PDA

View Full Version : Comp week schedule

McEvoy AZ
10-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Just wanted to know who would share their schedules in the prior days before a comp. when is it except able to do your trimming? I tend to trim all meats with the exception of pork butt the night before, but because of my job this tends to keep me up late the night before that leads to my sleep deprivation over the week end. How about mixing you ijectables and sauced? I like to have as much done before so I can have fun and concentrait on the cook. I would love to hear your schedule and how it works for you.

fnbish
10-28-2012, 04:47 PM
While I don't always follow an exact schedule I usually trim everything on Wednesday. I sometimes leave chicken to trim on Thursday since it takes about as long as the other 3 categories. I make brine/injections/sauces on Wed or Thurs depending on my mood. Pretty simple. I don't think trimming early or later affects the end product much since there are folks who do it earlier and later and do just as well at the other.

jbrink01
10-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Monday - Inventory Trailer. Tuesday - Buy any needed rubs, sauces, stocks. Make marinades. Wednesday - Buy Meats, Trim Brisket. Thursday - Trim other meats. Friday - Pack coolers, buy ice, leave.

The_Kapn
10-28-2012, 05:24 PM
While I don't always follow an exact schedule I usually trim everything on Wednesday. I sometimes leave chicken to trim on Thursday since it takes about as long as the other 3 categories. I make brine/injections/sauces on Wed or Thurs depending on my mood. Pretty simple. I don't think trimming early or later affects the end product much since there are folks who do it earlier and later and do just as well at the other.

Monday - Inventory Trailer. Tuesday - Buy any needed rubs, sauces, stocks. Make marinades. Wednesday - Buy Meats, Trim Brisket. Thursday - Trim other meats. Friday - Pack coolers, buy ice, leave.

They guys above pretty much nailed it.

The only trimming we did a lot of was was Chickie. I did that several comps ahead and just froze them in comp sized bags. Worked for us, but ...?

Before we "retired", the best thing we did for ourselves is to simply keep a list as we used up things at a comp! Kept us from missing the small stuff like paper towels and chit like that.

That, coupled with the "standard restock list" saved our butts a few times!

You will find something that works for you--we all did,

TIM

New Pal Frank
10-29-2012, 05:02 AM
For us, Sunday is making injections, chicken soak and brisket mop and sauces.Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday find good buts. (sometimes a three day job around here). Tuesday pick up fresh chicken and ribs. Trim them that night, repackage and suck and seal. Load camper wednesday evening. Hit the road Thursday. Trim butts and brisket after meat inspection on Friday.

Smitty250
10-29-2012, 04:01 PM
About a week to a week and half before a comp I will get my brisket. I want to make sure I have a good one and not be stressed out trying to get a brisket last minute. I just put it in the bottom of fridge to sit until I trim. I will usually start on Monday taking inventory of supplies. Tuesday I will go get needed supplies (charcoal, aluminum pans, paper towels, etc.) Wednesday I will buy my ribs, butts, and chicken. That night I put together my sauce, injection, and trim all meat. Thursday I get home from work and usually pack up and head out if the comp is not in the Phoenix area. I like to travel at night so the kids can fall asleep in the car and we can move them to the trailer when we get there. For competitions that are close (short driving distance) I will still make injections and sauce on Wed. night and trim my meat on Thursday night so I can leave Friday morning. I will usually pack up my truck/trailer Thursday night if I am leaving Friday morning. Hope this helps!

Captain Caveman
10-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Monday- Trailer Inventory, ans fix anything that needs repair from previous weekend.
Tuesday- Mix rubs, sauces, injections, etc. Refill trailer fresh water tank.
Wednesday- Trim briskets, butts, and ribs.
Thursday- Trim Chicken, pack cooler, load trailer.

Crash
10-30-2012, 03:57 AM
Chicken and ribs get trimmed weeks before a contest for us. Into a food saver bag, into the freezer and good to go.

We prefer to trim briskets about a week before, then freeze in food saver bag.

Pork, we trim on site straight out of the cryovac.

Injections, sauces and brines get made the Wed or Thurs before a comp.

Best of luck.

Qbert60
10-30-2012, 11:35 AM
I take Thursday off of work. I make the injections that morning, buy all the meat after that, and gather everything up by night time.

I trim all the meat at the comp. I know that is very time consuming, but I am not much of a planner.

Outnumbered
10-30-2012, 12:40 PM

You don't age briskets at all?

KC_Bobby
10-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Monday - clean trailer, wash laundry, make sure dishes have been cleaned (if we did a comp the week before - otherwise this should already be done)
Tuesday -inventory
Wed - (4:55 grocery list) get meats/supplies, trim chicken
Thursday -figure out who I can bum parsley off of, load coolers, pack and any other last minute stuff - take trailer to comp if close
Friday - work til about 3:00 if comp is near, then go to comp. If it's far, time it so we're at least an hour later than any other team on site (or that's how it seemed to go this past year due to work)

dhuffjr
10-31-2012, 07:03 AM
You guys are way more organized than I am. Our toyhauler has simplified the task someone as several tubs with stuff live in it now and I've left our Eggs in it a couple of times. I may depending on the week pick up pork, brisket, and ribs on Wednesday. Chicken and greenery gets bought Thursday. Thursday is a whirlwind of activity and I do everything you guys are doing earlier in the week in one day.

CBQ
10-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Our brisket sourcing we plan in Feb/March, after we figure out the schedule for the year.

Pork/chicken/ribs we try to source fresh the week of the contest, generally Tuesdays. Rubs and sauces are made on Wed/Thurs, along with parsley. We trim on site almost all the time. Our setup has everything we need, and we would rather have the mess there than at home.

In the northeast, contests are mostly Sat/Sun, so we travel to a contest on Friday night, or Saturday morning depending on distance if it's a New England contest. Other events like Pork in the Park, Green Lane, Rochester mean taking a vacation day from work and leaving earlier.

I like the Sat/Sun vs. Fri/Sat contests - easier to keep the day job.

rksylves
10-31-2012, 11:01 AM
I really run two schedules depending on how far away the comp is and when I leave for it.

Sunday, plug in on-board fridge and start my inventory sheet.
Monday, purchase anything missing, except meat.
Tuesday, load fridge, and pretty well finish out inventory list.
Wednesday, get ice for the 150 & drink coolers and depending on departure time, get meat.
Thursday, if leaving Friday,then get meat, or else depart for comp in time to get at least on site before dark.
Friday, leave for comp at 0:dark-thirty.
Saturday, if the return trip is more than an hour or so then spend the night there.
Sunday, get home and clean trailer from top to bottom and hopefully start process over.

Russ

G$
10-31-2012, 05:22 PM
We used to do the same as everyone else, except our schedule was to do it all Thursday.