PDA

View Full Version : My Golden Dog review

Toronto
10-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Just got this in the mail and decided to snap a few pix for those interested in picking up a unit. I havent used it yet but I am planning on smoking a pork butt on the weekend if weather permits. This thread is for keeping everything in one place, I will probably put up a full review in the Q forum once its complete. Any photo editing you see is just me trying to get my reflection out of the picture.

Everything that was included(I have a water bottle in there for size comparison):

http://i50.tinypic.com/imi8e9.jpg

The controller from the front:

http://i47.tinypic.com/35isobk.jpg

Controller from the back:

http://i45.tinypic.com/jphn69.jpg

Blower:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ztf5l1.jpg

Back of the plug:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2hp4oi9.jpg

Toronto
10-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Unofficial Instruction Manual for Golden-Dog

http://i49.tinypic.com/2m2sx2h.png There are two displays and they are labelled PV / SV. The current temperature is the top display(PV) and the lower one(SV) is used for setting your desired temperature.

http://i45.tinypic.com/nzrm9f.png The LED Display.

RUN: This green colored LED will blink very rapidly when the fan is in the OFF setting and blink slowly when the fan is in the ON setting. In the OFF setting you will see ---- in the SV display.

Hi: This red colored LED is the high temperature alarm light.

Lo: This red colored LED is the low temperature alarm light.

http://i50.tinypic.com/mihxzm.png The controls are located below the LED display and they consist of four buttons:

http://i50.tinypic.com/29mvq4m.png This button has three menu's:

Menu #1 - activated by a single click.
Menu #2 - activated by pressing and holding the button down.
Menu #3 - activated by continuing to hold the button down while it is in Menu #2.

Menu #1 (Single Click): This will cycle you through the 4 stage temperature setting. Each button click will move you through the menu starting at SC1 and ending at AH4.

SC1 SC2 SC3 SC4
RC1 RC2 RC3 RC4
AL1 AL2 AL3 AL4
AH1 AH2 AH3 AH4

Legend:
SC= Desired pit temperature.
RC= Timing at desired pit temperature.
AL= Low temperature alarm, to turn this off set it at a temperature that will never be reached; example 0001.
AH= High temperature alarm, to turn this off set it at a temperature that will never be reached; example 0600.
1-4= This number represents the stage that it is in.

If you want only one temperature stage, simply set SC2 to 0000, it will now ignore the remaining stages.

Menu #2 (Press and Hold): This will bring you to the second menu, a single click will cycle through the menu and pressing and holding the button will bring you out of the menu.

F – C (default SV value 0000 set to Celsius): Changing the value to 0001 sets it to Fahrenheit.
SL1 (default SV value 1111): Internal parameter to define mode of alarm. For BBQ use, leave at default value.
SL2 (default SV value 1011): Internal parameter to define mode of alarm. For BBQ use, leave at default value.
HdC (default SV value 0100): Fan speed > 0001=slowest setting > 0100=fastest setting

Menu #3 (Continuing to hold the button while in Menu #2): This will bring you to the third menu, a single click will cycle through the menu and pressing and holding the button will bring you out of the menu.

P (default SV value 0030)= PID setting. Google PID controllers for a long winded explanation.
I (default SV value 0240)= PID setting. Google PID controllers for a long winded explanation.
D (default SV value 0060)= PID setting. Google PID controllers for a long winded explanation.
*AR (default SV value 0100)= use default, not sure what this does.
*r (default SV value 0000)= use default, not sure what this does.
Pb (default SV value 0000)= used to calibrate the temperature probe.
UdC (default SV value 0000)= this value must be changed when using the larger 50CFM fan. I am not certain of the value needed for the 50CFM fan.
*LCY (default SV value 0000)= use default, not sure what this does.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2nlsgh4.png This button scrolls left with every click, it is used to easily enter large numbers without having to do it sequentially. This button will also start and stop the fan.

http://i48.tinypic.com/10ftlkg.png This is used to lower the current number on the SV display.

http://i48.tinypic.com/fq9vc.png This is used to raise the current number on the SV display.

*indicates functions I do not understand.

woodpelletsmoker
10-22-2012, 07:14 PM
SL1,SL2 are internal parameter to define mode of alarm. For BBQ use, please use default value.
HDC is maximum fan speed. In a small pit, you may define it as 50%, 60%,70%,80% ect.

SC is TARGETED pit temperature.
RC is keeping time under SC
AH high temperature alarm
AL Low temperature alarm

If you do not want alarm or neighbor friendly, you can simply set a big AH,AL.
If you want ONE temperature stage, simply set SC2=0, it will ignore following stages

woodpelletsmoker
10-22-2012, 07:15 PM
*Hi: Not sure what this is for. high temperature alarm light

*Lo: Not sure what this is for. LOW temperature alarm light

woodpelletsmoker
10-22-2012, 07:17 PM
press "SET" and hold longer time, it will appear P.I.D.
For advanced settings, you can change P,I,D

Toronto
10-22-2012, 08:23 PM
press "SET" and hold longer time, it will appear P.I.D.
For advanced settings, you can change P,I,D

Question 1: What are the other values in this menu? Also, should I leave my PID values at default?

P (default SV value 0030)= PID menu
I (default SV value 0240)= PID menu
D (default SV value 0060)= PID menu
*AR (default SV value 0100)= No idea what this is for.
*r (default SV value 0000)= No idea what this is for.
*Pb (default SV value 0000)= No idea what this is for.
*UdC (default SV value 0000)= No idea what this is for.
*LCY (default SV value 0000)= No idea what this is for.

woodpelletsmoker
10-22-2012, 08:49 PM
set AH=600, AL=10, usually the alarm will be disabled

P (default SV value 0030)= PID menu
I (default SV value 0240)= PID menu
D (default SV value 0060)= PID menu
*AR (default SV value 0100)= use default
*r (default SV value 0000)= use default
*Pb (default SV value 0000)= probe calibration
*UdC (default SV value 0000)= minimum speed of fan
*LCY (default SV value 0000)= use default

Toronto
10-22-2012, 08:55 PM
set AH=600, AL=10, usually the alarm will be disabled

I want to turn off the beeping sound that happens when I push a button, is it possible to make it completely silent?

RC#= Desired timing at targeted pit temperature.

Does 1 = 1 minute? i.e. 0060 = 1 hour?

Mapleleaf
10-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Great stuff..keep it coming I will be getting my DOG shortly and will add my experience.

woodpelletsmoker
10-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Time is in minute

Toronto
10-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Woodpelletsmoker, couple of more questions for you:

Pb (default SV value 0000)= used to calibrate the temperature probe.

How does this work? What happens when you change the SV values?

UdC (default SV value 0000)= this value must be changed when using the larger 50CFM fan. I am not certain of the value needed for the 50CFM fan.

What SV value is needed when changing to the 50CFM fan?

http://i50.tinypic.com/2nlsgh4.png This button scrolls left with every click, it is used to easily enter large numbers without having to do it sequentially. This button will also start and stop the fan.

After changing the HDC value to 0050, this button no longer stop/start the fan. When I push the button it will stop for 2 seconds and then begin blowing at 0100 power, is this normal?

I want to turn off the beeping sound that happens when I push a button, is it possible to make it completely silent?

I am going to assume that you cannot make this unit silent. This may be a feature you want to add if you decide to make changes to this model. I find the beeping to be unnecessary and rather loud. I can see the changes I made on the LCD display so the beeping is not required for me, others may have a different opinion.

--------------Readers Note-----------------

This forum has a time limit for making changes to your post, due to this fact I cannot update the 'Unofficial Instructions' in the thread but will be doing so manually in a WORD file. I will make it available via download with rapidshare or something to that effect once it is complete.

Mapleleaf
10-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Interesting...2 questions:

What kind of system are you mounting it on?

Did you order the 50cfm fan specifically?

If these questions are disruptive, I can move this to PM.

thanks

Mapleleaf

Toronto
10-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Interesting...2 questions:

What kind of system are you mounting it on?

Did you order the 50cfm fan specifically?

If these questions are disruptive, I can move this to PM.

thanks

Mapleleaf

Hey Mapleleaf, not disruptive at all, id be happy to answer your questions. I do my smoking in my 22in Weber OTS. I did not order the 50CFM fan, I asked for the sake of others and will be adding it to my unofficial manual.

I plan to do something similar to this:

http://youtu.be/lS5L7l9VZLU

This is the reason why I chose that adapter, I figured it would be easiest to mount a 1in hose to it. I will also be throwing my Maverick in that box as well and probably have something to block the sun. Although I find the box to be rather ugly the functionality of it out weighs that for me.

To mount it to my kettle I will be using a dog dish, bolt, wingnut, toggle nut and 1inch pvc piping:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-128588856314212_2229_8968699

The Cosmic Pig
10-24-2012, 09:46 AM
I take it this is the newest version of Woodpellet's product? Nice! Much more modern appearance and I like the wiring harness and all! What does this model cost?

Toronto
10-24-2012, 09:50 AM
I take it this is the newest version of Woodpellet's product? Nice! Much more modern appearance and I like the wiring harness and all! What does this model cost?

The controller in that video is actually the Pitmaster iQue110. Google it if you want to know more.

The Cosmic Pig
10-24-2012, 09:57 AM
No, I was referring to the "Golden-Dog."

Toronto
10-24-2012, 10:03 AM
No, I was referring to the "Golden-Dog."

My mistake, yes that is his new model, I believe he still has 1 unit available for $58USD(promo price) but you are expected to write a review.

The Cosmic Pig
10-24-2012, 10:17 AM
My mistake, yes that is his new model, I believe he still has 1 unit available for $58USD(promo price) but you are expected to write a review.

Do I understand correctly that the fan speed is variable up to 50 cfm?
What type smoker will this fit without too much trouble or, more specifically, a WSM and/or a Backwoods Competitor? Thanks!

deguerre
10-24-2012, 10:26 AM
No manual? The controls (As well as device specific terminology), as shown in above comments, are hardly intuitive. Seems odd that a user guide would not be included.

Toronto
10-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Do I understand correctly that the fan speed is variable up to 50 cfm? What type smoker will this fit without too much trouble or, more specifically, a WSM and/or a Backwoods Competitor? Thanks!

Yes but you would need to purchase the 50CFM package, the one pictured in my original post is the 10CFM package and below is the 50CFM model:

http://allchinas.com/dogpackage6.jpg

The upgrade I believe is +10USD. Wang can also make custom adapters to your liking if you message him the details, I believe he has done so already for others on the board. If you follow this link you will see the standard adapters that he carries: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143570

Toronto
10-24-2012, 10:33 AM
No manual? The controls (As well as device specific terminology), as shown in above comments, are hardly intuitive. Seems odd that a user guide would not be included.

I thought so as well initially but later learned that Wang actually makes all of this stuff himself. To put it in another light, we are talking directly with the manufacturer. I am not certain if he has instructions in Chinese but as you can see in his replies English is not his first language and writing a manual himself would probably be counter productive.

deguerre
10-24-2012, 11:40 AM
I thought so as well initially but later learned that Wang actually makes all of this stuff himself. To put it in another light, we are talking directly with the manufacturer. I am not certain if he has instructions in Chinese but as you can see in his replies English is not his first language and writing a manual himself would probably be counter productive.

Which tells me the consumer is helplessly lost without direct contact with the maker. He could easily make one translation (Even an imperfect one) and simply xerox it for each unit built. Heck. He could provide a PDF link on the interwebs.

Toronto
10-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Which tells me the consumer is helplessly lost without direct contact with the maker. He could easily make one translation (Even an imperfect one) and simply xerox it for each unit built. Heck. He could provide a PDF link on the interwebs.

If you want retail packaging and documentation then I would suggest going with the many number of US based companies, the trade off is the higher price tag. I actually paid less for this controller than I did for my Maverick thermometer.

By nature, I like tinkering with things so not having a manual wasnt an issue for me. I read enough in the other threads to know what I was getting into before I dove in.

I understand that Wang doesnt have a marketing department or a sales staff or anything of the likes so expecting North American style customer service or anything close it is probably not going to happen.

The intention of my thread to be as neutral as possible and provide useful information for those who were interested, nothing more nothing less.

deguerre
10-24-2012, 12:44 PM
The intention of my thread to be as neutral as possible and provide useful information for those who were interested, nothing more nothing less.

Yep, understood. And I am interested, or more intrigued actually, in his several products so far. They have a certain raw beauty to them and seem to work well from accounts I've read too. Still though, for those who don't like to tinker, it could be an issue and as such, I thought it merited a mention.

Mapleleaf
10-24-2012, 01:13 PM
I am a tinkerer too and I am intrigued by this. The cost to my door of this system (with the promo price) shipped to my door is about a third the cost of the Auber System and at least half that of the IQ.

I'm willing it invest some time into it.

Just have to break out my old calculus book.:biggrin1: Just kidding.

Toronto
10-24-2012, 01:54 PM
I think the presets that he keeps mentioning in Thegizzard's review would be a good point to start if you dont want to dust off that calc book.

1. P=0030 I=0240 D=0060 (This is what is on the Dog as a default)

2. P=0030 I=0000 D=0000
3. P=0060 I=0000 D=0000
4. P=0010 I=0000 D=0000
5. P=0015 I=0000 D=0000
6. P=0007 I=0000 D=0000

*The larger the P, the SLOWER the temperature will rise, when I & D are 0000.
*The smaller the P, the FASTER the temperature will rise, when I & D are 0000.

Setting I & D to 0000 while playing around with P is all you really need to do to fine tune it if I am understanding him correctly.

For those of you that understand these graphs here you go:

http://allchinas.com/probe/pid1.jpg

deguerre
10-24-2012, 01:58 PM
^^^^^ Excellent.

woodpelletsmoker
10-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Sorry men and women too?
I run one man business. All is done by myself.
I do not have marketing department, or I am doing marketing too.
I will try to translate manual of DOG in one or two days.
As DOG is a degraded( I am suggested not using word of degrade) model of WOLF, indeed you can use manual of WOLF. www.allchinas.com/probe/manual.htm

woodpelletsmoker
10-24-2012, 07:19 PM
For your information. DOG has ONE probe
WOLF has TWO probes.One for pit, the other for meat.Highlight is that MEAT probe controls fire also. I am sure that all other competitors use meat probe for MONITORING only, NOT for CONTROLLING

Toronto
10-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Well it looks like I will be doing my trial run tomorrow instead of the weekend(its raining). I have a 10lbs butt that I am defrosting now.

- I plan to do it Hot n Fast @ 325F. I will be rubbing(1/3c salt, 1/3c pepper, 1/3c paprika and a few teaspoons of other things)using mustard as my adhesive with no injection (trying to keep it KISS).
- I plan to put it in ‘naked’ until 160F internal temp and then place it in a tray covered in foil until 200F internal temp or until probe tender.
- When it reaches 200F or probe tender I will wrap it in foil then a towel and then let it rest in a cooler for 1 hour.
- After the hour I will return the butt to the tray with the drippings(fat skimmed out) and pull the meat, if timing allows I will throw it back on so the meat can cook in its own juice.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ur16dv.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2czacep.jpg

Mapleleaf
10-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Looks good..keep the details and pics coming please.

Toronto
10-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Well the cook went relatively well but I think it could have used another hour or so of cooking. I threw her on at 12:30PM and she came off at 4:45PM, internal temp was 202F and I foiled and rested it for an hour.

First I want to mention this, for some reason the Dog thermometer and my Maverick were never in sync, im not sure which one was accurate but I chose the Maverick since it is wireless. I plan to do the water boil test to see which one is off.

With that said here is my review(forgot to take pix when I smelled the pork, sorry), the Dog held temps very well once it reached the targeted temperature. Not having a mounting clip for the probe was a bit of an issue, I used half of lime as a stand but that threw off the temp, I then laid it on the grill which also threw temps off, I finally stuck it in with the Maverick mount so that both probes made a cross.

As I already mentioned the temps were not in sync so how did I overcome this? Once I reached my desired temp 350F(according to the Maverick), I took note of the temp reading on the Dog and set my SC1 to that temp 371F. Temps fluctuated up and down by 5F but for the most part it held rock solid.

This unit does not recognize when you open the lid and registers it as a temp drop, the fan will blow at full speed until you replace the lid. This was an issue for me when I went to add more charcoal.

In conclusion, the Dog did what it was supposed to do according to the temps it displayed. My only issue is that the temps were not in sync with my Maverick but besides that im happy with it. Hopefully this temp issue can be solved by adjusting the PB setting on the unit.

woodpelletsmoker
10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
1.yes you can calibrate temperature by adjusting parameter of Pb.
2.The DOG can MEMORY. Before you open the cover of your smoker, simply turn off the power of DOG. When you turn on the power. the DOG will continue the program instead of starting over again.

I do not use auto-detection of cover opening because there is a delay of temperature dropping when opening cover. It is more reliable by turning off and on of power switch

deguerre
10-26-2012, 11:17 AM
2.The DOG can MEMORY. Before you open the cover of your smoker, simply turn off the power of DOG. When you turn on the power. the DOG will continue the program instead of starting over again.

I do not use auto-detection of cover opening because there is a delay of temperature dropping when opening cover. It is more reliable by turning off and on of power switch

You know, that's pretty clever.

Toronto
10-26-2012, 04:09 PM

The setting I have it on is 0000, what does it do when I increase this number?

I will do this next cook.

woodpelletsmoker
10-26-2012, 08:30 PM
The setting I have it on is 0000, what does it do when I increase this number?
I will do this next cook.
boiling water is 100C,
Ice and water mix is 0C
by pressing "+" or "-" change value of Pb.

Mapleleaf
10-26-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm interested in the temperature discrepancy..let me know what you find out.

woodpelletsmoker
10-27-2012, 03:18 AM
operational manual at www.allchinas.com/probe/dog.htm

Toronto
10-29-2012, 11:08 AM
So I had a chance to do the ice water + boiling water test and this is what I learned.

I did the test in Celsius since it was easier to remember 0C and 100C. Both the Maverick and the Dog came within 2-3C of each other for both ice water and boiling water. I stuck it in ice water then boiled then ice water and boiled again then ice watered a final time. It took about 1 minute for it to reach the correct temp. The difference came in how fast they registered the temp drops but it didnt seem to affect it as much when the temp rose. I noticed the Dog registered temp drops at a much slower rate but eventually all probes settled at the correct temp. I did not change the PB setting on the Dog for this test.

I think one or two more cooks with it and I should be able to write a conclusive final review.

woodpelletsmoker
10-29-2012, 07:17 PM
DOG has a BIGGER probe.
The probe itself acts in some degree as heat sink.
If you consider your smoking time is HORUs, one or two minutes delay is neglectable

Toronto
10-30-2012, 08:48 AM
DOG has a BIGGER probe.
The probe itself acts in some degree as heat sink.
If you consider your smoking time is HORUs, one or two minutes delay is neglectable

That makes sense, the Dog probe is substantially thicker than both of my Maverick probes. This also some what explains why it registers temp drops slower, its larger and retains heat more readily.

I plan to do a cook with the Dog as the main temp instrument and my Mavericks as secondary, I will update when I do. Hopefully ill remember to take pix this time, heh.

Mapleleaf
11-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Great stuff..I'll probably just leave PID parameters at default unitl I get to know it a bit better.

Just getting a "new to me" sidebox smoker up and going now to test.

Toronto
11-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Well I finished the manual and have uploaded it here for anyone who wants it(let me know if it is not working):

http://www.4shared.com/file/y248veeB/Dog_manual.html

It is in DOCX format, or WORD, you will need Microsoft Office to open the file. Wang, feel free to use this if you want in your dog packages. If anyone wants to add on to the manual or see corrections let me know.

Cook #2 Baby back ribs:

Doing two slabs tomorrow as the weather is going to be nice. Gonna use the Dog as the main temp instrument and see what happens. Running them at 275F and doing the 3-2-1 method with modified timing. I want to spray them this time with apple juice through the top vents on my kettle. Will also try to remember to take some pix this time.

woodpelletsmoker
11-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Well I finished the manual and have uploaded it here for anyone who wants it(let me know if it is not working):

http://www.4shared.com/file/y248veeB/Dog_manual.html

It is in DOCX format, or WORD, you will need Microsoft Office to open the file. Wang, feel free to use this if you want in your dog packages. If anyone wants to add on to the manual or see corrections let me know.

Cook #2 Baby back ribs:

Doing two slabs tomorrow as the weather is going to be nice. Gonna use the Dog as the main temp instrument and see what happens. Running them at 275F and doing the 3-2-1 method with modified timing. I want to spray them this time with apple juice through the top vents on my kettle. Will also try to remember to take some pix this time.
But our lovely China government blocks that server and I can not view it.
Could you please send to my mail box eBay@allchinas.com

Toronto
11-10-2012, 07:55 PM
But our lovely China government blocks that server and I can not view it.
Could you please send to my mail box eBay@allchinas.com

Just sent it to you, please disregard my first email and use the second one.

I also converted it from a Word file to a PDF for everyone else since PDF readers are free:

http://www.4shared.com/office/gT3phXMN/Dog_manual_2.html

woodpelletsmoker
11-10-2012, 08:19 PM
THANKS a lot.

Toronto
11-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Second cook went very well and all the ribs are gone. My brother and a friend of his was over, they made quick work of ribs, I wasnt able to get a pic off before they got too it. I do have these though:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ug2q6e.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/9iwwg2.jpg

The Dog once again held temps very well and once again the were not in sync with the Maverick at all. At times the Maverick would read 320F while the Dog read 275 and at other times the Maverick would read 300 and the dog would be around 275. Now for me personally this is rather annoying and I have an idea to fix this issue. I plan on buying a Maverick replacement probe and jury rigging that to the Dog since its essentially undoing two screws on the back of the plug:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2hp4oi9.jpg

This should in theory make the probes identical and I shouldnt have this problem any more. I figure I can also play around with the PB setting until the Maverick probe is calibrated. I really want it to be in sync with my Maverick since its wireless and the Dog is not.

As you can see in the pic above I used a lime cut in half as a stand for Dog probe, it worked pretty well and does not throw temps off as I initially thought it would.

Notes to Wang: You should consider using a smaller probe similar to the one the Maverick uses. The majority of people use and trust this brand. If I didnt do the testing I think a lot of people would have thought the Dog probe was broken when in fact it is not. It is simply larger and will always read different at high temps since as you said it acts as a heat sink. I also think the Maverick style probes are more cost effective since they are smaller which will be beneficial to you. The other thing is not having a clip for the probe is really annoying, you should considering making a probe clip. Not having to buy extra little things really helps with the overall finished feeling of the product.

woodpelletsmoker
11-11-2012, 11:43 PM
In next shipment I will change probe.
Present probe is strong and sturdy and is much more expensive!
But due to its heavy mass, it takes 1 to 2 minutes to react.
Also I will send a free SS clip.

Mapleleaf
11-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Excellent effort on the manual..I'm just getting my smoker together and will be using it soon. I'll share my ideas.

I have the DOG now and it looks pretty good. I have yet to test it.

I will take a SS clip as well if they are available. Let me know the cost.

woodpelletsmoker
11-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Excellent effort on the manual..I'm just getting my smoker together and will be using it soon. I'll share my ideas.

I have the DOG now and it looks pretty good. I have yet to test it.

I will take a SS clip as well if they are available. Let me know the cost.
SAL mail cost shall be $5

Toronto
11-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Oh I forgot to mention that I used the 'trick' that Wang mentioned when I opened the lid on my kettle. I found that waiting 5 minutes before turning the controller back on really helped to eliminate the temp spikes that I had on my first cook.

Initially I just covered the kettle and turned the dog back on but I noticed this wasnt the most ideal way to use this method. I suggest giving it a couple of minutes to build up some heat and allow the temp to settle before turning the Dog back on, I found 5 minutes was the perfect timing for me.

I will probably do one more cook with the Dog and the replacement Maverick probe. Once the final cook is complete I will publish my final review in the Q forum.

Toronto
11-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Its come to my attention that you need to register to that file hosting site in order to download the manual. I have moved it to another site where registration is not required:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/1wzuyn5yetzj/n/Dog_manual.pdf

Toronto
11-24-2012, 08:43 AM
So my replacement probe came in from ebay today and I wen to go cut the old probe only to find that it is a single wire. The temp probe on the Dog is 2 wires, I dont think I will be to jury rig this to the Dog after all.

Wang, is there a way to hook up this probe to the Dog even though it is a single wire?

woodpelletsmoker
11-24-2012, 08:53 AM
DOG 's probe has THREE wires. The probe is PT100.

woodpelletsmoker
11-24-2012, 09:10 AM
My probe is bigger and stronger. But it acts as heat sink too.
Its reaction is a little slower. 1 or 2 minutes delay does not effect your smoking if considering your total smoking time is 10+hours.
As the output of DOG is P.I.D. variable voltage, the controller is smart enough to consider this delay itsself.
But I do have thinner probe for fast reaction.

woodpelletsmoker
11-26-2012, 03:02 AM
http://www.allchinas.com/probe/smallprobe.jpg
Please find the new pit probe above, it is 2" length, about 1/3rd of original probe.

I made comparison between old thicker probe, this new short thinner probe, and a wireless thermometer. The thicker and longer probe reacts a few seconds slower than the short thinner probe. I placed three probes in warm water and ice water and took videos. Unfortunately I can not upload to Youtube as youtube is blocked by our lovely China government.
Mass of probe has less effect, but the position of probe is decisive factor.

"Maverick would read 320F while the Dog read 275 and at other times the Maverick would read 300 and the dog would be around 275"
please fasten the two probes together and try again.
and please calibrate DOG and your Maverick again.
It could be even better to try third thermometer at exactly the same place too.

woodpelletsmoker
11-26-2012, 03:02 AM
Video I, responding time of different probes http://my.ku6.com/watch?v=PyS2XVrZR39ifujXn24-xQ..#share
Temperature difference is due to different place of probes, contacting walls of cup or not, touching bottom or side wall

Video II , three probes in ice and water, http://my.ku6.com/watch?v=jNZBX6XVP9B6b1N3xL4NYQ..#share

Toronto
11-28-2012, 09:52 AM
How much are the new smaller probes? I will probably wait until spring before I buy one, I dont BBQ during the winter.

As you can see in post #47 in the second picture, I have my Dog and Maverick probe right beside each other, they are not touching anything and they are both placed as far from the heat source as possible. The Maverick is held by its stand and the Dog is held in place by a lime cut in half.

My first cook the variance was just as bad but I wanted to reserve my judgement until I did some test. The ice water and boiling water test proved to me that the probes do read proper temps but for some reason they just wont sync with my Maverick.

The only conclusion that I could come to was that the larger probe held heat longer, especially at higher temps, it takes quite a while for it to cool down compared to the Maverick. If the temp difference was static between the two (i.e. always 25F off or always 50F off) then this wouldnt be much of an issue. The issue is that the variance can range from 1F to 50F at any given time, that margin of error is too large for me and I need a better solution.

woodpelletsmoker
11-28-2012, 09:43 PM
smaller probe is $10.But I can send you a free for comparison purpose.
I made comparison again on gas stove, the old big probe and the new small probe on WOLF and wireless thermometer. Small probe responds faster than big probe. But this difference of responding speed can be ignored. It is nothing but 10 to 20 seconds.
Also I find probe position is very sensitive. When doing test, you must band two probes together.
One on left and the other on right, then exchange position. also put one on top the other, and then exchange position.

woodpelletsmoker
11-29-2012, 01:47 AM
“a lime cut in half. ”
pardon my poor English, what do you mean by lime.
Is it something like orange.
If yes, it must be WET, which can LOWER temperature of probe.
This must be the reason why DOG is always lower than Maverick.

Toronto
11-29-2012, 10:17 AM
smaller probe is $10.But I can send you a free for comparison purpose.
I made comparison again on gas stove, the old big probe and the new small probe on WOLF and wireless thermometer. Small probe responds faster than big probe. But this difference of responding speed can be ignored. It is nothing but 10 to 20 seconds.
Also I find probe position is very sensitive. When doing test, you must band two probes together.
One on left and the other on right, then exchange position. also put one on top the other, and then exchange position.

My first cook I used a lime and thought that threw off the temps so then I removed it from the lime and stuck it in with the Maverick stand like this, the red line is where I had the Dog probe.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2emj5vk.png

The temps still bounced up and down between 1F - 50F at any given time even though I did not use a lime. If you want you can send me the smaller probe and ill do some comparison test in my kettle, I probably wont be doing any more cooks until spring since its too cold out for me.

a lime cut in half.
pardon my poor English, what do you mean by lime.
Is it something like orange.
If yes, it must be WET, which can LOWER temperature of probe.
This must be the reason why DOG is always lower than Maverick.

The lime I used was actually from a previous cook so it was completely dried out, I kept it to use as a stand for the Dog probe.

woodpelletsmoker
11-29-2012, 07:48 PM
I will send you a small probe on Monday.
Please put Maverick and my probe, and hopefully third thermometer TOGETHER

Toronto
12-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Ill do the testing and report back to this thread. Can you also send me a clip for the new probe? This will eliminate any errors in terms of touching the grill and causing off temp readings.

woodpelletsmoker
12-06-2012, 08:40 AM
sent the short/slim probe with 2 pieces of clip today.
By the way did you calibrate your Maverick too.
I just read following post under Q-Talk

Today, 10:17 PM #1
stephan
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thermometers

I was doing a some chicken yesterday in my safe all was well for about an hour. I went out just to check the temp and my door thermometer read 450 degrees, WTH I checked my remote thermometer and it was 325. The chicken came out great but I did a check on my door thermometer and it was way off close to 300 in boiling water and it would not go below 70 in the freezer. I know its been said before but its just an example of don't trust any thermometer completely. On a side note this thermometer is adjustable but I couldn't get it to read right if I corrected for the boiling temp them low end was off and vice versa its only about 6-7 months old Ill give Pitmaker a call and see what happens.

Toronto
12-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Ill do the ice water + boiling water test again before I try it in my kettle.

Toronto
12-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Just wanted to update this thread, I received the new probe and clips and they look great. Unfortunately there was a pretty big snow storm here recently and I have put away my kettle for the winter.

I will report back when I complete some testing on the Kettle. I may do the ice water+boiling water test with the new probe since thats indoors but any testing in my Kettle will probably be in Spring or when the weather permits.

woodpelletsmoker
12-28-2012, 07:56 PM
If you have a ceramic smoker, will you do smoking in winter.
I am thinking to sell 10" to 12" dia. Kamado, which can be sent via post office door to door directly to Canada and UK. With my controller, you do not need to stand at yard to take care of it. Maybe it can be used in winter

Toronto
12-29-2012, 09:06 AM
For me personally I wouldnt do any BBQing in the winter, I just dont think its worth it. A few days ago we had a snow storm and had 50cm of snow. It is supposed to snow all day today as well and we are expected to get another 50cm. If I lived some where that it snowed lightly I would think about it but where I live it snows way too much.

woodpelletsmoker
12-29-2012, 07:07 PM
IN Beijing our day time temperature is -5C. light snow a few times.
This winter seems the coldest!
Still I can do smoking by ceramic pit in my yard.
My Brother lives in Toronto, temperature there is higher than in Beijing.
But Beijing is more south than Toronto.

Toronto
12-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Our summers are warm and humid but our winters are cold and snowy. We havent had snowfall here like this since March 2010 but normally during the coldest part of winter we get as low as -30C. I had a friend whos parents were from Beijing, her dad thought he knew what winter was but quickly learned its very different in Canada with the wind chill.

2010-2012 was unusually warm for us here in Toronto and we have had very little snowfall until now.

pixcolor
01-05-2013, 12:54 PM
If you have a ceramic smoker, will you do smoking in winter.
I am thinking to sell 10" to 12" dia. Kamado, which can be sent via post office door to door directly to Canada and UK. With my controller, you do not need to stand at yard to take care of it. Maybe it can be used in winter

I do some BBQ in the winter on my Visions ceramic. I smoked a pork butt a couple weeks ago at -20C. Started about 10:00 P.M. and got the temp to 225F with the Golden Dog controller. Next morning temp was still at 225, but a few hours later I ran into a problem I hadn't anticipated. Condensation had dripped on the fan, got inside, and froze the trap door shut. Worked O.K. after I got it cleaned out again. Looks like I will have to mount the fan in a box and get the stainless hose. I would also be very interested in your 12" dia. Kamado. What would be the price of it?

woodpelletsmoker
01-06-2013, 02:04 AM
12" kamado(grill size 10"), together with mechanical thermostat+10 CFM fan+ AC/DC adapter $160, Surface mail door to door $100. Total $260
Surface mail takes 6 to 12 weeks depanding on your location and lucky.

Toronto
01-07-2013, 12:57 PM
I do some BBQ in the winter on my Visions ceramic. I smoked a pork butt a couple weeks ago at -20C.

I take it the controller itself was fine @ -20C?

Did you have something protecting it from the wind or was it just out in the open?

pixcolor
01-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Yes, the controller itself was fine. I had it in a plastic box. Now I'll have to use a bigger one so I can put the fan in also when I get the hose.

woodpelletsmoker
01-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Yes, the controller itself was fine. I had it in a plastic box. Now I'll have to use a bigger one so I can put the fan in also when I get the hose.
If you want to use my corrugated hose, you need full system.Only corrugated hose does not work for you.
At each end of corrugated hose I weld adapters for fan and for smoker.
price of the fan adapter, corrugated hose, and adapter to smoker US$50
free SAl mail
free plastix box

pixcolor
01-07-2013, 09:04 PM
If you want to use my corrugated hose, you need full system.Only corrugated hose does not work for you.
At each end of corrugated hose I weld adapters for fan and for smoker.
free SAl mail
free plastix box

Yes, that will do. I don't need the plastic box, but I would like to add two of the new small pit probes with clips and two of the green plugs for the golden dog. I would like to change the wiring so that I can plug fan, probe, and power separately. Let me know the total cost and how to pay. Thanks

woodpelletsmoker
01-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Two small pit probes $20
2 pieces of green plug for dog, free
Total $70
Please make payment to eBay@allchinas.com via www.paypal.com
I suppose that you need adapter to ceramic grill, please advise size of air inlet

pixcolor
01-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Two small pit probes $20
2 pieces of green plug for dog, free
Total $70
Please make payment to eBay@allchinas.com via www.paypal.com
I suppose that you need adapter to ceramic grill, please advise size of air inlet

The flange A which came with the Dog works well. I believe it is about
5cm X 7.5cm.
It has four holes for mounting which I would rather not have.

woodpelletsmoker
01-08-2013, 03:28 AM
The flange A which came with the Dog works well. I believe it is about
5cm X 7.5cm.
It has four holes for mounting which I would rather not have.
Is it OK

pixcolor
01-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Is it OK

Yes, that will work.

pixcolor
01-09-2013, 07:43 PM
would it be possible to get the same adapter on both ends?. The one I described, with the four holes.

woodpelletsmoker
01-09-2013, 11:19 PM
would it be possible to get the same adapter on both ends?. The one I described, with the four holes.

http://allchinas.com/probe/corrugated1.jpg

On the one end of corrugated pipe ,there is fan adapter with thread.(inside the plastic box)
On the other end, there are 3 options, a flat ROUND flange adapter, a rectangual flange adapter for ceramic pit, and adapter for Weber.

My last reply was wrong, there is not square adapter with 4 holes(as fan adapter A),

please check this picture, and let me know which you need. I guess that you shall use the rectangual flange for ceramic pit. If so, I need the size

pixcolor
01-10-2013, 02:19 PM
How does the threaded end fit on the fan?

pixcolor
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
http://allchinas.com/probe/corrugated1.jpg

On the one end of corrugated pipe ,there is fan adapter with thread.(inside the plastic box)
On the other end, there are 3 options, a flat ROUND flange adapter, a rectangual flange adapter for ceramic pit, and adapter for Weber.

My last reply was wrong, there is not square adapter with 4 holes(as fan adapter A),

please check this picture, and let me know which you need. I guess that you shall use the rectangual flange for ceramic pit. If so, I need the size

Yes,, the rectangular one, same size as fan adapter A, which I believe is 5cmX7.5cm thanks

pixcolor
02-09-2013, 08:29 PM
How is my order coming?

woodpelletsmoker
02-09-2013, 08:31 PM
How is my order coming?
I sent a few weeks ago.
the Florida buyer had received on Jan.26, which I sent the same day as yours

pixcolor
02-09-2013, 10:00 PM
thank you

Toronto
02-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Dont have any pics but I bought one of these:

http://www.lowes.ca/smokers/master-forge-29-in-376-sq-in-green-charcoal-vertical-smoker_g1429437.html?isku=9899174&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

Did some chicken and ribs for Family day long weekend. The first night I did the chicken and the next night I did a couple of racks of ribs. The smaller Dog probe was exactly what I was looking for, my Maverick probe and the Dog probe are close enough now for me to say they are in sync. It was -24C outside on the second day with the windchill where I was cooking and the Maverick transmitter stopped working but the Dog keep chugging along, I had it in shoebox. (EDIT: now that I think about it, the batteries probably froze on the Maverick which is why it stopped working)

I want to do a cook or two more and get some pics so I can do a final review with this new probe.

woodpelletsmoker
02-23-2013, 08:23 PM
-24C, where did you put your smoker, inside or outside.
In Beijing we reached to -17 a few days. Now Beijing is -2C to 7 C.
I was planning to make pizza, but sky is foggy again, heavy pollution.
I have to give up my pizza

woodpelletsmoker
02-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Also my AC/DC adapter is big enough, you can use it to power your Maverick at same time.
Can you do soldering on your Maverick

Toronto
02-23-2013, 11:19 PM
-24C, where did you put your smoker, inside or outside.
In Beijing we reached to -17 a few days. Now Beijing is -2C to 7 C.
I was planning to make pizza, but sky is foggy again, heavy pollution.
I have to give up my pizza

I had it outside by the side of the buliding and put it inside of Puma shoebox like this:

http://projects.wilsonbrothers.co.uk/store/image/file/09/f5/bbuisi/box.jpg

You can see the holes on the box that I used to for the probes and AC plug.

Also my AC/DC adapter is big enough, you can use it to power your Maverick at same time.
Can you do soldering on your Maverick

I would probably pass on that, I dont want to mess with my Maverick and dont trust my soldering skills enough to do it. I dont usually cook in the snow but I made an exception since my entire family was there.

pixcolor
03-14-2013, 03:13 PM
I sent a few weeks ago.
the Florida buyer had received on Jan.26, which I sent the same day as yours
Finally got it! The box had been torn open. Everything seemed to be there, but there were no clips for the probes. Do you know if you had included them? I think it had been delivered to the wrong address here, and someone opened it before dropping it off in my mailbox..

woodpelletsmoker
03-14-2013, 07:12 PM
I will send you a few clips. It is really strange. If it took so long time, it must go different places

rajewest
03-15-2013, 07:58 PM
I am new to the Bretheren, and have enjoyed reading all of your post, After much consideration have just ordered the dog package and am looking forward to trying it out

woodpelletsmoker
03-15-2013, 11:18 PM
I am new to the Bretheren, and have enjoyed reading all of your post, After much consideration have just ordered the dog package and am looking forward to trying it out

I sent it via HongKong. You shall receive in 7 to 14 days.
Please note 50 CFM fan is really stronger. It is great help to start a fire in your smoker.
If it is too big to blow ash around for low&slow smoking, you can simply set parameter of Hdc as 40, 50, 60 ect. Just try different data and find the best for your very own smoker.

rajewest
03-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Received Dog package today, 15 days from order, will be installing this week and lokking forward to trying it out.

willbird
04-04-2013, 10:28 PM
I found this thread from a link in another thread. Very interesting controller, lots of features with $1 change back from a $100 bill :-).

Speaking of the small ceramic grill, Alton Brown did a segment where he used a flower pot and a hot plate.

I'm not sure if it would take charcoal heat or not, similar to this........

http://wiki.colar.net/flower_pot_bbq_smoker

rajewest
04-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Just built a new UDS and have it controlled by the Golden Dog with 50 CFM FAN, only changes made to default program is that I have set the UDC (fan max to 70 (35 cfm)). Currently have a 8lb turkey breast on. Will be doing Boston Butts after turkey gets done. Controller is working great, Although UDS will maintain Temp consistent on it's own, the controller will give me a piece of mind letting the UDS go all night without worrying about temp falling or spiking.

rajewest
04-08-2013, 08:22 PM
It has been several days since my last cook using the golden dog controller on a UDS. As I stated in my earlier post, I did a turkey breast and the controller worked great. After taking off the turkey, two Butts went on, and turned out great, The controller worked as expected, temp swing +/- 10 degrees in a new drum, overall I am impressed with the operation of the unit. I want to thank everyone on the forum for all of your comments about the products that WPS has to offer, I would recommend that anyone looking for a controller to give his a try.

woodpelletsmoker
04-08-2013, 08:51 PM
It has been several days since my last cook using the golden dog controller on a UDS. As I stated in my earlier post, I did a turkey breast and the controller worked great. After taking off the turkey, two Butts went on, and turned out great, The controller worked as expected, temp swing +/- 10 degrees in a new drum, overall I am impressed with the operation of the unit. I want to thank everyone on the forum for all of your comments about the products that WPS has to offer, I would recommend that anyone looking for a controller to give his a try.
Happy to hear.
You can fine tune parameters of P,I,D, which is a trial and error process.
You can keep temp. swing under +/- 2F.

rajewest
04-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Have completed two more cooks using the controller on UDS, First cook was four chicken halves, controller worked great, set controller and let it go. Second cook last night was two butts. Controller with 50CFM Fan, programmed as follows, target temp 240 (to allow for temp swing) fan speed set at 60%. I let the drum get up to 235 on it own, then powered on controller in Auto, temp stabilized at 240, temp swing +/- 2 degrees. Put Butts on and never worried, maximum hi temp swing ever noticed +12 for about 2 minutes, and max low swing noticed -10 degrees. I have not changed PID settings and could not be happier. Once again thanks to all.

Helliko
06-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Has anyone tried this with a mini WSM? I'm fairly new to smoking and just built a mini (which I love) and thinking about getting a temperature controller. I am very intrigued by the Golden Dog. Will the one labeled "Flange C for Offset" fit in one of the weber smokey joe gold air intake holes or do I need the one called "Flange D for Weber series" ?

woodpelletsmoker
06-25-2013, 11:01 PM
You need flange D