PDA

View Full Version : Florida Road Trip

MazmanQ
11-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Just got back from a 10 day swing thru Florida. Tried 3 BBQ places, of which only 1 was truly new to us. My review of each is in the order we tried them:
1. Beechwood BBQ in St.Pete Beach, Gulf coast, part of the Post Card Inn. Great Q cooked out back with wood. I went around back to verify. We tried the pulled pork w/carolina red sauce served on the side, pulled brisket sandwich, and the Memphis style dry ribs. All were exceptional and the sides were good also. Huge sandwiches.
2. Mojo BBQ in downtown St.Augustine. Tried the burnt ends appetizer and almost coundn't believe how good they were. Competition quality.Had a 2 meat lunch special which was pork and brisket for me. Daughter had brunswick stew and pulled pork, wife chicken and pork. Huge portions of quality food. I understand they have 3 other locations in the Jacksonville area.
3. Bono BBQ in St. Augustine. Had been there before. Average at best. Dry pork, horribly tough brisket, great bbq beans,and sweet corn fritters.
Overall, I would not go back to Bonos. A Florida based chain.

I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad. My favorite was the Mojo BBQ but it was also the first time there. I'll repeat again next year and see how it holds up.:clap2: