PDA

View Full Version : bbq in N C

seattlepitboss
10-11-2012, 07:29 AM
On the Blue Ridge Parkway heading south towards Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Have always heard about regional differences in NC BBQ and want to see for myself. Do you know of any excellent Q joints? Thanks - seattlepiboss (long ways from home)

BigBlock
10-11-2012, 08:20 AM
1 smokey mountain bbq 1008 s jefferson hwy west jefferson nc
2 the woodlands bbq resteraunt 8304 valley blvd blowing rock nc
3 bandana's bar b que 1475 hwy 105 s boone nc
let me know what you think

Gnaws on Pigs
10-11-2012, 08:39 AM
You're right in my backyard, I live just off the Parkway near the southern end, but I don't eat out bbq much. The best traditional NC bbq joints are in the central/eastern part of the state, (a lot of restaurants in western NC cater to the tastes of tourists, who seem to like their bbq covered in sweet ketchup,) but there are some decent ones around here. Pretty much a crapshoot at times. A pretty good one in Maggie Valley burned down awhile back, but there are a couple decent ones there and in Waynesville. 12 Bones in Asheville isn't bad either. Some of the best bbq is guys at flea markets and roadside stands and such with a trailer cooker. If you see a pit and smell hickory smoke, give it a try. Avoid the fancy looking joints that cater to tourists and hit the dives. I would be glad to feed you some authentic NC Q, but I'm headed out the door for a weekend deer hunting trip.

bo_gator
10-11-2012, 09:11 AM
I Waynesville, NC 'Big Mountain BBQ' is about the best you can find.

In Dillsboro, NC the 'Smokehouse' is pretty good.

In Cashiers, NC their non-related 'Smokehouse' is really good, and was on the first season of 'Feasting on Asphalt' with Alton Brown.

In Bryson City, NC the 'BBQ Wagon' doesn't look like much, but has some darn fine pig inside.

In Franklin, NC there is 'Cash's BBQ' which is just a shed and some picnic tables, but has some good pig, I'd skip the brisket though.

More to the east is 'Moe's original BBQ' in Asheville, NC, it is ok but sort of a mix of styles.

Gnaws on Pigs
10-11-2012, 09:17 AM
I Waynesville, NC 'Big Mountain BBQ' is about the best you can find.

In Dillsboro, NC the 'Smokehouse' is pretty good.

In Cashiers, NC their non-related 'Smokehouse' is really good, and was on the first season of 'Feasting on Asphalt' with Alton Brown.

In Bryson City, NC the 'BBQ Wagon' doesn't look like much, but has some darn fine pig inside.

In Franklin, NC there is 'Cash's BBQ' which is just a shed and some picnic tables, but has some good pig, I'd skip the brisket though.

More to the east is 'Moe's original BBQ' in Asheville, NC, it is ok but sort of a mix of styles.

Is Big Mountain the one in the old house off the Hazlewood exit? I couldn't remember the name. Oh, and definitely don't eat at Fat Buddy's. :)

bbqbrad
10-11-2012, 09:27 AM
The bbq man in Hudson. I stop by every summer when I go to Boone.

bbq man llc - Google Maps

gtr
10-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Stop in a grocery store along the way and find the "Carolina Treet" cooking sauce. Buy a lot of it - it's especially great for chicken.

bo_gator
10-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Is Big Mountain the one in the old house off the Hazlewood exit? I couldn't remember the name. Oh, and definitely don't eat at Fat Buddy's. :)

Yeah, that's it. There is also a good one in Cruso (sp) but I can't remember it's name. :wacko: