PDA

View Full Version : KCBS and Restaraunt Depot no more

ButchB
10-18-2012, 02:07 PM
I went to print off my coupon so I could run to Restaurant Depot and pick some stuff up and the coupon is gone. Called KCBS and they said RD pulled their membership. Anybody got anymore ideas on where to get some good meat? Thanks

Teamfour
10-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Looks like the mention of RD has been pulled from the KCBS discounts listing.

columbia1
10-18-2012, 02:15 PM
WOW!!!
at least they did it in the slow part of the BBQ season.

JerryA
10-18-2012, 02:16 PM
I asked earlier this week about that, this was the response:

We have been informed that new negotiations for Restaurant Depot is being worked on. At this point we have not had any confirmation as to when and if it will be available for our members. The best I can offer is to check back from time to time on the website in the KCBS discount section once you have logged in and check for all current discounts. All sponsorships and discounts are not handled directly through the KCBS office here but by a advertising company whom KCBS has worked with over the last several years.

Thank You,

Carla Page
Manager, Member Services
Administrative Assistant
cPage@KCBS.us (http://us.mc1204.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=cPage@KCBS.us)
Membership@KCBS.us (http://us.mc1204.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Membership@KCBS.us)

speers90
10-18-2012, 02:17 PM
I was just there today and they let me in with my KCBS card.

landarc
10-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Befriend a restaurant owner

SirPorkaLot
10-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Befriend a restaurant owner

Or pretend to be a restaurant owner :mrgreen:

I have two valid RD membership cards that came free when I registered with them as Sir Porkalot BBQ.

All I needed was a biz license.

To get the biz license, I did this:

Get an EIN (free from Fed Gov't (http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-%28EIN%29-Online))
Take EIN and go to local City Hall and paid $24.95 to get annual license.
Go to RD with Biz license - get 2 membership cards good for the year.

Cheaper than a KCBS membership and can't be taken away for the next year :mrgreen:

fnbish
10-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Or pretend to be a restaurant owner :mrgreen:

I have two valid RD membership cards that came free when I registered with them as Sir Porkalot BBQ.

All I needed was a biz license.

To get the biz license, I did this:

Get an EIN (free from Fed Gov't (http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-%28EIN%29-Online))
Take EIN and go to local City Hall and paid $24.95 to get annual license.
Go to RD with Biz license - get 2 membership cards good for the year.

Cheaper than a KCBS membership and can't be taken away for the next year :mrgreen:

They gave you a restaurant biz license without a health inspection? I went to mine and they said I couldn't get the license without the inspection. So since I didn't have a place to be inspected I thought that was it?

gtr
10-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Fark! I was gonna go there tomorrow to get meat for a fundraiser. :doh:

E Mellow
10-18-2012, 02:49 PM
The RD here just requires that you have a business license, they do not discriminate against businesses that are not restaurants.

Non-for-profits with the proper paperwork can also get a membership.

didisea
10-18-2012, 02:54 PM
You can also just register a business name with your state, - it doesn't have to be your BBQ name, in fact I just replaced "BBQ" with "Enterprises," and get a business license. $20 one time fee in our state (WA).

You do need to file a breif business tax return on an annual basis, but if you had no sales, it takes about 2mins to complete and mail.

Then take your state business license to RD and get your cards.

Kave Dweller
10-18-2012, 03:06 PM
I went to the local RD last night showed my KCBS card and got a 1 day pass at the front desk.

The_Kapn
10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Does RD charge a membership fee if you just have a qualifying business and join?
Was the KCBS one free.

I could look it up, but I am lazy this PM :grin:

TIM

nthole
10-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Well that sucks. But sounds like if you just go they might let you in. I was planning on going next week, guess I'll find out if they won't let me in!

SirPorkaLot
10-18-2012, 03:45 PM
They gave you a restaurant biz license without a health inspection? I went to mine and they said I couldn't get the license without the inspection. So since I didn't have a place to be inspected I thought that was it?

I registered my business as a private caterer, and no such health inspection was required.

However I did NOT get a food service license, just a tax permit basically. RD was happy with it.

SirPorkaLot
10-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Does RD charge a membership fee if you just have a qualifying business and join?
Was the KCBS one free.

I could look it up, but I am lazy this PM :grin:

TIM

RD charged me $0.00 for membership and two cards. :mrgreen:

gtr
10-18-2012, 04:26 PM
It would have been nice for KCBS to give advance notice of this. I could have saved $35. I joined last year (and renewed this year) to get the discount prices for an annual fundraiser, so now I'm paying retail and also out an add'l $35. Seems that this sort of info would be worth mentioning to members.

mcbrew13
10-18-2012, 04:49 PM
This sucks. I love that place.
I don't know how you guys are just showing your cards. RD must be trained in your area. I always have to print out the coupon in Denver. Hopefully they figure it out. I consider this worth renewing my KCBS.

MoKanMeathead
10-18-2012, 04:56 PM
I got a free TIN from the IRS, took it RD and got a membership - they asked me how many cards I wanted. Didn't require a business license.

SirPorkaLot
10-18-2012, 05:03 PM
I got a free TIN from the IRS, took it RD and got a membership - they asked me how many cards I wanted. Didn't require a business license.

I tried it here with just my EIN, but no go, they wanted a biz license.

Guess it matters where you are at.

dmprantz
10-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Those of you who register as a business to get an RD license, are your purchases tax free, or only if you also register for a tax exempt status? If the former, the paranoid person in me says to be careful. If you are buying product for resale (i.e. no sales tax) and not actually reselling at least some of it, your state revenue department may not be happy with you.

I'd also think through things about how you register a business. For instance, in TN, the rules for trailers used for "business purposes" are different (i.e. more expensive) than those used for "personal purposes." That is a big part of why my old team was not a business: I didn't want to have to pay for a business title on it.

Just some things to consider...

dmp

Uncle Buds BBQ
10-18-2012, 05:23 PM
This is right off of the RD website...

*Restaurant Depot is wholesale only. To qualify for a free membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization.

I just happen to have cards for a business and for a non-profit (high school football concessions).

Each year the RD asks for a copy of my current biz license but don't ask for the non-profit.

In my county the biz license costs $108 based on my paltry amount of revenue each year.

Your mileage may vary. :shocked:

Toddler
10-18-2012, 05:23 PM
You don't have to necessarily be registered as a business in your state to get an EIN:

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp

Apply online, takes about 5 minutes to get a PDF you can use to open a bank account or whatever else you need. Most likely the girl at the service desk will take that and run with it--if not, come back another day I guess.

I sent an email to Steve Farrin (KCBS BoD member) asking if he can provice any clarification on the general KCBS/RD situation.

fnbish
10-18-2012, 05:34 PM
I tried it here with just my EIN, but no go, they wanted a biz license.

Guess it matters where you are at.

Same for me. They definitely wanted the biz license.

SirPorkaLot
10-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Those of you who register as a business to get an RD license, are your purchases tax free, or only if you also register for a tax exempt status? If the former, the paranoid person in me says to be careful. If you are buying product for resale (i.e. no sales tax) and not actually reselling at least some of it, your state revenue department may not be happy with you.

I'd also think through things about how you register a business. For instance, in TN, the rules for trailers used for "business purposes" are different (i.e. more expensive) than those used for "personal purposes." That is a big part of why my old team was not a business: I didn't want to have to pay for a business title on it.

Just some things to consider...

dmp

I pay taxes at RD.

When I set it up, I did not set it up as a reseller, and set it up instead as a private chef (end user) and asked that they tax me so there would not be any issues down the road.

sdbbq1234
10-18-2012, 05:59 PM
I think we paid about $125.00 total for EIN, business license and stuff for Virginia.

Considering the options for brisket, pork butts, parsley, Cambro, Minor's products, well, there was no options.

Heck, I still have a 50 mile drive 1 way to the closet RD. But, it is worth it.

Out here in Northern VA area, there is no option for brisket except from our butcher and that is up to $3.79lb!!!

Trust me, it is worth it. But, I hate going there cause I am like a kid in a candy store once inside.

My wife says my eyes get glazed over once I enter. :mrgreen:

wallace

Teamfour
10-18-2012, 06:07 PM
I think we paid about $125.00 total for EIN, business license and stuff for Virginia.

I looked into the NOVA license today. What address did you use for your license? I see if I use my home address I have to pay for an inspection. Any tips you can PM would be greatly appreciated.

sdbbq1234
10-18-2012, 06:24 PM
I used my home address. The license is not for a resteraunt, but rather a license to do business.

wallace

Q-Dat
10-18-2012, 09:31 PM
RD told me that any business license can get you a membership. It doesn't have to be food service related. I think the memberships are just to keep the general public from crowding the place.

Also Churches and other not for profit groups can get tax free memberships.

chriscw81
10-18-2012, 09:36 PM
This seriously saddens me. I was planning on getting the kcbs membership tomorrow and draining my bank account on saturday.

Question: my neighbor friends have a construction business and also a tanning business. Is it possible for them to get a memberships and they authorize me and I get a RD card?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sdbbq1234
10-18-2012, 09:41 PM
This seriously saddens me. I was planning on getting the kcbs membership tomorrow and draining my bank account on saturday.

Question: my neighbor friends have a construction business and also a tanning business. Is it possible for them to get a memberships and they authorize me and I get a RD card?

Try it; what do you have to lose.

wallace

bigdogphin
10-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Just walk into a RD and play completely dumb and be nice. Say you shopped there before. Have a business card of your BBQ team handy....and I bet you get at least a day pass if not a full membership...

Slamdunkpro
10-18-2012, 10:11 PM

Yes, there is no limit to the number of cards RD gives to a membership. Cards are not tied to individuals so you don't need any authorization. Have them set up a cash/credit card account and pay sales tax and you're good to go.

chriscw81
10-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Yes, there is no limit to the number of cards RD gives to a membership. Cards are not tied to individuals so you don't need any authorization. Have them set up a cash/credit card account and pay sales tax and you're good to go.

Hmmm so if can talk said neighbor in to going all they have to do is set up an account and chose to pay tax on all purchases? I'd hate to say......"hey neighbor, open a credit card so I can get brisket and tri-tip at a good price" lol

Q-Dat
10-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Hmmm so if can talk said neighbor in to going all they have to do is set up an account and chose to pay tax on all purchases? I'd hate to say......"hey neighbor, open a credit card so I can get brisket and tri-tip at a good price" lol

Well if the neighbors are going to get to eat some of said brisket.

dhuffjr
10-19-2012, 07:01 AM

Yes, it will have the persons name on it that opens the account but you can use it. I am an authorized user for a friends automotive shop's account. There are no accounts set up you pay when you purchase, at least I do.

Warthog
10-19-2012, 07:32 AM
I still use my KCBS RD card. The alarm goes off but the girl behind the counter presses a few buttons and I am good to go. I would think KCBS would realize that the RD account was a big draw for many members. Lets hope they get this worked out. My fallback would be my brother in law who is an electrician and has a RD account from his business. I do have an EIN number but NJ wants $100 for a business license.

va92bronco
10-19-2012, 07:56 AM
RD revoking KCBS memberships right now is not surprising to me at all. Found out a couple of months ago that RD is opening a branch in Richmond probably 10 minutes away from me in December. Before it was about two hours away. :evil:

Was waiting till the Richmond branch opened to go my first time. Might have to try plan B. Parents own their own business. Not food related, but maybe I'll get lucky and it will work.

GMDGeek
10-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Well I wanted to set up my Q team as a Business anyways ...now to dig in an read up on it in the state of Texas.

I do know I did an LLC for my Photography. Wonder if that license will work.

chriscw81
10-19-2012, 08:10 AM
RD revoking KCBS memberships right now is not surprising to me at all. Found out a couple of months ago that RD is opening a branch in Richmond probably 10 minutes away from me in December. Before it was about two hours away. :evil:

Was waiting till the Richmond branch opened to go my first time. Might have to try plan B. Parents own their own business. Not food related, but maybe I'll get lucky and it will work.

Their website says there is already one in richmond, thats the one I was planning on going to. I haven't called them yet though.

Slamdunkpro
10-19-2012, 08:21 AM

When I said cash/credit card what I meant was a pay at the register account vs an account with 30 day terms or where you can write a check.

BTW depending on which side of Fredricksburg you're on Alexandria might be closer.

va92bronco
10-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Their website says there is already one in richmond, thats the one I was planning on going to. I haven't called them yet though.

I heard Dec 2012. RD website had 1st quarter of 2013. They don't have phone numbers listed as of yet. They are converting a Kroger that closed several months ago. Believe me. I've been keeping an eye on this building waiting for it to open. Might have to camp out the night before it opens so I can be the first one:pound:

gtr
10-19-2012, 09:30 AM
I looked through the KCBS website and didn't see any mention of it other than the RD logo was removed from their discount page. I'm guessing KCBS figured the best way to let people know was to have them show up at RD and get turned away?

chriscw81
10-19-2012, 10:19 AM
When I said cash/credit card what I meant was a pay at the register account vs an account with 30 day terms or where you can write a check.

BTW depending on which side of Fredricksburg you're on Alexandria might be closer.

Oh, I see what ya mean now. The business owner opens an account where they pay tax at purchase and they can authorize a non-relative to purchase with their account. Right? I live in south fredericksburg so richmond is a bit closer, I think. Besides, I have horrible horrible dreams at night about washington/alexandria traffic. :eek:

Thanks for the help :D

EDIT: va92bronco said the richmond store, in fact, is not open yet. I may be parked alexandria traffic some time ;-)

chriscw81
10-19-2012, 10:27 AM
I heard Dec 2012. RD website had 1st quarter of 2013. They don't have phone numbers listed as of yet. They are converting a Kroger that closed several months ago. Believe me. I've been keeping an eye on this building waiting for it to open. Might have to camp out the night before it opens so I can be the first one:pound:

Sad news, but thanks for letting me know. Don't forget to let the brethren know when it finally opens. :D

Slamdunkpro
10-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Oh, I see what ya mean now. The business owner opens an account where they pay tax at purchase and they can authorize a non-relative to purchase with their account. Right? I live in south fredericksburg so richmond is a bit closer, I think. Besides, I have horrible horrible dreams at night about washington/alexandria traffic. :eek:

EDIT: va92bronco said the richmond store, in fact, is not open yet. I may be parked alexandria traffic some time ;-)

The Alexandria RD is right off 495 & Eisenhower Ave so no need to go into Alexandria proper. It's an easy on/off

CBQ
10-19-2012, 08:24 PM

If you aren't set up to buy stuff on credit or be tax exempt its very simple. My RD card has the name of the organization on it, not a person. Anyone carrying it can shop there. Get a business owner to sign up for a non credit account and ask for extra cards. There is no charge.

chriscw81
10-19-2012, 08:43 PM
If you aren't set up to buy stuff on credit or be tax exempt its very simple. My RD card has the name of the organization on it, not a person. Anyone carrying it can shop there. Get a business owner to sign up for a non credit account and ask for extra cards. There is no charge.

Hmmm. So the card doesn't have a persons name on it, only the business name and they only ask for the card at the front door?

pburney
10-20-2012, 08:21 AM
:doh:I was going to go next week anyone been turned away yet. Its about a 2hr round trip and i dont want to drive it for nothing

CBQ
10-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Hmmm. So the card doesn't have a persons name on it, only the business name and they only ask for the card at the front door?

Yes. They may scan the card at check out, but if you aren't charging stuff on the card, they aren't concerned about who holds it. My card doesn't have a person's name, and isn't signed, so anyone can carry it. I got 5 cards, so my teammates all have them too.

As others have pointed out, any business license will do. It does NOT have to be a food related business.

chriscw81
10-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Yes. They may scan the card at check out, but if you aren't charging stuff on the card, they aren't concerned about who holds it. My card doesn't have a person's name, and isn't signed, so anyone can carry it. I got 5 cards, so my teammates all have them too.

As others have pointed out, any business license will do. It does NOT have to be a food related business.

Awesome.

---k---
10-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Funny, I hadn't heard about this until today while in RD. But, I didn't hear about it from them. I heard about it from another Brethren who I bumped into in front of the Brisket.

When I got to RD today, I went to the desk, showed my card and asked for a day pass. The lady behind the counter said that one was already on the screen. I was good to go. No mention of this.

whskyrnnr322
10-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Bummer!

jmcrig
10-21-2012, 12:07 AM
Went to RD today and used my RD card with KCBS on it. No problems at all. They took my money just like usual.

SmokeFan
10-21-2012, 04:52 AM
Sorry Brethren. It's all my fault. See, I just got a KCBS membership last week expressly for RD access. Figures it would go away. Didnt even get to go there once. I'm still gonna try it next week though.

NeoTrout
10-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Funny, I hadn't heard about this until today while in RD. But, I didn't hear about it from them. I heard about it from another Brethren who I bumped into in front of the Brisket.

When I got to RD today, I went to the desk, showed my card and asked for a day pass. The lady behind the counter said that one was already on the screen. I was good to go. No mention of this.

That was me. I used my RD card with KCBS on it. Scanned my card..."welcome"..No mention of anything. Hope it lasts. :cool:

chriscw81
10-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Sorry Brethren. It's all my fault. See, I just got a KCBS membership last week expressly for RD access. Figures it would go away. Didnt even get to go there once. I'm still gonna try it next week though.

It seems not everyone is getting turned away, its worth a try if you don't have to drive too far.

sunrise
10-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I did the same thing, you can get a license without a health inspection, all they want are the $$$, dont try to sell food with it though, and watch what kind of taxes they will expect. You know government agencys

shirknwrk
10-21-2012, 09:29 PM
I show my KCBS card and get a one day pass. No discount. Pay taxes. Never offered a permanent card. OK by me... Just like the selection and prices. Has anyone been rejected for a one day pass?

jmcrig
10-21-2012, 10:21 PM
I show my KCBS card and get a one day pass. No discount. Pay taxes. Never offered a permanent card. OK by me... Just like the selection and prices. Has anyone been rejected for a one day pass?

The RD in Mesa, AZ. just preferred to give out permanent cards. They felt it was easier for them. Using the card with KCBS on it, they automaticly collect the sales tax. If you're spending money with them, they like it. There's a lot of competition for the food dollars in Phoenix. Sams, Costco, RD, and 5 grocery chains.

Ackman
10-22-2012, 06:20 AM
Membership is now showing as free on the RD site---

markG
10-22-2012, 08:11 AM

So how do you sign up online using a KCBS membership? Can you provide a link? Thanks!

markG
10-22-2012, 08:14 AM
I did find this link to a coupon to print off and use with a KCBS membership card. I might give this a try and see how it goes.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx139/scsimpson/RDKCBS.jpg

Wampus
10-22-2012, 10:05 PM
I got my RD membership by using an old construction business that I got an EIN and registered with state of IN. The business is in my name and hasn't even been active for years, but it still got me in at RD.

In IN I think it only cost me about $40 to register the business name and I believe the EIN was free or next to it.

The RD membership itself was free. As with any other perishable grocery items, I don't pay taxes for meat, produce, in general.....food. I only pay taxes on equipment or supplies.

