PDA

View Full Version : category consistency

PapaBearsHickoryPit
10-30-2012, 02:57 PM
What KCBS category do you guys think is the hardest to be consistent at? I am new to competitive cooking so I haven't got the amount of contests under my belt like many of you do and am wondering what categories you guys practice the most. Thanks for the replies.

Smitty250
10-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Pork Shoulder!!

columbia1
10-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Chicken, chicken sucks!!
We cook 16 thighs for comps, because chickens only have two thighs the quality between those 16 thighs is not consistent. Some chickens taste slightly different, and can cook different. One thigh might be perfect at 178', while another needs to hit 182' to hit the perfect mark.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
10-30-2012, 05:04 PM
I've never cooked KCBS, but I would say that chicken would have to be the hardest category to be consistent, in any sanctioning group.

Theresa B
10-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Chicken hands down!!

CivilWarBBQ
10-30-2012, 06:13 PM
It changes. Just when you get your chix hitting on all cylinders, your old reliable brisket falls down. That's the hard part about competition BBQ: you are chasing a moving target. The judge's preference ebbs and flows like the tide, so you can't just keep doing the same thing all the time or you find your scores dropping as they leave you behind.

Just ask Trigg.

Tack
10-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Heck I got consistency down everything I cook at a contest comes in lower half of the field!!! :oops: Seriously I would have to say chicken also.

PapaBearsHickoryPit
10-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the replies all. I guess just practice a ton and never stop learning. I agree about the chicken though.

route66
10-31-2012, 02:37 AM
Chicken!

Kit R
10-31-2012, 07:06 AM
Chicken is the general consensus here. I was talking with my wife on the very long (for us anyway) drive home from Lynchburg about why we seem to be struggling recently in the big meat categories. She said she is surprised that it's the big meats and not chicken where we are having difficulty. When I asked her why, she said that she thinks the smaller piece of meat and resulting shorter cook time leaves a smaller margin of error. I can see that. So if that's the case, how is that our pork scores have been on a roller coaster for the past 18 months (top five one week and bottom three the next on more than one occasion) and our brisket has fallen on a cliff since June? That is the question I hope to answer over the next five months. :pray:

dhuffjr
10-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Chicken is the thing I have been consistent with (3 in top 10 and two 11th place finishes). Ribs I used to be but only 1 top 10 this year with 5 contests cooked. The big meats I've always been all over the place. That is where I tinker though I'm thinking of one change for the ribs.

Outnumbered
10-31-2012, 01:23 PM
We are consistent with chicken. Always, always bad.

sweetheatbbq
10-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Whatever you practice the least you will need to practice more on. I tend to practice pork shoulder, ribs, and chicken the most because the family likes that the best and we can eat it for a couple days. my scores generally reflect that. I need to practice brisket simply because I have cooked it the least and it shows in the score.

PapaBearsHickoryPit
10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Yeah I need to practice chicken baaaaad. How often do you guys practice? Anybody ever use kosmos a chicken soak or oakridge game changer?

boogiesnap
10-31-2012, 02:42 PM
when i'm on it hard, i'll run chicken and ribs maybe three times a week. pork MAYBE once a month and brisket once or twice before the season. my scores don't reflect any results from either practicing or not.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
10-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Pork. Hands down. It's the easiest to cook which means its the easiest to have lots of good pork hit the tables and find yourself way down the list.

sdbbq1234
10-31-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm taking some words of advice over the next few months from a fellow bbq brethren: Master one item, whatever that may be. Then, then work on the others. They will come together.

The first will be chicken for me.

wallace

indianagriller
10-31-2012, 11:32 PM
brisket... we were nailing brisket last year...this year it was very inconsistent...there have been 2 times where we bombed a category that if we would have finished half way descent we would have GC'd

KC_Bobby
10-31-2012, 11:53 PM
I'd argue that chicken is the toughest one to figure out, but then once you do get a grasp on it - it's the easiest to be consistent with.

We finally, finally started getting good chicken scores regularly late last year and in my last 10 comps, I think it only score less than 170 once - 160 at the Royal this year, and even I take that with a grain of salt. That days chicken was no better/no worse then we'd turned in at any other comp during that period - just hit the wrong table. I'm happy with that 90% of 170+.

Now if judges would just like the same pork they liked in 2008-09.

kcmike
11-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Yeah I need to practice chicken baaaaad. How often do you guys practice? Anybody ever use kosmos a chicken soak or oakridge game changer?

We've sold almost a thousand pounds of Game Changer since we introduced it this spring... So, I'm pretty sure a few folks out there are using it. :becky: :wink: :thumb:

Q-Dat
11-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Been hearing about a lot of inconsistency across the country when it comes to pork. Lots of Greg Rempe's guests have mentioned it this year.

Lake Dogs
11-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Been hearing about a lot of inconsistency across the country when it comes to pork. Lots of Greg Rempe's guests have mentioned it this year.

This is probably a bit off-topic, but particularly what constitutes great
looking pork apparently is very regional and would be very inconsistent
across the county. For example, years ago you'd never see sliced or
chopped come across the table 'round here because pork was "pulled"
if it was good. I've written many times over the years on this and wont
go into all the detail in this little write up. We've only begun to see
MM sliced (which most now do) come across, but frankly it doesn't help
most of them, as often it's too mushy, or they've left too much fat in it,
or it looks literally like a dog turd in the box if they're not careful... Where
in other parts of the county I understand that sliced and/or chopped pork
is perfectly acceptable and normal.

To the original poster, for me Chicken historically has been my most inconsistent
category, largely hinging on the tenderness of the skin. I had consistency
problems earlier with the others, but I now get all my meat from one particular
meat supplier and none of the meat is enhanced. Looking back, the different
enhancing had a lot to do with my inconsistencies.

Podge
11-02-2012, 02:45 PM
brisket... we were nailing brisket last year...this year it was very inconsistent...there have been 2 times where we bombed a category that if we would have finished half way descent we would have GC'd

just could be a very small detail you're overlooking.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
11-02-2012, 07:51 PM

we won brisket 4 times in 10 contests last year. We were lucky to get 3 calls this year. we used a much lower quality brisket and didnt really realize how big of a difference it made until the end of the year.