PDA

View Full Version : What brand of ribs do you prefer? Compart?

QTEX
10-23-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm sure its discussed many times but things change fast now days so just wondering what some of you comp cookers use recently?
I've been using the heb St. Louis ones and the Sams three pak ribs. Sams ribs for the last few months are more flap than rib and the HEB ribs are supposedly enhanced so looking to order something better. Tried some Hormels this weekend that a friend gets through Benny Keith, he owns a restaurant. The Hormels sponge up big and actually have a sponge like texture I did not care for. Unfortunately thats I I can find down here in deep south Texas.
Anybody using those Compart Duroc ribs?, if so what do they taste like?

Wampus
10-23-2012, 09:41 AM
We've been using pre-trimmed spares all year long. I get either IBP or Indiana Kitchen brands up here in Indy. They come frozen in the case. Been scoring pretty well consistently and the pre trimmed saves us a lot of prep time. All I have to do is skin em.

Q-Dat
10-23-2012, 09:47 AM
I have had really good results lately with Farmland St Louis cut ribs. Also the Excel spares that Save A Lot sells look really god in the case but I have yet to try them.

bruno994
10-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Qtex, I'm here in Southeast Texas and I usually just buy the HEB pretrimmed St Louis cuts as well. They work well for me, especially this summer when they had them on sale every other week.

roksmith
10-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Are the Hormels legal for KCBS? The only ones I can find online are their "Always Tender" ribs. I know they are enhanced with a "solution". Hormel refers to it as a marinade, but are they considered just enhanced, or would they be considered seasoned/marinaded?

E Mellow
10-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Talking about these larger companies, anything in the Cargill line is always good stuff. The problem is a lot of distributors of their high end products are wholesale/food service only so the minimums can get kind of crazy for competition use.

From what I have gathered, Cargill maintains feed and living standards at their facilities. Most of the co-ops are simply that, a group of farmers with looser restrictions so products will differ more from farm to farm.

To me consistency outweighs quality. I will buy something slightly less then the best if I know I can get the same product each time.

roksmith
10-23-2012, 11:05 AM
nevermind.. found my own answer.. guess it had been awhile since I looked at that section.. it's all good

QTEX
10-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Qtex, I'm here in Southeast Texas and I usually just buy the HEB pretrimmed St Louis cuts as well. They work well for me, especially this summer when they had them on sale every other week.

I've done okay with both too, 2 first's and a couple top 5's the last couple months but sometimes they just seem so inconsistent in size and flavor and Sams ribs are more flap than ribs now.

QTEX
10-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Are the Hormels legal for KCBS? The only ones I can find online are their "Always Tender" ribs. I know they are enhanced with a "solution". Hormel refers to it as a marinade, but are they considered just enhanced, or would they be considered seasoned/marinaded?

They dont come in any packaging so dont see how a judge would even know they are Hormels.

QTEX
10-23-2012, 11:13 AM
I have had really good results lately with Farmland St Louis cut ribs. Also the Excel spares that Save A Lot sells look really god in the case but I have yet to try them.

The HEB ribs here are not always the same brand also so that may be the flavor and size difference. The ones I cooing today are Swift Premuim and it says natural on the package but I seriously doubt they are all natural, lol.

BKBBQ
10-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Kroger moist and tender.

jmoney7269
10-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Farmland st louis or HEB market trimmed st Louis

Lake Dogs
10-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Brand? C&B Processing (straight from the meat processing plant). No enhancement.

QTEX
10-23-2012, 11:47 AM
No Compart users here?, I'm surprised.

roksmith
10-23-2012, 11:48 AM
They dont come in any packaging so dont see how a judge would even know they are Hormels.

They wouldn't, the meat inspectors would/should notice, but it doesn't matter because they are legal.

ique
10-23-2012, 12:13 PM

There are some. I think though that its a popular opinion that super premium pork is not worth the money for a KCBS contest. Brisket on the other hand....

Jimmy & The Squealers
10-23-2012, 12:28 PM
We used Costco St. Louis ribs at Nelsonville this weekend and took first place.

Q-Dat
10-23-2012, 03:44 PM
The HEB ribs here are not always the same brand also so that may be the flavor and size difference. The ones I cooing today are Swift Premuim and it says natural on the package but I seriously doubt they are all natural, lol.

If there are ANY ingredients in the package other than pork, they are required by law to list it on the package. "Swift Premium" is an enhanced product. "Swift Premium Natural" is not.

