shock: I see those scores in my nitemares regularly . Good thing we werent at the fairgrounds that day!

sfisch
01-17-2013, 06:45 PM

I know he was in Kingsford, Michigan, got some of his money there!

Coz
01-17-2013, 06:49 PM
I know he was in Kingsford, Michigan, got some of his money there!

In more ways then one :wink:

SuperQue
01-17-2013, 06:58 PM
I emailed Laura about contest info this week. They still have to get permission for the festival first before the contest details will be known. The festival approval will be presented to the city board in a couple weeks. I doubt they would move the festival date to accommodate the contest imo. It would be a shame to lose this one so close to home. And a bitter pill for you Ron L since this is your backyard and you missed out on this last year too.

Stoke&Smoke
01-17-2013, 07:07 PM
I would love to do this one again. We had some distractions last year, but are look forward to a more normal run this year!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

billm
01-18-2013, 06:58 AM
Thank you all who participated in our 2012 Firin' Up the Fox Event.

We are busy working to ensure that we can hold our second annual event in 2013.

Saving you from all of the politics, the organization that was running St. Charles Riverfest (Pride of the Fox), and was going to run the 2013 event, has dissolved and we are actively looking to partner with another organization to support our event as a stand alone contest.

Those discussions are underway and once finalized, we'll get sanctioning and formally begin accepting applications. We are now targeting the weekend of July 5-7, 2013 and as part of the discussions, I would love to be able to show the organizations that we are talking with how much interest there is in our contest.

Please take a moment to fill out our survey, if you think you might compete in our contest on July 5-7, 2013 in either the KCBS, Amateur, or Kids Q competition. I can use these results to show these organizations how successful we can be.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/78BGNST

Thanks

Kevin - Firin' Up the Fox
id definately be interested if it does go standalone

Ron_L
01-18-2013, 08:43 AM
I emailed Laura about contest info this week. They still have to get permission for the festival first before the contest details will be known. The festival approval will be presented to the city board in a couple weeks. I doubt they would move the festival date to accommodate the contest imo. It would be a shame to lose this one so close to home. And a bitter pill for you Ron L since this is your backyard and you missed out on this last year too.

That would suck, but it's more of a bitter pill for the contest since several local teams are already committed to the Sam's event. It will mean fewer entries.

But, Kevin's post seems to indicate that they are looking at running the competition separate from the festival. If that's still the case then changing the competition dates wouldn't affect the festival at all.

FirinUpTheFox
01-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Riverfest overall is downsizing a bit after a large growth for the 30th Birthday Bash last year. The BBQ contest was almost too big for the festival, and we believe we can turn it into a prime stand alone event.

It was incredibly difficult to find a contest date that didn't have some level of competition from somewhere.

KCBS and several others coached us to consider this weekend, and so we did.

We're finalizing a few things in regards to entry forms, prices and prize money. Our plan is to give a pretty big bump to the prize money this year - details will be published well in advance. We want to compete at the same level as Westmont, Morton, and others. We should have all the details published in two weeks.

Information will be updated at www.firinupthefox.com first, and eventually make it's way to facebook at http://www.facebook.com/FirinUpTheFox

Our plan is to have this contest the first full weekend after the 4th of July going forward.

If you have any questions - I can be reached at info@firinupthefox.com

Kevin

SCSmoke
01-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Had a great time at the first contest. Unfortunately we can't cook that weekend either. Maybe next year.....

Ron_L
01-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Riverfest overall is downsizing a bit after a large growth for the 30th Birthday Bash last year. The BBQ contest was almost too big for the festival, and we believe we can turn it into a prime stand alone event.

It was incredibly difficult to find a contest date that didn't have some level of competition from somewhere.

KCBS and several others coached us to consider this weekend, and so we did.

We're finalizing a few things in regards to entry forms, prices and prize money. Our plan is to give a pretty big bump to the prize money this year - details will be published well in advance. We want to compete at the same level as Westmont, Morton, and others. We should have all the details published in two weeks.

Information will be updated at www.firinupthefox.com first, and eventually make it's way to facebook at http://www.facebook.com/FirinUpTheFox

Our plan is to have this contest the first full weekend after the 4th of July going forward.

If you have any questions - I can be reached at info@firinupthefox.com

Kevin

Good luck with the competition! Hopefully we'll be able to make it next year!

Stoke&Smoke
01-18-2013, 06:12 PM
We'll keep an eye out for details as we aren't doing SAMS

daveinwestmont
01-18-2013, 09:59 PM
We will look into this next year as well, we will be in Madison
that weekend.

Rich Parker
01-19-2013, 08:29 AM
With all of the locals at the Sam's I may need to come on down. :grin: Hopefully this fits in the schedule.

Pig Daddy
01-19-2013, 09:06 AM
Hey Kevin,

Although our team did terrible, we had a great time. I thought you all did a real fine job and if it were a different date, we would compete again in a second.

I do think part of the appeal was its location and ties to the festival. Have you thought about where you plan on hosting the new contest? This could very well impact public attendance, which may in turn impact your sponsorships, vendor booth sales and the kinds of income generating revenues that will help raise much needed cash - which you will need if it is to be a stand alone contest.

Not saying you are, but you should not rely solely on application fees to run it. Be careful with overhead - like insurance, security, waste management, outhouses, wash stations, electric, permitting fees, etc. These things are gonna cut into your income and unless you have an alternative source to application fees, it could make or break it.

As a stand alone contest - we've run a pretty successful event. We started as a small block party and have grown steady both qualitatively and quantitatively each year. Location is a major component to our success. Also having a dedicated, reliable committee is key. Slow and steady wins the race here.

I am more than willing to talk with you and help. Just let me know via PM.

Tom

FirinUpTheFox
01-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Thank you all for your feedback. We plan to continue to keep this a stand alone event, and appreciate all the insights. We also plan to publish dates sooner, so you can plan accordingly, and we'd love to have you. We've increased our prize pool significantly and it is posted on our website. http://www.firinupthefox.com.

The KCBS contest will be the weekend of July 5 & 6. The amateur contest will be July 7.

KCBS registration is open. You can save $50 by registering by March 2, 2013 and using the coupon code brethren2013.

http://firinupthefox-kcbs.eventbrite.com.

You can pay online or by check. If you want to pay by check, select other payment options, instead of Register when starting to register.

Scottie
01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
With all of the locals at the Sam's I may need to come on down. :grin: Hopefully this fits in the schedule.

See you there!!!! :twisted::twisted:

cmohr74
01-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Thank you all for your feedback. We plan to continue to keep this a stand alone event, and appreciate all the insights. We also plan to publish dates sooner, so you can plan accordingly, and we'd love to have you. We've increased our prize pool significantly and it is posted on our website. http://www.firinupthefox.com.

The KCBS contest will be the weekend of July 5 & 6. The amateur contest will be July 7.

KCBS registration is open. You can save $50 by registering by March 2, 2013 and using the coupon code brethren2013.

http://firinupthefox-kcbs.eventbrite.com.

You can pay online or by check. If you want to pay by check, select other payment options, instead of Register when starting to register.

Wondering if you could tell me about this $16.12 fee for signing up. I have never seen anything of the sorts. According to this Eventbrite, even if I send in a check, there's still a fee. Can you go into detail about this please.

Stoke&Smoke
01-28-2013, 11:15 AM
We're in, but I had a question also (besides Dan's above) What are you planning for water availability? Same as last year?

I would rather not travel with a full (90 gallon) water tank if we can avoid it. will it be possible to fill up there? I know last year it was a bit limited

ITBFQ
01-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Is there a Brethren discount for the amateur contest? Sorry - I don't want to come across as cheap, but I noticed there was for the KCBS contest. My momma always said that it doesn't hurt to ask!

FirinUpTheFox
01-28-2013, 03:48 PM
We will have water, but you may need to fill and carry. Details are still being determined.

Amateur discount code is brethren2013 - it is good until March 31, 2013

The fee is for the eventbrite registration service. If you send a check the fee is smaller.

Scottie
01-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Is there a registration form for mailing?

Thanks!

FirinUpTheFox
01-28-2013, 04:56 PM
We've chosen to use eventbrite as it provide a number of features:
- It consolidates all registration in one place
- Eliminates needing someone to rekey all the entry information
- Allows online payment
- simplifies communications leading up to the event
- Provides event management features during the event
- Provides analytics after the event

This does mean that we incur a service fee for eventbrite and a small credit card charge if you choose to pay by credit card.

If you select other payment methods and pay by check - you can mail me the check with your completed form. - There is no separate mail-in form.

If you have any questions - please let me know - info@firinupthefox.com

ITBFQ
02-04-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm all signed up for the amateur contest! Even though this is 6 months away, I am nervous!

FirinUpTheFox
02-06-2013, 04:26 PM
All - we've heard lots of feedback about our conflict with the Sams Club contest in WI, the same weekend.

I have until tomorrow to let KCBS know if we want to change the date - which we are considering as August 16, 17, 18. Would that date work better for everyone?

The following are tentatively on the same weekend.

Montana State BBQ Championships at Montana Fair*Billings, MT
Conifer Mountain BBQ Challenge*Conifer, CO
9th Annual Pepsi Wyoming State BBQ & Bluegrass Festival*Worland, WY
21st Annual State Barbeque Championship of Nebraska*LaPlatte, NE
Classic City BBQ Fest & Tailgate Show*Athens, GA
Hudson Valley Ribfest*New Paltz, NY
Stand By Your Grill*Fulton, MS
Sam's Club National BBQ Tour*Laurel, MD
Smokefest*Marshall, MN
Madison Ribberfest: Barbeque & Blues*Madison, IN
BBQ and Fly In on the River*Excelsior Springs, MO
Winnipeg Barbeque And Blues Festival*Winnipeg, Manitoba, CA

Stoke&Smoke
02-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Well, having already paid for it and scheduling time for 7/5, I don't want to cause a problem. But I'd rather not have back to backs with this and kenosha, or have to go back and reschedule vacation time. And if o can't reschedule, we'd need to back out, and expect a refund.

Just out of curiosity, how many folks, other than the 2 or 3 on this thread, have said they can't do this one because of a conflict with Sam's?

Have there been that many folks from last years event that wont come due to the Sam's event? I'm sure there are some, but enough to reschedule?

I want your event to be a success, because the more we have close to home the better. But you asked, so there's MHO

FirinUpTheFox
02-06-2013, 05:00 PM
I appreciate the honest feedback!

We want to allow as many as possible to attend -

I've had several (6-7) that have said they wanted to go but were cooking Sams.

I've put the question out in email as well - and we'll let you know what we decide based on feedback, and of course refunds would be coming if we change the date and you couldn't attend.

Stoke&Smoke
02-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Understood. And as an organizer you have to do what's best for your event!

SCSmoke
02-06-2013, 05:25 PM
We would be there if the dates change to August.

Ron_L
02-06-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm one who is already committed to the Sam's local in Madison, but the August dates wouldn't work for us either because we have family vacation the week before and wouldn't be home in time.

Scottie
02-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Im with Dann. Keep it the 4th weekend. If folks want to cook it, Mad city is a couple of hours away and they can do a double header. You will never make everyone happy. August is out for me...

Ron_L
02-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Im with Dann. Keep it the 4th weekend. If folks want to cook it, Mad city is a couple of hours away and they can do a double header. You will never make everyone happy. August is out for me...

One double header was enough for me :-D

But I agree, you can't make everyone happy, and we wouldn't be able to make it either date, so it don't matter to me :becky:

Stoke&Smoke
02-06-2013, 06:49 PM
I really also like the idea of the first full weekend after the 4th. Our village has a large picnic on the 4th every year. We've helped out for about 8 or so years now, and are kind of committed. But having this be the first full weekend after the 4th works for us as long as we can stand up to compete

We do a double header most years with Arthur and Libertyville....and that's enough for me.

Ron_L
02-06-2013, 08:07 PM
We do a double header most years with Arthur and Libertyville....and that's enough for me.

That's not a double header, that's back-to-back :) A double header is two in the same weekend, like the Evergreen Park Sam's Club on Friday-Saturday and then Willowbrook on Saturday-Sunday two years ago. Kicked my butt.

Stoke&Smoke
02-06-2013, 08:36 PM
OK...you got me. Still...1 back to back is enough. But now that you mention it...I remember Sam's and willowbrook. Double header with HUGE storms. Worse than back to back for sure!

daveinwestmont
02-06-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm in for August!!! Otherwise out for the 4th as I will be in Madison.

cmohr74
02-07-2013, 06:37 AM
I agree with Scottie and Ron, you won't be able to please everyone in trying to set the perfect date so everyone can be there. I know of the issues you are going through with getting this on it's own this year, but more advanced notice next year would allow others to set their schedule and they can choose around that with Sam's Club locals. There's 5 close locals to choose from. I believe it should stay on the weekend of July 4th. Moving it to August would not work for me.

FirinUpTheFox
02-07-2013, 07:23 AM
After much thought and discussion, and consultation with our KCBS Reps, and loads of great information from all of you, we are going to keep it on July 5 & 6 (KCBS), and July 7 (Amateurs & Kids Q).

Plans are to keep it the first full weekend after the 4th of July - so mark you calendars for 2014, and we will do everything we can not to change it next year.

Register for KCBS here - http://kcbs.firinupthefox.com
Register for Amateur here - http://www.firinupthefox.com/Amateur.html
Register as a judge here - http://judges.firinupthefox.com
And if you have a little kid who cooks better than you do (or not) - http://www.firinupthefox.com/Kids_Q.html

For those of you who are local - I know you'll be tired, either from our contest or Madison and the long drive home, but we would really appreciate :grin::grin::grin::grin: any of you who can judge the Amateur contest on Sunday. - you can register on the judges page. The amateurs really appreciate educated/experienced and consistent feedback.

Scottie
02-07-2013, 01:22 PM
How do we sign up with a check?

FirinUpTheFox
02-07-2013, 01:59 PM
To pay by Check -

Go the Eventbrite site (for KCBS - http://firinupthefox-kcbs.eventbrite.com/)
Enter your Promotion code brethren2013
Click "Show Other Payment Options"
Click the "Pay Offline" button.
Fill out the details -
Send me the check (details are provided in the form.)

Scottie
02-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks. I guess I didn't get far enough in the process.

FirinUpTheFox
02-12-2013, 11:17 PM
so this thread was kind of a "slow opening" if you are familiar with the restaurant term... - I'm a newbie here - can I post an official contest announcement thread or is this kind of it?

I don't know all the etiquette rules here yet.

Ron_L
02-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Either way. I can add the contest announcement title to this one or you can start a new one.

FirinUpTheFox
02-13-2013, 07:51 AM
I think I'll add a new one if that's ok... - double exposure won't hurt...

:)

FirinUpTheFox
02-19-2013, 09:18 AM
GREAT NEWS - the KCBS Board has met and finalized our sanctioning for 2013.

Sign-up today. http://kcbs.firinupthefox.com

FirinUpTheFox
02-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Availability of our promotional code brethren2013 to save $50 on registration ends March 1, 2013...

Don't forget about our Amateur Contests, and Kids' Q Contests....

FirinUpTheFox
02-23-2013, 03:43 PM

FirinUpTheFox
02-23-2013, 03:46 PM
....having internet connections problems in Washington DC Airport...