PDA

View Full Version : Good "Q" in Philly.

shirknwrk
11-06-2012, 10:13 AM
On the way back from a wedding in the Catskills, Ryoko and I spent one night with her youngest daughter who just rented a tiny apartment in Fishtown. Searched the internet for "Philadelphia BBQ" and found Bubba's Texas BBQ only one block away. Still full of pizza from an Interstate rest stop, I had to try the place. http://www.bubbastexasbbq.net/

We dropped in about 7:30 but the massive wood burning smoker was still going. I ordered the smoked mac n cheese with bacon... and asked if I could see the smoker. The owner was happy to show me the custom made monster... Looked like the wall of a bank with safe deposit boxes! All the smoking compartments have sliding steel panels that control smoke flow. Each has it's own thermometer. The owner says he smokes brisket at 150 for 20 hrs... and that's what the thermometer read on the box he opened to show a "Texas meteorite".
He offered a slice... Tender, tasty and very juicy... Too tender for KCBS but fine with me. (I wasn't about to offend his generosity by bringing up the Lo & Slow vs. Hot & Fast debate.) I spied a pile of slabs and he offered one... He cooks whole slabs... As good as anything I've had in KC... A bit less sweet, tender, just short of fall off the bone. Was stuffed by the time I got back to the table but managed to finish half a serving of mac & cheese. Too bad it's so far away.

Johnny_Crunch
11-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Cool stuff. Sounds like a fun trip.

PaSmoker
11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Been wanting to try it....now I will!! :thumb::thumb:

chad
11-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Glad you enjoyed your stop and had a tour.

But, please explain how 150 for 20 hours will make tender brisket? It can never get above 150 as that IS the delta. Just curious how the connective tissue breaks down, etc. etc.

I'm not trying to be contrary, honest! Just need to know how you can tenderize and ensure juiciness in a brisket when you don't use heat. :mrgreen:

QansasjayhawQ
11-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Glad you enjoyed your stop and had a tour.

But, please explain how 150 for 20 hours will make tender brisket? It can never get above 150 as that IS the delta. Just curious how the connective tissue breaks down, etc. etc.

I'm not trying to be contrary, honest! Just need to know how you can tenderize and ensure juiciness in a brisket when you don't use heat. :mrgreen:
To be honest, I had the same thought run through my head. Doesn't 'The Magic' happen right around 165?

And then I had a thought about food safety and cooking at 150.

But then I decided to not say anything. Heh heh.

I'm glad you stopped too, shirknwrk. It sounds like it was a really cool experience.

chad
11-06-2012, 04:52 PM
To be honest, I had the same thought run through my head. Doesn't 'The Magic' happen right around 165?

And then I had a thought about food safety and cooking at 150.

But then I decided to not say anything. Heh heh.

I'm glad you stopped too, shirknwrk. It sounds like it was a really cool experience.

Yeah, I had the food safety thought, too, but didn't go there.

Maybe he holds at 150 - now that I would believe. But, if the food is good and nobody dies who are we to call Bull$h1T! :twisted: