PDA

View Full Version : Final LI Sandy Cook: Need volunteers

motoeric
11-13-2012, 10:30 PM
This weekend will be the last that I'll be involved with the organizing of cook for victims of Sandy.

Things are NOT definite right now, but it looks like we will be cooking in Lindenhurst. In some strange turnabout, we may be at a park that is actually on the water. It'd be nice stand on the shore, look out at the water and say 'fark you' as we continue to feed those affected.

Whether it's at the location we are looking at or not, we will at least cook on Saturday. I doubt that we will be there Sunday, but that will be a game day decision.

We need some volunteers to help cook. We also need some pits and grills. We will be cooking pork loins, pork shoulders, turkeys and maybe hams. It would be great to give these people a taste of Thanksgiving.

If anyone has any facility with traditional sides that can be cooked on a smoker or grill, please let me know. I'm thinking mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc.

Phil will be there, as will Santa, myself and whoever we can coerce into a third weekend of cooking for those in need. Please post here or pm me with any questions, thoughts or suggestions.

Eric

MikeR
11-14-2012, 05:13 AM
I should be there. Will give you a definite a little later today. Some of friends grew up in Lindenhurst and I'm sure they would love to help. The sooner we could get any specifics would help. Thanks for setting this up.

exhorns
11-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Should be good for Saturday. Keep me posted. Matt

BBQchef33
11-14-2012, 10:33 AM
where is it?

MikeR
11-14-2012, 10:37 AM
where is it?

According to Facebook logistics have not been worked out yet. We are all patiently waiting. Also, if anyone has my "Bear Claws" and a large Food Network knife in a hard black plastic sheath please let me know, these were used in Long Beach- Thanks.

BBQchef33
11-14-2012, 10:53 AM
i have all that stuff.

The truck was packed to the gills, and it would be crazy to unpack and repack for friday. So i kept the 29.95/day rental and all the stuff is still loaded in the truck.

mr dirts bbq
11-14-2012, 11:40 AM
i will only be available sunday from 10am on, but i have reefer van and pit

CMALANGA
11-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Please no low bridges otherwise we may have to take the air conditioner off of Phil's trailer this time.

MikeR
11-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Please no low bridges otherwise we may have to take the air conditioner off of Phil's trailer this time.
It's almost winter, it's not like he'll be using it anytime soon.

NS Mike D
11-14-2012, 12:02 PM
I am not sure I can help this weekend as my wife is laid up with a broken knee. My grill should be on the truck, with some spatulas, tongs, pails, cleaning pans etc. for use. I'll see if I can come down Sunday to help or at least help break down and take back my gear so to free up the truck.

timzcardz
11-14-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm on vacation and getting back to LI on Friday, so I should be available on Saturday.

mad mike
11-14-2012, 02:19 PM
let me know if you still need help i have a meadow creek cd 120 that can cook a good amount of food at one time, plus some others if needed. will be coming from maryland. sent you a pm

motoeric
11-14-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm not home right now. I'll have a lot more details in a couple of hours.

This will be taking place in Lindenhurst at the grounds of the marina and the Wellwood Grill on Wellwood Ave.

We will be cooking the remainder of the food from Long Beach (that's kindly being stored by Main St. Meats) as well as Turkeys (definite) and hams (if we can get them).

I would also LOVE to have Thanksgiving related side dishes (mashed potatoes, yams, cranberry sauce, stuffing) and autumnal soups (butternut squash?). Can anyone help out with any of that?

Lastly, I'd like see if we can get our hands on cookie or cupcake versions of traditional desserts (like pumpkin cupcakes or apple pie cookies) that would be fantastic.

Eric

speedrcer1
11-14-2012, 05:24 PM
I have a Boy Scout troop itching to help with something.
Would there be a need for some scouts?

TheJackal
11-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Anything still going on in Brick? My son's football team is playing them in the state playoffs Friday night. I was thinking I could get a bunch of the boys to help prep, serve, and clean on Saturday. I could also bring my Onyx and cook something. If nothing in Brick I can see if everyone is OK with heading to Lindenhurst. Its over twice as far for us though which is why we were hoping Brick was still up and running.

motoeric
11-14-2012, 06:04 PM
OK, the venue is at the corner of Wellwood and Orchard, south of Montauk at the Wellwood Grill.

What I need to know is who can set up on Friday evening with a substantial smoker. Can you please post here if you are available for that? We have 250 pounds of pork shoulder to cook and hundreds and hundreds of pounds of pork loin. That is in addition to any hams or turkeys we can get donated.

We are doing soup, pork shoulders, pork loin (smoked or grilled s chopped), turkeys and hams. We need to get turkeys and hams donated (if anyone has any contacts or a full wallet).

We will need at least one large grill, stoves to make soup and a number of smokers. We will also need our other normal stuff (tables, camp chairs, knives, a tent or two, etc.).

We will be serving from noon to six. Once again, this is a town that is actually on the water and has been hit unbelievably hard.

Eric

scm1226
11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Eric I can help out at sometime. Let me know when the need is so I can be some assistance. I only have small cookers so count me out for a smoker.

motoeric
11-14-2012, 07:56 PM
We could absolutely use some Irish help!

Can you make it down there around 10:00 am or so?

Eric

motoeric
11-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Anything still going on in Brick? My son's football team is playing them in the state playoffs Friday night. I was thinking I could get a bunch of the boys to help prep, serve, and clean on Saturday. I could also bring my Onyx and cook something. If nothing in Brick I can see if everyone is OK with heading to Lindenhurst. Its over twice as far for us though which is why we were hoping Brick was still up and running.

I'm not sure about whether or not Brick is up and running, but regardless, you're doing a great thing. Thanks!

Eric

motoeric
11-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Ok, being a bit overwhelmed with the cooks the past three weeks is no excuse, but I lost the contact for the person that offered the $120 in gift certificates for turkeys.

I can't find it in my pm's, on Facebook or in my email. It disappeared like Kaiser Soze.

If that was you, please give me a yell.

Eric

agold791
11-14-2012, 11:38 PM
I can make it on Saturday for the full day, but like Steve said, we only have the small cookers. I'll bring whatever tables I have

Al
Smokin Irish

motoeric
11-15-2012, 04:42 PM
If you're one of those sorta folks that has Big Farking Pots and can bring one or two on Saturday, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Eric

mr dirts bbq
11-15-2012, 04:47 PM
i got one 30qt, what the propane burner also?

motoeric
11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Sure! That would be great.

Thanks,

Eric

smokinit
11-16-2012, 07:02 AM
The PPM Shwagen will be there but sorry I wont be husbandly duties:mmph:.

NS Mike D
11-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Are you cooking Sunday. If not, I have to make arrangements to pick up my gear tomorrow. One thought is that I can drop off my trailer tonight- you guys can then use my 3 wsms if needed, and then I can swing by saturday night to help break down and take back the johnny grill and other gear.

motoeric
11-16-2012, 08:52 AM
We will not be cooking Sunday. This is a one day (Saturday) deal.

Eric

liluau joe
11-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi Eric. I will be there with two of my grills. i also have some large coolers to store hot food and a propane burner with a large pot. Let me know if you want me to bring them. See you in the morning.

Joey Dee

BBQ Bandit
11-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Will be there... late by midnight with trailer, smoker, and gear.

motoeric
11-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi Eric. I will be there with two of my grills. i also have some large coolers to store hot food and a propane burner with a large pot. Let me know if you want me to bring them. See you in the morning.

Joey Dee

Yes, that would be great. Thanks.

Eric

motoeric
11-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Will be there... late by midnight with trailer, smoker, and gear.

Mr. Bandit, sir,

You know that we're not setting up overnight, right? You're welcome to be there whenever you like, but people are showing up in the morning.

