PDA

View Full Version : Farkin' Things at Smoqued

Just BS
12-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Finally getting around to writing my own review, after reading the review of the Chingadera's at Smoqued, I had to try 'em for myself. I knew I'd be driving by there, so I mapquested it, and stopped in on a Monday afternoon.

I had never been to the Historic Area of Orange, CA and was pleasantly surprised. It is a quaint little artsy fartsy district with a bunch of small shops and restaurants. Smoqued has a classic BBQ feel when you walk in brick walls and burnt planks adorning the walls. I'm not sure if that description does it justice, but I liked it.

I sat at the bar, where they have a great selection of micro brews all from California. They didn't have a porter at the time and the bar maid was attractive and knowledgeable about beers. I went about sampling a few different beers before choosing a Brown Ale.

But I had come to sample the Chingadera's, which I had never had before. For those that haven't read the other review, it is a jalapeņo, stuffed w/cream cheese, shrimp, wrapped w/bacon, smoked and then battered and deep fried (hope I didn't forget anything) and served with a sweet & spicy sauce. Let me tell you, it didn't disappoint. the guy sitting next to me asked what was I having after I said "amazing" out loud to no one in particular.

I had posted up in the other thread that I "was here" and the owner (fellow Brethren) Ryan came out to meet me and say hi. It was cool talking to him about the ins & outs of opening a BBQ Joint as I know we all have that secret ambition. Ryan had the guts to do and it looks like he is being successful at it.

Anyways, I didn't want to get stuck in the afternoon commute, so I ordered a rack of ribs for the MNF game and headed home. They were tasty and cooked perfectly.

If any of you fellow Brethrens want to try the place, let me know. He has a couple of other things on the menu that I want to try, like the 420 Mac n cheese and the 2 pound monster burger, and I'll be more than happy to meet ya there.

gtr
12-10-2012, 12:35 PM
I really hope to get a few days off over the holidays and ubetchuraszz I'll be heading down there. I'll holler!

Ryan Chester
12-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks for stopping by. It was nice to meet you. Glad you enjoyed the grub too!

martyleach
12-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm really hoping to make it down there soon! The pictures of the food is just killing me....