PDA

View Full Version : Best way to buy ribs ?

sunrise
10-30-2012, 12:49 PM
After years of buying my ribs at the best available price, and trimming them myself to a St Louis style cut. I have been wondering if all the meat I discard from the trimming is worth my time and what I pay per rack vs buying ribs already trimmed. Anyone have any experience in this area? Is it better to buy & trim, or buy already trimmed racks?

SirPorkaLot
10-30-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure what you are discarding or why?

I use 100% of all my rib trimmings.
Some gets turned into rib meat carnitas, some gets ground for sausage, but it all gets used one way or the other.

I buy them untrimmed because most of the pre-trimed St. Louis cuts I have seen look like they were butchered by a blind butcher.

chad
10-30-2012, 02:09 PM
I use the trimmings, too, for ribs & kraut, "riblettes", simmer for pork broth, etc. Commercial "St. Louis" ribs are trimmed way to lean for my taste. I've used the ones from Chicago Meat a couple of times and they are OK and very easy to portion control but are really closely trimmed. I haven't had any experince with Curly's but have heard some good things.

that's hot
10-30-2012, 02:48 PM
i use all of my trimmings too , and if nothing else,take the trimmings throw them on the smoker and chop them up and add them to the beans.

Tack
10-30-2012, 07:02 PM
I use all my trimmings also. nothing like fresh ground sausage. It does help to have a good grinder tho....

Bbq Bubba
10-30-2012, 07:37 PM
How many racks are you cooking?
If your doing a couple cases and can SELL the tips then your saving a few pennies.
I cook about 16 cases a week. Fark all that trimming!
St. louis the only way to go.

chad
11-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Just an observation, but most of the rib joints around here are selling untrimmed spares. The more refined "restaurants" go Babyback or St. Louis, but the hard-core, stand in line for them to open places are not worrying about elegant cuts! The good places to remove the membrane!