Eric

Cue's Your Daddy
11-16-2012, 04:55 PM
I will be there.

mr dirts bbq
11-16-2012, 05:58 PM
ill be out there around 2:30am with the big pit
you guys will prob be asleep, lol

smokinit
11-16-2012, 06:04 PM
How big a grease fire can you get this time:D:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mr dirts bbq
11-16-2012, 06:05 PM
How big a grease fire can you get this time:D:D

very funny! lol i think im safe sacco isnt there is he?

smokinit
11-16-2012, 06:08 PM
He will make a special appearance just for you;)

motoeric
11-16-2012, 09:12 PM
If you are wondering where to park and where we are setting up, I will be there around 7:00 am, parked in that area. I'll have a general layout ready. Just look for the slightly antiquated Grand Marquis.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
11-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Can someone connect me via Skype for morale?

timzcardz
11-18-2012, 07:05 AM
I've been here 7 plus years now, and am still struck by the collective honor, integrity and charitable nature of The Brethren.

It was an honor to help serve those in need yesterday, and truly a privilege to do so with all of you.

motoeric
11-18-2012, 08:43 AM
If you are a subscriber to Newsday, check this out:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns/long-island-now-1.1732330/bbq-pitmasters-serve-hot-meals-in-lindenhurst-1.4233714
Video and article.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns/helping-sandy-victims-1.4226530#2
Photos

Eric

Cue's Your Daddy
11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Can someone connect me via Skype for morale?

Who's This?

mr dirts bbq
11-18-2012, 11:04 AM
can anyone post printed article, for whatever reason my optimun ID isnt working
and i must say, cooking for all the residents and cooking with all the guys was a great experience/cause and also not a bad way to spend a saturday
i wish i couldve stayed longer and helped more
thanks to frank for helping me out

BBQ Bandit
11-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Its a humble honor working with you guyz again!

BBQ Bandit
11-18-2012, 11:40 AM
If you are a subscriber to Newsday, check this out:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns/long-island-now-1.1732330/bbq-pitmasters-serve-hot-meals-in-lindenhurst-1.4233714
Video and article.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns/helping-sandy-victims-1.4226530#2
Photos

Eric

The first picture of Phil looks like he's considering to do some crop-dusting.

Just sayin'....

NS Mike D
11-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Glad to se my grill made the video! Phil, let me know where and when I can pick up my gear. Thanks guys who have taken care of the grill and stuff while I play nurse to my wife and broken knee.

speedrcer1
11-18-2012, 01:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RErPB5ah_bc&feature=youtu.be

speedrcer1
11-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Great job guys and gals!
Sorry i could not be there this time.

bbqnjm
11-18-2012, 05:46 PM
it was a pleasure to work with you all yesterday. Happy Thanksgiving.
Nancy & Don

liluau joe
11-19-2012, 05:31 AM
We had a great day working with my friends from the Brethern. I wish we would have done the other ones also. I am honored to be counted in their numbers. Happy Thanksgiving. Hope to see everyone soon.

Joey Dee

Bigdog
11-19-2012, 05:46 AM
I am so proud of you guys for doing this.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

mr dirts bbq
11-19-2012, 09:53 AM
I've been here 7 plus years now, and am still struck by the collective honor, integrity and charitable nature of The Brethren.

It was an honor to help serve those in need yesterday, and truly a privilege to do so with all of you.

your not so bad yourself pumpkin!

motoeric
12-01-2012, 07:05 PM
For those that were there towards 6pm and remember the little girl that Santa Frank was talking with, he got her Christmas list from her mother. She only asked for about 4 things.

As you might recall if you heard the story, her home was flooded and she lost all of her clothes and all of her toys. I saw photos of her street and it looked like a river and that was after the water had receded significantly.

Santa's getting some stuff from the list, I'm going to get some stuff and a few other people are as well. I'd really like to cap off our efforts regarding Sandy by ensuring that this little girl has an amazing Christmas.

Santa is delivering the items on Christmas Eve morning.

It was touching to me to see her w/ Santa and it saddened me to realize how impactful the superstorm must have been for children. They have a limited perspective and it must have seemed if half her world was taken from her.

If you'd like to participate, let me know.

Eric