Lake Dogs
10-23-2012, 04:44 PM
If there are ANY ingredients in the package other than pork, they are required by law to list it on the package. "Swift Premium" is an enhanced product. "Swift Premium Natural" is not.

I've used their Natural and liked the ribs.

jbrink01
10-23-2012, 05:31 PM
There are some. I think though that its a popular opinion that super premium pork is not worth the money for a KCBS contest. Brisket on the other hand....

Agreed Chris. Cooked some "Heirloom, All Natural, Berkshire / Duroc" butts this past weekend. Crazy marbleing, done a full 15 degrees sooner (touch, not temp cooker) and most of what went in the box was $1.39 Excel butts although the pulled was very tasty. Just not sure it's woth $3.89 / # for butts.

I know for a fact that 1st place ribs at the AR open were NOT premium ribs, and 8th place ribs were.....

QTEX
10-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Well todays ribs were very good. Cooked hot and fast at 350 and wrapped in white butcher after 1 hour, there were done in 3 hours, sauced and set for 15 mins rested for 30. They were good, going to buy a few to save for next event tomarrow morning.

Podge
10-23-2012, 06:42 PM

Really ?!?!.. have you tried them ?!?!?.. Just because they are premium duroc pork that costs a lot of money don't really mean they are worth a damn.

QTEX
10-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Really ?!?!.. have you tried them ?!?!?.. Just because they are premium duroc pork that costs a lot of money don't really mean they are worth a damn.

No sir I have not tried them, just seen a couple big names throwing the brand around so am surprised there are not more guys here using them if they are "premium". Seems odd the general consensus on ribs is not to pay more for higher quality yet most will not blink at wagyu or prime or other high end briskets. I do have some on order for the next event, should get them next week so I'll let everyone know if I think they are worth 14 to 15 bucks a rack, heck we're already paying 10-12 a rack now not that much difference. If I pay the freight they cost me about 18 bucks a rack but am getting them through a buddy with a restaurant coming through a purveyor so no freight, worth a try at least imo.

Podge
10-23-2012, 09:00 PM
No sir I have not tried them, just seen a couple big names throwing the brand around so am surprised there are not more guys here using them if they are "premium". Seems odd the general consensus on ribs is not to pay more for higher quality yet most will not blink at wagyu or prime or other high end briskets. I do have some on order for the next event, should get them next week so I'll let everyone know if I think they are worth 14 to 15 bucks a rack, heck we're already paying 10-12 a rack now not that much difference. If I pay the freight they cost me about 18 bucks a rack but am getting them through a buddy with a restaurant coming through a purveyor so no freight, worth a try at least imo.

try them, but not at a contest !

QTEX
10-23-2012, 09:02 PM
oh no experiment at home yes learned that mistake a long time ago.

RangerJ
10-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Farmland st louis or HEB market trimmed st Louis

For once Justin and I agree on something!

If I feel like doing some extra work, I'll just buy the 3 pack at Sams and trim my own.

Did pretty well with Ribs in multiple organizations this year, so I don't see the need to spend anymore additional dollars on them

Jacked UP BBQ
10-24-2012, 12:18 PM

I have used duroc, berkshire, never mangalitsa, all natural, solution enhanced. I will say that I believe there is no difference when the rib is finally cooked perfectly between, duroc, berkshire, all natural. Enhanced ribs sometimes get hammy if they are in solution long, but if cooked perfectly I dont believe there is a huge difference. If you want to start talking pork chops thats a different story, buy the berkshire!

QTEX
10-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the replys every body, if the Compart deal comes through I'll ya'll know how they turn out.

Rich Parker
10-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Excel ribs are my favorite.

Podge
10-25-2012, 12:30 PM
I remember back in the day we could get Premium Standard Farms.. best ribs out there!!.. It's a shame they are no more. I like Swift now.

Q-Dat
10-25-2012, 12:56 PM

I'm anxious to try them. The local Save A Lot has them for $1.99/lb pretty much all the time. They look well marbled with few shiners and a decent amount of meat between the bones.

BABYGOTBUTT
10-25-2012, 06:32 PM
If you are into doing baby backs, we have had good results with Safeways extra meaty ribs

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
10-25-2012, 08:20 PM

+1 ^^^^ Pork butts too!

BigAshHole
10-25-2012, 08:32 PM
They are way overpriced but Whole Foods St Louis ribs are huge slabs. The Sam's packs are usually pretty good. I dont have much issue with "All Flap"