Diva Q
10-22-2012, 10:55 PM
I have used my KCBS card at many different RD locations this year in GA,NC,MO,OH,PA,MI and NY. I have never had a problem. I just showed them the card and it was never an issue.

drbbq
10-23-2012, 08:37 AM
I got a RD card in the early days of the KCBS relationship and that card was still valid yesterday.

jmcrig
10-23-2012, 11:34 AM

You're right, RD's site says the membership is free. It has been as far as I remember. It's the fine print that says you have to bring in a copy of your business lic. or tax exempt card to get the membership. They don't care what the business is, as long as you have the lic.

Divemaster
10-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Went to RD today and used my RD card with KCBS on it. No problems at all. They took my money just like usual.

That was me. I used my RD card with KCBS on it. Scanned my card..."welcome"..No mention of anything. Hope it lasts. :cool:

I got a RD card in the early days of the KCBS relationship and that card was still valid yesterday.

That's the news I wanted to hear. I too got one of the 'Hard Cards' with KCBS on it and was worried that it wouldn't work.

jmcrig
10-23-2012, 03:11 PM
That's the news I wanted to hear. I too got one of the 'Hard Cards' with KCBS on it and was worried that it wouldn't work.

I think the bottom line is that "They want you to spend money with them".

DawgPhan
10-23-2012, 03:32 PM
It doesnt take much to get a card. some business cards and a little sweet talking and you should be good. they used to make you "renew" each year by bringing in your papers but they have even stopped that.

I have 2 different cards that I use and I have been using one over the other more recently and they sent someone to my house to invite me back with some coupons. They want your money. give them a reason to give you a card and they will.

Hidoyle
10-23-2012, 03:38 PM
I think the bottom line is that "They want you to spend money with them".

As a KCBS member, all you have to do is show your current KCBS membership card and they will give you a temp card to use that day. You can shop just like everyone else except you will have to pay tax on your items. I went to the store in KC today with no issues. However, they will check the date on your card to make sure it's current.....they've had problems with that.

fnbish
10-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I used mine yesterday and they still gave me a pass without flinching.

gtr
10-25-2012, 01:01 PM
I went yesterday to one in L.A. I'm pretty sure they don't have nearly as many KCBS members coming in as other locations across the country. The woman was unfamiliar with the KCBS thing, but I had a printout of the instructions that used to be on the KCBS site, which she followed. She went to the site and said "oh, that deal is over" but she was a sweetheart and gave me a day pass anyway.

jmcrig
10-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Just give them a reason to let you spend your money with them. It's still about the dollar.

osx-addict
10-25-2012, 06:43 PM
I went yesterday to one in L.A. I'm pretty sure they don't have nearly as many KCBS members coming in as other locations across the country. The woman was unfamiliar with the KCBS thing, but I had a printout of the instructions that used to be on the KCBS site, which she followed. She went to the site and said "oh, that deal is over" but she was a sweetheart and gave me a day pass anyway.

GTR -- was that the one in Torrance near the harbor freeway? When I visited there a couple of weeks ago (2 weeks ago tomorrow) the lady (an asian lady as I recall) didn't seem to know about it either -- but I didn't say anything and she gave me the day pass -- without filling out the green sheet like I did the 1st time visit (where that lady was familiar with the process) -- that was on a weekend..

gtr
10-25-2012, 06:46 PM
GTR -- was that the one in Torrance near the harbor freeway? When I visited there a couple of weeks ago (2 weeks ago tomorrow) the lady (an asian lady as I recall) didn't seem to know about it either -- but I didn't say anything and she gave me the day pass -- without filling out the green sheet like I did the 1st time visit (where that lady was familiar with the process) -- that was on a weekend..

I was at the one on Jefferson a few blocks east of La Cienega - not the one in Torrance.

osx-addict
10-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks.. I've not been to that one.. I'll give it a shot again and see if I get in or not.. Thx!!

BigAshHole
10-25-2012, 07:47 PM

All you need is a State TAX ID. Most of the time because you can list it as a sole proprietorship you wont even have to file a return. At least in NJ. It was painless and fast.