PDA

View Full Version : In search of good Texas Q!

ardorx
10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Brethren,

I come to you in need of help and direction...I'm now in entering day 12 of a 23 day business trip that has me here in Houston. I'm actually staying south in the town of Pearland. I try to eat Q wherever I see a sign no matter the state I'm in. I've come up 0-3 so far during my stay here. HELP :shocked: I've only encountered dry beef, bland sausage and a few other meats that I'm not sure I should have eaten:doh:

I know that great Q is here in this great state I just haven't stumbled on it yet. I do plan on heading west towards austin/lockhart to try out the "heavy hitters" everyone knows about, gotta at least go to franklin once among all the others over there. My ? for the brethren is where do I find the local stuff here around houston in the mean time? I've already tried Goode Company here in Houston and it left a lot to be desired. The floor is yours :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Josh

Westexbbq
10-15-2012, 08:51 PM
I will be in Houston tomorrow afternoon to visit family. (Mom's 87th birthday with my three younger brothers etc. If we hit a bbq in Houston it'll probably be Goode Company.
Plans are to hit Canyon Lake near New Braunfels (and try the other Coopers (not LLano).
Sorry to hear you have come up dry so far but keep trying, you should hit pay dirt soon.

(I think the closer you get to the Hill country, the better your chances are, check out Lockhart if you can.)

Johnny_Crunch
10-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Goode Co. Is nothing special. Carl's BBQ on 290 in Cypress is good and Luling City Market is awesome.

http://www.lulingcitymarket.com/

NorthwestBBQ
10-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Pitmaster T's house.

ardorx
10-15-2012, 09:18 PM
I will be in Houston tomorrow afternoon to visit family. (Mom's 87th birthday with my three younger brothers etc. If we hit a bbq in Houston it'll probably be Goode Company.
Plans are to hit Canyon Lake near New Braunfels (and try the other Coopers (not LLano).
Sorry to hear you have come up dry so far but keep trying, you should hit pay dirt soon.

(I think the closer you get to the Hill country, the better your chances are, check out Lockhart if you can.)

May have to give Goode another shot then...tried them first when I got here, went to the Kirby location. Should I try another location or just go back there? May have just caught them on a bad day (it had been the best of the 3 so far). Great to hear you are doing the family thing tomorrow with mom @ 87, that is truly a blessing! Thanks for the feedback. Plan to go to Lockhart after hitting Franklin in Austin, need to make the 6 hour round trip worth it!

ardorx
10-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Pitmaster T's house.

Haha very true! I think he's about an hour southeast of me! At least I know that would be worth the drive!

Bludawg
10-15-2012, 10:42 PM
When I worked out of Houston about 6 yrs ago I used to go o Pappas BBQ down town IIRC it was on Pierce in the 1200 blk. for Houston I thought it wasn't bad.

ardorx
10-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the ideas so far, I'll report back with my findings

RangerJ
10-16-2012, 11:59 AM
I certainly don't think anything in my hometown is special other than what I cook.

However if you go by the mass votes, then Gatlin's is supposed to be the best. its a bit of a haul from where your at.

Also, I've heard good things about corkscrew BBQ way up north in the woodlands. I've never eaten at either one of these.

Pappa's will be similar to Goode company. Pizzitolas has been around for ever and has decent ribs and is supposedly working on improving their brisket.

I'd stick with Tex Mex or Cajun if I was you!