PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Club National BBQ Tour - 2013

Rich Parker
12-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Looks like we will get the low down for 2013 in a couple of weeks.

From KCBS FB page:
We will be announcing the schedule, rules and registration process for the 2013 Sam's Club National BBQ Tour on Dec. 19. Stay tuned!

Any rumors out there if they are changing it up at all? I sure hope MI is represented.

Butcher BBQ
12-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I was told the regional locations will change.

Coz
12-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Looks like we will get the low down for 2013 in a couple of weeks.

From KCBS FB page:

Any rumors out there if they are changing it up at all? I sure hope MI is represented.

Wonder if they look at the team numbers at the events . 3 of the 5 in our region filled up with healthy wait lists ,the other 2 came up short .But I think reading somewhere thats not so much a factor as is where their business competitors are located?

Fat Freddy
12-08-2012, 03:43 PM
i am looking forward to the location announcements. I am already planning next years limited comp schedule and have been holding off until I heard more about Sams before I got very serious in planning.

SuperQue
12-08-2012, 04:39 PM
It's marked on my calendar

Rich Parker
12-08-2012, 05:13 PM
I have always been surprised that they don't advertise the local events and their business always increases with us in the parking lot.

ThomEmery
12-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Maybe the Northwest gets a date? maybe

que_dawg
12-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Can't say that I find the Sam's club contest worth the trouble. You guys must have been to a different contest than I went to, it was one of the worst run contests I have attended. They won't be getting me back anytime soon.

CBQ
12-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Can't say that I find the Sam's club contest worth the trouble. You guys must have been to a different contest than I went to, it was one of the worst run contests I have attended. They won't be getting me back anytime soon.

Really? I did 3 last year, and they were all well run. The organizer (Troy Black) is also a competitor, he knows how teams think. The only thing that would be nice is running water, but they can't pull that off at all the stores.

The 10 grand we won didn't hurt either. :becky:

cdkeach
12-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Really? I did 3 last year, and they were all well run. The organizer (Troy Black) is also a competitor, he knows how teams think. The only thing that would be nice is running water, but they can't pull that off at all the stores.

I suspect that teams in the SE are spoiled by very high quality contests with some of the best organizers around. The bar gets set pretty high here

CBQ
12-09-2012, 09:25 AM
I have always been surprised that they don't advertise the local events and their business always increases with us in the parking lot.

They do limited local advertising, but generally only in the target clubs and local radio ads. They aren't set up to handle 20,000 people showing up. We were told they get a 25-30% bump in sales the weekend of the event, and increased club members, which is why it's a good deal for Sam's.

High payouts for us, better sales for them, sounds like a win-win which is why they keep doing it.

Rich Parker
12-09-2012, 10:30 AM
They do limited local advertising, but generally only in the target clubs and local radio ads. They aren't set up to handle 20,000 people showing up. We were told they get a 25-30% bump in sales the weekend of the event, and increased club members, which is why it's a good deal for Sam's.

High payouts for us, better sales for them, sounds like a win-win which is why they keep doing it.

Troy told us about the big bump in sales, and I am sure that is way more than $10k.

The first year was more organized than last year and to be honest we have had crappy power both years, but I like the structure of the competition and will definitely do it again.

DawgPhan
12-09-2012, 07:54 PM
the only thing I wish they would change would be finding 24 judges who really like our food.

Slamdunkpro
12-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I'd like to see them shuffle the timing of the regions a little so our region isn't stuck with the Sam's events after the cutoff for the Royal again.

nukenight
12-09-2012, 09:12 PM
I hope they balance the contests out better in terms of location. Regionals need to be near the center of the geographic area they represent, not near one edge, where some winners have to travel long distance. The whole country also needs to be covered. Sam's also needs to provide water for cook teams. Paying $250 for a contest with no water is a bit extreme. By the way, why does Sam's and KCBS need to keep a team's registration money for several months before a given event? They need to figure out a way for cooks to keep their money longer. I really don't want to give KCBS a loan for 3-6 months. Finally, I think they should better distribute the prize money for the regionals and pay down more places in the categories. Top loading the prizes means a very few teams make money when they compete. Paying down more places means more cooks who travel a long way get some money. In this era of a poor economy, cooks need all the help they can get.

que_dawg
12-10-2012, 07:21 AM

I think your glasses are fogged by the $$$ in front of them. :-D Mine probably would be too, if I won 10 grand! Congrats on that.

I just feel like of all of the contests that I have cooked, it's the Sam's contests that lacks. I feel like the best run contests are contests that are run by local organizers that actually have ties to the communities their contest is benefitting. The Sam's organizers are just in another city and are only worried about getting to the next stop. Lot's of details get overlooked when that is the case. It's only my opinion...

DawgPhan
12-10-2012, 08:25 AM
I hope they balance the contests out better in terms of location. Regionals need to be near the center of the geographic area they represent, not near one edge, where some winners have to travel long distance. The whole country also needs to be covered. Sam's also needs to provide water for cook teams. Paying $250 for a contest with no water is a bit extreme. By the way, why does Sam's and KCBS need to keep a team's registration money for several months before a given event? They need to figure out a way for cooks to keep their money longer. I really don't want to give KCBS a loan for 3-6 months. Finally, I think they should better distribute the prize money for the regionals and pay down more places in the categories. Top loading the prizes means a very few teams make money when they compete. Paying down more places means more cooks who travel a long way get some money. In this era of a poor economy, cooks need all the help they can get.

They pay the top so the top can afford to travel. I get that and it makes sense to me. I would like to see deeper payouts, but this contest has a valid reason to pay all the money to the top 6.

Pigs on Fire
12-10-2012, 01:16 PM
The only thing that would be nice is running water, but they can't pull that off at all the stores.

Why couldn't they? Are you telling me the World's Largest Retailer can't afford to pay the local water authority a small fee for a 2" or 3" water meter hooked to a fire hydrant close by and run some temporary piping to the teams? They could even have this to where it was able to be broken down and put on their traveling circus trucks.

It wouldn't be THAT expensive to do. In fact, it's done all the time at other types of events, all across the country.

3" meter feeding a few manifolds with 1" pex going to a smaller manifold that fed 4 teams each? That's 8 runs of 1" pex (7 for the Marietta GA contest...they've not had more than 28 teams yet)...

Yes, it would take a couple of hours to set up and dismantle.

dmprantz
12-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Your point is well taken, but personally, as a firefighter, I would be just slightly unhappy if a decision was made to essentially disable the hydrant closest to 30+ wood/charcoal fires and who knows how many propane tanks and appliances.

dmp

EMTTLC
12-10-2012, 02:51 PM
A hydrant wrench and 45 seconds puts the hydrant back in service. Not too big a deal. Water is absolutely the biggest negative to the Sam's Club events.

RangerJ
12-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Water.. seriously?

a limited amount of teams with a decent sized prize pot at every event and the fact that water is nearby vs at your personal site or closer than 100 yards and this is folks biggest complaint?

To quote ESPN.. C'mon Man.

RangerJ
12-10-2012, 03:08 PM

No one is going to be happy about the amount of distance they have to drive, its a big country we live in and what is close for some across a multi state region will always be further for others. I was not happy to drive from Houston to St. Louis this year, but last year the Regional was in Dallas much closer to me, problem was I did not make the cut.

So, you've never paid in advance to enter a contest? Regardless of the price $250 or $100, in your terms your loaning out that money.

DawgPhan
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Water.. seriously?

a limited amount of teams with a decent sized prize pot at every event and the fact that water is nearby vs at your personal site or closer than 100 yards and this is folks biggest complaint?

To quote ESPN.. C'mon Man.

no one said it wasnt nit picking, but in GA water and power at your site are standard fare. Sams is the only KCBS in GA where water and power aren't right there....that I know of. I am sure someone will correct me.

I think that there are some mild sanitation issues with not having running water, but nothing major.

RangerJ
12-10-2012, 03:35 PM
no one said it wasnt nit picking, but in GA water and power at your site are standard fare. Sams is the only KCBS in GA where water and power aren't right there....that I know of. I am sure someone will correct me.

I think that there are some mild sanitation issues with not having running water, but nothing major.

When I was living out west, this was the standard as well. Now that I'm back in Texas, many of them are no water or power...

So, to have a spigot within shopping cart distance, I'm in heaven! Its all perspective I suppose.

HawgNationBBQ
12-10-2012, 04:41 PM
The organizer (Troy Black) is also a competitor, he knows how teams think.

To me, they were the best run events I have ever attended.

Pigs on Fire
12-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Your point is well taken, but personally, as a firefighter, I would be just slightly unhappy if a decision was made to essentially disable the hydrant closest to 30+ wood/charcoal fires and who knows how many propane tanks and appliances.

dmp

There's usually 2 or 3 hose outlet nozzles on a hydrant, least the ones I see are. I have never seen all three nozzles with a hose hooked to each during a fire. I'm not positive, but I suspect there's more than 3 hydrants close by the perimeter of any Sam's parking lot at any given location in the US.

We won't include the FDC that is at the building.

As someone stated earlier, if the hydrant being used for the potable water supply to the contestants were needed, the firefighter could spin the operating nut around to close the valve before taking off the other nozzle caps, then turn the hydrant back on.

If you want to talk about safety, it *might* be somewhat productive to have some running water that is located convenient to the teams should an uncontrolled fire occur.

Yeah, we've kinda got use to that runnin' water thing down here in the South. Makes washing out the outhouses quicker than hauling a bucket from the well.

Pigs on Fire
12-10-2012, 05:15 PM
To me, they were the best run events I have ever attended.

I guess we are spoiled down here...not that we didn't know it.

dmprantz
12-10-2012, 07:31 PM
There's usually 2 or 3 hose outlet nozzles on a hydrant, least the ones I see are. I have never seen all three nozzles with a hose hooked to each during a fire....As someone stated earlier, if the hydrant being used for the potable water supply to the contestants were needed, the firefighter could spin the operating nut around to close the valve before taking off the other nozzle caps, then turn the hydrant back on.

In order to use one of the other nozzles, you either have to install a manifold on it before you turn the hydrant on, or you have to turn the hydrant all the way off, unscrew the other cap, and then turn it back on. It's not the hardest thing in the world, but you have to turn a hydrant wrench a lot more than a quarter turn to turn it off and back on (I think it's 17 turns each way). It might add two minutes to how long it takes. Personally, if you're going to do this, I'd want a manifold with a gate valve on the LD nozzle. Maybe these are just the details to work through, but it's a little bit more than just calling up the PWU. There's also usually 500+ gallons in the pumper, but why put yourself at risk so teams don't have to use shopping carts?

We won't include the FDC that is at the building.

My understanding of FDC is that they are empty pipes that allow us to pump water into the building. Without a hydrant, it's useless, so it's a good thing that we won't include it.

I'm not an the most experienced fire-fighter, and I know I'm not the only one on the forum, but personally, when we're talking about many acutal live fires and propane tanks in a concentrated area, I think anything that can potentially add minutes to how soon I can get water on one of those fires would be a bad thing. If I were a store Manager or Sam's Corporate, it would be a cold day before I let some one do something that could put my store at risk, and at home, and if some one uses a hydrant like that near my house without a safety setup, I'd be calling the police. There's no telling what ISO would say to that and what, if anything, it would do to your insurance were there an actual fire. If you're more confortable with it than I am, good for you, but that's my opinion.

dmp

djqualls
12-10-2012, 09:16 PM
The two I attended were top notch in organization and power was as presented, 20 amps and bring 100' of cord. As for water the water location was a garden hose hydrant on the side of the building and shopping carts were readily available to haul whatever you needed.. The grease and ash was a little distant but that's OK as well because we are in a working parking lot.

My main suggestion would to be to somewhat screen the judges and not take the first to signup. I think that's where it was most lacking was in the strength of numbers of judges.

I didn't make it out of regionals but I know why and it was rookie mistakes that did it.

I didn't like having my local in March and my regional in September and then an 8 hour drive to regionals but I think Sam's makes that call and its their money and their contest!
I think I will be better benefitted if my local if farther and my regional is closer to home. (hint hint. Contest Organizers) but I plan to enter and hope that I can get signed up for a local in my region before it fills up otherwise I'm miles away for the whole run.

jbrink01
12-10-2012, 10:29 PM
No water? No power? No problem, I'm still there.

Slamdunkpro
12-10-2012, 10:35 PM
My main suggestion would to be to somewhat screen the judges and not take the first to signup. I think that's where it was most lacking was in the strength of numbers of judges.
This, maybe don't open judge's registration until 60 days prior to the event.

Rookie'48
12-10-2012, 11:02 PM
This, maybe don't open judge's registration until 60 days prior to the event.

One problem with that is that most other contests will fill up for judges at least 90 days out. If I'm making out my judging schedule in January or February I'm not going to put a "hold" on a weekend just in case I can get into one contest. If I "hold" that weekend and don't make the cut I've lost out on that contest and probably another one that is now booked solid.

CBQ
12-10-2012, 11:03 PM
OK, I didn't mean to start a big dicussion about water. :tape: I only brought it up because it was the only minor thing I could complain about. Everything else was as it should be, and we will enter again next year.

Pigs on Fire
12-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Bottom line....

There's obviously something wrong at the one near here. Two years running and they haven't been able to fill the 30-slot team list yet. This is in an area where you have no problem getting 40 teams to show up to a $7500 contest with no hopes of advancing to a 2nd and 3rd contest where larger payouts are available.

And the time of year nor weather conditions are the problem. There is a contest just 10 minutes from the Marietta Sam's location where they had 52 teams there this year with a $7500 purse. On a parking lot, in August with generator power. It's heralded as one of the best contests around.

Rich Parker
12-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Bottom line....

There's obviously something wrong at the one near here. Two years running and they haven't been able to fill the 30-slot team list yet. This is in an area where you have no problem getting 40 teams to show up to a $7500 contest with no hopes of advancing to a 2nd and 3rd contest where larger payouts are available.

And the time of year nor weather conditions are the problem. There is a contest just 10 minutes from the Marietta Sam's location where they had 52 teams there this year with a $7500 purse. On a parking lot, in August with generator power. It's heralded as one of the best contests around.

You will see a lot of the events with the number of teams hovering around high 20's because of the signup process and teams pulling out the last minute and it just isn't feasible for the teams on the waiting list to make it. If they didn't have a 30 team cap these events would pull a lot higher numbers.

I agree the water situation sucks as there is only one other event in MI that doesn't have water and the complaining about it is huge. But I would rather go without easy access to water to compete in their event with the chance of moving on before I go to another with easy access to water.

wmaes47
12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I have seen the use of fire hydrant water in various areas of Colorado by application for "Water Use Fire Hydrant Permit" to each jurisdiction...

This unit could be purchased by Sam's Club, then shipped to each event, where water is needed...

Fire Hydrant Water Metering (http://www.mastermeter.com/en/Fire-Hydrant.html)

dmprantz
12-11-2012, 12:55 PM
You guys are right. Hydrants can be cycled with the correct equipment. Pumpers have tanks. Worst case, it might only delay or interrupt water by a minute or three, and the fire couldn't do too much damaage in that time. It might even speed things up since commercial fire hydrants are often rendered temporarily unusable by decorative shrubs. I was just being protective of suppression tools. Most importantly, I don't even think I'll be at any Sam's Club events in 2013. Sorry causing a ruckus.

dmp

hogzgonewild
12-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Maybe it's because we are spoiled here in GA, maybe it's because I'm picky, maybe it's something else, but we did the Sam's Club competition in Marietta in 2012, and unless there are 29 newbie teams signed up this year and one spot left....you won't catch me at another one.

To me, Troy Black came off as a pompous, holier than thou organizer who came in on a bus with two reps who couldn't have cared less. They were in it for the $$ and advertising, not for putting on a good contest or caring about the teams. And I am generally a mild mannered, southern gentleman, not one to speak my mind.

When we pulled in, I asked 6-7 people working the event about who was pulling teams in, and nobody could point me in the right direction. I waited for 20 minutes in my car with my trailer attached, and couldn't get an answer, so I pulled into a 10'X20' open space between the last competitor on a row and the cones. Troy decided to run his mouth and make me move over 10 feet to prove his point, only to come back 3 hours later after we were fully unpacked, and tell me I could have the other 10 feet.

Couple that with the 200 yard walk to get buckets of water, judges reporting entry numbers hitting their tables more than twice, and Troy taking off before awards, leaving the reps to do the job.....and you have one crappy competition.

Pig Headed
12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Maybe it's because we are spoiled here in GA, maybe it's because I'm picky, maybe it's something else, but we did the Sam's Club competition in Marietta in 2012, and unless there are 29 newbie teams signed up this year and one spot left....you won't catch me at another one.

To me, Troy Black came off as a pompous, holier than thou organizer who came in on a bus with two reps who couldn't have cared less. They were in it for the $$ and advertising, not for putting on a good contest or caring about the teams. And I am generally a mild mannered, southern gentleman, not one to speak my mind.

When we pulled in, I asked 6-7 people working the event about who was pulling teams in, and nobody could point me in the right direction. I waited for 20 minutes in my car with my trailer attached, and couldn't get an answer, so I pulled into a 10'X20' open space between the last competitor on a row and the cones. Troy decided to run his mouth and make me move over 10 feet to prove his point, only to come back 3 hours later after we were fully unpacked, and tell me I could have the other 10 feet.

Couple that with the 200 yard walk to get buckets of water, judges reporting entry numbers hitting their tables more than twice, and Troy taking off before awards, leaving the reps to do the job.....and you have one crappy competition.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I have to say that we had just the opposite experience at both the local and regional. Very well run and no issues except our entries:twisted:. The water run just gave us a chance to visit other teams along the way. Hope this years events aren't too far away, we look forward to going again. Both Troy and the reps did a great job in our eyes. Have never had award ceremonies earlier than expected before, and we liked the whole experience.

Wrench_H
12-11-2012, 02:15 PM
hogzgonewild, I got a very similar feeling about Troy Black. He wasn't even there when we got there on Friday afternoon. Once he did get there, he came around long enough to tell us that we could park in our spot after sending an email saying we couldn't. About an hour later, he came back and said we needed to move our car. Luckily it rained, so he got in his little trailer and left for the night without any mention of the fact that he was cancelling the "mandatory" cooks meeting. He showed back up the next morning around 8 and evidently had a cook's meeting that we weren't told about. Around 10:00, he comes around with 2 middle aged redneck chicks and opens both of my Traegers, both the food chamber and the hopper box long enough to show them how they work. I'm standing 5 feet away from him in disbelief and he never says a word to me. I'm originally from near Greensboro, so I had a few friends come up and we had cooked lots of extra food to feed them. He comes by and basically talks to me like a 5 year old telling me I can't feed the public. I explain that they are my friends, and he loses it trying to find something else that I am doing wrong. He then sees my wife's uncle with a beer and tells me he is going to kick me out of the contest if he doesn't throw it out immediately. Sorry for the rant, but it drives me nuts when people talk about how great this guy is and how he is an ambassador for BBQ. Its no skin of anyone's back but my own, but I won't be doing another Sam's club event until he is no longer associated with it.

pat
12-11-2012, 02:28 PM
He then sees my wife's uncle with a beer and tells me he is going to kick me out of the contest if he doesn't throw it out immediately. Sorry for the rant, but it drives me nuts when people talk about how great this guy is and how he is an ambassador for BBQ.

Had a very similar situation with TB at the local I entered. He's a tool.

Pigs on Fire
12-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Now ya'll come out of the woodwork?

:razz:

But, but, but but....Sam's is the best contest we do every year.

The ONLY thing the Sam's Club series is doing is bringing in some decent money for Competition BBQ. They are acting as their usual King-of-the-Hill, My-way-or-the-highway self in the process.

Another large retailer WILL come along and give them some competition for a series with $$$. The folks in the boardrooms just have to find out about BBQ first.

dmprantz
12-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Another large retailer WILL come along and give them some competition for a series with $$$. The folks in the boardrooms just have to find out about BBQ first.

You've talked about this before. How do you see it happening? Will some one else come to KCBS, and they'll have two big retail-sponsored series? Do you think KCBS can do more than one and promote them equally? Will the retailer go to another sanctioning body? Is any one else capable of putting on a series that includes more than 3 or 4 states? Judges is an issue. Will the retailer self-sanction and do it by their own rules? Would any one want to compete in that? Again, how would they get judges? Do you think that they'll be single events or more regionally oriented? I'd definitely love for there to be other series out there, and you seem convinced that it will happen. I'd love to know the how of it.

dmp

Slamdunkpro
12-11-2012, 05:32 PM
...... and we liked the whole experience.
I could have done without the 15 minutes immediately following awards.:razz:

arrowhead
12-11-2012, 06:35 PM
You've talked about this before. How do you see it happening? Will some one else come to KCBS, and they'll have two big retail-sponsored series? Do you think KCBS can do more than one and promote them equally? Will the retailer go to another sanctioning body? Is any one else capable of putting on a series that includes more than 3 or 4 states? Judges is an issue. Will the retailer self-sanction and do it by their own rules? Would any one want to compete in that? Again, how would they get judges? Do you think that they'll be single events or more regionally oriented? I'd definitely love for there to be other series out there, and you seem convinced that it will happen. I'd love to know the how of it.

dmp

i don't think they would use judges. their pr folks probably frequent this board and figure they aren't worth the trouble. they would just pull folks in from the street.

Pig Headed
12-12-2012, 05:32 AM
I could have done without the 15 minutes immediately following awards.:razz:

We were thankful that they moved the awards up a 1/2 hour and sped through them. It was very good timing as we were heading out of the lot when the skies opened up. Driving was a bit dicey on the way home for awhile.

que_dawg
12-12-2012, 06:46 AM

^^^ Probably because you didn't arrive with a 5th wheel or fancy trailer. The little guys like us that make up 90% of the BBQ teams out there that only pull a utility trailer and a pop up are 2nd class citizens to these guys. Though, I hear that may be changing for you soon. I hear you are moving up in the world. I hope you will still let me cook near you this season. :icon_smile_tongue:

NRA4Life
12-12-2012, 07:15 AM
I thought all the Sam's events that I attended were very well organized by Troy. The fact that there were so few problems in this 31 event tournament says a lot about how well organized it is. That is a lot of organizing and responsibility for 1 person. I'm a 1-man team, and I asked ahead of time if they'd let me park right next to my trailer since I have stuff that I keep in my truck, and they worked with me on that. I think anyone who attended one of these knows what the red cups are for. It is stated that Sam's has zero tolerance for alcohol on their property and if open containers are/were witnessed, that falls under the zero tolerance policy. It's the head cook's responsibility to ensure anyone with them uses the red cup advice. I can't complain about the competition opportunities Sam's club has provided, and I think they have been good for competition BBQ overall. Definitely looking forward to their 2013 competitions.

timzcardz
12-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Had a very similar situation with TB at the local I entered. He's a tool.

So, then I presume that you found him handy to have when something needed fixing.

cpw
12-12-2012, 08:10 AM
And here I was looking forward to signing up for our first one this year. With all this negative feedback, I'm having second thoughts.

Rich Parker
12-12-2012, 08:16 AM
And here I was looking forward to signing up for our first one this year. With all this negative feedback, I'm having second thoughts.

Haha... You can't believe everything you read on the internet. Like everything else in life not everyone is going to agree.

rexbbq
12-12-2012, 08:26 AM
I thought it was pretty well organized. The fact that there was no running water was not really a problem. They give you handy dandy shopping carts. Plus the store being open was nice. Run in grab some chips, a Nathan's hot dog and use a nice bathroom. I would sign up again.

SCSmoke
12-12-2012, 08:27 AM

I would let any of this effect your decision. Sure we had some problems with power and its sort of hassle to get water. The payouts and opportunity to compete in a tournament format are great. And its not like any of these problems can't or don't happen at any other contest.

cpw
12-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Haha... You can't believe everything you read on the internet. Like everything else in life not everyone is going to agree.

One of my teammates helped another team at the Charleston contest. His only real complaint was the lack of water, but it was easily fixed by some 5 gallon buckets and a shopping cart.

Wrench_H
12-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Stated perfectly Rich. As much as that guy rubbed me the wrong way, I would assume that there are plenty of people that like him. I would guess that this could be true about all of us. Don't let my words discourage you from doing the competition.

Rich Parker
12-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Stated perfectly Rich. As much as that guy rubbed me the wrong way, I would assume that there are plenty of people that like him. I would guess that this could be true about all of us. Don't let my words discourage you from doing the competition.

He wasn't the nicest to us either last year and I would probably feel different if I had your experience but the bottom line for me is the actual contest format that keeps me going back regardless of the organizer.

Scottie
12-12-2012, 12:08 PM
I could care less if the organizer is a tool. I personally consider Troy a friend and I realize that he is basically doing this by himself and an assistant. I have some minor tweaks to the series, but nothing huge. I do have a major problem with the judging. It has nothing to do with me not advancing at the contests. I realize that some days you are king and other days you are a chump. BUT after 2 years of judging inconsistencies, I am not sure I want to go back. I cook and have cooked a ton of contests. For me to receive a 4 in appearance and get beat by some idiot that looks like he put his meat in his box with a blender tells me something. (For the guys in MI they know who I am talking about and yes i saw his pictures of his turn ins.. I cant compete as much as I do if i am turning in 4 and 5's for appearances scores.) That tells me there is a TON of the judges are brand new off the street.

JD McGee
12-12-2012, 01:25 PM
We're just happy to have a local this year in our neck of the woods (rumor has it). Not sure if we are gonna be able to cook it though. We are planning on staying close to home after all the miles we logged last year.

bearnakedbbq
12-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I am hoping to enter the event this year again.

Had fun last year, logistics is a pain in the ass. I missed the finals by 6 points. Took 1st in ribs in Vegas and 27th in Albuquerque with the same set up (in fact I liked the 27th place ribs better than the 1st place ones.) but what do I know.

As far as Troy goes, he worked hard for all of us competitors and I’m disappointed in the bashing going on here. Don’t like him then don’t attend his events. Its that simple.

I am going to try and sign up for the one that is near the SEA and bring a boTTLE.

I also think the regional final will be in Vegas!!!! Can't go wrong with that!

Troy

Rookie'48
12-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Here's my take on the Sam's contests.

Overall I'm very happy with them!

Last year I judged Westworth Village, Texas and Midwest City, Oklahoma and I pit beotched for Slabs of Approval in Lenexa, Kansas. The year before I judged the one in Overland Park, Kansas. This year I will try my best to be involved with at least one of the Sam's Club contests.

Why? Because I think that the contests are well run on the whole. Year two was better than year one (with the exception of the sign-up SNAFU, which wasn't run by Sam's) and I'm expecting year three to be even better. Another reason is that three years ago Sam's Club dropped a bunch of money into a brand new BBQ tournament style format that no one was sure was going to work out. It looks like the format worked out pretty well :-D.

Personally I have my favorite contests that I will do my best to get into. I also have some (very few) contests that you couldn't pay me to be involved with again. The bottom line is pretty clear: vote with your feet and with your dollars.

I'm going to vote with mine to stay involved with the Sam's Club contests again this year.

Diva
12-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Due to permitting and licensing approvals and the holiday schedule, the Sam's Club National BBQ Tour schedule release date has been moved to Friday, Dec. 28.

Rick Hamilton
12-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Way to go KCBS. Nice job with the over-promise and under deliver. Hard to believe this delay wasn't known until today. Personally I was excited about getting the info. I guess I will wait until Dec 28...or Jan 13...or maybe March 2.

wmaes47
12-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Take a deep breath... relax

We will make it together...

RangerJ
12-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Way to go KCBS. Nice job with the over-promise and under deliver. Hard to believe this delay wasn't known until today. Personally I was excited about getting the info. I guess I will wait until Dec 28...or Jan 13...or maybe March 2.

Dude... seriously?

Rick Hamilton
12-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Dude... seriously?

*Long winded response alert*

Well...kind of; but not worked up about it. KCBS is a organization that I am proud to belong to and so I think I can have certain expectations of how it will behave. I consider myself to be not just a member but also a "client" of KCBS in that I purchase membership, pay for reps thru contest fees, utilize their services of cookiing sanctioned contests, etc. I would never tell a client that they will have a project complete right up to when it is to be delivered and then, with zero advance notice, tell them I am missing the committed date (which by the way was self committed). Also, this is a board that had ran under a banner of being open and providing information to its members. I just don't believe that they didn't know the info wasn't going to be available until this morning. Opportunity for improvement in communication plan.

Sounds like some real hurdles and hard work still left to do. I applaud them for doing it and look forward to the announcement. I just think that committments made should be kept.

DawgPhan
12-19-2012, 07:51 PM

even I am not going to bang on them for this. It's christmas. Let it slide. These contests dont start for a couple more months.