View Full Version : Cape Girardeau, MO next week

10-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Headed to Cape Girardeau next Wednesday. Going to try to get up to Murphysboro to 17th Street for a late lunch/early dinner on my way to Cape G. Any other good eats in the area?

10-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Picking up a new pit? :wink:

10-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Try Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston Mo. for throwed rolls and good home cooking. Sikeston is 25 mile south of Cape on I-55. It has been featured on the travel Chanel several times. If you go remember they do not take credit cards. Cash or check only.

10-24-2012, 08:58 PM
I highly recommend the chicken fried round steak at Lambert's. One of the best ones outside of Texas.:thumb: Better'n some in TX too.:icon_blush:

@Swinebuck I'd never noticed b4 they don't take CC's. Checks but no CC's?:shocked: Almost as shocked as at the German 'raunt I once ate at in Quincy IL that wouldn't take CC's but would send you an *Invoice* to an address that you provided to them so you could pay by check!:loco:

10-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Picking up a new pit? :wink:

Nope, have to be in Cape Girardeau for my real job on Thursday morning. Have a 7:30am meeting downtown.

11-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Made it to Lambert's for lunch last week. What I would call country fried steak was good as were the mashed taters, gravy, slaw, and green beans. Rolls were great! Did not care for their sides they bring around; fried okra was just breaded frozen product thrown in a fryer, black-eye peas were straight out of the can with no seasoning, did not even try the macaroni and tomato dish; it did not appeal to me at all. Also made it to the original 17th Street Bar and Grill for some of Mike Mills barbecue in Murphysboro. Had a combo of ribs and brisket with beans and slaw. Ribs were somewhat on the dry side, but overall pretty good. Brisket was great; moist tender slices witih great flavor. Beans and slaw were both good.