PDA

View Full Version : How long for Chicken thighs

Wager
10-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Doing chicken for the first time next weekend at a comp and will be doing a practice run this weekend. Was wondering if anyone could give me a ball park for how long thighs will take at 300*? not looking for anyone's specific timing, just trying to get a ballpark for the practice run this weekend and will adjust based on those results.

DawgPhan
10-26-2012, 02:41 PM
a little less than 2 hours.

The_Kapn
10-26-2012, 02:55 PM
What Dawg said!

If you are going into a comp with little chicken thigh cooking experience--please, please, please do yourself a favor and KISS the first comp cook.

You will read or hear many techniques to get it all just "perfect" with bite through skin, shaped a certain way, and all of that.
You can go crazy following all of the advanced techniques that abound out here :evil:

Not that they do not work, but...
First time out--trim them up to "similar" size and shape and just cook them to 170-190, lightly sauce them, put them in the box, and turn them in!!!

When you get your results, and have more time to practice, then start refining your process and getting complicated and see where it goes.

Good Luck.
Stay relaxed, focused, and reasonably sober, and have FUN!!

TIM

Fat Freddy
10-26-2012, 03:01 PM
I cook mine at 275* in my WSM and it takes about an hour and 45 minutes until I am happy.

Balls Casten
10-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Its done when its done ... correct?
get a remote therometer and watch the temps and time.

jbrink01
10-26-2012, 08:16 PM
325 in a UDS takes me 45 minutes. I trim them kinda small.

Wager
10-27-2012, 08:22 AM
thanks guys.

Kapn, definitely not going to try and get fancy this go around. have a local butcher that is going to help with the deboning and triming so all I have to do is stick them on the smoker for a little while and then into the box.

huminie
10-27-2012, 01:14 PM
You didn't mention deboning in the first post. Times will likely be less considering. Not many teams like to debone chicken thighs.

Tack
10-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Great advice Kapn

Smokin Mike
10-27-2012, 08:48 PM
What Dawg said!

If you are going into a comp with little chicken thigh cooking experience--please, please, please do yourself a favor and KISS the first comp cook.

You will read or hear many techniques to get it all just "perfect" with bite through skin, shaped a certain way, and all of that.
You can go crazy following all of the advanced techniques that abound out here :evil:

Not that they do not work, but...
First time out--trim them up to "similar" size and shape and just cook them to 170-190, lightly sauce them, put them in the box, and turn them in!!!

When you get your results, and have more time to practice, then start refining your process and getting complicated and see where it goes.

Good Luck.
Stay relaxed, focused, and reasonably sober, and have FUN!!

TIM

lol, wished I saw that advice a long time ago!:shock:, great advice!:thumb::clap2: