PDA

View Full Version : Rib Questions

bearnakedbbq
10-21-2012, 12:40 PM
So I am getting a little nervous about the upcoming Jack competition.

This will be my 8th contest and my inexperience is starting to get to me. Guess I shouldn’t read so much before a competition since it has my mind all screwed up.

Today, I have been reading about ribs and I am lost. My question is what should be the internal temp of the ribs be? One site says 140, the other 165 and I went to a class and think they said 210 ish.

I am also having a hard time understanding how people are cooking ribs for 5 to 6 hours. I use a Green Mt. Grill and if I left my ribs in for this long I would end up with jerky.

I have been cooking them at 270, but since starting doing them at 225 since I was burning them. I would only cook them for about two to three hours, foil for 30 to 45 min. then sauce and back on the grill for no more than 10min.

Last thing is I have been using Berkshire ribs so any of you that currently use or have cook these for competitions in the past, I would be interested in your opinion.

Anyone want to give me some advice?

Thanks.

Troy

Ford
10-21-2012, 07:21 PM
What scores are you getting in taste and tenderness? Very few cook ribs to a temp. It's practice and feel. At 225 St. Louis go for 2.5 to 3 hours. At that point if you pick them up in the middle they will curl down a few inches. Wrap for 1.5 hours then carefully remove from foil. They will seem to be overdone from the steaming of the liquids you use when wrapping. Sauce both sides and back on for 30 to 45 minutes. Try this and adjust times as you practice. It may take 10 cooks to refine cooking process. Meat should bite cleanly from bone with very little pull and bone should be dry. Over usually beats under.

Smokin Mike
10-21-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't know, but I would think Berkshire is alittle to rich in taste for most judges.

^^Ford is correct.

QTEX
10-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Have never cooked ribs to temp, do like Ford Says, its taste and tenderness and feel.

huminie
10-27-2012, 11:48 PM
I would say you did pretty good in ribs...and amazing overall considering it was your 8th contest! :thumb: